The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-18 01:29:57

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Let's make this forum multilingual! (Calling for language authors)

Flerspråkighet för dev1galaxy! Hurra!

Technically it is easily done. This software is well prepared for the notion; its just a matter of installing a "language pack" that provides the localized translations for the ~1500 words and phrases, and the ~20 email templates used by the forum.

But alas, the language packs available at fluxbb resources are not many (30), and they all suffer some flaws that stops us from installing them. Many of the packs are almost finished, and would only require a couple of hours from a translator to map some (<300) missing words and phrases. A few packs (like the Swedish pack) are lacking significantly, and might need even some few days of translation effort before they can be used.

The "easy ones" are named: Arabic, Basque, Brazilian_Portuguese, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified_Chinese, Spanish, Traditional_Chinese, Turkish, and Ukrainian. The more involved ones are named: Catalan, Czech, Danish, Icelandic, Persian, and Swedish.

I'm presently doing Swedish, which is one of my languages. We need authors for all other languages; any one of those mentioned, or any language not mentioned that you wish for the forum. Please contact golinux who will synchronize this effort, and tell her which language you will do. She will then send you a translation spreadsheet for the needed translations.

Note that we do expect posts to be in English. This localization primarily applies to the forum display, as it is unlikely to induce much new language knowledge to people posting here.

#2 2017-05-21 10:12:53

Max_B

Re: Let's make this forum multilingual! (Calling for language authors)

Hi Ralph! I'm from Italy, and contributed to the Italian localization of Geany (a source code editor) some years ago, so I think I could help with the Italian pack. What should I do, in case? Just go to fluxbb resources link and follow the instructions there?

#3 2017-05-21 12:54:35

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Great. The answer is "Yes and No". With start-point in those packages, I've prepared spreadsheets containing the "problem case" for this forum, which simply are the phrases (seemingly) without translation; one row for each phrase, associating it with the internal key and the English phrase.

For Italian, it's merely 135 "problem" cases, as all email templates are translated.

I was thinking it would be easiest for an author to work in a "problem" spreadsheet, and then send it back to for mapping into the required format. (Note that this forum has a couple of phrases more than the originating fluxbb).

I'll talk to golinux to get the spreadsheet sent to you.

#4 2017-05-21 13:55:36

Max_B

ok. Geany had a text file with the menu and messages strings associated with "string IDs" (something.po if I recall), a sort of resource file, which I edited with a tool named "POEdit". So this task should be simpler than Geany's one cool

#5 2017-05-26 03:43:43

phylophyl

Hello! how many "problems" for the French language?

#6 2017-05-26 04:08:58

golinux
Administrator

phylophyl wrote:

Hello! how many "problems" for the French language?

Greetings phylophyl! It seems like the French translation is mostly completed.  There are some phrases unique to the mods on this forum.  I can email you the files with instructions of what is needed if you'd like to have a look.

#7 2017-05-26 04:34:45

phylophyl

golinux wrote:

I can email you the files with instructions of what is needed if you'd like to have a look.

Hello golinux! Sure, please do.

Board footer