The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#76 Yesterday 10:15:38

mirrortokyo

Re: merged /usr

It's helpful to know what is different in your dmesg output compared with booting before usrmerge.

I had enough "fun" with incrementally adding symbolic links from old locations within /bin /lib /sbin to where the new locations in /usr/bin /usr/lib and /usr/sbin as individula packages changed the location of their files and finally installing the usrmerge package after I had manually done all the work.

Unfortunately when there are a lot of changes in one hit, it is difficult to identify the specific changes/errors that broke things.

#77 Yesterday 14:39:15

TheLancashireman

I can't get the dmesg output for the last known good case, but I can extract the information from syslog. It'll take a while though.

In the cases where the kernel doesn't find the root fs there's no dmesg and no log, of course.

I just tried transplanting the kernel files (config-, initrd.img-, System.map- and vmlinuz-6.5.0-4-amd) from my laptop. Also ceres, but not updated for a while. I never had 6.5.0-4 on my desktop so I wouldn't expect it to work properly (missing modules) but in fact it works almost as well as the setup with the forced modules in the initrd. With that in mind, I can switch back to a boot set from an earlier kernel (probably 6.1.xxx). I still have those kernels installed, but all the initrd files in /boot have been polluted by mkinitramfs. Fortunately I made a backup before I started fiddling :-)

One more "interesting" fact: my work laptop runs debian sid/unstable. A couple of updates ago it appeared to stop booting at the point where the text display switches from 80x25 to high-res. In fact, it didn't stop booting - it was the console that didn't work. An older kernel worked fine, so I uninstalled the generic kernel package and nailed the kernel version at 6.1.27-1. Now that I look at the fs more closely, it has been usrmerged - /bin, /sbin etc. are symlinks. So maybe my trouble there was an early indication of usrmerge trouble. I'm leaving the company at the end of March, so I won't do any more updates in case they break something.

Last edited by TheLancashireman (Yesterday 15:27:51)

#78 Yesterday 16:21:29

TheLancashireman

First inkling of a problem:  https://bugs.devuan.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=828

That was before usrmerge was forced. Some scripts had hard-coded paths to /bin and /sbin, but the programs they use moved to /usr/bin and /usr/sbin

But the problem of hard-coded paths should go away after usrmerge, shouldn't it?

Last edited by TheLancashireman (Yesterday 16:47:42)

#79 Yesterday 17:05:03

golinux
Administrator

That depends on how and when the merge is activated as well as the non-standard choices made by the user prior to the merge. Please see this usrmerge announcement posted a few days ago.

#80 Yesterday 19:14:24

TheLancashireman

The non-standard choices that I made earlier were:
* adding modprobe, lsmod & co as symlinks to kmod
* editing some shellscripts to add /usr/bin and /usr/sbin to the hard coded paths at the top

Anyway, FWIW the logs are here: https://experimental.thelancashireman.org/devuan-logs/
There's a description file (info.txt)

#81 Yesterday 20:37:12

TheLancashireman

I've found a solution or a workaround: downgraded to eudev_3.2.12-4+deb11u1_amd64.deb and libeudev1_3.2.12-4+deb11u1_amd64.deb
Removed my hacked list of modules from /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and ran update-initramfs -u

Now my system boots kernel 6.6.15 correctly. Keyboard and mouse both working. At some point I should tidy up /boot again and regenerate all the initrd.img files

So it might not be related to usrmerge after all.

What now? Should I report a bug against eudev?

Last edited by TheLancashireman (Yesterday 20:44:28)

Board footer