The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-24 13:49:02

dice
Website

What are you reading/want to read ?

As in books, physical paper books or digital ebooks etc. If you share here please post a short synopsis as i have done.

Reading: Endgame V1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endgame_(Jensen_books)

Endgame is a two-volume work by Derrick Jensen, published in 2006, which argues that civilization is inherently unsustainable and addresses the resulting question of what to do about it. Volume 1, The Problem of Civilization, spells out the need to immediately and systematically destroy civilization. Volume 2, Resistance, is about the challenging physical task that dismantling civilization presents.

Want to read: Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon
https://www.amazon.com/Weird-Scenes-Ins … 1909394122

Laurel Canyon in the 1960s and early 1970s was a magical place where a dizzying array of musical artists congregated to create much of the music that provided the soundtrack to those turbulent times. Members of bands like the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, the Monkees, the Beach Boys, the Mamas and the Papas, the Turtles, the Eagles, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, Steppenwolf, Captain Beefheart, CSN, Three Dog Night, Alice Cooper, the Doors, and Love with Arthur Lee, along with such singer/songwriters as Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, James Taylor, Carole King, Jackson Browne, Judi Sill and David Blue, lived together and jammed together in the bucolic community nestled in the Hollywood Hills.

But there was a dark side to that scene as well.

Last edited by dice (2021-03-24 13:50:07)

#2 2021-03-24 16:43:20

Ogis1975
Website

Re: What are you reading/want to read ?

Now i am reading     Karl Marx "Capital. A Critique of Political Economy".

Last edited by Ogis1975 (2021-03-24 16:43:38)

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#3 2021-03-24 23:10:26

GlennW

The Body Keeps the Score – Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
Bessel Van der Kolk, M.D.

...is a 2014 book by Bessel van der Kolk about the effects of psychological trauma, also known as traumatic stress.[1][2] The book describes van der Kolk's research and experiences, on how individuals are affected by traumatic stress, and its effects on the mind and body.
Synopsis

In The Body Keeps the Score, van Der Kolk focuses on survivors of psychological trauma, giving an account of how trauma has affected them.[1] He also discusses some possible routes to healing (including eye movement desensitization and reprocessing, yoga, and limbic system therapy).[3] The book has five parts: Rediscovery of Trauma, This is Your Brain on Trauma, The Minds of Children, The Imprint of Trauma and Paths to Recovery.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Body_Keeps_the_Score

Opening my mind to other recovery methods... one day at a time.

Last edited by GlennW (2021-03-24 23:13:12)

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#4 2021-03-25 00:38:39

manyroads
Website

I share my materials on Goodreads... I generally read a pile of books per year (and review almost all of them). I have 41 so far this year, they are here:  https://www.goodreads.com/manyroads

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads
i3wm, bspwm, dkwm, dwm, hlwm, sway, openbox on Sid/ ceres ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

#5 2021-03-25 14:22:56

dice
Website

I enjoy seeing what others are reading.

@ Ogis, must give that a read someday.

@ GlennW, hope you are successful in your recovery, that title looks like an interesting read.

@ manyroads, i often check with goodreads for reviews. I mostly read non fiction though or least i believe it to be non fiction.Nonetheless you have quite an extensive library at good reads.

thanks for sharing

#6 2021-03-25 18:11:04

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I've had a copy of Legacies of the Sword: The Kashima-Shinryu and Samurai Martial Culture by Karl Friday on order since just before the current lockdown but I can't pick it up...

Bloody COVID.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#7 2021-03-25 20:44:09

greenjeans
Website

Currently reading the collected verse of Rudyard Kipling. Good stuff!

"...We know that the tail must wag the dog, as the horse is drawn by the cart;   
But the Devil whoops, as he whooped of old: "It's clever, but is it Art?"...."

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#8 2021-04-02 16:18:47

Spock

I finished my degree about 25 years ago.(Anglo-American Analytic philosophy (basically the study of logic as applied to language and science)) Before I did that degree I absolutely loved reading books but, man, I read so much, I...just read too much... that degree killed my whole enjoyment of reading for pleasure or intellectual stimulation. these days I can only read technical manuals. So I have been going over some old stuff and am reading one of the O'Reilly books "Linux Network Servers"

#9 2021-04-22 18:39:35

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Legacies of the Sword: The Kashima-Shinryu and Samurai Martial Culture by Karl Friday

It finally arrived. A very good book — the author is both a professor of Japanese history and also a shihan (Kashima-Shinryū instructor) so it is an authoritative text on the subject. Now I just have to wait for the local chapter to re-open. Bloody COVID.

I also received my copy of A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, a seminal science fiction classic.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2021-04-22 18:41:33)

#10 2021-04-23 13:43:39

dice
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Legacies of the Sword: The Kashima-Shinryu and Samurai Martial Culture by Karl Friday

It finally arrived. A very good book — the author is both a professor of Japanese history and also a shihan (Kashima-Shinryū instructor) so it is an authoritative text on the subject. Now I just have to wait for the local chapter to re-open. Bloody COVID.

