The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-09 22:16:59

golinux
Administrator

How you can help Devuan

The love that's been coming Devuan's way has been great but it would be even better if that love transformed into more volunteers helping to improve every aspect of Devuan. Now that we're turning our attention to Ascii, there is certainly plenty to do!  Feedback is essential for Devuan to grow and prosper. Here are some ways you can help:

• Report a bug - If you think you have found a bug in a Devuan package, please report it to http://bugs.devuan.org, either by using the reportbug tool or directly via email

• Fix a bug - If you think you know how to fix an existing bug, please report the solution in the corresponding page on http://bugs.devuan.org, or, better, roll-up your sleeves, implement the fix, and get in touch with the development team on IRC (#devuan-dev on libera) to have your patch included in the official repos

• Share the love - If you would like a package to be included in Devuan, please consider joining the development team by taking charge of packaging and maintaining it. https://git.devuan.org/devuan/documenta … aintainers

• How can we improve? - If you have comments about the website and/or other public aspects of Devuan, please get in touch with jaromil or golinux

Devuan has a wishlist! As we grow, the need for community participation and hardware and financial support increases. Here are some suggestions that will help move us along:

• Test new Devuan packages - When packages are built specifically for Devuan, we need feedback about how they work.  This is something that any Devuan user can contribute!

• Host a mirror - Have extra bandwidth?  Please consider hosting a mirror of Devuan images/repos. Get in touch with Devuan developers on IRC at #devuan-dev` on libera to discuss details

• Build a local community - Devuan encourages multi-lingual support and localized groups. Consider setting up additional support options on the dev1galaxy forum or an email list or IRC channel etc., in your native language. Here are some  suggestions to get you started: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1498#p1498

• Translate language packs for FluxBB - This contribution would allow local communities to use the dev1galaxy.org forum in their native language.  So far Polish, Italian, Swedish and Croation are in process. See: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1528

• Contribute RTFM stuff - Documentation and/or translations in any language are needed. Contributions could go into https://wiki.devuan.org or https://dev1galaxy.org/viewforum.php?id=7

• Donate an ARM development board (50$-100$) (contact parazyd parazyd@dyne.org / #devuan-arm)

• Donate an ARM or ARM64 build host (50$-200$) (contact parazyd parazyd@dyne.org / #devuan-arm)

• Donate a MIPS board (50$-200$) (contact parazyd parazyd@dyne.org)

• Donate PowerPC/Sparc hardware for build/development (contact devs on #devuan-dev)

• Or you can always make a one-time or recurring donation of any amount. Please visit: https://devuan.org/os/donate where we just updated the financial reports.

#2 2017-06-17 17:47:23

gorisis

Re: How you can help Devuan

Hello,

I would like to donate a amount of money on behalf of my company. Will I receive a statement or document I can put in my accountancy?

Many thanks for your work on Devuan.

Issa

#3 2017-06-18 01:27:30

golinux
Administrator

gorisis wrote:

Hello,

I would like to donate a amount of money on behalf of my company. Will I receive a statement or document I can put in my accountancy?

Issa

Hi gorisis . . .

Thank you for supporting Devuan!  If you need a special receipt other than the one from transferring funds from your account, you should talk to jaromil at freedom at devuan dot org to see if that's possible.

#4 2017-06-30 14:55:00

gorisis

Hello golinux,

I have sent a while back an email to freedom at devuan dot org but haven't got any reply. Are you sure this email box is read?

Thx

#5 2017-07-11 02:43:06

zapper

golinux wrote:
gorisis wrote:

Hello,

Issa

Hi gorisis . . .

Thank you for supporting Devuan!  If you need a special receipt other than the one from transferring funds from your account, you should talk to jaromil at freedom at devuan dot org to see if that's possible.

I am not experienced enough to do coding yet, but I wish there was an option for donating annually. I would gladly do that. smile

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#6 2017-08-12 10:46:28

leloft

Hi.
Who would I communicate with about what 'donating a hosted machine' would entail.  I'd be happy to support in this way; I'd need someone to talk (walk!) me through the process and its implications, but in principle and at first glance I may be able to support devuan in this way.

