The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-12 00:52:34

golinux
Administrator

Meet the Daedalus sapphire theme

Here's a sneak peek of the Daedalus "sapphire" theme. It's presented on black because the light background of the forum kills the intense blue which has a "glow" on the desktop:
sapphire background

This theme was inspired by the jewel-like waters of the Mediterranean sea where Daedalus was born on the island of Crete:
sapphire background

Note that a 1080p specific background option will be available for Daedalus thanks to Lars Noodén!

More to come . . .  smile

#2 2022-02-12 07:30:51

xinomilo
Unknown

Re: Meet the Daedalus sapphire theme

golinux wrote:

This theme was inspired by the jewel-like waters of the Mediterranean sea where Daedalus was born on the island of Crete:
https://dev1galaxy.org/files/crete_sm.jpg

nice smile
not really into appearance/theme stuff, but mentioning the island where i live, caught my eye smile

p.s. in case anyone wonders, picture is from "Seitan Limania" beach.

#3 2022-02-12 12:43:43

Ogis1975
Website

Nice theme. Thank you for your work!

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#4 2022-02-12 14:20:07

catprints

Nice. A blue that does not give me microsoft gag response. Good job.

"The obstacle is the path."

#5 2022-02-12 16:10:40

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Beautiful work! Very well done to all involved.

@xinomilo: what a gorgeous place to live, I am very jealous.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#6 2022-02-24 02:04:00

golinux
Administrator

sapphire reversed
Decided to reverse the polarity and tweak the colors a bit.  Whaddya think?  Are we there yet?

#7 2022-07-21 12:32:50

Lomax

Definitely prefer the second (light on dark) version. Nice colours!

"I cannot lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies."

#8 2022-07-22 07:00:06

GlennW

golinux wrote:

https://dev1galaxy.org/files/sapphire_reversed.png
Decided to reverse the polarity and tweak the colors a bit.  Whaddya think?  Are we there yet?

Sweet! Love the blue. Thank you for all your work.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#9 2022-07-22 15:25:20

hunter0one

I really like the latter. Thanks for all the work you do!

Last edited by hunter0one (2022-07-22 15:25:47)

#10 2022-07-22 18:06:02

golinux
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback. All the pieces of the Clearlooks-Phenix-Sapphire theme are here and here if you want to give it a try.  Not quite sure about the openbox themerc. I asked for testers but no one ever responded . . .

#11 2022-07-22 19:49:22

aitor
Website

hunter0one wrote:

I really like the latter. Thanks for all the work you do!

I also like that one. Thanks golinux!

If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

#12 2022-07-22 20:08:57

aitor
Website

golinux wrote:

Not quite sure about the openbox themerc. I asked for testers but no one ever responded . . .

It's the first I have heard of this. I installed the Clearlooks-Phenix-Deepsea-theme and the openbox themerc looks homogeneous and accords with the gtk theme.

If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

#13 2022-07-22 20:29:22

golinux
Administrator

aitor wrote:
golinux wrote:

Not quite sure about the openbox themerc. I asked for testers but no one ever responded . . .

It's the first I have heard of this. I installed the Clearlooks-Phenix-Deepsea-theme and the openbox themerc looks homogeneous and accords with the gtk theme.

Oh, Aitor . . . THANK YOU!! Could you please post some screenshots? I only adjusted the hexes in the file with what I think should work but have never actually seen it!! It might need some tweaking . . .

Oops I need to learn how to read . . . The deepsea theme for Chimaera is fine. We're talking about the sapphire theme for Daedadus!!

#14 2022-07-22 21:23:01

fsmithred
Administrator

Here's the themerc for openbox with the sapphire hexes. The one in the current package is unchanged from the original clearlooks-phenix theme. Replace the one in the sapphire theme package with this one. If you can figure out why it doesn't work,  please let us know.
https://paste.debian.net/1248088/

paste is good for 90 days.

#15 2023-01-31 03:08:44

Azuma Hazuki
Website

Sorry for the long bump here...I just installed Daedalus in a VM and pulled down the Sapphire theme suite. It...look exactly the same as DeepSea aside from some highlight/accent colors. Is this intentional, or is more work planned to be done on it?

#16 2023-01-31 05:34:58

golinux
Administrator

Greetings Azuma Hazuki!

I have been following your LXQt thread with great interest. Thank you for porting the themes to a WM environment!

No need to pull down anything from daedalus to get the themes. All of the raw files and documentation for all the themes are collected in our git store

The base colors of chimaera and daedalus are extremely different. The deepsea theme of chimaera is greenish and murky. This was my inspiration. The sapphire theme of daedalus evokes the brilliant colors of the sun drenched seas surrounding the Greek Islands where Daedalus was born.

That being said, the 2 themes share a light blue element so I recycled the icons and images from the Clearlooks-Phenix-Deepsea and the gnome desktop icons. All the other elements and icons share there respective signature colors.  It works well on the desktop but a WM might not use the features that focus on the primary theme color but rather just the shared elements.

