The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-08 22:26:04

sgage

This should be fun...

Just posted on Slashdot:

Debian Begins Vote on Supporting Non-Systemd Init Options

https://linux.slashdot.org/story/19/12/ … it-options

Last edited by sgage (2019-12-08 22:28:02)

#2 2019-12-09 00:04:22

freemedia2018

Re: This should be fun...

do we know the timeframe on this? when does it close?

monopolies are able to change free software so it better serves their freedom than ours.

why is that so difficult to prove to many free software advocates, and what is it that stops them from caring?

#3 2019-12-09 00:05:59

sgage

freemedia2018 wrote:

do we know the timeframe on this? when does it close?

I believe it's 20 days.

#4 2019-12-11 01:54:43

aut0exec

Voting period starts      2019-12-07 00:00:00 UTC
     Votes must be received by 2019-12-27 23:59:59 UTC

Top of the ML message.

That's an interesting set of choices to say the least.

#5 2019-12-11 08:17:43

Dutch_Master

Yup. And reading through the options it's clear that whomever wrote them is obviously intent on getting Debian into the systemd-exclusivity-zone ASAP. Yes, the default option is "more discussion" but only to wear out any pro-init-choice supporters until they give up their resistance or leave the Debian project. Note that the clarification of option 6, which makes it mandatory for Debian dev's to support multiple init-systems, is very, very short indeed, especially in light of the others which favour systemd.

But that's just my interpretation smile

#6 2019-12-11 10:59:01

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Dutch_Master wrote:

whomever wrote them

Each individual option was submitted by a named Debian developer who had the backing of several supporters.

The full list of names is in the official announcement: https://www.debian.org/vote/2019/vote_002

Option E seems to be what most folks here would want, the developers can select just that and leave the other options unvoted if they want to. That's all I'm saying about this.

EDIT: corrected link.

EDIT2: s/Option D/Option E/

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2019-12-11 11:10:29)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#7 2019-12-11 12:31:07

Dutch_Master

Ah, thx for clarifying that.

Anyway, I do hope it's clear my preference would be to get Debian to move away from systemd and its lock-in of FOSS, like many here I s'pose, but I'm afraid that won't happen as it's not an option in that ballot sad

#8 2019-12-11 13:00:10

fsmithred
Administrator

I'm not clear on what this means:

Majority Requirement

The proposals need a simple majority

#9 2019-12-11 13:31:10

HevyDevy

fsmithred wrote:

Majority Requirement

Doesn't have much information in regards to this.

Im guessing majority rules on proposals A through H. So if the majority vote in favor of (for example) A, then it is to be done?

#10 2019-12-11 13:38:49

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

fsmithred wrote:

Majority Requirement

From section A.3 of the constitution:

Options which do not have an explicit supermajority requirement have a 1:1 majority requirement.

So that would be >50% (I think).

But the counting is complicated, see section A.6 for the full breakdown:

https://www.debian.org/devel/constitution#item-A

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#11 2019-12-11 14:23:19

HevyDevy

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
fsmithred wrote:

Majority Requirement

From section A.3 of the constitution:

Options which do not have an explicit supermajority requirement have a 1:1 majority requirement.

So that would be >50% (I think).

But the counting is complicated, see section A.6 for the full breakdown:

https://www.debian.org/devel/constitution#item-A

simple and super majority. Talk about complicating matters. Debian is headed for the knackers yard if they keep this shenanigans up. Whats next, ultramajority and superultrasuprememajority, sigh.....

#12 2019-12-11 16:37:01

fsmithred
Administrator

OK, I read A.6 and if I read it again, I'm sure I'll get a headache.

I think we're screwed. As I see it, there should only be two options on this vote:
1. systemd only
2. some kind of support for other inits.

Then if 2 wins, figure out the details.

#13 2019-12-11 17:43:53

sgage

fsmithred wrote:

I think we're screwed. As I see it, there should only be two options on this vote:
1. systemd only

Exactly. But this way they can make it come out any way they want :-/

Yes, I think we're screwed.

#14 2019-12-12 01:09:09

aut0exec

fsmithred wrote:

1. systemd only

Yea... Was wondering this exact thing when reading through the options. Lots of fragmented options for non-systemd.

If Debian goes full systemd, what will this mean for Devuan?

#15 2019-12-12 01:24:24

sgage

aut0exec wrote:
fsmithred wrote:

1. systemd only

Yea... Was wondering this exact thing when reading through the options. Lots of fragmented options for non-systemd.

Surely that is the question...

#16 2019-12-12 01:34:23

golinux
Administrator

sgage wrote:
aut0exec wrote:

We'll need less yammering and more hands on deck to do actual work.

#17 2019-12-13 03:59:04

aut0exec

golinux wrote:
sgage wrote:
aut0exec wrote:

We'll need less yammering and more hands on deck to do actual work.

I'm in as always. Just not sure where I can help or how to get started really. Would love to help work fixes into SysV just don't possess the coding background at current to be of much use there, ha.

#18 2019-12-13 04:29:37

yeti

Have a look at how FreedomBox handles this: https://discuss.freedombox.org/c/contributor-invites

Maybe publishing a list with open problems that itself is a bit less verbose already would be good enough for Devuan?

<𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢 𝚘𝚗𝚕𝚘𝚊𝚍='𝚍𝚘𝚌𝚞𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝.𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢.𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚛𝙷𝚃𝙼𝙻="𝙳𝚒𝚜𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝙹𝚂!";'>
𝔓𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔢 𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔳𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔣𝔞𝔲𝔩𝔱𝔰 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔰𝔢𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 𝔟𝔢𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔡𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔤𝔢𝔱 𝔱𝔬 𝔲𝔫𝔰𝔲𝔟𝔰𝔠𝔯𝔦𝔟𝔢!

#19 2019-12-13 05:25:08

golinux
Administrator

aut0exec wrote:

I'm in as always. Just not sure where I can help or how to get started really. Would love to help work fixes into SysV just don't possess the coding background at current to be of much use there, ha.

Reality check.  I didn't own a computer (which I didn't really want - it was a gift) till I was near 60.  I had zero technical background.  Then I wanted to "do things" so I taught myself . . . html and css from scratch in a text editor, graphics, audio and video editing, desktop theming etc .  If I didn't like something, I figured out how to fix it, even hacking the registry in my windoze days because I wanted things MY way.  My appetite for learning new things and experimenting may not be as voracious as it was all those years ago and tbh, I couldn't pull a bash script out of my head without DDG but I still manage to contribute to Devuan.  I bet you could find a niche that suits you if you looked hard enough.

#20 2019-12-13 05:29:33

golinux
Administrator

yeti wrote:

Have a look at how FreedomBox handles this: https://discuss.freedombox.org/c/contributor-invites

Maybe publishing a list with open problems that itself is a bit less verbose already would be good enough for Devuan?

Lists of what needs doing has never worked very well.  What works is someone seeing/experiencing a problem, figuring out how to fix it and sharing.

#21 2019-12-13 15:13:04

GNUser

Here is the actual proposal: https://www.debian.org/vote/2019/vote_002
I've been watching this closely. Voting ends on December 27.

This year I learned to use OpenBSD and also Tiny Core Linux 64-bit (they call it "Pure64" for some reason). Both of these operating systems are completely immune to systemd nonsense. It doesn't hurt to have options...

Tiny Core uses Busybox init and is minimalistic in every regard, but can be built up to be a full desktop replacement OS. It has been my daily driver since August 2019 and at this point I've added enough polish to it that it does all I need. Warning: It is very much a do-it-yourself OS, similar to Arch Linux but even more extreme in its minimalism. I think Devuan users would find TCL much to their liking.

Hopefully Debian will do the right thing and my wanderings will have been for naught!

Last edited by GNUser (2019-12-13 15:14:46)

#22 2019-12-14 10:23:03

HevyDevy

GNUser wrote:

Here is the actual proposal: https://www.debian.org/vote/2019/vote_002
I've been watching this closely. Voting ends on December 27.

This year I learned to use OpenBSD and also Tiny Core Linux 64-bit (they call it "Pure64" for some reason). Both of these operating systems are completely immune to systemd nonsense. It doesn't hurt to have options...

Tiny Core uses Busybox init and is minimalistic in every regard, but can be built up to be a full desktop replacement OS. It has been my daily driver since August 2019 and at this point I've added enough polish to it that it does all I need. Warning: It is very much a do-it-yourself OS, similar to Arch Linux but even more extreme in its minimalism. I think Devuan users would find TCL much to their liking.

Hopefully Debian will do the right thing and my wanderings will have been for naught!

How did you manage video drivers on Tiny Core?

#23 2019-12-16 04:10:45

GNUser

With extensions/packages. I don't think it would be appropriate to take up space on Devuan's servers to go into great detail here. If you decide to try it and need help, start a thread on forum.tinycorelinux.net or send me a personal message there (my user name is GNUser there, too).

Everything you need to know to get started is in the gratis e-book "Into the Core":
http://www.tinycorelinux.net/corebook.pdf

#24 2019-12-16 10:18:28

HevyDevy

GNUser wrote:

With extensions/packages. I don't think it would be appropriate to take up space on Devuan's servers to go into great detail here. If you decide to try it and need help, start a thread on forum.tinycorelinux.net or send me a personal message there (my user name is GNUser there, too).

Everything you need to know to get started is in the gratis e-book "Into the Core":
http://www.tinycorelinux.net/corebook.pdf

Ok fair enough, thanks.

#25 2019-12-28 12:34:00

aut0exec

golinux wrote:
aut0exec wrote:

Reality check.  I didn't own a computer (which I didn't really want - it was a gift) till I was near 60.  I had zero technical background.  Then I wanted to "do things" so I taught myself . . . html and css from scratch in a text editor, graphics, audio and video editing, desktop theming etc .  If I didn't like something, I figured out how to fix it, even hacking the registry in my windoze days because I wanted things MY way.  My appetite for learning new things and experimenting may not be as voracious as it was all those years ago and tbh, I couldn't pull a bash script out of my head without DDG but I still manage to contribute to Devuan.  I bet you could find a niche that suits you if you looked hard enough.

Fair enough! I'll keep looking around. One thing that has come to mind as of late is Init scripts. Seems support for them has been dwindling (gitea recently cause me enough headaches with an outdated init script).

Board footer