The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#101 2023-07-16 22:03:32

aitor
Website

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

prospero wrote:

Both Gnuinos Chimaera (installed on hdd) and Daedalus (from the live ISO) boot fine and run great here.

I am using the 64-bit Xfce version in both cases, from the last ISO.

Thank you Aitor!

Welcome smile

I you are using Xfce, I recommend you to upgrade both usbmount and xfce4-hopman-plugin. On the other hand, I use to disable the volume management in Thunar because there are some conflicts between vdev and gvfs-daemons/udisks not fixed yet. Devices are mounted/unmounted without issues, but it seems that cancellable operations like:

g_volume_mount (G_VOLUME (device->device),
                G_MOUNT_MOUNT_NONE,
                mount_operation,
                cancellable,
                thunar_device_operation_finish,
                op);

don't receive any response and, therefore, the callback thunar_device_operation_finish -responsible for stopping the spinner when the operation finishes- is run only once the timeout has been expired, taking too long. The same goes for the umount process. And I think that this bug is related to libudev-compat.

Last edited by aitor (2023-07-16 22:06:11)

If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

#102 2023-08-06 00:45:38

zapper

Do you plan to support ARM devices in the future as well? By the way, pondering trying your operating system again, but am having trouble finding it online... unless its at sourceforge. I thought I was seeing things though.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#103 2023-08-06 00:53:31

golinux
Administrator

#104 2023-08-06 00:58:08

zapper

golinux wrote:

My chosen search engine has been acting weird... yeah that does work.

My next question is, which is more reliable right now,  chimaera, or daedalus?

I would guess the first, but I will download that one anyhow, just because its smaller. wink

I have need of an alternate os because of not being able to do some flashing stuff on my computer.

Libreboot like stuff aka.

./blobutils isn't working, etc... on my usual.

xD

I wonder if it has improved at all since I last used it though.

Guess I shall see soon?

Btw, I apologize for not leaving more nonsense lately, but I have been occupied.

I know you guys miss it...

/S

big_smile

Last edited by zapper (2023-08-06 00:59:17)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#105 2023-08-06 01:05:10

zapper

Btw, a fully jwm iso install, complete with jwmkit installed, would be interesting and awesome. Aka, first run would be already activated, etc...

Not strictly needed, necessary but it would be awesome.

Peace Be With us All!

#106 2023-08-06 01:13:55

golinux
Administrator

zapper wrote:
golinux wrote:

My chosen search engine has been acting weird... yeah that does work.

No search engine needed:
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=32#p32

#107 2023-08-27 11:07:10

aitor
Website

zapper wrote:

Btw, a fully jwm iso install, complete with jwmkit installed, would be interesting and awesome. Aka, first run would be already activated, etc...

Not strictly needed, necessary but it would be awesome.

Hi zapper, I did have the JWMkit in mind from the very beginning because the work done by Calvin Kent is realy impressive. As to gnuinos daedalus images, I explained in earlier posts -and also in the DNG mailing list- that I'm trying to fix some issues arising in the behavior of volume mount operations with vdev as device manager, that have been partially solved. Thus, the images will be released when I deem fit and, for sure, trying to cover a broader range of window managers and desktops, along with xfce and openbox.

Last edited by aitor (2023-08-27 11:12:42)

#108 2023-08-30 10:57:30

zapper

Sounds wise aitor, yeah... I am not on the DNG mailing list, so I would't know.

Peace Be With us All!

#109 2023-09-13 21:00:39

aitor
Website

I've updated the isos

#110 2023-09-13 23:48:55

prospero

Thank you for the new ISOs. I fell asleep at some point last month, and did not realize that Daedalus has now been promoted to stable.

The Chimaera Xfce version that I installed some time ago is doing quite fine, I just updated it today. It is taking about 450MiB of RAM, which is great for a system with a complete DE, and about 950MiB with Icecat, LibreOffice and GIMP running, which is quite a feat.

I will upgrade the USB live system to the last Daedalus ISO, and see how that goes.  cool

UPDATE: The Gnuinos Daedalus live session works great, so I am considering installing it. A fresh install is an option, but I would like to try upgrading from Chimaera. Is there anything specific to know? simply edited the sources.list to 'daedalus' and ran apt upgrade, and that was it. Or is something missing? It currently says "Daedalus" everywhere, and all personal settings were correctly applied wherever applicable.

