The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#76 2017-08-17 16:22:40

MiyoLinux

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

I have discovered a couple of issues with the Miyo-XTRA release...

1. The menu of the LXPanel doesn't populate applications installed after installation of the system (the openbox menu and Xfce panel's menu does).
2. Some applications can't be added to Plank.

Check the Wiki on Sourceforge for fixes (?) for these issues. If someone knows a better fix, please let it be known here on the forum.

https://sourceforge.net/p/miyolinux/wiki/browse_pages/

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#77 2017-08-17 20:52:36

greenjeans
Website

fungus wrote:

But the list is there but even with complete sudo rights none can be mounted.

This part at least, can be fixed usually in /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks2.policy, you'll see when you get that file open.  At the top a couple of the  "allow_active" options with regard to mounting need to be changed from "auth_admin" to "yes".

Lots of useful tweaks you can make in the various policy files, you can also stop the gksu dialog from popping up for shutdown which it will do if more than one user is logged in (i.e. your user and root user both logged in).

Last edited by greenjeans (2017-08-17 22:03:16)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#78 2017-08-17 21:42:11

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

you are king openboxer
how d'ya get lxpanel without the rest of the desktop?  Did you manually delete the rest of the stuff and left lxpanel and dependencies?
I bet the same questions applies about xfcepanel

On the last miyo 64 on pcmanfm the list of partitions DO come up on the left column, which I haven't been able to get done on my ascii or ceres
Devuan openbox.  If I log into lxde they work.
But the list is there but even with complete sudo rights none can be mounted.
Now even on lxde if I run sudo pcmanfm the list does not come up but if the user has mounted them then root has access in the /media/user/** mounted volumes.
I know I had asked before and I am still researching this problem. 
eudev is now on all my installations but the problem pre-existed, it is not related.
All the necessary gvfs tools are installed.

I don't know fungus, I just throw it out there and it works. tongue

I do my normal Openbox stuff to build Miyo. Then for this latest built to add the extra panels, I just did...

apt-get install lxpanel

...and bam!

Funny thing about Xfce4 panel...I install a couple of Xfce apps in Miyo, and I would add the --no-install-recommends to them so that they wouldn't pull in the Xfce4 panel. So, since I wanted it added, I just ran...

apt-get install xfce4-panel

Had to get Plank from Ascii.

I build from the ground up, so without really knowing your method, I may not be much help. I start with a base Devuan system with no desktop from a netinstall (remove the checkmarks when you get to the part of the installation where you choose a desktop). After the installation finishes, you'll reboot into a CLI. Then basically, the first three commands that I run in the cli are (well I do run a few other commands first, but these are the three that I use to start building Miyo)...

1.  apt-get install lightdm
2.  apt-get install openbox
3.  apt-get install pcmanfm

I let those three pull in whatever they want to pull in...and everything works for me. smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#79 2017-08-18 11:53:07

fsmithred
Administrator

MiyoLinux wrote:

1. The menu of the LXPanel doesn't populate applications installed after installation of the system (the openbox menu and Xfce panel's menu does).

It works ok here. If I install a package, it's in the lxpanel menu immediately. I checked this on a couple systems to make sure. It worked on one phat (refracta) and one skinny (openbox sans dbus/consolekit/polkit). Main reason I use lxpanel in my openbox builds is because I don't have to do anything to it.

#80 2017-08-18 13:32:30

MiyoLinux

fsmithred wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

It works ok here. If I install a package, it's in the lxpanel menu immediately. I checked this on a couple systems to make sure. It worked on one phat (refracta) and one skinny (openbox sans dbus/consolekit/polkit). Main reason I use lxpanel in my openbox builds is because I don't have to do anything to it.

Thanks fsr. I'm not sure what the deal was. Before I switched to the LXPanel, I had installed several things with the terminal while still having tint2 as the panel. When I switched panels, the Xfce panel showed them, but not LXPanel. For some reason, installing an application with Synaptic or Gdebi Package Installer caused everything to show in the LXPanel's menu. Not sure why.

Speaking of Synaptic. I also see that for some reason (in Miyo-XTRA), the buttons aren't showing in Synaptic..you know...Apply, Mark all upgrades, Search, etc. The buttons are there, because you can hover your mouse over the area where they're supposed to be, and tool tips will show up. You can press the "unseen" button, and it works. However, a user can use the "Edit" option in the tool bar at the top of the screen to perform all of the same functions as the buttons.

I'm thinking that it may be somehow related to me sneaking into Ascii to get Plank. Several libs were also upgraded when I installed Plank...wondering if that caused the situation with Synaptic somehow? I don't know.

I'm trying to address any issues with Miyo-XTRA in the Sourceforge wiki; they are listed as...

