The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#76 2023-05-11 21:22:34

Ion
Member
From: Central European Time
Registered: 2023-05-11
Posts: 3  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

Ion wrote:

and the netinstall choice seems logical for a web server (that doesn't need a desktop environment).

Except there's a server ISO image…
Well, indeed, I saw the CD2, 3 and 4 and not knowing if this was only for the desktop ISO or for the server ISO too, I thought, well, the netinstall certainly doesn't need those and I went for the netinstall (and that forgot about that).
And now, seeing the size of the desktop ISO, I realize those CD2, 3 and 4 are not for the desktop.
So, I'll try the server ISO and see what will happen.
Edition: I've tried and it installed correctly but then, I can't use apt, there must be some problem with the repository, I'll look at that later, I must sleep now…
Bye.

Last edited by Ion (2023-05-12 01:54:48)


The pseudonym I use is a dedication to my late-cousin…

Offline

#77 2023-05-13 09:33:11

aitor
Member
From: basque country
Registered: 2016-12-03
Posts: 230  
Website

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

Ion wrote:

Edition: I've tried and it installed correctly but then, I can't use apt, there must be some problem with the repository.

If it turns out that I'm updating the repo in the meantime, it won't work correctly throughout the update process and you have to wait for a period of time before trying again.

Did you install the server iso? If so, I recommend you to beep up the wired device using ifupdown and install simple-netaid-cdk afterwards, that is the ncurses interface for simple-netaid. But don't forget to add yourself to the netaid group in order to get ubus working in simple-netaid. In doing so, you'll be able to make use of some networking tools such as wpasupplicant, ifupdown, ip, etc, without root permissions. In summary, all you need to do is:

# ifup eth0
# apt-get update
# apt-get install simple-netaid-cdk
# usermod -aG netaid $USER

Then reboot the system and run simple-netaid-cdk as a regular user.

Pay attention to your /etc/network/interfaces.


If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

Offline

#78 2023-05-14 01:07:26

Ion
Member
From: Central European Time
Registered: 2023-05-11
Posts: 3  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

aitor wrote:

Did you install the server iso?

Yes.

aitor wrote:

If so, I recommend you to beep up the wired device using ifupdown

How is it that with the regular ISO the systems connects automatically and with the server ISO, it doesn't?

aitor wrote:

and install simple-netaid-cdk afterwards, that is the ncurses interface for simple-netaid. But don't forget to add yourself to the netaid group in order to get ubus working in simple-netaid. In doing so, you'll be able to make use of some networking tools such as wpasupplicant, ifupdown, ip, etc, without root permissions.

I prefer to set my server with root and when it's production ready, tie it to the domain name and then use root permission only if necessary.
Also, I prefer to learn by doing my own BASh starting-script. Why not re-inventing the wheels when it helps having a better understanding of the wheels you're using?
I've reinstall the server ISO, it looks like all works fine. Next step is to configure it.
By the way, for each installation I made, didn't check the “Console productivity” task in the installation, what does it contains?

aitor wrote:

Pay attention to your /etc/network/interfaces.

I forgot about that, I'll do it while configuring.

Last edited by Ion (2023-05-14 05:34:21)


The pseudonym I use is a dedication to my late-cousin…

Offline

#79 2023-05-14 13:27:29

aitor
Member
From: basque country
Registered: 2016-12-03
Posts: 230  
Website

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

Ion wrote:

How is it that with the regular ISO the systems connects automatically and with the server ISO, it doesn't?

Other images of gnuinos contain snetaid. The server iso doesn't. On the other hand, devuan images perhaps provide additional stanzas in /etc/network/inerfaces that automatically connect the system to the network as soon as the ethernet wire is plugged in. But these stanzas involve a boot delay if wired connection unppluged. Simple-netaid fixes this drawback without the need of other tools like ifplugd or netplugd.

Ion wrote:

I prefer to set my server with root and when it's production ready, tie it to the domain name and then use root permission only if necessary.
Also, I prefer to learn by doing my own BASh starting-script. Why not re-inventing the wheels when it helps having a better understanding of the wheels you're using?

That's good smile

Ion wrote:

By the way, for each installation I made, didn't check the “Console productivity” task in the installation, what does it contains?

According to its description in debian/control:   "This task installs the console-based tools available in Devuan minimal live. It includes a variety of utilities for system administration, clients for Internet protocols, programs for personal productivity and multimedia, games, and specific tools for blind users.".

The package task-console-productivity just recommends a set of packages listed in debian/control: dialog, zsh, entr, gddrescue, gdisk, htop, iftop, iotop, iw, mtr-tiny, multitail, ncdu, parted, pciutils, psmisc, sudo, time, wavemon, wireless-tools, wpasupplicant, etc. Have a look at the control file for further info.


