The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#226 2018-04-28 02:31:35

MiyoLinux

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

This release...when it's released...will officially unofficially beneficially be coined as the "mlsmith0 version" of MiyoLinux... big_smile

Thanks beyond compare to him for his feedback.

Thank you Mike.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#227 2018-04-28 12:33:19

mlsmith

Oh stop, lol - I'm happy to help. I must say, this will be an excellent release!

#228 2018-04-28 16:15:12

golinux
Administrator

Welcome back mlsmith.  We have missed you!!

#229 2018-04-28 16:41:41

mlsmith

Aw, shucks - thanks golinux! I think I'll stick around much longer this time. Things are slowing down a bit in my personal life so I can spend more quality time with you fine people.

#230 2018-04-28 17:46:38

wdq
Website

Well after my long working time i managed to download your new iso what i can say niceeeee smoothhh good on memory it booted up in 98 mb and 95 after install whitch is quite amazing after swappiness changed to 10 lowered to 91 so perfect only problem , something wrong with the touchpad control i`v swiched ON then OFF then ON again and everything frozed , i could not figure why the command on the on off seemed good but maybe you know better if is something there that i did not see.

Hope this helps and really good release keep yp the good work !

Just a simple man!

#231 2018-04-28 18:27:09

mlsmith

wdq wrote:

something wrong with the touchpad control i`v swiched ON then OFF then ON again and everything frozed , i could not figure why the command on the on off seemed good but maybe you know better if is something there that i did not see.

Sorry you're running into that issue. Are you simply trying to turn the touchpad off? Trying running a command manually in a terminal to see if you get any error messages:

Turn off touchpad

synclient TouchpadOff=1

Turn on touchpad

synclient TouchpadOff=0

#232 2018-04-28 19:28:51

MiyoLinux

I'm a bit handicapped since I don't have a 64 bit laptop to test this on...sorry.

Still, I tried it on my desktop to see what might happen (if that did any good), but I didn't experience the freeze. I clicked back and forth between on and off several times. Then I tried it on my 32 bit laptop. I never experienced the freeze on it. So, I'm not sure what the issue could be.

There is one issue that I'm aware of, but I'm attributing it to the fact that Ascii still isn't considered "stable" at this point. When editing a configuration file (or any file), if you close the file first and then choose the Save option...periodically, there are times when the system will freeze. However, if you Save the document first and then close it, I haven't experienced a freeze at all. Not sure what that's about. tongue

If you do experience a freeze, open the right-click menu, and go to...

Openbox > Openbox > Restart Openbox

That has worked in "un-freezing" the system, and the document that I edited (which caused the freeze) was saved with the edits.

I'll try to see if I can figure anything out further.

Thanks for the feedback! Thanks Mke!

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#233 2018-04-29 12:24:09

wdq
Website

I have tried with the command resulting in no errors in the installed sistem, ---- >  found the problem some non-free drivers pfffff
Bloody Lenovo`s all the time i have to add a non-free driver either realtek either amd-graphics and on the other laptop firmware-atheros

Just a simple man!

#234 2018-05-02 03:23:25

MiyoLinux

I realize that this won't reach everyone...still, I want to say it.

For several days now, I've been trying to upload new releases to SourceForge; however, my internet hasn't been reliable, and it has lost the connection each time that I've tried to upload...wired and wireless. As a result, there have been "new releases" posted on Sourceforge that are only partial .isos. Though I've tried to delete them as soon as possible; unfortunately, there have been a few downloads of those partial .isos.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused anyone...

I'm still trying to get them uploaded.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-05-02 03:24:10)

#235 2018-05-02 11:43:51

fsmithred
Administrator

Upload trick:

Open up some port in your router (other than 80) and direct it to the local machine that's running a web server. Put your iso somwhere under /var/www/html so it can be downloaded from a remote location.
ssh into sourceforge
wget the iso from your webserver. If the connection breaks, repeat with wget -c and it will continue where it left off.
Close the port when you're done.

#236 2018-05-02 23:08:17

MiyoLinux

Thank you very much fsr...but I saw your post too late! Was finally able to get them uploaded with rsync.

So...

New MiyoLinux Releases are now available...32 bit and 64 bit versions

I'm not one for codenames, but I'm giving these releases the codename "the mlsmith0 edition". He helped me beyond compare in testing the 64 bit version, and I'm extremely grateful. Thank you Mike.

