The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2022-12-21 11:46:13

yeti

Re: Google in trouble again

LU344928 wrote:

'By making it appear as if the user is interested in everything, AdNauseam makes it hard for observers to construct a profile of that person.'

...while making your CPU glow bright white and increasing local and global warming?

Last edited by yeti (2022-12-21 11:46:43)

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#52 2022-12-21 13:31:13

blackhole

I'm not sure it works quite like that, though this add on is new to me and I find myself rather skeptical ...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/adnauseam/

AdNauseam not only blocks ads, it obfuscates browsing data to resist tracking by the online ad industry. To throw ad networks off your trail AdNauseam β€œclicks” blocked and hidden ads, polluting your data profile and injecting noise into the economic system that drives online surveillance.

By blocking the ads in the first place, it conserves a lot of CPU and thus power.  Then sending back the response to the host is only a tiny bit of data.  However, I do question it's worth.  Blocking ads is part of the battle, preventing fingerprinting and blocking trackers is another part.  Not sure where this fits in.

#53 2022-12-29 14:25:41

zapper

@blackhole agree with  the poster who posted this comment: https://dev1galaxy.org/profile.php?id=5858

This is a good example of something proprietors like google banning being a sign that its good. Not everything google bans is this way, but probably at least 75% of the time.  tongue

The good that this does, is that usually is that you directly block the big data corporations from getting what they desire and the responsibility falls on Google and not said website, usually anyhow...

smile

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#54 2023-09-14 17:25:16

Saacmatchin
Website

It's Thursday September 14 and google (alphabet corp, LLC) is in trouble again.  I hope they actually make some harsh rulings and make google open up the adtech web search and web advertising monopoly and hierarchical centralized mafia that controls (google Dapps and android / chrome / googAdwords) the web as we know it.  as a web developer I'm very enthusiastic about this news, however I'm skeptical if this government will actually do more than a slap on the hand or a fine.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/GOOG?p= … c=fin-srch

"By Diane Bartz

WASHINGTON, Sept 14 (Reuters) - The Justice Department pressed its argument on Thursday that Google sought to strike agreements with mobile carriers to win powerful default positions on smartphones to dominate search in an antitrust trial that could change the future of the internet.

The government wrapped up questioning of Antonio Rangel, who teaches behavioral biology at the California Institute of Technology on Thursday morning. Rangel discussed how consumers were likely to stick with browsers on computers and mobile phones that were pre-installed as the default application.

The government says the Alphabet unit paid $10 billion annually to wireless companies like AT&T, device makers like Apple and browser makers like Mozilla to be the default search engine on devices to fend off rivals and keep its search engine market share near 90%.

John Schmidtlein, a lawyer for Google, during cross-examination of Rangel, pointed out that a significant number of user search queries went to Google even when another search engine was the default.

A major part of Google's defense is that the government is wrong to say that Google broke the law to hold onto its massive market share because its search engine is wildly popular because of its quality..."

lol

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-us-all … 49596.html

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/2 … e-00079229

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco … ip_23_3207

"The European Commission has informed Google of its preliminary view that the company breached EU antitrust rules by distorting competition in the advertising technology industry (β€˜adtech'). The Commission takes issue with Google favouring its own online display advertising technology services to the detriment of competing providers of advertising technology services, advertisers and online publishers.

Google is a US multinational technology company. Google's flagship service is its search engine Google Search. Google also operates other popular services, such as the video streaming platform YouTube or the mobile operating system Android. Google's main source of revenue is online advertising: (i) it sells advertising space on its own websites and apps; and (ii) it intermediates between advertisers that want to place their ads online and publishers (i.e. third-party websites and apps) that can supply such space.

Advertisers and publishers rely on the adtech industry's digital tools for the placement of real time ads not linked to a search query, such as banner ads in websites of newspapers (β€˜display ads'). In particular, the adtech industry provides three digital tools: (i) publisher ad servers used by publishers to manage the advertising space on their websites and apps; (ii) ad buying tools used by advertisers to manage their automated advertising campaigns; and (iii) ad exchanges where publishers and advertisers meet in real time, typically via auctions, to buy and sell display adds."

any defense of google aka ALphabet Inc. will be interpreted as nepotism or a form of stockholm syndrome wink

https://www.reuters.com/legal/nine-more … 023-04-17/

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-set … %EF%BF%BC/

"β€œToday’s complaint alleges that Google has used anticompetitive, exclusionary, and unlawful conduct to eliminate or severely diminish any threat to its dominance over digital advertising technologies,” said Attorney General Merrick B. Garland. β€œNo matter the industry and no matter the company, the Justice Department will vigorously enforce our antitrust laws to protect consumers, safeguard competition, and ensure economic fairness and opportunity for all.”"

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice- … chnologies

.:. Devuan Version: 6.1.33-rt11-gnu-1.0 - GNU Linux-libre, version 6.1.33-gnu-rt11 - version: 6.1.33-gnu-rt11.
.:. #eschewsystemd .:.
||  https://creator.nightcafe.studio/u/Saacmatchin || https://tinyurl.com/saacmatchin ||

#55 2023-09-17 23:18:39

zapper

Saacmatchin, one can only hope someone will pin them to the ground for a long time for their bs.

such as the "crimeflare network" they have...

https://notabug.org/dCF/deCloudflare

#crimeflare is one of the hashtags on that notabug.org page.

Its beyond appropriate that whoever made that notabug page, calls it crimeflare lol.

big_smile

But yeah, google needs someone to cut their lucrative business by 10x at least. Big corporations hate competition. FACT!

