The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-22 15:41:06

mckaygerhard
Website

backup systems sheet comparison

material to start made your own comparison..

http://venenuxmassenkoh.blogspot.com/20 … manda.html

the reading are spanish, but the table comparison are language-less so users can starts from that table to make own criteria...

list of systems compared: Bacula    Bareos    Amanda    Burp    Tivoli    Veritas    Legato    ARCserve    Arkeia    Quest    LBackup

For something simple and fast, bacuppc; but if it is for an "all in one" centralized, bareos.

For distributed and clustered environments you can try bacula, but Bareos complies with this without complicating.

But if you want something generalized multiplatform, you can try with some burp effort, because it has a web interface provided by an alternate project, burp-ui, which is very intuitive, also uses another external project called burp-browser for customers, Both in github.

FReeNAS its not only a backup system, its a complete OS, integrates a backula system.

#2 2017-06-22 17:24:22

catprints

Re: backup systems sheet comparison

Clonezilla works very well for my simple system backups. I also like rsync for regular file backups. That being said, I run a simple desktop install.

"The obstacle is the path."

#3 2017-06-22 17:34:30

mckaygerhard
Website

yeah, but clonezilla its more oriented to rescue tools, the list its to focused in diary backup tool

#4 2017-06-22 17:36:09

golinux
Administrator

I use rsync and refractasnapshot

#5 2017-06-22 17:36:20

mckaygerhard
Website

yeah, but clonezilla its more oriented to rescue tools, the list its to focused in diary backup tool

about rsyn, that's i used, but for shared environments coordination are important!

in the comparison one of the system are a complete complex frontend to rsync.. that coordinates file access for severall concurrent users, also with extra check and friendly user interface..

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-06-22 17:37:44)

#6 2017-06-23 23:24:05

greenjeans
Website

Refractasnapshot. Works perfectly. Ridiculously easy to use. Bonus: make your own livecd's.  It may be my favorite software for linux ever. wink

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#7 2017-06-24 02:15:18

mckaygerhard
Website

comparing a refracta again bareos are crazy? refracta its a local only backup system.. i'm talking about shared collaborative environment..

its like comparing google agains sqlite.. obviously one its part of the other, but the other its the one!

its not about what are the best.. simply the refracta are not for a complex shared collaborative environment...

if you talk about MS sharepoint.. but men please!

#8 2017-06-24 10:03:37

fsmithred
Administrator

refracta its a local only backup system.

The other problem with it is that it's no good for backing up large amounts of data. The iso size limit is 4GiB. I don't even call it a backup system.

I just use rsync for backup. I tried grsync, but I could never figure out exactly what it was going to do. (when you tell it to backup foo, does it backup foo/ or foo?)

#9 2017-06-24 12:36:42

mckaygerhard
Website

That's why i put the sheet comparison.. for REAL information..

documenttion its important to claryfy bad made concepts: WHY A COMPLEX SUSPPORT SYSTEM? mantain in sync 2 machines its easy, but automate 22 machines every day, remotelly its not so easy for people that have many reponsabilities.. for that we need a "automated system".. and what about 200 machines in the job building!?

the http://venenuxmassenkoh.blogspot.com/20 … manda.html sheet its for a point of start.. does not covert specific info like authors, lines of code, requeriments..

its made for more general comparison respect needs.. The purpose is REAL information and clarification of, due not all the people have a limited brain and may think more beyond of their vision..

This allows you to choose a SUPPORT BACKUP SYSTEM (and not only any program isolated) based on the needs and problems that may arise in the environment ..

To that table of comparisons, it is lacking to know which this one and which not in Debian and Devuan.

Obviously CC-BY-SS license

#10 2017-06-25 03:55:34

mckaygerhard
Website

ok its insteresting well-knowed how we can made backup of ONE disk at HOME . but seems people here are with short eyes and little mind!

the topic are for organizational systems, not for a one computer at home! now i already know why companies have so much power.. ! there-s no vision!

#11 2017-06-25 04:16:22

golinux
Administrator

@mckaygerhard . . . Do you have to be so consistently insulting to others on this forum?  Why would you expect someone to get excited over something for which they have no use?  And why do you demean the solutions that work for them? Reality  check . . . you do not have all the answers and your way is not the only way . . .

#12 2017-06-25 11:01:03

FOSSuser

OP is a systems admin?

FreeNAS is a FreeBSD Network Attached System.

Most of what s/he is talking about are for multiple systems back up in an industrial environment from what I can tell.

Most of the people on the forum are end users, from what I can tell, so will naturally have a different perspective.

Posts need to be put into perspective. smile

#13 2017-06-25 12:12:02

mckaygerhard
Website

FOSSuser wrote:

Most of what s/he is talking about are for multiple systems back up in an industrial environment from what I can tell.

i' was trying to explain that, but its very frustraing.. all the users are confusiong disk baculp with file sync backup! now the post are very ove-hiyakyng respect the original idea!

Board footer