Last edited by prospero (2023-09-21 08:12:54)

#111 2023-10-09 09:01:09

prospero

It appears that the complete procedure is detailed there: https://www.devuan.org/os/documentation … o-daedalus. Not sure how I could miss that.

So I followed up with the extra steps, and all went well. Gnuinos Daedalus is now up and running smoothly, and only marginally taking extra RAM compared to Chimaera, with the relative difference decreasing with the load.

#112 2023-12-17 22:21:24

aitor
Website

aitor wrote:

Devices are mounted/unmounted without issues, but it seems that cancellable operations like:

g_volume_mount (G_VOLUME (device->device),
                G_MOUNT_MOUNT_NONE,
                mount_operation,
                cancellable,
                thunar_device_operation_finish,
                op);

don't receive any response and, therefore, the callback thunar_device_operation_finish -responsible for stopping the spinner when the operation finishes- is run only once the timeout has been expired, taking too long. The same goes for the umount process. And I think that this bug is related to libudev-compat.

This issue was addressed at the end of October:

https://github.com/storaged-project/udi … sions/1209

together with other bug fixes. And now, the current version of vdev is working fine with udisks2. It has been tested also not only with GIO and GVFS in Xfce, but also with KIO in kde plasma.

Given that, I updated the iso images of gnuinos today (only xfce):

https://www.gnuinos.org/mirror/daedalus/

To those people not subscribed to dng, I must tell you that libudev-compat now works for both vdev and eudev. Thus, you can change from vdev to eudev and vice versa without the need of reinstalling libeudev.

#113 2023-12-24 23:59:51

prospero

Great work, as always! Thank you aitor.

I just have one side question, about a boot time warning message saying that udevd cannot be found. Since this is expected, I was wondering what is triggering the message. So far I have found this general explanation, which sounds reasonable: "These are related to many things on Linux revolving around udev."

The line is in there: /etc/runit/bootup/02-eudev.sh. Is it for compatibility reasons? I just modified the string so it now says "Gnuinos 5.0 Daedalus rocks!" instead.

#114 2023-12-26 02:45:47

zapper

Tell me if you support ARM64 in the future. I would love to use this on my pocket mnt reform. it will be a while till other options, HyperbolaBSD for example... show up.

Peace Be With us All!

#115 2023-12-26 05:03:47

prospero

zapper wrote:

...my pocket mnt reform. it will be a while till other options... show up.

Why did you buy it then? lol

You can send it to me if you have no use for it. I would be interested in installing Trisquel on it, but my strict moral consciousness forbids me from sending such an amount of money for a blobbed device. Next time, just send the $1000 to me, I could have much better use for it. I would probably send it to aitor to support Gnuinos, at least that would be useful and deserved.

#116 2023-12-26 15:10:32

ExposeGlobalistsMadness

zapper wrote:

Tell me if you support ARM64 in the future. I would love to use this on my pocket mnt reform. it will be a while till other options, HyperbolaBSD for example... show up.

I second that, on both accounts!  May Gnuinos please offer an ARM64 iso!  ...and HyperbolaBSD is a useful alternative forward although unfortunately it is not Debian-based, but they recognise the drawbacks of Rust in the kernel and other issues - see their 'Philosophy' listing in the left margin!
Genode with its Sculpt OS is another alternative to the loss of privacy, security and licensing use freedom, and  RISC-V is an up-and-coming architecture, already supported by Debian.

#117 2023-12-26 23:21:37

zapper

prospero wrote:
zapper wrote:

...my pocket mnt reform. it will be a while till other options... show up.

Why did you buy it then? lol

You can send it to me if you have no use for it. I would be interested in installing Trisquel on it, but my strict moral consciousness forbids me from sending such an amount of money for a blobbed device. Next time, just send the $1000 to me, I could have much better use for it. I would probably send it to aitor to support Gnuinos, at least that would be useful and deserved.

Blobbed device? Perhaps, but I got it because its 7 inch ARM64 modular device.

Its no more blobbed in my opinion then anything else on the market, much less actually.

I don't agree with FSF's standards on what constitutes RYF.

And actually, more specifically, it should be RYP

Respects Your Privacy

Another words, there is no device that respects freedom 100% out there, probably never will be. 95%? Maybe... but microcode always exists in a system to some extent.
It just ain't feasible and people should accept it. RYP however would work.

Disabling the network stack of backdoors? Possible, example intel me from gen 3-12. Not sure about gen 13+

Disabling all non-free aspects replacing with new code? That isn't possible... without breaking the law.

