The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-05 02:37:52

MiyoLinux

[MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

Hi folks!

Just wanted to let people know that with the recent release of Devuan Beta 2, MiyoLinux has followed suit. While continuing to stay true to the vision of being a minimal and base system which allows you (the user) to "make it your own", there are a few subtle additions and "convenience improvements" that I hope will contribute to a better user experience.

Thanks to anyone who may give MiyoLinux a try.

MiyoLinux on Sourceforge

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#2 2016-12-05 03:22:20

mlsmith

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

This is an excellent Devuan-based distro and it's my daily driver. Keep up the great work!

#3 2016-12-05 16:53:36

cpoakes

Thanks for the update. On the MIYO site over the weekend and decided to wait for just this update. I look forward to trying this out.

#4 2016-12-05 19:47:30

xunilog

cpoakes wrote:

On the MIYO site

Site? Is there someplace other than "sourceforge.net/projects/miyolinux/" ?

#5 2016-12-06 00:54:56

cpoakes

Nope. That's it.

#6 2016-12-06 01:21:26

MiyoLinux

We try to take advantage of what Sourceforge has to offer. smile

MiyoLinux has an "Announcements" page (which is what cpoakes may have been referring to) and a basic Wiki page on Sourceforge. wink

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#7 2016-12-09 15:12:44

Vall

Howdy everyone,

Just downloaded and installed MIYO-120316 in a VirtualBox VM, prior to wiping a netbook here to run it on.

Here's a few notes/observations/suggestions:

1) Please consider adopting a "YYYYMMDD" format for versions, instead of the apparent "MMDDYY" as above. Not only is the former an international standard for dates (therefore removing unneeded anglicisms) but when there are multiple versions spanning multiple months and years, it will sort much better on anyone's ls/download screen. :-)

2) Using the "expert" install with disabled "Use UUID (...)" and enabled "use existing swap (...)" and "write zeroes (...)" and "run cfdisk", it locked up here right after partitioning on the "Syncing disks" screen. This is 100% reproducible, and the only way out is closing the "cfdisk" window by clicking on its "X" top-right frame button. Installation seemed to resume  OK from there, but I reset the machine and started it over just in case.

3) The default filesystem to format the system partition was shown as ext2 (of course I chose ext4). Was that intended?

4) I have a swap partition but it doesn't show in the "Select a partition for swap" dialogue (in fact, this window doesn't show anything). I closed it (again, clicking on the X) and ran mkswap manually on a separate terminal window. It showed me a "you did not choose a swap partition" window, to whch I clicked "OK", and the installation seemed to proceed OK, (fortunately) instead of looping back to the "choose a partition for swap" dialogue.
EDIT: after the installation, I found out MIYO created and was using a "/swapfile" instead of the partition I created. I fixed it manually.

5) After selecting all the timezone/locale/keyboard options, the system seemed to lock up in a black window (only showing "refractainstaller-yad" on top), with no blinking dots, progress bar, nothing. I saw that it was not a real lock-up because (contrary to #2 above) the HD access LED was blinking... but at least a "Doing something, please wait...." message would probably help the newbies.

6) After a long time (probably because of my choosing the "write zeroes (...)" above), I got a couple more dialogues about setting passwords etc, then it said it was finished. Removed the install media as advised and reset the machine, MIYOlinux seemed to come up all right.

I'm just starting my tests, but I like what I see so far: just 135MB RAM used, lightweight indeed! (at least for those perverted times we're living)

@MiyoLinux, thanks for taking the time to make MIYO available, and I hope you find this report useful.

Cheers,
--
   Vall.

Last edited by Vall (2016-12-09 15:44:03)

#8 2016-12-09 16:27:15

fsmithred
Administrator

Vall wrote:

2) Using the "expert" install with disabled "Use UUID (...)" and enabled "use existing swap (...)" and "write zeroes (...)" and "run cfdisk", it locked up here right after partitioning on the "Syncing disks" screen. This is 100% reproducible, and the only way out is closing the "cfdisk" window by clicking on its "X" top-right frame button. Installation seemed to resume  OK from there, but I reset the machine and started it over just in case.

