The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-09 00:23:36

stanz

ParrotSec OS, 'considered', switch to Devuan

This is how I found Devuan,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrot_Security_OS
I was using ParrotSec OS, not really liking Mate to much.
After finding/reading the switching to Devuan - I came, I saw, I installed! tongue

Any contact or progress with the switch?

===================================
(Since this is kinda 'old news' now, these posts are about my attempts to get some parrot-type pkgs,
on my Devuan based installs, or getting parrot - Devuanized. hmm
My other ..Post Here.., has more recent failure/success stories,
installing & running: "Tor & Tor Browser, Anonsurf, & i2p ...on Devuan ascii w/Mate & MiyoXTRA ascii w/Openbox... so far tongue

Last edited by stanz (2018-05-08 22:59:06)

miyoisomix.i2p

#2 2018-03-09 06:22:21

stanz

Re: ParrotSec OS, 'considered', switch to Devuan

Sooo, I clicked over to their new forum to ask, and found this post,
with this response...

palinuro - Project Leader:
.."no updates right now as parrot can’t be safely ported on devuan without breaking things all around"..

ahhhh... sad  ..if I only knew more dev stuff!!!

miyoisomix.i2p

#3 2018-03-09 10:45:48

fsmithred
Administrator

Parrot is based on buster. The devuan equivalent is beowulf, but there are no beowulf repos set up yet and no work done on buster/beowulf versions of software. That would account for "breaking things all around."

Here's something you could try if you have a few spare GB of hard disk space...

1. Get Parrot Now, install it. (is is even supposed to be installed?)
2. Don't update it, and wait until we have beowulf repos up and running.
3. Upgrade it to devuan.

Another option would be to get the package list and try to recreate it in devuan.
From within a running parrot session, run dpkg --get-selections > parrot_package_list
It might even be possible to recreate it in ascii (or get something that's close to the original.)

#4 2018-03-10 03:04:11

stanz

Howdy fsmithred...thx for your advice & encouragement!
I'm no dev, do I dare to type more and start researching...?...ahh ~ why not tongue

It is an install OS, Pro Complete Version & Lite Desktop Version. I'll use the 'Lite' version.

I do have some spare GB's and might even install Virtualbox, to continue this 'hobby project'. smile
Not knowing what to look for or know anything...I'm not Dev level brain lol.

I thought to look at Their Repos, and was surprised to see, in the list...

Index of /parrot/dists

Parent Directory
    README.html
   ascii/
    buster/
    experimental/
    jessie/

I compared versions of a few packages, noticed none are higher on this Miyo XTRA ascii laptop...!?
Thats not checking important packages tho.
..First Ooopps!
I tried the netinstall "mini" image which does not work, atm. I'm working with the "Home Edition, 64bit".
figuring I could follow one of MiyoLinux instructs to use Openbox and somehow switch their apt-get to Devuan repo.
(Scroll way down for results!)

Ok, this has gotton long and I got some things todo... wink
Type Laterzzzz....

Last edited by stanz (2018-04-18 17:46:40)

miyoisomix.i2p

#5 2018-03-12 04:54:45

stanz

I'm reading everything about doing this project, that I can find, by Devuan doc's, wiki, etc...whew!

I can,

fsmithred wrote:

1. Get Parrot Now, install it. (is is even supposed to be installed?)
2. Don't update it, and wait until we have beowulf repos up and running.
3. Upgrade it to devuan.

Will need some time with that...but, to continue on...

Another option would be to get the package list and try to recreate it in devuan.

Would following dev1fanboys chroot install work?

From within a running parrot session, run dpkg --get-selections > parrot_package_list
It might even be possible to recreate it in ascii (or get something that's close to the original.)

I got the list from the virtualbox install - (2,023! gonna take some time with that, ay tongue ...and put it on git.
No version #'s tho..
I'll go thru parrots repo..
and try to crack open their iso

miyoisomix.i2p

#6 2018-03-12 11:57:15

fsmithred
Administrator

You could start with a minimal install and add packages from the parrot package list, configure everything the way you want. It won't be parrotsec, it would be stanzsec. Or, you could do a minimal install and then use 'dpkg --set-selections...' on the parrot package list to reproduce the system. You'd need to remove any unavailable or unwanted packages from the list first.

