The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-18 01:29:57

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Let's make this forum multilingual! (Calling for language authors)

Flerspråkighet för dev1galaxy! Hurra!

Technically it is easily done. This software is well prepared for the notion; its just a matter of installing a "language pack" that provides the localized translations for the ~1500 words and phrases, and the ~20 email templates used by the forum.

But alas, the language packs available at fluxbb resources are not many (30), and they all suffer some flaws that stops us from installing them. Many of the packs are almost finished, and would only require a couple of hours from a translator to map some (<300) missing words and phrases. A few packs (like the Swedish pack) are lacking significantly, and might need even some few days of translation effort before they can be used.

The "easy ones" are named: Arabic, Basque, Brazilian_Portuguese, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified_Chinese, Spanish, Traditional_Chinese, Turkish, and Ukrainian. The more involved ones are named: Catalan, Czech, Danish, Icelandic, Persian, and Swedish.

I'm presently doing Swedish, which is one of my languages. We need authors for all other languages; any one of those mentioned, or any language not mentioned that you wish for the forum. Please contact golinux who will synchronize this effort, and tell her which language you will do. She will then send you a translation spreadsheet for the needed translations.

Note that we do expect posts to be in English. This localization primarily applies to the forum display, as it is unlikely to induce much new language knowledge to people posting here.

#2 2017-05-21 10:12:53

Max_B

Re: Let's make this forum multilingual! (Calling for language authors)

Hi Ralph! I'm from Italy, and contributed to the Italian localization of Geany (a source code editor) some years ago, so I think I could help with the Italian pack. What should I do, in case? Just go to fluxbb resources link and follow the instructions there?

#3 2017-05-21 12:54:35

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Great. The answer is "Yes and No". With start-point in those packages, I've prepared spreadsheets containing the "problem case" for this forum, which simply are the phrases (seemingly) without translation; one row for each phrase, associating it with the internal key and the English phrase.

For Italian, it's merely 135 "problem" cases, as all email templates are translated.

I was thinking it would be easiest for an author to work in a "problem" spreadsheet, and then send it back to for mapping into the required format. (Note that this forum has a couple of phrases more than the originating fluxbb).

I'll talk to golinux to get the spreadsheet sent to you.

#4 2017-05-21 13:55:36

Max_B

ok. Geany had a text file with the menu and messages strings associated with "string IDs" (something.po if I recall), a sort of resource file, which I edited with a tool named "POEdit". So this task should be simpler than Geany's one cool

#5 2017-05-26 03:43:43

phylophyl

Hello! how many "problems" for the French language?

#6 2017-05-26 04:08:58

golinux
Administrator

phylophyl wrote:

Hello! how many "problems" for the French language?

Greetings phylophyl! It seems like the French translation is mostly completed.  There are some phrases unique to the mods on this forum.  I can email you the files with instructions of what is needed if you'd like to have a look.

#7 2017-05-26 04:34:45

phylophyl

golinux wrote:

I can email you the files with instructions of what is needed if you'd like to have a look.

Hello golinux! Sure, please do.

#8 2017-06-01 20:38:28

Max_B

I had a look at the Italian localization and started to fill the missing strings, tomorrow I should finish it (it's our Republic Celebration Day, so I won't have to go to work cool ).

#9 2017-06-03 17:10:49

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

We have now added 'Italiano' as another of the dev1galaxy display languages. A huge thank you, (and by google translate: 'merci', 'grazie' and 'dziękuję ci') to the contributors for these.

I'm still struggling with Swedish myself, and we look forward to more people stepping up for more languages.

The task is a plain translation task. You don't need to program or know how to program; you only need an average amount of language skill to map a spreadsheet with a number of English phrases and words into the corresponding expressions in your language. Could it be easier? As I mentioned above, some languages are almost complete and only need some few hundred translations, while "new" languages will require the full 1510 translations.

Step forward now, and get Your language installed even before Swedish!

#10 2017-06-18 21:32:45

golinux
Administrator

And now Spanish has been added to the list!

#11 2018-06-16 20:54:46

sacioz

Anglese only , si vous plait...))

#12 2018-06-16 21:01:56

golinux
Administrator

sacioz wrote:

The default option for translation of the forum controls is English.  Every user has the choice of which language to choose.