I'm the author of the installer script. (I don't think it was modified, but I could be wrong.)

It didn't lock up. It was waiting for you to close the cfdisk window. That's just the way the script is written. I should add a message somewhere that tells you to do that. (It's on the todo list now.)

3) The default filesystem to format the system partition was shown as ext2 (of course I chose ext4). Was that intended?

No. Normally, no filesystem is highlighted when the window comes up. At least that's how it is for me when I run it.

4) I have a swap partition but it doesn't show in the "Select a partition for swap" dialogue (in fact, this window doesn't show anything). I closed it (again, clicking on the X) and ran mkswap manually on a separate terminal window. It showed me a "you did not choose a swap partition" window, to whch I clicked "OK", and the installation seemed to proceed OK, (fortunately) instead of looping back to the "choose a partition for swap" dialogue.
EDIT: after the installation, I found out MIYO created and was using a "/swapfile" instead of the partition I created. I fixed it manually.

If you had a partition set aside for swap, but it still needed mkswap run on it, then it won't show up. The command the script uses to find existing swap partitions is

/sbin/blkid |grep swap | awk '{print "\n" $0 }'

5) After selecting all the timezone/locale/keyboard options, the system seemed to lock up in a black window (only showing "refractainstaller-yad" on top), with no blinking dots, progress bar, nothing. I saw that it was not a real lock-up because (contrary to #2 above) the HD access LED was blinking... but at least a "Doing something, please wait...." message would probably help the newbies.

The next thing that runs after the pre-install scripts (timezone, etc.) is the cleanup function. Maybe it took some time to unmount something? Just a guess. If you feel like repeating the experiment, run 'refractainstaller-yad -d' and pastebin the error log (/var/log/refractainstaller_error.log) or email it to me if you prefer.

Thanks,
fsmithred

#9 2016-12-09 16:48:44

MiyoLinux

Thanks fsmithred.

No, the script wasn't modified.

Thanks for your report Vall. smile

#10 2016-12-09 17:34:35

Vall

Howdy FSmithRed,

Fancy meeting ya here ;-)

fsmithred wrote:

It didn't lock up. It was waiting for you to close the cfdisk window. That's just the way the script is written. I should add a message somewhere that tells you to do that. (It's on the todo list now.)

My suggestion would be for the script to close the window automatically if cfdisk terminates with a 0 exit code, but a message would be better than nothing.

No. Normally, no filesystem is highlighted when the window comes up. At least that's how it is for me when I run it.

OK, so I'm possibly mistaken, but I remember the ext2 being highlighted. OTOH, perhaps it was just the first option so I "automatically" saw it as the default.

If you had a partition set aside for swap, but it still needed mkswap run on it, then it won't show up. The command the script uses to find existing swap partitions is

/sbin/blkid |grep swap | awk '{print "\n" $0 }'

Again I could be mistaken, but I remember running mkswap on it in a separate window.

The next thing that runs after the pre-install scripts (timezone, etc.) is the cleanup function. Maybe it took some time to unmount something? Just a guess. If you feel like repeating the experiment, run 'refractainstaller-yad -d' and pastebin the error log (/var/log/refractainstaller_error.log) or email it to me if you prefer.

I have a refractainstaller.log, but generated via the normal MIYO install (so, no "-d" I presume). If I ever install it using its installation procedure again, I will be sure to do it manually and supply that switch (usually I just install a new OS via its install once, then I generate a tarfile of the whole she-bang and install using my own manual method from them on).

Cheers,
--
   Vall.

#11 2016-12-10 11:57:24

MiyoLinux

Just wanted to quickly say that I did a test install this morning, and the Ext 2 file system is highlighted by default on MiyoLinux.

#12 2016-12-10 19:49:56

fsmithred
Administrator

MiyoLinux wrote:

Just wanted to quickly say that I did a test install this morning, and the Ext 2 file system is highlighted by default on MiyoLinux.

I see it, too. It's a gtk-3 issue. Yad-0.37 (from ascii) uses gtk-3. I guess it automatically highlights the first choice. I can reverse the order of fs types in the script.