It might be possible to convert a parrot install to devuan once beowulf is usable. I just checked the package list, and almost everything seems to be in the devuan repositories. Here's a list of packages in parrot that are not in the devuan repos. Some of them you don't want (systemd) and some of them are replaced by other packages (firefox-esr instead of firefox, dbus-x11 instead of dbus-user-session, gnupg in ascii vs. gpg in buster/beowulf, live-config-sysvinit instead of live-config-systemd).

clang-4.0
couchdb
dbus-user-session
firefox
gpg
gpg-agent
iio-sensor-proxy
libegl1
libgl1
libgles2
libglvnd0
libglx0
libopengl0
libpam-systemd
libtesseract4
live-config-systemd
mate-power-manager
pyrit
python-pymssql
spike
systemd
systemd-sysv
torbrowser-launcher
wifite

#7 2018-03-14 21:09:28

stanz

fsmithred wrote:

You could start with a minimal install and add packages from the parrot package list...

That idea has been ringing-in-my-ears... smile
1 - Figure out howto get a beowulf-minimal-install, (modify jessie/ascii source.list?) or...
2 - Use "already minimal-made Miyo or Vuu-do", (point repo to beowulf? ) and add from there. Seems tuff to figure out parrots source list pinning & all that, to grab from their repo..!? I should try first - before sheding a tear tongue

I need to start small, thinking parrot tweaked most of whats in their repos, to work on their system.
My first step is get a minimal-install working, with openbox...I'm not a pro in cli smile
I'll adjust this post title - once something gets done.
As always fsmithred,
Thx ~

miyoisomix.i2p

#8 2018-03-14 21:51:48

golinux
Administrator

stanz wrote:
fsmithred wrote:

You could start with a minimal install and add packages from the parrot package list...

That idea has been ringing-in-my-ears... smile
1 - Figure out howto get a beowulf-minimal-install, (modify jessie/ascii source.list?) or...

beowulf has appeared quietly in pkgmaster.  fsmithred has upgraded rather smoothly.  iirc there were no problems with openbox but there may be with other DEs.  Be prepared for breakage.  You would have to upgrade from ascii as there obviously are no beowulf isos yet.

#9 2018-03-15 00:33:53

fsmithred
Administrator

One important point on my smooth upgrade - I did not disable ascii repos, I just added the beowulf repo (singular) and ran an update, upgrade and dist-upgrade. At one point I had to use aptitude to give me some options. 46 out of almost 900 packages did not get upgraded.

That was on a small install with openbox, lxpanel and spacefm. No 'kits. I use sudo for shutdown and pmount for removable drives (with spacefm). Point is, if you don't have a bloated desktop environment, you should be pretty safe. Still, you should be prepared to hose the system and have to start over a few times. Each iteration will be better.

#10 2018-03-15 03:20:04

stanz

Thank you both, golinux & fsmithred.. I'm absorbing all your advice! cool
I usually have my hdd split, for my work & other partition to brake things tongue
No worries there...I've learnt well with brakin` & re-installing.

Jus` cause it's quicker - I'm gonna reinstall a fresh Vuu-do, which is smaller too.
Then upgrade it from Jesse to ascii. dev1fanboy has instructs on git wiki.

Question: the upgrade path, from jessie to ascii to ceres to beowulf ...?
Oh - fsmithred, you typed going from ascii to just adding the beowulf repos.
With minimal voo-do, I believe I'll get to beowulf with afew bruises... Ha! lol

type ya then!............:)

miyoisomix.i2p

#11 2018-03-15 23:10:26

stanz

Not to tuff an upgrade, but, just to clarify...

fsmithred wrote:

I did not disable ascii repos, I just added the beowulf repo (singular)

Thats the first "beowulf/" on the list. No "proposed/security or updates added?
Just like this: hmm/pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged/dists/beowulf/

Upgrade in progress....:)

Just to type it.. I'm starting with,
Fresh Vuu-do install, openbox, tint2, pcmanfm, (spacefm? might look at that) no pmount, and no additional
installing.
As greenjeans posted here, I lost right-click menu, fixed now--
but from what he stated, I think to "Lock Version" on those packages.? Or go thru it again gracefully ~ smile
I noticed also, that "Power Manager", lost options. It's just "Ask" or "Do Nothing" for options...no Hibernate/Suspend?
Since I'm just passing thru ascii, I'm not concerned till beowulf - then I'll dig-in.

