The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2022-02-19 20:59:31

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: What are you reading/want to read ?

Since we're posting political stuff:

https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library … t-faq-full

All you lucky Devuan users can install a local copy under /usr/share/doc/anarchism/ with

# apt install anarchism

Related:

# apt install fortune-anarchism

smile

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#52 2022-02-20 11:34:18

xinomilo
Unknown

Used anarchism faq package, since my first days in debian, another good reading smile

Thought it was unmaintained lately... big_smile
but i guess there is still hope smile

#53 2022-02-20 13:12:27

anticapitalista

hevidevi wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:

The Man who Loved Dogs by Leonardo Padura

Trotsky was a mass murderer from what i have read, what it is the story behind this book?

I'll ignore the first part of your comment.

The book is basically about the 3 lives of men who loved dogs; the narrator, Trotsky and his assassin.

Once I finish it, I'm going to re-read The Case of Comrade Tulayev by Victor Serge.

Last edited by anticapitalista (2022-02-20 13:12:53)

#54 2022-02-20 13:39:27

hevidevi

anticapitalista wrote:
hevidevi wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:

The Man who Loved Dogs by Leonardo Padura

Trotsky was a mass murderer from what i have read, what it is the story behind this book?

The book is basically about the 3 lives of men who loved dogs; the narrator, Trotsky and his assassin.

Once I finish it, I'm going to re-read The Case of Comrade Tulayev by Victor Serge.

Should give this one a read too, Pol Pot: Anatomy of a Nightmare by Philip Short
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/185675.Pol_Pot

#55 2022-02-20 14:50:59

anticapitalista

hevidevi wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:
hevidevi wrote:

Should give this one a read too, Pol Pot: Anatomy of a Nightmare by Philip Short

Does anyone think that the Pol Pot regime was anything but a nightmare?

Try this one instead - Cambodia After the Khmer Rouge' by Evan Gottesman.

Gottesman shows the disgusting tactics of the US, which supported the Khmer Rouge and Pol Pot when they fled to the Thai border and became known as the ‘resistance’. The UN voted to recognise the Pol Pot regime as the legitimate representative of Cambodia. Both the US and Britain voted in favour at a time when the true horrors of the killing fields were being exposed to the world.

Last edited by anticapitalista (2022-02-20 15:01:01)

#56 2022-02-21 08:14:41

hevidevi

anticapitalista wrote:
hevidevi wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:

Does anyone think that the Pol Pot regime was anything but a nightmare?

Try this one instead - Cambodia After the Khmer Rouge' by Evan Gottesman.

Gottesman shows the disgusting tactics of the US, which supported the Khmer Rouge and Pol Pot when they fled to the Thai border and became known as the ‘resistance’. The UN voted to recognise the Pol Pot regime as the legitimate representative of Cambodia. Both the US and Britain voted in favour at a time when the true horrors of the killing fields were being exposed to the world.

I dont see the aim of the title to be a question of whether or not anyone thinks it was a nightmare. But if you frame it like that,you go on to answer your own question in your next paragraph i believe? The US .gov and Nato have been propping up tyrants for decades, they are like the grandfather of all tyrants imo. Anyhow, that Gottesman book does seem like an interesting read and one i will put on the list.

#57 2022-02-21 13:03:07

hevidevi

The Gulag Archipelago By Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

The Gulag Archipelago is Solzhenitsyn’s attempt to compile a literary-historical record of the vast system of prisons and labor camps that came into being shortly after the Jewish Bolsheviks seized power in Russia in 1917 and that underwent an enormous expansion from 1924 to 1953. Various sections of the three volumes describe the arrest, interrogation, conviction, transportation, and imprisonment of the Gulag’s victims by Bolshevik Alexander-Solzhenitsyn in Gulagauthorities over four decades. The work mingles historical exposition and Solzhenitsyn’s own autobiographical accounts with the voluminous personal testimony of other inmates that he collected and committed to memory during his imprisonment. Upon publication of the first volume of The Gulag Archipelago, Solzhenitsyn was immediately attacked in the Soviet Jewish press. He was arrested and charged with treason on February 12, 1974, and was exiled from the Soviet Union the following day.

#58 2022-02-21 13:37:27

anticapitalista

Jewish Bolsheviks? Was that summary written by Hitler's nazis or the Tsarist secret police?