#13 2016-12-11 16:52:14

FOSSuser

Unfortunately for us, MiyoLinux is to be mothballed, says so in another thread, so unless somebody competent enough to take it over does so, it will vanish, a great shame, but I read there are very good (personal) reasons why.

#14 2016-12-17 17:42:21

MiyoLinux

Despite my health issues, and aided and abetted by insomnia...I was able to build and upload a new 64bit .iso to Sourceforge today. Knowing that the 64bit's Updater Icon wasn't right...plus discovering that the default setting for Nitrogen was on the wrong setting...was something that I could no longer stand for.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyolinux/

#15 2016-12-17 19:50:18

FOSSuser

Thanks - grabbed a copy. smile

#16 2016-12-18 14:42:37

Vall

Thanks for the update, @MiyoLinux, much appreciated. I'm continuing to use MIYO here and I am very much happy with it, sorry to hear abot your health issues... :-/

Cheers,
--
   Vall.

#17 2016-12-19 22:21:09

MiyoLinux

Vall wrote:

Thanks for the update, @MiyoLinux, much appreciated. I'm continuing to use MIYO here and I am very much happy with it, sorry to hear abot your health issues... :-/

Cheers,
--
   Vall.

Thank you Vall; I deeply appreciate that.

#18 2017-04-10 21:27:55

greenjeans
Website

Downloaded a copy yesterday and tried it last night (livecd), and just wanted to say that I really really like it, excellent work Miyolinux! Nice and minimal, great builder to get a good openbox system up and running, this is definitely going on a partition somewhere and i'm gonna miyo the heck out of it. smile

Swapped some icons i like into the livecd environment while it was running, they go pretty good with the black/gray theme, probably gonna use them and a few other MIYO inspirations and roll a re-spin a la greenjeans. ;-)

Again, great work and thank you for doing it!

ke6yo0.png

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#19 2017-04-11 03:13:46

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:

Downloaded a copy yesterday and tried it last night (livecd), and just wanted to say that I really really like it, excellent work Miyolinux! Nice and minimal, great builder to get a good openbox system up and running, this is definitely going on a partition somewhere and i'm gonna miyo the heck out of it. smile

Swapped some icons i like into the livecd environment while it was running, they go pretty good with the black/gray theme, probably gonna use them and a few other MIYO inspirations and roll a re-spin a la greenjeans. ;-)

Again, great work and thank you for doing it!

That's great! I haven't checked in here in quite some time, and on the day I finally did, I see your post. yikes smile

I'm pleased that you like it, and I would love to see you respin it and improve it! Let us know if (and when) you do so. wink

Thank you for the kind words.

#20 2017-04-11 22:44:59

greenjeans
Website

Hey, question when you have time: where did you get obmenu-generator from? did you have to compile yourself?  The look of the menu itself is really nice, much better than the plain-jane default menu, how do you get it to look like that?

Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

#21 2017-04-12 00:03:34

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:

Hey, question when you have time: where did you get obmenu-generator from? did you have to compile yourself?  The look of the menu itself is really nice, much better than the plain-jane default menu, how do you get it to look like that?

No sir...no compiling necessary, you can grab the .deb file from here...be warned, it does pull in some dependencies.

https://software.opensuse.org/download. … -generator

I did have to do a good bit of customization after installing it though...the files will be in the obmenu-generator folder located in ~/.config/obmenu-generator (after installation). You can see the schema.pl file and how it's laid out in Miyo there. There's another file (can't remember the name of it right now, but it's in the same folder as the schema file in Miyo). In that "other" file, there's a couple of changes you will need to make in order for the menu to use the correct terminal and text editor that you include in your distro.

By the way, Mr. Greenjeans was my favorite on Capt. Kangaroo when I was a kid! Thanks for the memories!

Hope that helps!

Edited to add: the other file is called config.pl
On a new install of the .deb file, it may not show up at first. If it doesn't, open your terminal and run...

obmenu-generator -p -i

That should cause the config.pl to appear.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-04-12 15:49:53)

#22 2017-04-13 13:16:17

fsmithred
Administrator

Nice to see you around, miyo!