What's new...or different?

With these releases, I returned to my first goal of hopefully providing a modern-looking desktop (that's light on resources) for people with older hardware. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, on my test machines after installation, the 32 bit boots up at around 68 MBs of RAM, and the 64 bit boots up at around 102 MBs of RAM. Your mileage may vary. Of course, they can be used on newer hardware too. wink

These releases are Openbox with only the tint2 panel. I have several items disabled to help keep resource usage lower. The system is fully usable out of the box, but a user can enable items in the autostart file if they wish to have those items running for convenience...which will slightly increase resource usage with each item. The choice is up to the user to...and I'm gonna say it...make it your own. tongue

From the Release Notes that are included with the system, here's a quick (and condensed) rundown of what is in these releases...

This release is based on Devuan Ascii and is geared toward people using older computers.

1. Changed from PCManFM (and gvfs) to SpaceFM (and udevil).
2. Replaced LightDM with Slim.
3. Changed from Wicd/Wicd-GTK to Connman/CMST for network connections.
4. There is no network icon active in the system tray.
     It can be activated in the autostart file if a user prefers to have it.
5. Though a power manager is included, it's not activated.

OTHER NOTES OF INTEREST

6. Repository Notes.
7. Slimlock is now used to lock the screen instead of i3lock.
8. Special notes for users who may want to upgrade to Beowulf (when available) or Ceres.
9. Notes regarding "Printers" in the Control Center.
10. How to activate the firewall with UFW.
11. For users who may want the Update Notifier.

MISCELLANEOUS NOTES

Notes to help you more with the operation of MiyoLinux.

The new .isos are listed as...

MiyoLinux-Ascii-64bit-20180501.iso
MiyoLinux-Ascii-32bit-20180501.iso

They are available at...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyoli … e/Openbox/

Have fun, enjoy yourself, and...Make It Your Own! big_smile

#237 2018-05-04 22:05:39

Ron

Just installed the new release (along side of Jessie and Mint). I'm having a couple of problems. The first thing is that boot time is way slow compared to Jessie's boot time. The other problem (to me it is a problem) is the login screen. Unlike Jessie where my user name is already selected, and I only have to type in my password, Ascii requires me to type in my user name, and then my password. I know this may seem trivial, but before I tried Miyo I tried two other distros that behaved the same; not having to type in my user name for login was a very big reason I went with Miyo. (It seems superfluous to have to type it in when there's only one user account.)

Another problem I don't think has to do with Ascii is that I'm trying to run Pale Moon's browser installer script and when it asks me for my password I get an error message. It says make sure this user has sudo rights, or something like that. My password works for Synaptic so I don't know why it doesn't work for this.

#238 2018-05-04 22:56:11

siva

The "login screen" is either slim or lightdm, iirc.  you can use ps -ax | grep [slim, lightdm] if you aren't sure, read the manpages, and possibly do further reading/googling, to find out how to customize it to your needs, or if you'll want to use another desktop manager altogether.

Typically, it's considered good security practice to not provide a username directly on a lock or login screen.

Last edited by siva (2018-05-04 22:56:40)

#239 2018-05-04 23:54:26

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

Just installed the new release (along side of Jessie and Mint). I'm having a couple of problems. The first thing is that boot time is way slow compared to Jessie's boot time. The other problem (to me it is a problem) is the login screen. Unlike Jessie where my user name is already selected, and I only have to type in my password, Ascii requires me to type in my user name, and then my password. I know this may seem trivial, but before I tried Miyo I tried two other distros that behaved the same; not having to type in my user name for login was a very big reason I went with Miyo. (It seems superfluous to have to type it in when there's only one user account.)

Another problem I don't think has to do with Ascii is that I'm trying to run Pale Moon's browser installer script and when it asks me for my password I get an error message. It says make sure this user has sudo rights, or something like that. My password works for Synaptic so I don't know why it doesn't work for this.

Hi Ron! Thanks for the feedback.

Boot Time:

I'm not sure why your boot-time is slow. It's lightning fast for me...on both 64 and 32 bit versions...about 8 - 10 seconds from the time it leaves GRUB until the Login screen appears. How long is it taking for you?