I'm also seeing another repo entry, guess I'll leave `em?
packages.devuan.org/devuan
packages.devuan.org/merged
pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged
To many unknown choices for me, right now.. tongue

Last edited by stanz (2018-03-16 00:38:19)

miyoisomix.i2p

#12 2018-03-16 14:05:52

fsmithred
Administrator

Here's what I used for sources.list. No pinning, no defualt release defined. This should be enough.

deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged beowulf main contrib non-free

deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ascii main contrib non-free
deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ascii-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://pkgmaster.devuan.org/merged ascii-security main contrib non-free

Here are the only installed packages with 'power' in the name or description:

ii  pm-utils                          1.4.1-17                          all          utilities and scripts for power management
ii  powermgmt-base                    1.31+nmu1                         all          Common utils and configs for power management

"no kit" = no consolekit, policykit, libpolkit. I'm not relying on desktop menu entries for shutdown/reboot. I don't know if you lost any of those in the upgrade. Mine started as a debootstrap install, and I added enough to be able to function in a graphical environment. Similar to miyo or vuu-do, but not exactly the same. Compare your before and after package lists to see what you lost. Maybe something can be put back from ascii.

An easy way to keep a log of your changes is to tee the output to a file. Something like:

apt-get upgrade | tee upgrade-log

That way, if you run into some kind of dependency labyrinth, you can share the log to get some possibly useful help.

Things may change a lot over the next few weeks as some key packages in beowulf are rebuilt.

#13 2018-03-19 05:52:37

stanz

Thx fsmithred, I lost internet for awhile, but continue on ~~
The sources list are good...& got both power pkgs.
I've got 'kits', and don't know enough to change things right now (one day ay!).
I did loose menu access to stuff needing root password...synaptic, bla bla....I can
terminal for that.
Reboot & shutdown also...but, no biggie either.

I guess its a good time to install some parrot pkgs & see when I brake it tongue

I foresee learning to deal with pkgs more in depth, so I'll freshen up on KatolaZ instructs.
Maybe they be of some use in Devuan's repos..someday?! yikes

An easy way to keep a log of your changes is to tee the output to a file. Something like:
apt-get upgrade | tee upgrade-log
That way, if you run into some kind of dependency labyrinth, you can share the log to get some possibly useful help.

Thats helpful, since I'm trying to keep track of pkgs & cross-reference, for this 'hobby'...:)

This post is gonna need some organizing huh!

miyoisomix.i2p

#14 2018-04-17 02:47:55

stanz

s`cuse me while I dust off this thread... wink
I got a mail note saying siva replyed to this thread? Wanted to know if any progress... tongue hee hee
But no siva post? Have I been spamed??

Anywho..the progress is, learning ways to mess up & brake fresh installs! I've been doing that for weeks!!

Typing now, from another fresh parrot install, while its still working...chuckle ha ha..
My first move is replacing parrot's 'apt' folder, with devuan's ASCII 'apt' folder..so far, it works. yikes
Using Synaptic, I 'reload' repos & look thru 117 pkgs to upgrade, and can mark all upgrades - without any broken pkgs.
Only 1 gets down-graded...will note that, next try.
With a new linux image upgrade - apt complained about removing the running kernal, and I was off to another broke system.
My thought was to upgrade the kernal first ( which pulled in linux- headers, -kbuild, -compiler-gcc-6, gcc-6 'base & libgcc-6-dev') to satisfy apt's removal warning, & have a backup or other option at boot...
Like I say, I don't really know what I'm doing here - jus` trying.

I went ahead with upgrading the remaining pkgs, and it was all downhill from there. sad
First lost 'networkmanager' (with net connection 1/2 way thru)
lost 'caja' fm
synaptic froze at 'pm-utils'.
...maybe looking thru that pkg list might`a helped? Is that what "Download package files only" checkbox is for?? lol

So i'm installing wicd & spacefm first, recommends pm-utils also.
Back with more... smile

miyoisomix.i2p

#15 2018-04-17 04:41:55

stanz

Well, that was a quick brake smile
Since the views on this topic is large, I'll continue typing my foobars.

Need to figure out howto:
get & setup new linux-image, without removing the running image, and have it as boot choice. (as is usual, in standard boot options)
switch from network manager (gnome?) to wicd, in running os.
same for caja switch - to - spacefm. (really liking it, tho - lots to learn also!)
synaptic also freezes, & gets upgraded - best done in terminal?

Other option..:
Alt+F2 - upgrade from there, maybe at login..? (don't know how to get there sooner?)
alright...more to follow. tongue

miyoisomix.i2p

#16 2018-04-17 09:25:33

fsmithred
Administrator

Anywho..the progress is, learning ways to mess up & brake fresh installs! I've been doing that for weeks!!

Excellent! Once you figure out all the things not to do, the path will be clear.