#7 2017-08-12 13:48:23

golinux
Administrator

leloft wrote:

Hi.
Who would I communicate with about what 'donating a hosted machine' would entail.  I'd be happy to support in this way; I'd need someone to talk (walk!) me through the process and its implications, but in principle and at first glance I may be able to support devuan in this way.

Thanks for the offer, leloft. Please communicate with us on irc libera#devuan-dev or the dng mail list.

#8 2017-08-19 16:48:59

garyz.dev1

RE: friendsofdevuan wiki     [mostly for @golinux or @jaromil  ]
golinux wrote in #1

Contribute RTFM stuff - Documentation and/or translations in any language are needed. Contributions could go into <https://friendsofdevuan.org/doku.php>

the 'contact' page is empty  - it 404s   (edit)
How would I submit info to the wiki  -- there are tidbits scattered all over DNG and dev1galaxy
that might fit into the structure of the wiki.  In someways it is a condensed version of dev1galaxy
without the 'experimentation/errors' and such
'
looking forward -- Devuan is getting bigger - I noticed more requests for info that isn't Devuan related!!!

Last edited by garyz.dev1 (2017-08-19 17:01:19)

#9 2017-08-19 17:24:49

golinux
Administrator

garyz.dev1 wrote:

RE: friendsofdevuan wiki     [mostly for @golinux or @jaromil]

FTR, the wiki is hosted by FlibberTGibbet.  msi (with feedback from me) has recently done a major reorganization that is still very  much in process.   Jaromil is not involved.

golinux wrote in #1

Contribute RTFM stuff - Documentation and/or translations in any language are needed. Contributions could go into <https://friendsofdevuan.org/doku.php>

the 'contact' page is empty

So it is!  The wiki was recently restructured and obviously the linkage to that page was broken.  I'll try to get that fixed.  I have also updated the links to the wiki in this thread.

How would I submit info to the wiki

Have you registered yet?  Be aware  that approval is a manual process because of the volume of spam to the site.   Items coming from Dev1Galaxy most likely should go into the Community Documentation area of the wiki but the new landing page is not set up yet.

-- there are tidbits scattered all over DNG and dev1galaxy
that might fit into the structure of the wiki.  In someways it is a condensed version of dev1galaxy
without the 'experimentation/errors' and such

Very true.  And we have envisioned something like that but progress has been at a snail's pace.

looking forward -- Devuan is getting bigger - I noticed more requests for info that isn't Devuan related!!!

Hopefully we will continue to grow both in the number of users as well as packagers and developers.  I see you are taking on d1h.  Good for you!

#10 2017-09-01 00:41:39

Poppageek

Please consider setting up a https://www.patreon.com account so we can support Devuan on a monthly basis. Ubuntu Mate has this and seem to do rather well with it. I support a content producer via Patreon and have found it a great way to support those I appreciate.

Thank you.

#11 2017-09-14 06:15:16

tyder

To bridge the gap between package maintainers and users, maybe we could organize some kind of interest groups with maintainer(s) and more deeply interested users?  I think that would also be a way to more easily recruit new package managers. 
A concrete example: R has a rapidly growing plethora of packages. They may be downloaded and installed from within R, but that often implies extensive compilation.  So packages in wide use should be offered as native, like they to a wide extent are in Debian/Devuan.  So far, I don't have the time or the competence to take responsibility for any package, but I'd be happy to assist, and over time "upgrade" myself to maintainer level.

#12 2017-09-14 23:12:43

γραφω λογον

Poppageek wrote:

Please consider setting up a https://www.patreon.com account so we can support Devuan on a monthly basis. Ubuntu Mate has this and seem to do rather well with it. I support a content producer via Patreon and have found it a great way to support those I appreciate.

Thank you.