I also received my copy of A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, a seminal science fiction classic.

That would be an interesting read, i like reading up on Japanese history, especially its architecture, carpentry and ancient methods of building.

Im current reading, How to be free by Tom Hodgkinson. It is quite the literary masterpiece in my opinion.

A joyful blueprint for a simpler and freer way of life. Medieval in places.
If you've ever wondered why you bother to go to work, or why so much consumer culture is crap, then this book is for you. Looking to history, literature and philosophy for inspiration, Tom Hodgkinson provides a joyful blueprint for a simpler and freer way of life. Filled with practical tips as well as inspiring reflections, here you can learn how to throw off the shackles of anxiety, bureaucracy, debt, governments, housework, supermarkets, waste and much else besides.

https://www.punkt.ch/en/inspiration/lib … to-be-free

I picked it up for a dollar at the local salvos.

#11 2021-04-23 16:13:47

siva

Just finished "Cyber Security Essentials" and "Cybersecurity and Cyberwar." Keeping an eye out for any opsec or cyber forensics books that might be worth reading.

Purely for fun, though, reading Pahlaniuk's "Doomed." "Rant" is next.

#12 2021-04-23 16:48:35

Ron

On my list to read: The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.

#13 2021-04-23 22:49:32

siva

Ron wrote:

On my list to read: The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.

Get ready for little politics and a ton of snark. And this really uncomfortable scene where he goes on about hanging out in the nude...

#14 2021-05-11 17:28:49

pj1967

The Inheritance of Rome by Chris Wickham

#15 2021-05-11 22:26:07

GlennW

The Yoga-Sutra of Patanjali, Georg Feuerstein.

Just got it, still flicking through, "continuous translation" at the back.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#16 2021-05-11 23:58:18

andyprough

The Wars of the Jews, or History of the Destruction of Jerusalem by Flavius Josephus, translated by William Whiston
Reading it in the terminal with my nifty little cli ebook reader, 'epy'.

#17 2021-05-12 15:02:14

dice
Website

andyprough wrote:

The Wars of the Jews, or History of the Destruction of Jerusalem by Flavius Josephus, translated by William Whiston

That would be an interesting read considering the current situation in Jewish occupied Palestine.

#18 2021-05-13 09:19:48

anticapitalista

dice wrote:
andyprough wrote:

That would be an interesting read considering the current situation in Jewish occupied Palestine.

You should say Zionist occupied Palestine. Judaism (religion) is not Zionism (colonialism).

#19 2021-05-13 10:16:38

dice
Website

anticapitalista wrote:
dice wrote:
andyprough wrote:

You should say Zionist occupied Palestine. Judaism (religion) is not Zionism (colonialism).

I suppose so, isreali/zionist. But arent most zionists jewish? I get your point though, you cant say religion is to blame for these things, oh wait!

#20 2021-05-13 13:49:08

andyprough

dice wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:
dice wrote:

I suppose so, isreali/zionist. But arent most zionists jewish? I get your point though, you cant say religion is to blame for these things, oh wait!

I'm reading a book about the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD by the Roman armies under their commander Titus, son of Vespasian. It is supposedly an eyewitness account by Josephus, who was both a Jerusalem-born Jew and at times employed by the Romans. That's all I was referring to, not to any current conflicts or disputes. I don't watch divisive cable news broadcasts, so three word political memes about 'whom is occupying what' don't hold a lot of meaning for me.

Just thought I would state that for the record, I did not want anyone accusing me of starting a political side thread or doing anything to run this perfectly good book-reading thread off the rails. I appreciate the thread, dice, I hope we all pick up a lot of good book recommendations from it as it goes forward. Brilliant idea.

#21 2021-05-13 13:57:48

dice
Website

Totally agree andy, was not my intention to start anything political or religious. All i was pointing out is that history is repeating itself again in a new world.

I would rather see both sides of that current conflict be at peace, but it is unlikely.

Ok nuff of that.

Im currently reading

Civilized To Death - The Price Of Progress.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/285 … d-to-death

#22 2021-05-13 15:13:28

golinux
Administrator

dice wrote:

Totally agree andy, was not my intention to start anything political or religious. All i was pointing out is that history is repeating itself again in a new world.

If this surprises you, you haven't been paying attention.  wink  Humans never seem to learn . . . at least about the things that matter . . .

#23 2021-05-13 15:23:04

dice
Website

golinux wrote:
dice wrote:

If this surprises you, you haven't been paying attention.  wink  Humans never seem to learn . . . at least about the things that matter . . .

not really, just mindful attention. I learn something new everyday, whether or not its good or bad i dont know, what i do know is that matter is an illusion.

#24 2021-06-13 16:17:54

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

#25 2021-07-03 21:18:19

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Jack Four by Neal Asher.

Awesomely gruesome action sci-fi from the best in the business. Highly recommended.

Board footer