The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-14 23:41:58

ghaverla

Getting to know you

I can't draw to save my life.  I guess I have aphantasia, which would lean that way (I have no "mind's eye").  My Mom has a photographic memory, all the reels are running a little slowly now.  I'm working on that.

I absolutely _HATE_ systemd!  I think Lennart should be drawn and quartered, and all his software projects burned.  But I am not running things, and that (either drawing and quartering, or getting rid of software he has authored) doesn't seem likely to happen.

I was born to be a nerd.  Other people have a life, I spend all my time studying and working.  Just one of the many joys of the high functioning autistic.

At one time, I was sort of a president of a LUG.  I've spent many hours answering questions on Linux since 1.2.13.  I sure hope nobody is giving you stick because you are female.  There is absolutely nothing about any of this that involves the Y chromosome.

Have a great day!

#2 2017-12-15 00:23:45

golinux
Administrator

Re: Getting to know you

ghaverla wrote:

I sure hope nobody is giving you stick because you are female.

Good grief no!  The devs here don't think in terms of chromosome hierarchy.

#3 2017-12-15 03:53:44

ghaverla

That's wonderful to hear (well, read)!

I've spent too much time in gyms, rehabbing soccer injuries.  I got to be pretty good at weightlifting.  I ran across a "girl" a few years younger than me (I was probably 45 at the time, she might have been 35).  She was a farm girl (not surprising up here).  We talked about things, and picking rocks came up.  I think this girl could probably deadlift about as much as I could.  And she wasn't even on the East German weightlifting team.

Physical strength tends to be a place where this dumb hierarchy plays out, but it isn't even guaranteed there.  My Mom used to help me carry 5/8 inch fire rated drywall into the basement when we finished her basement.  She was mid 70's at that point.  She is an avid golfer, and can put the ball on the green of a par 3, from the men's tees (she is now 85).

Best of luck in whatever you do!

#4 2017-12-15 08:22:55

fungus
Website

Back in the day there was a separation between fake devs and those than can move a PDP11 up the steps!

Harrr haarr haaarr haaar!!!!!

#5 2017-12-15 09:18:18

fungus
Website

Seriously, the only people who are not nerds are those that admit they are.
The rest of us are problematic.

#6 2017-12-15 23:37:06

ghaverla

I've used a PDP11, and some K11.  I never tried to lift it, so I don't know how heavy it is.  The K11 were small.

I was looking at packaging from what I knew of Debian and package webfiles.  So you can get a tarball, a patch and a description.

But to download a fork from github, you don't have a tarball.  Github does allow people to download a ZIP, and maybe I could write the magic in Perl to convert the ZIP to a tarball.

But surely someone has written tools to just turn a Git tree into a deb?  Yes, several of them.  I tried one (a bash script), it failed.  Debian has 3 (more?) tools I think.  So, I am trying things.

Lars Wizernius (apologies if I mangled your name) has been working on something called Baserock.  The writeup made sense, trying to download/install seems to have a whole pile of assumptions that aren't going to work for me.  The device holding most of my system is a NVMe M.2 "disk", and while I have sda, sdb, sdc, sdd SATA disks, they are largely bundled together as a RAID10 Btrfs device.

I've been using OpenWRT for a router, but I hate GUI to manage routers, so I went ImageBuilder.  I suspect for this Baserock.org thing, the best thing may just be to installed the source tree and build the various images after compiling the system.

Or maybe someone on Devuan has a better way?

I did install some of the Debian git stuff, and pbuilder wanted some URL.  So I just gave it the HTTP URL from my apt.sources.  I haven't tried any pbuilder related yet, so I've no idea if that worked.

This has to be the wrong place place to ask this stuff, but the end result is trying to get something vaguely lm-sensors running on this particular set of hardware.  If I can build on that to do other stuff for Devuan, that would be wonderful.

#7 2017-12-15 23:40:53

golinux
Administrator

Have you seen this? https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=549

Since we're back on topic, I guess I'll move the last two posts back to the original thread if there are no objections.

#8 2017-12-16 23:49:18

ghaverla

I suppose I have seen it, since I have a comment in that thread.  :-)  But, it looks like guayadeque (or however it is spelled) is being dropped by Debian, and I got busy and never finished things.

Having read a bunch of things in the Debian world about building packages, d1h makes a little more sense.  It still looks like there are a lot of fidlly little details to catch the newbie at.

But, what I am working with is not strictly speaking, lm-sensors.  It is a fork of lm-sensors (and it isn't my fork).  I have a source tree from the Devuan package of lm-sensors, and I have a source tree of the git fork.  So I could make a unified diff (or other variation on diff) between the two.

I am NOT an expert at git.

There seem to be many tools which will take an upstream tarball and start a git archive.  I guess you then want to start a branch (NAME-fork ?, where NAME, is the name of the person who forked lm-sensors).  You then apply the diff (using patch) to this new git controlled source tree, producing your modified source files.  The apt-get source command produces a Devuan source tree, which could be built.  It has a debian/ subdirectory with things like a rules file.