#59 2022-02-21 14:20:19

Ogis1975
Website

hevidevi wrote:

Writing nonsense is your vocation? Or you are you simply a fan of Mein Kampf?

Solzenitsyn was a paid propagandist so he (mis)interpreted factual evidence to get the job done properly (in order to get paid timely and awesomely by his sponsors). I can tell you the whole Gospel narrative in any mode that will suit your personal taste, just make an advance payment please. His interpretation of the Soviet history was +/- 95% fake. He was a liar and a political prostitute.

The author is treated politely (most of the time), has bread and bunk, warm clothes. He is not forced into hard physical labor, he reads books and has plenty of time to chat, ramble, gossip and spew out all his hatred for Stalin. He is an informant under the nickname of Vetrov, reporting his prison mates to the most hated NKVD/MGB officers. He plays chess, attends theatrical performances, listens to the radio, reads newspapers.

No one ever did beat or torture him. Nothing even remotely resembling the Auschwitz concentration camp experience.

When Solzhenitsyn gets terminally ill he is operated against cancer - absolutely free of charge (hello, America!). He is given expensive medications, well fed (although he complains a lot about poor quality food - no lobsters or caviar, sorry dude), well taken care of.

So all in all, if you read carefully and sift down what the guy is telling us about his own experience in the Soviet Gulag (penitentiary system) - it was that bad at all. By the way, the biggest Gulag ever is in the USA, with over 2 million prisoners (with private jails, too).

O yeah, almost forgot to mention - he also hates NKVD/MGB/KGB so much!

Cheap prostitutka.

hevidevi wrote:

Jewish Bolshevism

Walter Laqueur traces the Jewish-Bolshevik conspiracy theory to Nazi ideologue Alfred Rosenberg, for whom Bolshevism was "the revolt of the Jewish, Slavic and Mongolian races against the German (Aryan) element in Russia". Germans, according to Rosenberg, had been responsible for Russia's historic achievements and had been sidelined by the Bolsheviks, who did not represent the interests of the Russian people, but instead those of its ethnic Jewish and Chinese population.

Fascists pretending to Democrats are very predictable ...

I'm reading at the moment Antonio Gramsci "The ape people" L'ordine nuovo, 2 January 1921

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#60 2022-02-21 15:50:29

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I'm reading the website linked from Ogis1975's profile. What an awesome resource :-)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#61 2022-02-21 17:46:51

andyprough

My favorite book by a communist was The Man on Mao's Right, Ji Chaozhu's autobiography. Driven out of China by the Japanese invasion, he wound up studying at Harvard until his family became involved in Mao's new government and he moved to China to begin a lifelong career as a translator and a foreign affairs diplomat.

Ji Chaozhu always liked noodles better than rice - my kind of guy. For an insider's perspective on the rise and fall and rise and fall and rise and fall of Maoism, this book can't be beat. It's propaganda of course (as all books by politicians and military people are by their very nature), but it's a heck of a good read. A discerning reader would gain quite a bit from it. Non-discerning readers should skip these kinds of books and stick to Harry Potter books or Danielle Steel romantic drama books or something, or just don't read books at all, which is kind of the modern way.

#62 2022-02-22 08:31:53

hevidevi

anticapitalista wrote:

Jewish Bolsheviks? Was that summary written by Hitler's nazis or the Tsarist secret police?

I found free ebooks for 'The Gulag Archipelago' along with the summary i posted from this website to do with the Holodomor Genocide.

https://holodomorfacts.wordpress.com/do … ee-ebooks/

Last edited by hevidevi (2022-02-22 08:36:20)

#63 2022-02-22 08:34:06

hevidevi

Ogis1975 wrote:
hevidevi wrote:

Writing nonsense is your vocation? Or you are you simply a fan of Mein Kampf?

Solzenitsyn was a paid propagandist so he (mis)interpreted factual evidence to get the job done properly (in order to get paid timely and awesomely by his sponsors). I can tell you the whole Gospel narrative in any mode that will suit your personal taste, just make an advance payment please. His interpretation of the Soviet history was +/- 95% fake. He was a liar and a political prostitute.

The author is treated politely (most of the time), has bread and bunk, warm clothes. He is not forced into hard physical labor, he reads books and has plenty of time to chat, ramble, gossip and spew out all his hatred for Stalin. He is an informant under the nickname of Vetrov, reporting his prison mates to the most hated NKVD/MGB officers. He plays chess, attends theatrical performances, listens to the radio, reads newspapers.