#13 2018-06-16 21:25:25

devuser

sacioz wrote:

Ja, wir sollten alle englisch schreiben!

#14 2018-06-16 22:05:26

Dutch_Master

OK, if it's that simple I'll have a look into the Dutch language pack then. Can't make any promises as there's a lot on my plate already. Can these files be opened by LibreOffice and more importantly, edited and saved in the correct format?

If Dutch works, I may try my hand at German too. But as a non-native speaker I'm not sure my options/solutions/translations would be best suited. For now, that's of no concern, first the Dutch language pack to solve before anything else!

#15 2018-06-16 22:27:33

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Great! Dutch, or "Netherlands", is a new language for this forum, as is German ("Deutche"), so those tasks will involve the full grunt of translating some 1500 phrases, and 16 email templates.

I used to have a script that made a CSV for the phrases to make it easier But, as that was a couple of laptops ago, it'll take a short while to recall. When I've done so, and prepared the basis, I'll email it to your registration email address.

It reminds me that I'm still sitting still on the Swedish translation sad

#16 2018-06-16 23:16:21

golinux
Administrator

Dutch_Master wrote:

OK, if it's that simple I'll have a look into the Dutch language pack then. Can't make any promises as there's a lot on my plate already. Can these files be opened by LibreOffice and more importantly, edited and saved in the correct format?

My advice is to stay away from LO for any text/config files.  Please use a text editor like mousepad or Pluma or geany etc..

If Dutch works, I may try my hand at German too. But as a non-native speaker I'm not sure my options/solutions/translations would be best suited. For now, that's of no concern, first the Dutch language pack to solve before anything else!

If you would provide Dutch that would be most appreciated!

#17 2018-06-16 23:17:31

golinux
Administrator

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

LOL!  I thought that but resisted the urge . . .   wink

#18 2018-06-17 06:08:23

Dutch_Master

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

Great! Dutch, or "Netherlands", is a new language for this forum, as is German ("Deutche"), so those tasks will involve the full grunt of translating some 1500 phrases, and 16 email templates.

Yikes! I thought you'd said it was already partially done. Never mind, just takes a while longer to get through the list. Anyway, you were nearly there:
Dutch -> Nederlands
German -> Deutsch
wink

Mind, there are multiple versions of both languages. Dutch knows several dialects (despite being a small country) as well as Flemish, which is spoken in northern Belgium. The Flemish are particularly particular that they don't speak Dutch, but Flemish instead! For German, it's even worse! There's 3 countries speaking German, and each have local dialects as well as the official version: "Hoch-Deutsch". Which is the version you'll get from me, when I getroundtoit.

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

I used to have a script that made a CSV for the phrases to make it easier But, as that was a couple of laptops ago, it'll take a short while to recall. When I've done so, and prepared the basis, I'll email it to your registration email address.

OK, thx!

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

Ah, can't help you with that I'm afraid tongue

#19 2018-06-17 06:12:38

Dutch_Master

golinux wrote:

My advice is to stay away from LO for any text/config files.  Please use a text editor like mousepad or Pluma or geany etc..

OK then, Pluma it'll be.

golinux wrote:

If you would provide Dutch that would be most appreciated!

Given it's gonna be a full translation, I might be a while. Remind me 3 months in (that is, after I received the templates, etc) smile

#20 2018-06-18 10:42:10

clnr

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

Do you need any help with the Swedish translation? I could lend a hand if you need one.

#21 2018-06-19 22:57:08

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Det låter jättebra. Tack. Låt mig samla ihop underlaget, så skickar jag det till din regestreringsadress (om en dag eller två).

#22 2018-06-20 08:25:40

clnr

Jättebra! Kollar på det efter midsommar då!

#23 2020-03-16 16:38:41

haroldG75

Would like to contribute to the spanish version.

#24 2020-05-29 10:19:18

berni51
Website

If help for GERMAN is required - her I am!

Regards
Berni

The good ol' days will not return, and the rocks might smelt and the sea may burn.

#25 2020-05-29 10:36:28

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Very good. Thanks. Give me a few days to prepare and email the translation basis to you.

Board footer