I don't believe it produces a dsc file (but if one visits the Debian package webpage, you can get the tarball, the diff and the dsc file).  I have a copy of the Debian (not Devuan) dsc file, and it is a signed ASCII file with key information in it.

I was just looking into whether there is a tool to produce this dsc file, as it appears to me that git-buildpackage needs the dsc file to do its magic (in a cow).  I can believe that if I was a Devuan developer/maintainer/person who makes the coffee, I probably already have an account at the Devuan git (I don't) and probably has set up keys with gpg (it was a couple of years ago I last made keys, and someone monitoring the MIT keyserver(?) noticed my key was about to expire a couple of weeks ago).

I am hoping that these tools will allow me to make an unsigned package for my own use.  I can then install it and see if it works.

If it works, then I think I could/should/might look into the get an account on the Devuan git.

Living in an agricultural area (I'm on 40 acres), cows are typically things like black or red angus.  I am personally looking at Dexter, should I get a few cows.  Cows don't build anything, they just leave these paddys all over the place.  I think the complexity in this could make someone chicken.  And once you start generating errors to really learn about packaging, you might duck when typing command lines, or go horse yelling at the computer for answers to why the errors?  Or is that rye the errors?  :-)

And yes, I will add experimental to my sources.list and install d1h.

Moooo!  (That's COW for have a great day!)

#9 2017-12-17 00:10:22

ghaverla

Making a trivial change to sources.list, I couldn't download d1h, so I revisited the forum (on another computer, which is NOT on the switch everything else is), I had to make a slightly different entry, and d1h downloaded.

I think that d1h (and there are probably other packages which make similar assumptions) should use DEVUANEMAIL and DEVUANFULLNAME environment variables (if present), and if not then use DEBEMAIL and DEBFULLNAME.   Because a person might want a different email address for devuan related things, as compared to debian related.

But, as I haven't yet looked in the d1h documentation or ..., maybe this change has already been made?

#10 2017-12-17 06:56:03

fungus
Website

You should start new topics on appropriate sections for technical matters so other people can locate questions and answers easier as a reference.  If you do a search for D1h chances are that on an off-topic with getting to know you as a title there will not be any relevant information.

Otherwise poor golinux has to go around all day cutting and pasting posts to threads.

Welcome to dev1

#11 2017-12-17 07:12:40

golinux
Administrator

fungus wrote:

You should start new topics on appropriate sections for technical matters so other people can locate questions and answers easier as a reference.  If you do a search for D1h chances are that on an off-topic with getting to know you as a title there will not be any relevant information.

Otherwise poor golinux has to go around all day cutting and pasting posts to threads.

This is true.  I've been debating what to do with the ramblings in this topic . . . I really don't have time to sort this mess.  I will leave it to the individuals in this thread to self-moderate by moving technical content to more appropriate topics and then deleting the posts here.

#12 2018-02-01 02:09:45

γραφω λογον

Hi,

I absolutely hate systemd but, sadly,  lack the technical knowledge or social skills to run Devuan. I also like the social contract which states, quite simply and objectively, why the goals of this project do not fit my personal needs.

I wish you all well, certainly can understand burn-out and other interpersonal issues I may or may not bumble across, and will continue to lurk, check in, think about you, and wish you well as I continue my journey to learn as much as I can as well as I can without hurting other people.

This isn't a flounce because I'm not going anywhere, I'm just not comfortable asking questions and therefore am eventually going to have to take my Devuan installs offline or reclaim the drives and install something else.

It isn't a judgement or a suggestion or a complaint either. I have no complaints. I'm grateful for you, sad for any pain or inconvenience I might have accidentally caused you, and so glad I got to enjoy Devuan for as long as I did.

If I am right about systemd, I will eventually be grateful that i DON'T know how to avoid using it because I will darned well figure out how to never use the internet and possibly even my beloved little pre-2008 Thinkpads ever again no matter how big of a fool I have to make of myself.

This wasn't the post I wanted to make when I opened my account but it is the post I need to make now. It's not you, it's me; we can't go on this way any longer but can we still be friends?

golinux, you can just go ahead and "ban" me if you want and it's no big deal at all. Maybe I'll see you around the internet or maybe I already know you in a more appropriate venue for this kind of "message in a bottle" drivel already.

smile

My English is still a work in progress; no offense was intended.

#13 2018-02-01 02:26:36

MiyoLinux

γραφω λογον,

I salute you! Thank you for all that you did...your support of MiyoLinux was more than I could have hoped for. I will see you around elsewhere...whether openly or in the void. Take care my friend. smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#14 2018-02-01 02:37:22

golinux
Administrator

γραφω λογον wrote:

golinux, you can just go ahead and "ban" me if you want and it's no big deal at all.

Why on earth would I do that?  I hope that your continuing Linux adventures are more successful than it seems your encounter with Devuan was.  I guess we'll never know what your issues/problems were that might make you decide to remove it and reclaim your HDD . . .