No one ever did beat or torture him. Nothing even remotely resembling the Auschwitz concentration camp experience.

When Solzhenitsyn gets terminally ill he is operated against cancer - absolutely free of charge (hello, America!). He is given expensive medications, well fed (although he complains a lot about poor quality food - no lobsters or caviar, sorry dude), well taken care of.

So all in all, if you read carefully and sift down what the guy is telling us about his own experience in the Soviet Gulag (penitentiary system) - it was that bad at all. By the way, the biggest Gulag ever is in the USA, with over 2 million prisoners (with private jails, too).

O yeah, almost forgot to mention - he also hates NKVD/MGB/KGB so much!

Cheap prostitutka.

hevidevi wrote:

Jewish Bolshevism

Walter Laqueur traces the Jewish-Bolshevik conspiracy theory to Nazi ideologue Alfred Rosenberg, for whom Bolshevism was "the revolt of the Jewish, Slavic and Mongolian races against the German (Aryan) element in Russia". Germans, according to Rosenberg, had been responsible for Russia's historic achievements and had been sidelined by the Bolsheviks, who did not represent the interests of the Russian people, but instead those of its ethnic Jewish and Chinese population.

Fascists pretending to Democrats are very predictable ...

I'm reading at the moment Antonio Gramsci "The ape people" L'ordine nuovo, 2 January 1921

Ok but i didnt write the summary, see previous post to anticapitalista.

Back on topic...

Wanting to read...

Triggers: How We Can Stop Reacting and Start Healing

Work with your triggers to find peace in the painful moments and lasting emotional well-being.

Psychotherapist David Richo examines the science of triggers and our reactions of fear, anger, and sadness. He helps us understand why our bodies respond before our minds have a chance to make sense of a situation. By looking deeply at the roots of what provokes us--the words, actions, and even sensory elements like smell--we find opportunities to understand the origins of our triggers and train our bodies to remain calm in the face of painful memories.

The book offers in-the-moment exercises on how to process difficult emotions and physical manifestations in order to to cultivate the inner resources necessary to deal with recurring memories of trauma. When we are triggered, Richo writes, "we are being bullied by our own unfinished business." Explore what your body's knee-jerk reactions can teach you. Triggers: How We Can Stop Reacting and Start Healing acts as a guide to your body's powerful responses, helping you to remain calm under pressure and discover the key to emotional healing.

https://www.amazon.com/Triggers-Stop-Re … 1611807654

#64 2022-02-22 13:14:30

anticapitalista

hevidevi wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:

I found free ebooks for 'The Gulag Archipelago' along with the summary i posted from this website to do with the Holodomor Genocide.

You really should stop reading such anti-Semitic websites.

I had to laugh at this one - Lenin-The Jewish Architect of European Genocide

#65 2022-02-22 13:46:49

hevidevi

anticapitalista wrote:
hevidevi wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:

Dont tell me what i should do!

Their is always two sides to every story and one doesn't get a complete picture/understanding by espousing ignorance.

#66 2022-02-22 15:11:41

anticapitalista

hevidevi wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:
hevidevi wrote:

Their is always two sides to every story and one doesn't get a complete picture/understanding by espousing ignorance.

So linking to sites that espouse anti-Semitism is ok by you then?
I'm out of here.

#67 2022-02-22 15:36:03

blackhole

As soon as politics were brought up - thread was doomed.

#68 2022-02-22 19:15:30

xinomilo
Unknown

correct is "as soon as nazis/racists come in, earth is doomed.. again."

everything is politics, even the systemd "series".. so, being "neutral"/ignore/look the other way, isn't the "nice" thing to do.
it's obvious, a nazi bastard is crawling around here, spreading misinformation.. talking about 2 sides on racism... nope, there's just people and racist bastards..

---
p.s. lots of books about it.

#69 2022-02-22 20:11:25

golinux
Administrator

Free speech is a tricky thing but is speech "free" when it is only allowed for some but not for others? Book burning is also problematic.  Which books get burned and who makes those decisions? The gamut of human opinion is infinite and it is driven either by   generosity or greed, kindness or hate and truth or delusion.  How does hating those who hate solve anything?  It just fuels the flames.  The Devuan community is better than this . . .

#70 2022-02-23 03:20:02

hevidevi

anticapitalista wrote:
hevidevi wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:

So linking to sites that espouse anti-Semitism is ok by you then?
I'm out of here.