Pale Moon:

Synaptic opens with your password, because I changed the command for its desktop file. Openbox is a bit of a different beast. Make sure to read the Miscellaneous Notes (in the Release Notes) about any other applications that you may install that require elevated privileges.

I don't use Pale Moon myself; however, during installation, did you put a check mark on the box to give you sudo rights? If so, did you also put a check mark on the box to use sudo as default? If you're not sure, let's make sure you have sudo rights.

1. Open your terminal, and enter the following command...

su

Hit Enter on your computer, and enter your root password.

2. Now, enter the following command in the terminal...

EDITOR=leafpad visudo

When the file opens, scroll down until you see the following line...

%sudo    ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

3. Immediately beneath that line, enter the following...(I will assume that your username is ron. If not replace ron with your actual username in all lower case letters.)

ron  ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

4. Save the file. Close it. Reboot.

The Login Screen...

With this release, I changed over to Slim to help with resource usage. With LightDM, I could set that so that it would automatically show the User's name on the Login Screen after installation. That's not possible (for me to do it) with Slim...or if it is possible, I don't know how to do it. tongue

HOWEVER, if you want your name to automatically show on the login screen...

1. Open your terminal, and enter the following command...

sudo leafpad /etc/slim.conf

When the file opens, scroll down until you see the following lines...they are close to the bottom of the file...

# default user, leave blank or remove this line
# for avoid pre-loading the username.
# default_user miyo

2. Remove the # from the third line, and replace miyo with your username (use all lower case letters). So those lines will now look like this...

# default user, leave blank or remove this line
# for avoid pre-loading the username.
default_user ron

3. Save the file, close it, then reboot.

Your name will then appear (in all lowercase letters) on the login screen...allowing you to just hit Enter there...then type in your password...and hit Enter again.

Hope all that helped and made sense.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-05-05 00:38:37)

#240 2018-05-05 00:46:37

Ron

Thanks MiyoLinux. Your fix for sudo worked. Also your login screen workaround also worked. But I would really like to just be prompted for my password. I noticed in slim.conf these 3 lines:

#default_user miyo
# Set to "yes" to enable this feature
#focus_password      no

If I change miyo to ron and change no to yes, would that get me what I want?

Also, I made a mistake saying boot time. I meant login time. From the time I enter my password and hit enter, it takes 27 seconds to log in. However, I notice that if I giggle the mouse while I'm waiting that that speeds up the login.

Also I should mention that I installed the Mate desktop and uninstalled openbox, all things Xfce, and the other thing I can't remember, I think it ends in "fm." I did the same thing in Jessie and had no problems.

#241 2018-05-05 01:11:00

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

Thanks MiyoLinux. Your fix for sudo worked. Also your login screen workaround also worked. But I would really like to just be prompted for my password. I noticed in slim.conf these 3 lines:

#default_user miyo
#focus_password      no

If I change miyo to ron and change no to yes, would that get me what I want?

Also, I made a mistake saying boot time. I meant login time. From the time I enter my password and hit enter, it takes 27 seconds to log in. However, I notice that if I giggle the mouse while I'm waiting that that speeds up the login.

Also I should mention that I installed the Mate desktop and uninstalled openbox, all things Xfce, and the other thing I can't remember, I think it ends in "fm." I did the same thing in Jessie and had no problems.

HOORAY!

Yes, change those lines so that they look like this...

default_user ron
focus_password      yes

Save the file, close it, then reboot. Then at the login screen, you'll only be prompted for your password. wink

I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss in understanding this part... tongue

Also I should mention that I installed the Mate desktop and uninstalled openbox, all things Xfce, and the other thing I can't remember, I think it ends in "fm." I did the same thing in Jessie and had no problems

We must remember that Ascii is still under development at this time, so I'm not sure what part that may have played in things not working after removing and adding things from different desktop environments 'n stuff. tongue

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-05-05 01:12:32)

#242 2018-05-05 01:49:00

Ron

MiyoLinux wrote:

default_user ron
focus_password      yes

Great. This worked! But still have the very long login time. Is there anything I can check or do about it to help?

#243 2018-05-05 02:11:12

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

MiyoLinux wrote:

default_user ron
focus_password      yes

Great. This worked! But still have the very long login time. Is there anything I can check or do about it to help?

HOORAY!

I'm at a bit of a loss Ron. Let's do this...

If I understand, you've changed from Openbox to Mate.