Miyo-XTRA: the-name-of-whatever

So far, I've found four issues that escaped me during my testing... tongue ...for which I give fixes (or ways around) for.

Miyo-XTRA: Can't add some applications to Plank   
Miyo-XTRA: Gufw doesn't show in all panel's menus   
Miyo-XTRA: LXPanel Menu doesn't populate applications   
Miyo-XTRA: No buttons show in Synaptic

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-08-18 15:56:04)

#81 2017-08-18 14:35:20

fsmithred
Administrator

Things like invisible buttons, invisible borders, crowding of menu items, either horizontally or vertically, all are symptoms of the gtk3 sickness. Test with some different themes.

If it's a gtk3 problem with plank or one of its deps, the solution might be to repackag plank (or whatever) to use gtk2 instead. I did that with yad-0.38, which now reminds me of another symptom - buttons off-screen.

#82 2017-08-18 15:39:53

golinux
Administrator

Yes, most likely the 'gtk3 sickness'.  It's going to get harder and harder to find usable themes.  No doubt works perfectly in Gnome </sarcasm>

#83 2017-08-18 16:02:34

MiyoLinux

Crack!

I was considering making an Ascii and possibly Ceres versions of Miyo. What's weird is, when I've upgraded the previous versions of Miyo to Ascii and Ceres, I didn't notice any problems with buttons or themes.

Might still be on the table...just don't know if I want to put something out there that will possibly require users to do a lot of

-f install

...just to get up and running.

tongue

Might try upgrading Miyo-XTRA to Ascii/Ceres just to see what happens...'cause I like doing stuff like that. LOL! big_smile

#84 2017-08-18 16:42:59

fungus
Website

Been there, done that.
Mmmmm............... iyo

#85 2017-08-18 17:22:56

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

Been there, done that.
Mmmmm............... iyo

What's that? -f installs? LOL!

First test...upgraded Miyo-XTRA to Ascii. Went fine, but I had to do the steps to regain the right-click menu that I gave for Vuu-do (except I had the obmenu-generator .deb package already available in the latest Miyo)...and THE BUTTONS ARE BACK IN SYNAPTIC. big_smile

Will play around with this for awhile, then upgrade to Ceres. First inclination is that everything appears to be working great.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-08-18 17:24:11)

#86 2017-08-18 17:38:14

MiyoLinux

Edited the "MiyoLinux Menu Fix" thread to reflect this change for users who have upgraded from Jessie to Ascii...now to edit the Sourceforge wiki. LOL!

#87 2017-08-18 22:23:53

fungus
Website

Not so fast slick! (read the article in my blog about systemd and bicycles)

I said mmmm..... because I don't know whether it was something I did or something that pertains with the miyo recipe that goes "capluey ??sp??" in ceres.
Dpkg could not built obmenu-generator or install it, and gdebi is not installable.  Kept running into broken pkgs everywhere and then just dumped the whole project and plan to start clean.  Things got so wacky I didn't know what is causing what anymore.
Maybe staying away from synaptic in ceres is a good idea and stick to apt.  I never figured out what the earlier warning about smart upgrade and usual upgrade was, but in synaptic it seems as it does not exist anymore.  I thought I may have checked "don't ask me again" but why wouldn't it exist in Miyo?
And what about the mixed architecture repo accessing.  Why do we need this?  It seems as synaptic does an apt-get dist-upgrade on any upgrade which seems to be vastly different than apt upgrade.

Look for a new topic I am opening up about the "WTF upgrade is this?"

#88 2017-08-19 09:31:42

fungus
Website

MiyoMaestro, please read this BEFORE you upgrade to ceres.
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=4573#p4573

Now it makes sense.  I thought that all three repositories were monitored and reviewed by the DevuanDev team.  They are not, they are just copies of the Debian repositories, with minor changes in ascii.  Between ascii and ceres there is a whole Debian release missing, specifically Buster.  It would be like going from Devuan jessie to Debian Sid

#89 2017-08-19 11:22:26

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

MiyoMaestro, please read this BEFORE you upgrade to ceres.
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=4573#p4573

Now it makes sense.  I thought that all three repositories were monitored and reviewed by the DevuanDev team.  They are not, they are just copies of the Debian repositories, with minor changes in ascii.  Between ascii and ceres there is a whole Debian release missing, specifically Buster.  It would be like going from Devuan jessie to Debian Sid

LOL! I was getting on here to give my "assumptions" regarding upgrading to Ceres...because I had already done it. tongue