I tried building miyolinux with devuan's live-sdk, but I failed to get all the configs right. Haven't had time, but I'd like to get back to that and arrange all the blend files so that they can be dropped into one directory in live-sdk, and then anyone will be able to make their own "make it your own", always with the latest updates. (packages are pulled from the repo for the build.)

live-sdk can be automated, and you don't need to keep two installations to build for i386 and amd64. In fact, you don't even need one installation of the blend you're building unless you're creating a new blend and need to figure out what goes where.

#23 2017-04-13 17:09:31

MiyoLinux

fsmithred wrote:

Nice to see you around, miyo!

I tried building miyolinux with devuan's live-sdk, but I failed to get all the configs right. Haven't had time, but I'd like to get back to that and arrange all the blend files so that they can be dropped into one directory in live-sdk, and then anyone will be able to make their own "make it your own", always with the latest updates. (packages are pulled from the repo for the build.)

live-sdk can be automated, and you don't need to keep two installations to build for i386 and amd64. In fact, you don't even need one installation of the blend you're building unless you're creating a new blend and need to figure out what goes where.

Yes sir...I'm still kicking! smile

In my simple understanding, what you've described sounds amazing, yet I'm having a brain-meltdown trying to envision it! LOLOLOL!

I look forward to seeing what you (and greenjeans) come up with. Take care my friend!

#24 2017-04-13 17:54:57

golinux
Administrator

We're all waiting for fsmithred's HOWTO.  wink

#25 2017-04-13 20:31:47

greenjeans
Website

Having a blast with this thing Miyolinux!  Going seriously mini here, probably not in keeping with your vision for it, but what's turning out here is pretty cool. I wish though I had started with the 32 bit version, this whole thing is so light and quick it would be perfect for older hardware. When i'm done with this the iso should be close to making it below 300 mb in size.

I fixed os-probes, again. lol.

Fixed an issue I had with pcmanfm not letting me mount other partitions with a click, it wouldn't even pop up the gksu dialog box, just told me i wasn't authorized. It turned out to be a deal with udisks2, I edited the udsisks2 policy in /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/ and now it works like I want it to, you can mount the partitions in pcmanfm with just a click, to edit system files or look into the root folder in those partitions it gksu's you and you still need to enter root password for that.

Updated it fully, weird it pushed me to do a bunch of updates, I did them, then it pushed me to do another big batch, did those too (and got clearlooks-purpy and mate icons forced on me for my trouble, lol), then a bunch of stuff popped up on autoremove, so I dumped them, but later put one or two back, it was very strange. Down to like 854 total packages installed.

Installed Ralink firmware, needed it for my laptop and a lot of HP machines need it too.

Installed gpicview, I think even a mini needs a picture viewer, gpicview is pretty small, nice old-school gtk2. wink

Added Oxy2-zen icons, basically old gnome icons done in black, mostly only applies to folders.

Added a couple of custom entries to the right-click context menu in pcmanfm, Open Folder As Root , and Edit File As Root, these are just handy as a shirt-pocket if you do any dev work or just hardcore customizing.

I also have a script that will use imagemagick to re-size images in a folder like the one that's available for caja in Mate, but it's written for Spacefm, I think it should work in pcmanfm too with some changes, but that's for a later fuller version.

I removed Firefox, user might want something different, easy enough to add even on the livecd. I guess Firefox was the only thing that needed gstreamer 1.0 as it offered all those packages up for autoremove after I dumped Firefox, so I dumped them too, still has gstreamer 0.10 onboard, probably need to re-install 1.0 stuff with a lot of modern programs but no biggie. Everything still works great right now.

I got rid of the update notifier, just didn't like it, sorry man. And while i'm at it i'm also sorry for getting rid of a ton of icons, images, and locale stuff. Really very sorry. srsly.

Still got a bunch to do, going to update all the Refracta-tools with newest versions. And some more configuring, going to change the grub background with one of your other pieces of artwork (the dark gray) to better match the whole theme, I guess the lightdm background uses that same image?

Board footer