The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-20 06:37:22

Lamia

Ports vs Pkgs

Can ai truly install apps or Pkgs via apt-build without any headache like one will do in FreeBSD with "make install clean" or portmaster?

I have tried using apt-build but it fails for some dependencies reason. I like Devuan but I can't keep up with the madness in Linux when it comes to installing (multiple) versions of the same lib/pkg on the same host, when I am not using a container - jail/chroot/etc

#2 2019-05-20 10:33:36

ToxicExMachina

Re: Ports vs Pkgs

Looks like you need source based distro.

#3 2019-05-20 13:00:36

Panopticon

You could try https://www.pkgsrc.org/

For linux = http://pkgsrc.joyent.com/install-on-linux/

Last edited by Panopticon (2019-05-20 13:01:36)

#4 2019-05-21 04:28:21

Lamia

Awesome. They are looking like what I need.
"pkg delete (-f) pkgname" is one of the dangerous commands.
I also like adjusting the default config in Pkgs.

#5 2019-05-27 03:33:07

Lamia

Thanks everyone.

I have always used "psearch portname" to search for ports/pkgs in FreeBSD. Is there any equivalent in Linux? I have been using synaptic manager for a GUI-version though.
I prefer the cmd's.

#6 2019-05-27 04:04:53

golinux
Administrator

You can search the Devuan repositories with https://pkginfo.devuan.org/ to see what's available.

#7 2019-05-27 09:16:12

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Lamia wrote:

I have always used "psearch portname" to search for ports/pkgs in FreeBSD. Is there any equivalent in Linux?

The aptitude(8) command has a tremendously powerful search function:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apti … 05.en.html

Fabricando fit faber

#8 2019-06-02 21:15:35

Ottavio

I'm thinking at one point of bulk-building pkgsrc on Devuan without dbus. At the moment I'm building packages on LMDE3 and it's a nightmare. Many pkgsrc packages have not been tested on Linux. Joyent's pkgsrc port on Centos reveals many broken packages:
https://us-east.manta.joyent.com/pkgsrc … eport.html

#9 2019-06-02 21:33:02

Dutch_Master

I'm beginning to get the impression you haven't (fully) grasped the purpose of package-based distro's yet. The whole purpose of packaging software is exactly that: preventing an installation nightmare and easy adding and removing software. Perhaps you should consider using source-based distro's like Linux-from-scratch, Slackware, or Gentoo/Funtoo.

#10 2019-06-08 07:32:16

Ottavio

Dutch_Master wrote:

I'm beginning to get the impression you haven't (fully) grasped the purpose of package-based distro's yet. The whole purpose of packaging software is exactly that: preventing an installation nightmare and easy adding and removing software. Perhaps you should consider using source-based distro's like Linux-from-scratch, Slackware, or Gentoo/Funtoo.

Who are you replying to?

#11 2019-06-08 09:17:57

Dutch_Master

You, but it would also apply to the OP. Unless one is a dev, on package-based distro's, like Devuan, building/installing software directly from source is kinda defeating the purpose of a package manager and if the reasoning behind installing from source is obtaining an enhanced performance from the hardware used, you'd be better off with a distro that facilitates this much better then Devuan. But that's just my opinion, feel free to ignore it wink

#12 2019-06-08 10:32:21

Ottavio

Dutch_Master wrote:

First off, you should quote properly and learn some manners. When someone comes with "I'm not sure if you understand", they run the risk of looking arrogant and dismissive.

On topic, you are mistaken. I've used, installed and managed Linux distributions since 2002. I am confident and fluent in pretty much the major package managers (dpkg, rpm, tarballs). I've used and installed NetBSD and FreeBSD. I'm a Linux user now but I have enjoyed the benefits of source-based systems like pkgsrc. You can have binaries on pkgsrc, too. There are binaries for NetBSD, Illumos, SmartOS and CentOs. Once you have the binaries, you can use 'pkgin' to install binaries and their dependencies; from there, it's pretty much like apt-get or yum, with the difference that if you're not happy with the build options, you can make your own build options in a much easier way than modern Linux distro can (the exception probably being Gentoo, but I haven't tried).

My current distro (LMDE3 - Cindy) is Debian based and there are no precompiled binaries for Debian. I install programs from both the apt repos and pkgsrc. I have built and installed a few packages from pkgsrc. Sometimes it's a painful experience, sometimes it's not, just like any other package management. I suggest you take a look in any Debian mailing list and see how many users experience dependency hell.

m. v. g.

#13 2019-06-08 11:36:02

Dutch_Master

Ottavio wrote:

First off, you should quote properly and learn some manners.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother to partake in these kinds of communities discussions roll  Oh forget it, I'm done with that cr@p sad

Board footer