If the kernel is a deb package and it's a newer version, it should automatically be set to the default in the boot menu when it's installed. Install newer kernel, reboot, remove older kernel (maybe later, just in case new kernel has bugs). I usually upgrade the kernel last, after the first reboot into the upgraded system.

Wired or wireless? Wired is easy - remove network manager. If that breaks your connection, run dhclient eth0 and install wicd-gtk (and/or wicd-curses if you want to work in console). Wireless wtihout encryption works the same way - just use wlan0 instead of eth0.

You can install spacefm any time. It won't make other file managers go away.

Upgrade in terminal or console is probably better than doing it in synaptic. (I never tried the latter.)

#17 2018-04-18 03:59:33

stanz

fsmithred ... smile  as always, Thx

2nd install 2day..started slower with upgrading. Working this install on the laptop - wired/wireless, just dealing wired right now.
Spacefm installs easy. wicd-cli, curses, & daemon -- easy as well.
Had to work backwards, getting wicd-gtk.
Depends:python-glade2 (2.24.0-5.1) was not installed, and Depends: python-gtk2 (=2.24.0-5.1) - but, 2.24.0-5.1+b1 is to be installed
Still using synaptic, with "python-gtk2" highlited or marked broken, I looked in "Edit" on toolbar-- & clicked "Fix Broken Packages" and
I got the green install "go for it"! tongue
Continuing backwards to install Depends:python-glade2 (2.24.0-5.1) - and on to wicd-gtk, which installed with no tears.
Removed gnome network manager & any friends I could find.
Upgraded easy packages, heading to the almighty image upgrade.

Rebooted ok, noticing the familar wicd icon and connected ip.

I guess the kernel is a deb package. If I remember right command...

$uname -a
Linux parrot 4.14.0-parrot13-amd64 #1 SMP Parrot 4.14.13-1parrot13 (2018-01-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux

you typed..
and it's a newer version, it should automatically be set to the default in the boot menu when it's installed

..is what I expected - but the removal of the running 'parrot' kernel, threw me off.

I think to search seperatly, for an equal or higher kernel - to install without touching/upgrading parrots image at present.
parrot image depends on.. parrot image..?!

The other upgradable pkg's - that want to remove allot of other stuff -- will stay for now.
Easy upgrades will happen.
Ok, enough for now~~~  wink

miyoisomix.i2p

#18 2018-04-18 13:57:24

fsmithred
Administrator

I thought I'd give this a try, so I installed parrot in a virtualbox vm. I can't get the installed system to boot. It hangs somewhere around starting samba. Can't boot to rescue mode, either.

#19 2018-04-18 17:31:22

stanz

You did! yikes

I'm using the 64bit Home iso, used the 'torrent' download.
That netinstall iso didn't work either...and link is dead now..need to edit post up there.
brb~

miyoisomix.i2p

#20 2018-04-18 19:43:08

fsmithred
Administrator

That netinstall iso didn't work either...

Refractainstaller to the rescue! I installed 9.3.3 -base package without having to add any of the deps. Ran great until I ran out of hard disk space. 6GB is not big enough. du tells me that /usr in the live system is 8.7G. (Not sure how that works, I only allotted 1G ram to this VM.)

I'll have to try again later with a 12G space. Here's a link to the installer deb, so you don't have to mess with changing repos before the install -
https://sourceforge.net/projects/refrac … .3_all.deb

#21 2018-04-18 22:46:47

fsmithred
Administrator

I was going to make it 12G, but at the last second I decided to make it 14. Good thing I did, because the install takes up 12.

Here are the rough notes:
- boot parrotsec iso
- get the refractainstaller-base deb and install it
Don't run it yet! I did, and then found out that grub is not installed in the live system. I had to boot the system from grub command line after connecting a virtual drive that had a working bootloader.

This should be easier:
There are grub debs in /lib/live/mount/medium/pool/main/g/grub2/
You need grub2-common, and you'll also need either the grub-pc* or grub-efi-amd64* packages.
You could just install them in the live session, but when it asks about where to put the bootloader, skip that part. Don't put it anywhere yet.

Edit: I'm thinking too hard. If you have a network connection in the live session just install grub-pc. (And still don't let it install the bootloader.)

Then run refractainstaller. You'll get asked where to put the bootloader, and it will get installed.

Reboot into the newly installed system.

Then apt update and install sysvinit-core (I also installed pm-utils because it was recommended. I have recommends turned off.)

Then reboot. (I had to reboot twice because of an error. Didn't write it down, sorry.)