If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

Offline

#80 2023-05-15 11:07:08

stopAI
Member
Registered: 2023-04-04
Posts: 147  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

Ion wrote:

By the way, for each installation I made, didn't check the “Console productivity” task in the installation, what does it contains?

Hello. Check this list

https://mirror.leaseweb.com/devuan/devu … l-live.txt

Offline

#81 2023-05-20 13:44:51

nparafe
Member
Registered: 2023-05-12
Posts: 2  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

I am using the openbox version and I am really satisfied with it. I would like to thank you for your efforts and for providing us a minimal, solid and ethical operating system.
Some issues and questions I have are:
1) I have made the installation using the live installer but selecting disk encryption failed, is this a known bug?
2) Is there any way to enable backports?
3) If you planning to have a more recent version of Icecat there is "Debian packaging for GNU IceCat "  which as of today has the latest version. Maybe it will work for gnuinos?

Offline

#82 2023-05-23 18:12:44

aitor
Member
From: basque country
Registered: 2016-12-03
Posts: 230  
Website

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

nparafe wrote:

I am using the openbox version and I am really satisfied with it. I would like to thank you for your efforts and for providing us a minimal, solid and ethical operating system.

You're welcome smile

Some issues and questions I have are:
1) I have made the installation using the live installer but selecting disk encryption failed, is this a known bug?

First of all, sorry for the delay...

No, it's not a known bug. Really, I've never done a disk encryption with d-i, and it's time to give it a try. Did you try only with gnuinos chimaera, or did you experience the same issue with the images of gnuinos daedalus on the other hand?

2) Is there any way to enable backports?

Backport don't exist so far. I'll consider to include them in the next stable release (daedalus). Thanks for the suggestion.

3) If you planning to have a more recent version of Icecat there is "Debian packaging for GNU IceCat "  which as of today has the latest version. Maybe it will work for gnuinos?

Thanks for the link, but Icecat 102.11.0 is available in daedalus since last thursday:

http://packages.gnuinos.org/gnuinos/pool/main/i/icecat/

I also updated linux-libre to version 6.1.28 and the preview images of daedalus:

https://www.gnuinos.org/mirror/daedalus/live/


If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

Offline

#83 2023-05-24 07:20:01

nparafe
Member
Registered: 2023-05-12
Posts: 2  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

Thanks for the info.
I am interested in the openbox version mainly. Are there any plans for an openbox live iso for daedalus?

Offline

#84 2023-05-24 19:22:50

aitor
Member
From: basque country
Registered: 2016-12-03
Posts: 230  
Website

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

nparafe wrote:

Are there any plans for an openbox live iso for daedalus?

Yes, of course. The isos still don't exit because they require more time. I'll let you know.


If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

Offline

#85 2023-05-25 20:04:16

zapper
Member
Registered: 2017-05-29
Posts: 907  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

prospero wrote:
zapper wrote:

I always disable touchpad on all my thinkpads if a trackpoint is available

Are you referring to Gnuinos or to Hyperbola? As much as I will celebrate the day HyperbolaBSD is released, this thread is about Gnuinos.

Did a bot erase my reply? geez....

I said both and now I don't see the reply...

...


Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

Offline

#86 2023-05-26 00:26:46

prospero
Member
Registered: 2023-03-26
Posts: 36  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

aitor wrote:

Solved!

It's working in x86 as well smile

This is really good news for 32-bit users!

I am still to try the last 64-bit Daedalus Xfce live ISO. All is well on Chimaera, using Linux-libre 6.1.

Offline

#87 2023-06-23 21:51:35

oui
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 305  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

daedalus i386 : is a good working debootstrap available. can it be started for the live iso to install at a destination on the hard disk (as not all PC's have all enough usb stick places)? If I assume the iso is at /dev/sdb1 and the place is a directory at /mnt/sda6/newGNUinOS/ , what is to do to build the binaries collection, and what is to do to activate it when finish on an empty USB (the place is free now!) stick bzw. build an operable ISO file to make with dd the same result?

Offline

#88 2023-06-24 00:38:37

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 3,235  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

@oui . . . Again it is DAEDALUS not DEADALUS. Please edit your post above to correct. It makes it hard for users to find your feedback because the search function won't be able to find it because it is misspelled. Thank you.

Online

#89 2023-06-24 08:13:41

aitor
Member
From: basque country
Registered: 2016-12-03
Posts: 230  
Website

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

oui wrote:

daedalus i386 : is a good working debootstrap available. can it be started for the live iso to install at a destination on the hard disk (as not all PC's have all enough usb stick places)? If I assume the iso is at /dev/sdb1 and the place is a directory at /mnt/sda6/newGNUinOS/ , what is to do to build the binaries collection, and what is to do to activate it when finish on an empty USB (the place is free now!) stick bzw. build an operable ISO file to make with dd the same result?