#17 2023-02-01 02:51:27

Azuma Hazuki
Website

golinux wrote:

Greetings Azuma Hazuki!

I have been following your LXQt thread with great interest. Thank you for porting the themes to a WM environment!

No need to pull down anything from daedalus to get the themes. All of the raw files and documentation for all the themes are collected in our git store

The base colors of chimaera and daedalus are extremely different. The deepsea theme of chimaera is greenish and murky. This was my inspiration. The sapphire theme of daedalus evokes the brilliant colors of the sun drenched seas surrounding the Greek Islands where Daedalus was born.

That being said, the 2 themes share a light blue element so I recycled the icons and images from the Clearlooks-Phenix-Deepsea and the gnome desktop icons. All the other elements and icons share there respective signature colors.  It works well on the desktop but a WM might not use the features that focus on the primary theme color but rather just the shared elements.

Sapphire theme is done smile I don't know if Devuan has a particular emphasis on LXQt or not, but hopefully people get some use and enjoyment out of these. I really like both Devuan and LXQt as projects, but due to complete lack of coding skill this is the only way I can contribute anything...

#18 2023-02-01 03:37:27

golinux
Administrator

Azuma Hazuki wrote:

Sapphire theme is done smile I don't know if Devuan has a particular emphasis on LXQt or not, but hopefully people get some use and enjoyment out of these.

Quite a few Devuan users have LXDE or LXQt installed so your themes will definitely be appreciated. Maybe you'd want to open an account on our git and add them there?

Azuma Hazuki wrote:

I really like both Devuan and LXQt as projects, but due to complete lack of coding skill this is the only way I can contribute anything...

Ditto. big_smile I am pretty good at playing with colors, editing/writing and keeping track of Devuan's history etc. I also took care of the websites for many releases but have now passed that task on to someone else.  I will do the wallpaper for Excalibur but no more theming beyond that. Perhaps you'd want to take some of that on for XFCE? Please contact me on irc or by email if you have an interest in that.

#19 2023-08-19 23:47:19

vrgovinda

Question: How to make the grub and theming reflect Daedalus instead of Chimaera

golinux wrote:

Here's a sneak peek of the Daedalus "sapphire" theme.

More to come . . .  smile

Thanks to everyone involved in the Devuan project. Very grateful to all of you.

I've upgraded to Daedalus. lsb_release -a shows:

~$ lsb_release --all
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Devuan
Description:	Devuan GNU/Linux 5 (daedalus)
Release:	5
Codename:	daedalus

But the grub and the theme are indicative of "Chimaera".

update-grub returned:

Generating grub configuration file ...
Found background image: splash.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.1.0-10-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.1.0-10-amd64
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-22-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-22-amd64
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-9-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-9-amd64
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Found Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS (20.04) on /dev/nvme0n1p3
Found Devuan GNU/Linux 4 (chimaera) on /dev/sda5
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
done

Any help is appreciated.

#20 2023-08-20 01:16:50

golinux
Administrator

vrgovinda wrote:

You'll need to switch to the Clearlooks-Phenix-Sapphire theme in "Appearance" or manually from /usr/share/themes/ and also select it in the "Window Manager" options. There may be other parts in /usr/share/themes/.  grub-styling is in /usr/share/desktop-base/. It is the default in Daedalus (or should be). How it's set up is a mystery to me but maybe fsmithred can jump in to sort things more clearly. Nice to hear that some folks really like Sapphire. Thank you!

[EDIT] You can also get all the pieces HERE.

#21 2023-08-20 07:55:57

rolfie

vrgovinda wrote:

update-grub returned:

Generating grub configuration file ...
Found background image: splash.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.1.0-10-amd64

Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
done

Any help is appreciated.

On my system the first line past the header line shows:

Found theme: /boot/grub/themes/sapphire-grub/theme.txt

That is missing on your end. I had to move the themes from /usr/share/desktop-base/ to /boot due to encryption, grub has no access when required.

Inspect your /etc/default/grub, I guess the corresponding setting is commented out.

#22 2023-08-21 09:12:09

rolfie

Update: when you just do an cli install without any DE, desktop-base isn't installed, and no Sapphire theme. Then also the them line is omitted in /etc/default/grub.

#23 2023-08-21 11:13:24

soren

In my experience with daedalus testing from rc4 netinstall iso, ive had to remove the /boot/grub/splash.png that corresponded with chimaera as i was getting both the chimaera boot splash image from /boot/grub and the sapphire boot splash image from desktop-base when the updates to stable started to come through.

#24 2023-08-22 02:54:16

zapper

golinux, I very much think this one is better than the chimaera one.  Not as fond of green as blue.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#25 2023-08-23 11:37:08

vrgovinda

rolfie wrote:

Update: when you just do an cli install without any DE, desktop-base isn't installed, and no Sapphire theme. Then also the them line is omitted in /etc/default/grub.

I installed desktop-base and it works like a charm!!

P.S.: It manhandled my lightdm config. Had to spend time in restoring it.

Board footer