A few weeks ago, when I upgraded the old Miyo from Jessie to Ascii to Ceres, everything worked fine...aside from having to reinstall obmenu-generator with each upgrade. This time, it upgraded to Ascii fine...but not so good with Ceres. As far as I can tell, everything appears to be working on Ceres; however, the icons in the openbox menu are hit and miss. So my assumption was that something has changed in Ceres within the last few weeks...which isn't surprising. wink

While I like playing around with unstable, I'm not willing to use it as a daily driver. I'd much rather be able to fire up my computer and know that everything is going to work rather than having the latest software but not knowing what's going to accost me when I try to use it. LOLOLOL! smile

Now...it's time to reinstall Miyo. wink

#90 2017-08-19 12:40:36

fungus
Website

I think something you have changed on Miyo is meeting ceres (Debian sid) in a very bad time.
I am making this assumption because my one installation on metal is old miyo that evolved to ascii.
The newer pre-xtra miyo disliked ceres very much.  It just fell apart.  I think part of this is using
synaptic which used dist-upgrade on every upgrade.  I suspect the settings from Devuan affect
plain apt while synaptic is falling on Debian architecture plan.  I can't explain the vast difference
between apt upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade on a straight devuan-ceres installation.  So I am
being very careful and selective what I allow to be upgraded.

Meanwhile Artix is "unbelievable" ... but did I already say this today?  Not in a competitve way
but just admiration of something a few weeks old to be that capable.  They even made a cript
for runit to run as a supervisor/parallel of openrc/sysvinit, a bit redundant but a security
measure for stability.  It still boots up like a bullet and gets me wifi connected on console which
I have had a terrible time in deb/vuan.

#91 2017-08-19 12:46:05

fungus
Website

You want to see a weird looking background for openbox?  On artix I tried slim as DM, and the only defect I found, no pcmanfm or nitrogen running, it does not erase any window that was opened up.  It throws it as a background.  ANY window.  Just right clicking on obmenu-generator menu it leaves it back.  So you can fill the screen with them and anything else you open.  It is like a picture of the window before it was closed is painted in the background.  Everything else works fine if you can tolerate this collage of eX-windows.
I am sure it is just an error in a slim script to erase the previously painted window. But sddm and lightdm work flawlessly.

#92 2017-08-19 13:28:09

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

I think something you have changed on Miyo is meeting ceres (Debian sid) in a very bad time.
I am making this assumption because my one installation on metal is old miyo that evolved to ascii.
The newer pre-xtra miyo disliked ceres very much.  It just fell apart.  I think part of this is using
synaptic which used dist-upgrade on every upgrade.  I suspect the settings from Devuan affect
plain apt while synaptic is falling on Debian architecture plan.  I can't explain the vast difference
between apt upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade on a straight devuan-ceres installation.  So I am
being very careful and selective what I allow to be upgraded.

Meanwhile Artix is "unbelievable" ... but did I already say this today?  Not in a competitve way
but just admiration of something a few weeks old to be that capable.  They even made a cript
for runit to run as a supervisor/parallel of openrc/sysvinit, a bit redundant but a security
measure for stability.  It still boots up like a bullet and gets me wifi connected on console which
I have had a terrible time in deb/vuan.

Hmmm...off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that different. The base is still the same as the previous version. Yes, I did "add" a few things...the keyboard switcher, number lock, and allowing pcmanfm to control the desktop...and I adjusted the menu a bit, but other than that, it's the same...built the same following the same procedure. The only other difference that I can think of is that the Installer is a newer version, but I don't see how that could affect anything.

When I toyed around with Sid, I installed apt-listbugs. If I remember correctly, that would stop any dist-upgrade from installing anything with bug reports, and I would have to either tell it not to upgrade those "bug" packages and install the rest, install those packages anyway, or just call off the dist-upgrade and wait a few days and try again...but it's done through the terminal...not sure if apt-listbugs works in Synaptic. I haven't checked whether apt-listbugs is available in Devuan or not.

Later today, I will install the 2016 version of Miyo and run it through the upgrades from Jessie to Ascii to Ceres. It went flawlessly a few weeks ago, so I'm interested to see what will happen to it now since the newer versions of Miyo get stupified on Ceres. tongue

As for the XTRA version...I'm thinking of pulling it off Sourceforge and rebuilding it. When I went with Plank, I was faced with two choices...compile it from source or get it from Ascii. Compiling from source would pull in a lot of extra packages; thus, making the .iso larger. So, I went with getting it from Ascii. That was a mistake. I just finished compiling Plank from source on the regular Miyo, and though it pulled in those extra packages, it didn't affect the buttons on Synaptic. I think the trade-off in .iso size is worth it. Live and learn...

#93 2017-08-19 13:58:33

fungus
Website

The first I realized as being strange is that dpkg was not working with obmenu-generator
Then gdebi could not install, then something else and it went all down hill from there.