Assuming I have understood your question, you're asking about how to install gnuinos from the live iso in a similar way than when you debootstrap the system:

https://gist.github.com/varqox/42e213b6 … filesystem  (***)

If so, below instructions (not tested) might help you.

To start with, download the iso image and create the following two folders at your home directory:

$ mkdir isoimage sqfs

As root, mount the iso image in the earlier one (extracting the iso file is that straightforward and, more often than not, you don't need any additional software):

# mount -o loop gnuinos-5.0.0-daedalus_preview-2023.06.21-xfce_i686.iso isoimage/

Now uncompress the squashfs filesystem to the latter folder:

# mount -t squashfs -o loop isoimage/live/filesystem.squashfs sqfs

At this point you can follow one by one the steps detailed in the above howto (***), but replacing the paragraph "Install base system" which consists in debootstrapping the system via debootstrap --arch amd64 stable /mnt https://deb.debian.org/debian with the command below:

# rsync -v -rlt -a sqfs/ /dev/PARTITION

This command would copy the whole lot to a separate folder in your /dev/PARTITION.

Bear in mind that you need to unmount the squashfs filesystem afterwards:

# umount sqfs/

Good luck!

Last edited by aitor (2023-06-24 08:19:13)


If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

Offline

#90 2023-06-24 08:15:34

aitor
Member
From: basque country
Registered: 2016-12-03
Posts: 230  
Website

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

golinux wrote:

@oui . . . Again it is DAEDALUS not DEADALUS. Please edit your post above to correct. It makes it hard for users to find your feedback because the search function won't be able to find it because it is misspelled. Thank you.

@golinux: very nice theme in daedalus, you did a great job. Thank you!


If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

Offline

#91 2023-06-24 16:41:22

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 3,235  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

Oh, aitor . . . very sweet of you to say that . . .

Online

#92 2023-06-24 18:17:46

prospero
Member
Registered: 2023-03-26
Posts: 36  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

golinux wrote:

because the search function

Well you made me curious, so I searched for d_e_a_dalus in this forum, and guess what came out:

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=4885 big_smile

My actual point is, I too like the sapphire theme very much, it almost feels like deepsea was a sort of preamble, a necessary path that unfolded into sapphire. I now need to get that Gnuinos Daedalus preview back into testing, I just noticed the 2023.06.21 images.

Offline

#93 2023-06-24 19:48:02

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 3,235  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

prospero wrote:
golinux wrote:

because the search function

Well you made me curious, so I searched for d_e_a_dalus in this forum, and guess what came out:

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=4885 big_smile

LOL! /me wipes egg from face . . . I was thinking earlier today that I need to run that search and correct all of them.

prospero wrote:

My actual point is, I too like the sapphire theme very much, it almost feels like deepsea was a sort of preamble, a necessary path that unfolded into sapphire. I now need to get that Gnuinos Daedalus preview back into testing, I just noticed the 2023.06.21 images.

Indeed they are paired and even share some of the same artwork. It is a good way to end my run at theming Devuan. If it weren't for the fact that I can barely deal with a computer these days, I would give Gnuinos a spin myself . . .

Online

#94 2023-07-08 17:45:09

oui
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 305  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

Hi Altos,

I bring the message into the thread whom it is being belong:

aitor wrote:
oui wrote:

actually, my new system was unused. it boots in under 15 s.

Yesterday the comparable analog test with gnuinos need very more than one minute.

As because of electricity sparing because of the attack from Biden against Russia I am turning off the PC each time a go away and start new all the day of lot of times, this aspect of the use become a very important detail. Gnuinos is now dead for me, if I don´t find some way to change that...

Actually, the boot time with vdev as device manager is optimized for runit only (indead, the default init system shown by choose-init-udeb in the installer-isos), and according to my analog tests, the times recorded do not substantially differ when compared to eudev. However, I have in mind to extend this optimization for other inits, although I won't do that until august. In the meantime, if you are running gnuinos with vdev and sysvinit, I suggest that you either change the init system to runit (apt-get install runit runit-init getty-run) or that you replace the device manager with eudev (apt-get install eudev).

While I'm particularly happy with vdev, there is room to do things in the project. For example, another possible idea I'm considering is to unify both libeudev and libudev-compat in a way that the behaviour of the shared library will depend on the running device manager. It wouldn't be that complicated. But I'm aware that I made some mistakes in the past during the vdev integration that might have broken the system, and I'll ensure that it never happens again. Thanks for your patience!

Thank you for your long explaination (that I can't follow: those details are not known by me)!

I suppose you will publish new versions of gnuinos and I will wait as long and will rapport to you later how I see the matter in the coming new version.

Offline

#95 2023-07-08 23:13:55

prospero
Member
Registered: 2023-03-26
Posts: 36  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

Both Gnuinos Chimaera (installed on hdd) and Daedalus (from the live ISO) boot fine and run great here.