I am having difficulty with the javascript  the Patreon page and don't think I have ever used it, but I do want to second the idea of supporting Devuan on a monthly basis. I do this with Trisquel, Damn Small Linux (yes, still; even after all these years I still value what I learned from the project in the '00s and I couldn't afford donations when I was actually using  the software daily), riseup, and a musician who has set up a "CSA" for his fans just as our farmers do with our food.

Low income folks can frequently come up with $20 a month much more easily than $240 a year. Patreon isn't the only way to do this.

My English is still a work in progress; no offense was intended.

#13 2017-09-18 14:37:36

golinux
Administrator

Poppageek wrote:

Thank you.

Why should we use a third-party service that takes a cut of the donations?  The systems we have in place should allow for recurring support.

#14 2017-09-18 17:30:24

zapper

golinux wrote:
Poppageek wrote:

Thank you.

Why should we use a third-party service that takes a cut of the donations?  The systems we have in place should allow for recurring support.

I think this website might interest you in terms of a third party donations...

https://en.liberapay.com/

apparently, they might not have that issue... not positive... but look into it.

smile

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#15 2017-09-18 18:09:40

golinux
Administrator

#16 2017-09-30 02:13:22

mckaygerhard
Website

i report some coupe of bugs yet and provide for one or two the solution but i cannot see the response or feedback!

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-09-30 02:14:00)

#17 2017-12-03 16:59:51

mckaygerhard
Website

chillfan wrote:

It would be great to have a list of which boards are needed, and how they could be used.

umm if devuan are just debian without systemd, why not work in team with debian.. oh i forgotten, devuan it's actually comes from a dispute with debian.. ;-)

well in any case, why not better just liast of generic or most "equivalents" arm hardware? its better cover many models with this strategy!

#18 2017-12-03 18:12:12

golinux
Administrator

chillfan wrote:
  • Donate an ARM development board (50$-100$) (contact parazyd parazyd@dyne.org / #devuan-arm)

• Donate an ARM or ARM64 build host (50$-200$) (contact parazyd parazyd@dyne.org / #devuan-arm)

• Donate a MIPS board (50$-200$) (contact parazyd parazyd@dyne.org)

It would be great to have a list of which boards are needed, and how they could be used.

I haven't seen anything more specific than that.  Just a few weeks ago parazyd asked me to add this to the Donate page of devuan.org:

. . . ARM or MIPS boards or PowerPC/Sparc hardware

#19 2017-12-05 01:27:50

zapper

golinux wrote:

Sorry if I am replying late, but yes.

Peace Be With us All!

#20 2018-07-30 23:44:16

UnclePa

Is there a list of Debian packages that depend on systemd that need importing to Devuan or that have been imported but need maintainers?

#21 2018-07-31 00:29:32

golinux
Administrator

UnclePa wrote:

Is there a list of Debian packages that depend on systemd that need importing to Devuan or that have been imported but need maintainers?

Here you go.  Feel free to scratch your itch.  Please look at the d1h for packaging guidance, though iirc one call to Debian has changed.  Don't know if that's been fixed yet.  Thanks for your interest in wanting to do this.  Any questions, just ask.

#22 2018-08-26 14:16:43

sir-evans

Hi guys!

new to the forum ,and also to devuan. Great job!

Im fleeing out of debian , now that has systemd by default.

As a sysadmin myself, maybe i can help you guys somehow . At least with spanish translations.

Let me know if i can give a hand!

#23 2018-08-26 16:08:42

golinux
Administrator

sir-evans wrote:

Hi guys! Let me know if i can give a hand!

Welcome sir-evans.  Do join in the forum, mailing list and irc.  If you see something that interests you, get involved and contribute according to your experience and skillset.

#24 2019-02-28 20:53:37

dimonic

I would like to help with documentation - there are a number of items even on the FAQ page I could fill in.

#25 2019-02-28 21:45:30

ChuangTzu

Hi dimonic....There are a few of us also interested.  What sections/items did you want to help out with?

Board footer