OK, that's as far as I've gotten.

Next step is to change to beowulf repo and upgrade again.

#22 2018-04-18 23:18:04

MiyoLinux

If I can throw in my two cents...

SpaceFM is stinkin' awesome! wink

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#23 2018-04-18 23:21:58

stanz

Geez..I really didn't expect this post to go this far! yikes and I gotta say ~ you trying this..puts some heat under my boots. wink
I only used the installer in Miyo & greenjeans os..I'll have some questions for ya later on... lol
I had the plan to snapshot my hobby-in-progress, thinking it save me some time repeating this repetitively long venture.
The first thing I do after tweaking power & screensaver, is copy over & replace parrots whole 'apt' folder.
If I need to more then that, to get our repos - It's beyond me right now.
Present issue is "parrot-updater", preventing me from using "dist-upgrade", -yep- in terminal.

With our repos now enabled & updated:
I installed refractasnapshot-base 10.1.1 and with it, allot got removed. But, I'll be re-installing soon--no worries. smile
Allot of the mate desktop stuff gets removed. But, I wanted to see the end result of all that - and I figured I've been installing
openbox enough to have another working desktop--if mate failed at login or some point.
That didn't work out to good -- no parrot programs showed up in obox menu...
So I used lxde -- it pulled in menu & others...and its good enough for now & the next install!

With only 33 pkgs -not- upgraded (out of 117, with ASCII repos) I'm pausing upgrade for now...whew!

Now for the kernel image! smile
There were too many dependencies for me to get thru with the linux-image-4.15.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
Next option I saw, was the...

$uname -a
Linux parrot 4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.14.13-1~bpo9+1 (2018-01-14) x86_64 GNU/Linux

which rebooted & worked, and where I'm typing from now!!

Installed the following packages:
linux-headers-4.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (4.14.7-1~bpo9+1)
linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86 (4.9.82-1+deb9u3)
cpp-6 (6.3.0-18+deb9u1)
gcc-6 (6.3.0-18+deb9u1)
libasan3 (6.3.0-18+deb9u1)
libgcc-6-dev (6.3.0-18+deb9u1)
linux-headers-4.14.0-0.bpo.2-common (4.14.7-1~bpo9+1)
linux-image-4.14.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 (4.14.13-1~bpo9+1)
linux-kbuild-4.15 (4.15.11-1~bpo9+1)

Downgraded: gcc-6-base 6.3.0-18+deb9u1

I did not upgrade linux-image-amd64 4.14+92+parrot1 to our 4.15+91~bpo9+1, just yet! yikes

I do not know if thats all good, or if there's more kernel pkgs to have (or if I went to far?)

In my "head-rush" of -things still working- progress, I duck`ed how to replace/remove systemd with sysvinit (good or bad?).
That's not complete tho, I do have grub menu entries with "(systemd)" in list. So that needs completition when I figure out how!

Geezz, whatta post...I hope this is usefull enough to justify the forum space! yikes
So on to testing if stuff works ~ and either start all over or do a refractasnapshot!

miyoisomix.i2p

#24 2018-04-19 01:15:57

stanz

Howdy MiyoLinux smile  Feel free to throw in a few dollars!! tongue
SpaceFM is my new toy~~~

Ok, went one to continue those 33 updates...This ones the extreme right now, -
libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18 -- removes 13 pkgs, one of them "parrot-updater" !?

and I'm allowed (haa!) to run dist-upgrade!
holding off on updating: desktop-base, intel-microcode (using amd here), iucode-tool, & linux-image-amd64
Think I better hurry up and get beowulf repos in apt!! yikes

miyoisomix.i2p

#25 2018-04-19 01:59:38

MiyoLinux

stanz wrote:

Howdy MiyoLinux smile  Feel free to throw in a few dollars!! tongue
SpaceFM is my new toy~~~

Good grief'amighty! After discovering that SpaceFM works with udevil to mount items...without the need for gvfs...that's all I've studied. big_smile

Drawback:
1. ...no icons on the Home folders. tongue

Benefits:

1. ...this bad boy is awesome! People want a dual-panel file manager? SpaceFM can have up to 4 panels! smile

2. ...get the Trash plugin if you want Trash available (and learn how to use it; it's easy)

https://github.com/jpfleury/corbeille-spacefm

3. ...use "bookmarks" in the side pane for Home, Root File System, and Trash.

4. ...best of all...you can really "Miyo" to your heart's content with SpaceFM!!!

big_smile big_smile big_smile

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-04-19 02:00:31)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Board footer