I am using the 64-bit Xfce version in both cases, from the last ISO.

Thank you Aitor!

Offline

#96 2023-07-11 17:30:11

oui
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 305  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

nparafe wrote:

Thanks for the info.
I am interested in the openbox version mainly. Are there any plans for an openbox live iso for daedalus?

Huh! I hope it will not happen but the NATURAL JWM version best to make the maintenance more easy!

(Some one try to terribly deform JWM to make out it a terribly poor KDE!)

Offline

#97 2023-07-11 17:32:50

oui
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 305  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

prospero wrote:

Both Gnuinos Chimaera (installed on hdd) and Daedalus (from the live ISO) boot fine and run great here.

I am using the 64-bit Xfce version in both cases, from the last ISO.

Thank you Aitor!

please look at your booting time and compare with the same time at Star/Crowz linux!

Offline

#98 2023-07-16 21:24:33

aitor
Member
From: basque country
Registered: 2016-12-03
Posts: 230  
Website

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

oui wrote:
prospero wrote:

Both Gnuinos Chimaera (installed on hdd) and Daedalus (from the live ISO) boot fine and run great here.

I am using the 64-bit Xfce version in both cases, from the last ISO.

Thank you Aitor!

please look at your booting time and compare with the same time at Star/Crowz linux!

I asked you if you were using vdev with sysvinit. Please, can you give me some details about your installation?


If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

Offline

#99 2023-07-16 21:26:57

aitor
Member
From: basque country
Registered: 2016-12-03
Posts: 230  
Website

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

nparafe wrote:

Thanks for the info.
I am interested in the openbox version mainly. Are there any plans for an openbox live iso for daedalus?

Today I've updated the isos for daedalus, and the openbox version is already available.

You can configure the right-click menu by editing $HOME/.dxmenurc. Default values are:

[xmenu-config]

json_menu_path=
font=SansRegular:size=11,Verdana:size=11
background_color=#162431
foreground_color=#dddddd
selbackground_color=#00509f
selforeground_color=#e0effd
separator_color=#dddddd
border_color=#162431
width_pixels=130
height_pixels=28
border_pixels=4
separator_pixels=20
gap_pixels=6
max_items=0
alignment=0
triangle_width=6
triangle_height=10
iconpadding=2
horzpadding=10
hasicon=1

[dxmenu-xdg-config]

application_launcher=gmrun
terminal_emulator=sakura
file_manager=spacefm
web_browser=icecat
mail_client=claws-mail
logout_dialog=ulogout

Selbackground and selforeground stand selected background and foreground (the foreground color is the text color).

Shortly the ulogout dialog will provide suspend and hibernate options.

Last edited by aitor (2023-07-16 21:35:08)


If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

Offline

#100 2023-07-16 22:02:08

oui
Member
Registered: 2017-09-02
Posts: 305  

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

aitor wrote:
oui wrote:
prospero wrote:

Both Gnuinos Chimaera (installed on hdd) and Daedalus (from the live ISO) boot fine and run great here.

I am using the 64-bit Xfce version in both cases, from the last ISO.

Thank you Aitor!

please look at your booting time and compare with the same time at Star/Crowz linux!

I asked you if you were using vdev with sysvinit. Please, can you give me some details about your installation?

I would effective like to contribute to solve this problem but don't develope myself nor search solutions: I take distros as they are. Your distro or  Refracta, or Star (or Puppy Linux, or Deepin pur or from extix.se under the condition, I know (from precedent experiences with those distros) that I can install only that, what I can start in RAM with the integrated Refracta-Snapshot-Bootutility, also ISO size max. about 3 GO squashed as I have only 8 GB RAM. i do nothing myself conc. the boot operation.

I have made a lot of installations of Star Linux in the last time. ALL, really ALL, boot in max. 15 s. (on my PC, i7 4chore, 8GO), env. plus loading time into the RAM (if option "RAM start"), also after very big post installation (no manipulations: only more packages).

As Star Linux actually upgrades WILLING to Daedalus and comes with tiny Live Versions (about 700 MB ISOS in 64 and in 32 bits), you can try it yourself: download update (upgrade to chimaera plus) upgrade to daedalus plus refractasnapshot plus reboot! noting more!

and if you want you can try my actual max. post installation:

sudo apt install deborphan xli menu jwm refractasnapshot-base refractainstaller-base aqemu winetricks anbox midori didiwiki luakit wordgrinder-x11 mgp cups xsane tesseract-ocr gimagereader samba mtpaint mhwaveedit nted granule kturtle swi-prolog gforth marble-qt merkaartor olive-editor gramps librecad thunar nemo abiword gnumeric osmo gnucash gimp inkscape aeskulap

followed by a next snapshot (after erasing the first one).

it is all!

Last edited by oui (2023-07-16 22:03:17)

Offline

Board footer