#15 2018-02-01 08:40:31

cynwulf

Now that's what I call getting one's knickers in a twist...

#16 2018-02-01 16:23:45

golinux
Administrator

Everyone is entitled to their meltdowns and confusion as long as they take responsibility instead of imagining that it's someone else's fault.

#17 2018-02-01 17:58:11

γραφω λογον

golinux, that's exactly why Devuan isn't the right distro for me. I like cynwulf. I've already wasted enough of my own time finding out the valid reasons he has for being very upset by what I intended to be a polite thank you note and he has wasted enough of his own time getting upset over "obvious trolls".

I don't want to be one of the "bad guys" on the internet any more. I want to get excited about Miyo, feel good about reclaiming a drive, spend my time learning how to do what I want to do, and stop messing up your forum (and, I am grateful to all of you for pointing this out to me) every other flippin' peer support forum on the internet that I have ever loved like family.

I'm a bad guy. I'm a troll. I'm a drama queen/king/unicorn/brony/pervert. I can accept that now and do something about it. I wanted to express my appreciation to you for that and I blew it yet again.

Does this make any sense?

I also unintentionally lied to you. I promised to be the succinct but detached and occaisional poster who wrote a single word.

I am, for whatever reasons that are not your faults, unable to be who I want to be at the present time.

Please accept my sincere apology for my lack of social and language skills, cynwulf, and can we please both just killfile and move on? I don't need to be your friend and I don't want to be your enemy or yet another nuisance you have to deal with.

Miyo, we can continue this discussion on social media where it belongs. I have no idea which one of my "new friends" in the "acquaintance" aspect of which one of my pods you are, but you obviously do and that's good enough for me. smile

The username had nothing to do with modern Greece or politics at all. I just like the classics and I'm fascinated by languages in general but fluent in absolutely none.

Onward and upward!!! Veni, vici, MIYO!!!!!!!!!!

(fanboi coming soon to an appropriate social media fictionalized funny wannabe standup comedy laughing-at-myself-and-the-world character near you.)

#18 2018-02-01 21:14:43

cynwulf

Oh I'm not upset.  You're just getting your knickers in a twist over some free OS and a Linux forum.

Last edited by cynwulf (2018-02-01 21:16:55)

#19 2018-02-01 21:20:09

γραφω λογον

cynwulf wrote:

Oh I'm not upset.  You're just getting your knickers in a twist over some free OS and a Linux forum.

@cynwulf  smile

Yup. <s>Also the sky is blue.</s>

Edited to delete irrelevant tmi

Last edited by γραφω λογον (2018-02-01 21:23:50)

#20 2018-02-01 21:59:20

sgage

γραφω λογον wrote:
cynwulf wrote:

@cynwulf  smile

Yup. <s>Also the sky is blue.</s>

Edited to delete irrelevant tmi

I have read your postings in this thread, and I still don't have any idea what your problem with Devuan actually is, or why you're posting in this thread. Can you enlighten me? It's quite possible that I missed something.

#21 2018-02-01 22:29:13

sgage

golinux wrote:

Everyone is entitled to their meltdowns and confusion as long as they take responsibility instead of imagining that it's someone else's fault.

γραφω λογον said "I also like the social contract which states, quite simply and objectively, why the goals of this project do not fit my personal needs." That seems to be a bit self-contradictory, but anyway I'd like to know where I can find the social contract. I poked around a bit, and can't seem to find it...

Last edited by sgage (2018-02-01 22:37:11)

#22 2018-02-01 23:11:26

golinux
Administrator

sgage wrote:
golinux wrote:

γραφω λογον said "I also like the social contract which states, quite simply and objectively, why the goals of this project do not fit my personal needs." That seems to be a bit self-contradictory, but anyway I'd like to know where I can find the social contract. I poked around a bit, and can't seem to find it...

I was also confused by that.   Debian has a social contract.   Devuan has the (almost) no Code of Conduct.  Is the poster referring to the Debian or the Devuan document.  And what in whichever document does not fit their "personal needs"?

#23 2018-02-01 23:25:59

sgage

golinux wrote:
sgage wrote:
golinux wrote:

I was also confused by that.   Debian has a social contract.   Devuan has the (almost) no Code of Conduct.  Is the poster referring to the Debian or the Devuan document.  And what in whichever document does not fit their "personal needs"?

I'm still trying to figure out why they even posted in this thread. it seemed to come out of nowhere, hinting at some ill-defined grievances. Very cryptic and weird to me - I'm just a simple follower of Devuan. For that matter, the OP was a bit confusing to me, but then, I am easily confused. Whatever - I wish everyone peace!

#24 2018-02-02 00:07:05

greenjeans
Website

Hi, i'm here because I was told there would be pudding? smile

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#25 2018-02-02 00:21:45

sgage

greenjeans wrote:

Hi, i'm here because I was told there would be pudding? smile

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?! ;-)  (apologies to Pink Floyd)

Last edited by sgage (2018-02-02 02:22:37)

Board footer