Now...I've never used Mate. I've tried it before, but never used it. I don't care for Mate personally tongue , so I'm at a loss on what to do with it. However...

PLEASE UNDERSTAND...This is only a guess.

Open the file manager as root (if I understand correctly, you got rid of SpaceFM???), and go to /usr/share/xsessions

When you open that folder, do you have something in there for both Openbox and Mate?

If you still have an Openbox item, it may be causing the delay (?)...but I'm not sure. If it is still there, and you're not going to use Openbox, then delete it so that only Mate is there. Then reboot.

#244 2018-05-05 02:22:16

Ron

Only a Mate file is in there. Any other ideas?

#245 2018-05-05 02:45:58

MiyoLinux

I was hoping that was the problem... tongue

LOLOLOLOL!!!

Okay, I'm nearing the end of my knowledge. I'm seriously wondering how much the deletion of Openbox and the change to Mate under the "still being developed Ascii" is influencing this; however, let's try one more thing...

1. Open the terminal, and enter...

sudo leafpad /etc/slim.conf

When the file opens, find the lines that read as...

# Session message. Prepended to the session name when pressing F1
# session_msg         Session: 

2. Remove the # from the second line, so that it now reads as...

# Session message. Prepended to the session name when pressing F1
session_msg         Session: 

3. Save the file, close it, and reboot.

4. Not sure if this will work going straight to the password screen of Slim, but when the login screen appears, hit the F1 key on your computer. Does something appear saying something similar to Session: Mate   ???

If not, hit F1 until it does. When Mate appears, then log in.

I'm also wondering if installing LightDM might be a possible fix for this, but I don't know. I'm at the end of my rope on it.

#246 2018-05-05 02:58:36

golinux
Administrator

Keeping in mind that slim and lightdm require different backends iirc.

#247 2018-05-05 03:45:07

Ron

Thanks for the help so far.

MiyoLinux wrote:
Okay, I'm nearing the end of my knowledge. I'm seriously wondering how much the deletion of Openbox and the change to Mate under the "still being developed Ascii" is influencing this; however, let's try one more thing...

That didn't work. What was that supposed do? Before I made this edit I was able to press F1  and get "Session: Mate." (After the edit I still had to press F1 to get it.)

Another thing I should mention. I notice that about maybe 1 out of 6 times it will login very quickly.

golinux wrote:

So if I wanted to switch to lightdm, does that mean that I would need to install something else along with it?

Last edited by Ron (2018-05-05 03:46:31)

#248 2018-05-05 04:12:18

golinux
Administrator

Ron wrote:

golinux wrote:

So if I wanted to switch to lightdm, does that mean that I would need to install something else along with it?

This touches on the kind of issues that you are having:
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=8670#p8670
as does this email:
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/2 … 30.en.html

Unfortunately, I am bewildered with which packages are needed for what so you'll have to figure it out on your own (or maybe fsmithred will stop by).

#249 2018-05-05 09:19:49

devuser

Ron wrote:

I meant login time. From the time I enter my password and hit enter, it takes 27 seconds to log in.

Have you used Mate before on the same hardware and what kind of hardware are you using? 27 seconds seems excessive but if you are using (much) older hardware it might be just that Mate is way more heavyweight compared to openbox (and likely most other plain window managers). As Miyo i haven't used Mate either but i read that they are updating to GTK3 so it seems Mate is very much in active development and even if it used to start faster things might have changed a bit. Still if it used to start in 5 seconds it suddenly taking 27 doesn't seem exactly right. Also can't explain the mouse weirdness. Just a random guess.

#250 2018-05-05 11:50:14

MiyoLinux

Okay...

Ron, I did a test install on a separate partition.

Not being familiar with Mate, I opened Synaptic to see what was available to give me the Mate desktop environment. I chose to install...

mate-desktop-environment

That pulled in everything Mate (as far as I could/can tell).

I then removed Openbox. (I didn't remove SpaceFM, Xfce stuff, or related Openbox stuff for this test)

I rebooted, and from login until reaching the desktop took about 6 - 8 seconds. Logged out and rebooted several times. I experienced no delays as you described from the time I logged in until reaching the desktop.

What did you install to give yourself the Mate desktop?

By the way, I bow to you for truly putting the "Miyo" in MiyoLinux! big_smile

Board footer