I am not assuming he will support ARM64. It was a request. If it doesn't happen, meh w/e.

I just asked in case he would be open to it.

tongue

Although, its possible Risc-V, Openpower Microwatt and Openpower Libre-Soc will be easier to support in the ultra long term.

No idea tho.

But yeah, basically privacy can be achievable if coreboot like bios and network stack backdoor issues can be disabled.  Otherwise, no.

Last edited by zapper (2023-12-26 23:22:57)

Peace Be With us All!

#118 2023-12-26 23:26:30

zapper

ExposeGlobalistsMadness wrote:

I second that, on both accounts!  May Gnuinos please offer an ARM64 iso!  ...and HyperbolaBSD is a useful alternative forward although unfortunately it is not Debian-based, but they recognise the drawbacks of Rust in the kernel and other issues - see their 'Philosophy' listing in the left margin!
Genode with its Sculpt OS is another alternative to the loss of privacy, security and licensing use freedom, and  RISC-V is an up-and-coming architecture, already supported by Debian.

Rust is also mega bloated so... I don't think their memory safe security claims are worth trusting. Not to mention their tight grip on the standard will make it impossible for anyone to fix these idiotic bloat problems.

HyperbolaBSD has the potential to be many miles better because it will be based on OpenBSD as a hard fork design.

That's not to say devuan can't make their own.

The more money that flows Hyperbola's way, the more they can accomplish stuff like supporting ARM64 long term. As long as they can get the hardware also ofc. smile

Peace Be With us All!

#119 2023-12-27 00:38:43

prospero

I like your logic of requesting extra work for Gnuinos while suggesting sending money elsewhere. lol

zapper wrote:

RYP

How about RYS?

Reclaim Your Sanity.

#120 2023-12-28 20:43:19

aitor
Website

prospero wrote:

Great work, as always! Thank you aitor.

I just have one side question, about a boot time warning message saying that udevd cannot be found. Since this is expected, I was wondering what is triggering the message. So far I have found this general explanation, which sounds reasonable: "These are related to many things on Linux revolving around udev."

The line is in there: /etc/runit/bootup/02-eudev.sh. Is it for compatibility reasons? I just modified the string so it now says "Gnuinos 5.0 Daedalus rocks!" instead.

Thanks for your comments, Prospero, and sorry for my delay. Yes, the message is echoed by /etc/runit/core-services/02-eudev.sh, a script taken from Void.

Although I did a lot of improvements in vdev, I still have some issues related to optical devices. First, the insertion/removal of dvd drives didn't report any uevent. Surprisingly, /sys/kernel/uevent_seqnum didn't increase automatically along with these events and, therefore, vdev didn't receive any event from netlink unless the user have typed the blkid command afterwards. I've addressed this bug by adding a new vdev action that sets /sys/block/sr?/events_poll_msecs to some number greater than zero (by default -1), which causes the kernel to poll the device and triggers a uevent when it detects the kernel change without the need of running blkid to increasing the seqnum. I took the idea from eudev/rules/60-block.rules (lines nº4 - 5) that enables in-kernel media-presence polling:

https://github.com/eudev-project/eudev/ … lock.rules

This new action fixes the first issue with optical devices. However, I still have another issue not fixed yet because xfburn, k3b and the like don't want to recognize the dvd drive.

Last edited by aitor (2023-12-29 01:23:58)

#121 2023-12-28 20:52:22

aitor
Website

zapper wrote:

HyperbolaBSD has the potential to be many miles better because it will be based on OpenBSD as a hard fork design.

I think that HyperbolaBSD is a very interesting project.

#122 2023-12-28 20:56:16

aitor
Website

zapper wrote:

Yes, zapper, gnuinos will support arm sooner rather than later.

#123 2023-12-28 20:57:18

aitor
Website

ExposeGlobalistsMadness wrote:

Thanks a lot for the link, I didn't know about Genode!

#124 2024-01-03 23:07:23

aitor
Website

aitor wrote:

However, I still have another issue not fixed yet because xfburn, k3b and the like don't want to recognize the dvd drive.

Fixed in vdev-1.3.1. I've updated the images.

#125 2024-01-04 20:43:49

zapper

aitor wrote:
zapper wrote:

Yes, zapper, gnuinos will support arm sooner rather than later.

If you do support arm sooner than later and it works well enough, I could potentially install on my rockpro64!

big_smile

Peace Be With us All!

Board footer