The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-07 17:06:57

Altoid

Forum timeout while logged in

Hello:

When answering a post, whether it is long or needs a longish reply (+taking the time to edit/crop/spell appropiately or maybe look up something like the proper spelling of a difficult word) more than once I find that when I hit 'preview' I have been logged out.

ie: some system set timeout has lapsed, no idea how long it is.

In all these years at Dev1 I have 'sort of' become used to it and just log into Dev1 in another tab and go back to the original one.
Hitting 'preview' again in the original tab will make the browser find the Dev1 cookie and I can keep go ahead and edit or post.

But it does not always work as intended and ended up losing finished posts only to have to write them up all over again.
eg: again this morning ...  8^°

Fortunately, my short term memory still functions properly, but still, not all is always remembered. 8^°

I don't know how long that timeout is but for how I post ie: trying to be concise, clear, tidy and on an easy to look at page, it ends up being short.
Others may opine that it is a workflow problem that could be solved using an external editor to write a draft.

But no, it is not a workflow problem: I care about how and what I write and go over my text a few times before I post it.
I consider not posting in haste or 'off the cuff' a matter of respect to my fellow Dev1 members

I also consider that using an external editor would totally defeat the whole idea of using the browser as an editor to post on a site like Dev1.   

Some sites automatically save a draft for a few hours/days/permanently when something like this happens.
For whatever motive or if the the poster's system/connection goes down.

So ...
I was wondering if it would it be possible for the Dev1 admins to consider extending that timeout to maybe 50% longer?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

A.

#2 2024-03-07 17:27:29

rolfie

Re: Forum timeout while logged in

I am not aware of any timeout related to the login time on the forum. I can stay logged in as long as I like. Using FF ESR latest version on Daedalus.

Sometimes I use gedit or geany to prepare a longer post. But mainly because I have to leave the topic alone for a while, and don't want to leave the browser open or shut down the PC.

Maybe your problem is related to a forced IP change of your internet provider?

#3 2024-03-07 19:25:06

Altoid

Hello:

rolfie wrote:

... not aware of any timeout related to the login time ...
... stay logged in as long as I like.

I see.

rolfie wrote:

... FF ESR latest version on Daedalus.

FF 115.8.0esr (64-bit) on Devuan Beowulf here.

rolfie wrote:

... related to a forced IP change of your internet provider?

Don't think so.

My friendly local telco providing me with a landline since 1986 along with a pricey albeit low quality ADSL for the past five years decided manu militari to make good on their advertised improvements and deactivated it. With no previous notice.

I am now a 2.0 USB WiFi dongle, legitimately loaned by a neighbour two doors down the hallway so it is not that, the IP is always 192.168.1.29 and an old tin can antenna makes for a very decent 85/90% signal. A good temporary arrangement till the telco AHS deign themselves to come and see about a installing fibre connection.

But this also happened when my ADSL was working through a Pi-hole/Unbound rig running on a Chimaera VM inside my box, the IP also always 192.168.1.2 and the DNS 192.168.1.5. Worked quite well.

I think that the login credential is on a Dev1 cookie and probably has an expiration date.
eg: at this moment I have two Dev1 cookies in my browser but they show no expiration time/date which I recall could be seen in older browsers (long time ago).

Maybe if I change the setting from Allow for Session to Allow this will stop happening?
I always set any and all browsers I use to clear all history on shutdown.

Thanks for your input.

Best,

A.

Last edited by Altoid (2024-03-07 20:00:01)

#4 2024-03-07 20:01:17

rolfie

Tried to look at my 2 dev1galaxy cookies, no luck. I need to find a tool that allows to read the contents of the cookie. Or is there a tool within FF that allows to read the contents?

#5 2024-03-07 20:27:25

Altoid

Hello:

rolfie wrote:

... look at my 2 dev1galaxy cookies, no luck.
... tool that allows to read the contents ...

Same here.

rolfie wrote:

... is there a tool within FF that allows to read the contents?

I don't think so, at least I have not found it.

If my memory serves me right (?) a long time ago, opening the settings page in a browser (cannot recall which one) you could see some cookie properties, one of them being their expiration date. I recall having seen cookies with a years' long expiration date. (!)

Have not tried it, but see here.
Bear in mind that it is from 5 years ago so I don't know if it still applies.

Best,

A.

#6 2024-03-07 20:43:36

aluma

20.jpg
https://developer.chrome.com/docs/devto … n/cookies/

Same for FF
29.jpg

Last edited by aluma (2024-03-08 08:39:09)

#7 Yesterday 21:20:39

stultumanto

It must be a Firefox issue then, as I'm having the same problem. I looked at the cookies in the Storage Inspector, but the "Expiration / Max-Age" is just set to "Session". There didn't seem to be any way to actually change the session length.

Board footer