I was unaware the term "Jewish Bolshevism" was anti semitic.

You asked who wrote the summary, i provided the source which i didnt do in my original post regarding the books "The Gulag Archipelago"

#71 2022-02-23 03:26:33

hevidevi

xinomilo wrote:

correct is "as soon as nazis/racists come in, earth is doomed.. again."

everything is politics, even the systemd "series".. so, being "neutral"/ignore/look the other way, isn't the "nice" thing to do.
it's obvious, a nazi bastard is crawling around here, spreading misinformation.. talking about 2 sides on racism... nope, there's just people and racist bastards..

---
p.s. lots of books about it.

When i said two sides to every story i was indicating the issue around the books "The Gulag Archipelago" please pay attention.Bit hard for me to be a nazi when my mother is Kenyan and my father Mauritanian.

#72 2022-02-23 09:37:12

LU344928

anticapitalista wrote:

Cambodia After the Khmer Rouge' by Evan Gottesman.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

John Pilger has written (and filmed) extensively on the topic:

'Cambodia had been the West's dirty secret since then-president Richard Nixon and his national security adviser Henry Kissinger ordered a "secret bombing", extending the war in Vietnam into Cambodia in the early 1970s, killing hundreds of thousands of peasants.

"If this doesn't work", an aide heard Nixon say to Kissinger, "it'll be your ass, Henry".

It worked in handing Pol Pot his chance to seize power... Incredibly, the British government of Margaret Thatcher had continued to support the defunct Pol Pot regime in the United Nations and even sent the SAS to train his exiled troops in camps in Thailand and Malaysia. '

https://www.greenleft.org.au/content/jo … d-30-years

Last edited by LU344928 (2022-02-23 09:42:02)

Google is not your friend

#73 2022-02-23 12:38:04

Ogis1975
Website

hevidevi wrote:

Bit hard for me to be a nazi when my mother is Kenyan and my father Mauritanian.

If you think the nazis can be only white or mixed races, you are wrong.

OK, but what is fascism and nazism?

Fascism (and  nazism) not a form of state power "standing above both classes – the proletariat and the bourgeoisie," as Otto Bauer, for instance, has asserted. It is not "the revolt of the petty bourgeoisie which has captured the machinery of the state," as the British Socialist Brailsford declares. No, fascism is not a power standing above class, nor government of the petty bourgeoisie or the lumpen-proletariat over finance capital. Fascism is the power of finance capital itself. It is the organization of terrorist vengeance against the working class and the revolutionary section of the peasantry and intelligentsia. In foreign policy, fascism is jingoism in its most brutal form, fomenting bestial hatred of other nations.... The development of fascism, and the fascist dictatorship itself, assume different forms in different countries, according to historical, social and economic conditions and to the national peculiarities, and the international position of the given country.

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#74 2022-02-23 13:14:20

hevidevi

A History of Central Banking and the Enslavement of Mankind

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/233 … of-mankind

The role of money-lenders in history was once aptly termed by many acute observers as the "Hidden Hand." It is the power to create, lend and accumulate interest on "credit," and then re-lend that interest for further interest, in perpetuity, that creates pervasive, worldwide debt, from the individual, to the family, to the entire state. The ability to operate a fraudulent credit and loan system has long been known, and through all the slickness of a snake-oil salesman, the money-lenders - the same types Jesus whipped from the Temple - have persuaded governments that banking is best left to private interests. Many wars, revolutions, depressions, recessions, and other social upheavals, have been directly related to the determination of these money-lenders to retain and extend their power and profits. When any state, individual or idea has threatened their scam they have often responded with wars and revolutions. The cultural and material progress of a civilization will often relate to the degree by which it is free from the influence of debt, and the degradation that results when the money-lenders are permitted to regain power. Hence, Goodson shows that both World Wars, the Napoleonic wars, the American Revolution, the rise and fall of Julius Caesar, the overthrow of Qathafi in Libya and the revolution against Tsar Nicholas, among much else relate to this "Hidden Hand" in history. This is the key to understanding the past, present and future. (less)

#75 2022-02-23 15:14:51

blackhole

LU344928 wrote:

Incredibly, the British government of Margaret Thatcher had continued to support the defunct Pol Pot regime in the United Nations and even sent the SAS to train his exiled troops in camps in Thailand and Malaysia.

Not incredible at all.  She was pure evil.

Board footer