#94 2017-08-19 18:18:00

MiyoLinux

fungus wrote:

The first I realized as being strange is that dpkg was not working with obmenu-generator
Then gdebi could not install, then something else and it went all down hill from there.

I'm a bit confused and don't mean anything negative, but what exactly did you do? Did you build your own system, upgraded the base system from Jessie to Ascii to Ceres...and then try to install obmenu-generator? The reason I'm asking is because Gdebi worked fine for me in Ceres when I reinstalled the obmenu-generator .deb package (I didn't try using dpkg from the terminal). If that's the case, perhaps try installing Gdebi (and any other pertinent packages/applications) while still in Jessie, then upgrade.

I just did my first test build of 32 bit XTRA with compiling Plank from source, and I was rather pleased (and surprised) that the .iso was less than 10 MBs larger. smile

#95 2017-08-20 00:28:01

bigbenaugust

I have experimented with Devuan, but wanted something a little... more desktoppy in nature, and so threw Miyo on my netbook last night. So far so good. I enabled jessie-backports for a 4.9 kernel and LibreOffice 5.

Miyo may oust BunsenLabs on the other laptop in the house. smile

#96 2017-08-20 12:40:34

MiyoLinux

bigbenaugust wrote:

I have experimented with Devuan, but wanted something a little... more desktoppy in nature, and so threw Miyo on my netbook last night. So far so good. I enabled jessie-backports for a 4.9 kernel and LibreOffice 5.

Miyo may oust BunsenLabs on the other laptop in the house. smile

Hi bigbenaugust. Thank you for giving MiyoLinux a try...and for the nice words. smile

#97 2017-08-21 13:43:40

bigbenaugust

MiyoLinux wrote:

Hi bigbenaugust. Thank you for giving MiyoLinux a try...and for the nice words. smile

It's nice. Reminds me of the old days of crunchbang, before everything got pushed into the app menus. UI is great too. And of course, this one is systemd-free.

#98 2017-08-26 18:32:04

MiyoLinux

Okay. The new releases of Miyo-XTRA are now available. I've addressed the issues that I had found in the original release of XTRA (except for adding "some" applications to Plank...which actually can be added). As a result, I've also added a few "XTRA" tools to hopefully make things somewhat easier and more enjoyable for users...

With Miyo-XTRA, you get...

Tools...

1. Sound Mixer (Alsa Mixer)
2. Customize Look of Root Account
3. Open PCManFM as Root
4. "On the fly" controls for...
    Conky
    Compton
    Touchpads on laptops

Please note: the items in #4 above are also available for users in the Autostart file; therefore, they can have those preferences enabled/disabled at system start-up. However, being able to change them "on the fly" is certainly a bonus at times. wink

You also get the Panel Switcher, which consists of...

1. Tint2
2. LXPanel
3  Xfce4 Panel
4. Plank

I almost added perlpanel, but I feared it would be a little confusing to some users. It's a neat panel, but it requires a bit of user configuration. You might want to check it out if the bug ever bites you...

The XTRA wallpapers are included too...

1. The corrected version of Dev1 Colors (purple background with MiyoLinux in green)
2. Dev1 Purpy Colors2 (purple background with MiyoLinux in dark purple)

Both are available for download in the Wallpapers folder on the Sourceforge site.

Keep in mind that Miyo is still Miyo...a basic and minimum system for you to build what you want in order to make it your own. I've gone completely whack-a-doodle and made some things easier...which goes against my original premise of Miyo. LOLOLOL! My original premise was to provide a minimal and base system that worked out of the box...but would still require users to put in a little bit of effort in order to make it suit their needs. Now I've gone all soft and made things a liitle bit easier. tongue

Please read ALL of the notes provided with Miyo...and save them in case you need to reference them again.

ALSO, PLEASE BE AWARE...if you want a system that uses less resources, you can easily disable PCManFM's control of the desktop in the Autostart file. Disabling PCManFM's control over the desktop will save you about +/- 30 MBs of RAM at system start-up. Instructions are included in the Release Notes. This applies to both the original version of the 2017 release and the XTRA version.

If anyone tries it, I hope it serves you well. smile

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyoli … 7-Release/

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-08-26 19:03:25)

#99 2017-08-26 19:42:41

darry1966

Congrats Miyo,

Perseverance gets you there, and you persevered - nice work.:)

#100 2017-08-26 22:11:20

fungus
Website

Not the final version, I am sure you will find more things to tweek.
Congratulations as well.
Did you (miyo and all miyo users) by any chance see this comment?
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=4733#p4733
I hit two cops with one stone (I'd never hit a bird).

Board footer