So... yeah.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#56 2023-09-23 09:07:12

LU344928

$5 billion Google lawsuit over β€˜Incognito mode’ tracking moves a step closer to trial

And,

From a mailing list:

1. Which of the following reasons did Judge Gonzalez Rogers use to justify her decision deny Google’s request for a summary judgement in its Incognito mode case?

A. Google never explicitly told its users it still collects data in Incognito mode

B. Google can β€œuniquely identify a user with a high probability of success” even if they use Incognito mode

C. Google implied that it would not collect users’ data while they browsed privately

D. All of the above

Answer: D

Google is not your friend

#57 2023-09-25 00:58:37

zapper

LU344928

We are talking about Google here so... yeah.

The Big 3, Google, Apple and Microsoft all can suck it. These days, I am more inclined to say it to  Google and Microsoft though.

Apple is only a problem for people willing to use their services and more than that, their hardware.

So... the other two really need a giant nerf. Or better yet, they should be deleted from this world.

All capitalist surveillance companies need to die

Last edited by zapper (2023-09-25 00:59:36)

Peace Be With us All!

#58 2023-10-23 14:33:12

WDstudios

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

@OP: I find your links to far-right propaganda websites disturbing.

Fox Business isn't far-right. It's a room in the Fox News building where they put all the libertarians (Kat Timpf, John Stossel, Kennedy etc.) so they don't bother the actual far-righters with silly things like facts and logic.

#59 2023-10-23 14:51:15

golinux
Administrator

Necro-posting is a bit silly. Especially since HoaS has long since left the building . . .

/me yawns . . .

#60 2023-10-23 15:03:18

WDstudios

aluma wrote:

So far, mankind has not come up with anything more effective than a free market.
If you don't like Google, Facebook, etc., create an alternative.

Google is only as powerful as we allow it to be. I already don't use it for anything, so problem solved.

Facebook is a different story. FB benefits from a phenomenon that I call interopoly, a portmanteau of "interoperability" and "monopoly". It's a difficult concept to define but easy to describe; basically, it's any platform, language, standard, format, etc. where the advantages of using the same thing as everyone else outweigh the advantages of using whatever is actually best. We see examples in the VHS vs. betamax format war, the inability of DVORAK keyboards to displace QWERTY, and of course, Microsoft's domination of the operating system market. In Facebook's case, lots of better social networks exist, including Mewe and Diaspora... but I rarely use them because there's nobody to talk to! If I want to talk to anyone, I have to be where the people are, and that's Facebook.

It's one of those weird edge cases where free markets don't work quite as well as they usually do. When a particular interopoly isn't privately owned, then this isn't too bad. VHS, for example, was an "open format". But when an interopoly is owned by one company, and they use that power to extract unearned money from the economy while constantly lowering the quality of their product or service, as Facebook does, then it's time for the government to step in and start beating someone with a stick. In the specific case of Microsoft, their monopoly on Windows-compatible OSes is propped up by patent and copyright laws, so that problem can be solved by less government involvement in the economy.

golinux wrote:

Necro-posting is a bit silly. Especially since HoaS has long since left the building . . .

/me yawns . . .

It was on the first page of the subforum. I didn't look at the dates. *shrug*

Last edited by WDstudios (2023-10-23 15:37:25)

#61 2023-10-23 15:20:43

WDstudios

zapper wrote:

adobe flash was proprietary anyhow and the web wasn't flooded enough to where it couldn't be dealt with if I had to guess...

I miss Flash. So many great videos. So many great games. Browsers and Adobe should re-enable it for those of us who are willing to take the risks.

#62 2023-10-24 09:52:39

PedroReina
Website

WDstudios wrote:

I miss Flash.

Out there are quite a few alternatives to run legacy swf files on modern OS.

#63 2023-10-26 23:42:07

zapper

golinux wrote:

/me yawns . . .

I find it amusing, as I said elsewhere, its like being a ghostwriter.

As for the necro-posting, I find that even more funny due to how absurd doing so is.

Peace Be With us All!

#64 2023-10-27 08:51:24

Ron

WDstudios wrote:

I miss Flash. So many great videos. So many great games. Browsers and Adobe should re-enable it for those of us who are willing to take the risks.

There are browsers out there you can still use Flash on. Also, you would need to use the next-to-last version of Flash, as the last version is "self-destructing."

#65 2023-11-05 04:34:43

zapper

Yeah, I am aware the last flash is a self-destructing one.

The best option honestly, for using flash, would be to make an open source version of it and make it work without needing adobe's second to last version.

Maybe if someone made an open source replacement it could be vastly less vulnerable to security issues when used with the open source version.

Peace Be With us All!

#66 2024-02-29 08:05:49

LU344928

I won't bother with the Bloomberg link as it requires you to register but here's the gist of it:

Google parent company Alphabet lost over $70 billion in market value, with stock prices falling as much as 4.4 percent on Monday following the pause on Google Gemini’s AI image creator and posts surfaced of Gemini’s responses in the chat feature.

According to Bloomberg, Melius Research analyst Ben Reitzes warned in a research note that problems that have arisen with Gemini may fuel the perception that Google is β€œan unreliable source for AI,” as many companies try to launch their own AI platforms.

β€œWe have been arguing that Search behavior is about to change – with new AI-infused features,” said Reitzes. β€œThis β€˜once in a generation’ change by itself creates opportunities for competitors, but even more if a meaningful portion of users grow concerned about Google’s hallucinations and bias.”

Images generated by the feature included a female pope, a black George Washington, and other racially diverse recreations of historic figures.

Google is not your friend

#67 2024-03-02 02:34:20

zapper

@LU344928 so... a  good summary for me from that, is that... its not just google that is not your friend, but also bloomberg and other corporate nonsense that is similar or worse.

Then again, I kind of guessed that long time ago...

tongue

Peace Be With us All!

Board footer