The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2023-11-29 19:18:53

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: The insanity continues... BSOD coming to a systemd near you?

There's also a devuan-bugs mailing list, but it's not archived like some of the others.

If someone wants to see the latest bug reports without joining a mail list, you can see the archived messages at
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/list/devuan-dev.en.html

#27 2023-11-30 21:16:31

REXTON

Admin Edit: Personal attacks are not allowed on this forum. Also full quoting a previous post is more than discouraged.

Last edited by fsmithred (2023-12-01 00:55:34)

#28 2023-11-30 22:51:13

hunter0one

It's hard to believe this was a real thing when I first heard of it several weeks ago.

#29 2023-12-02 02:34:30

zapper

Now I am curious what REXTON said that was so vile...

very strange.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#30 2023-12-02 09:40:20

steve_v

Looks like I made on the 'tube, LOL. Needless to say, he largely misses the point. roll
I.e. in what way this fullscreen QR code with "the last error message" (i.e. 99% of the time not the whole story) is better than a kernel panic and/or stack trace, both of which we already have, beyond being supposedly "more accessible" for non technical users. (AKA the aforementioned dumbing-down of interfaces).

Last edited by steve_v (2023-12-02 09:51:31)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#31 2023-12-02 10:52:51

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

Brodie swings his arms/hands around so much while he's talking...I'd be a bit hesitant to be in a one-on-one conversation with him. That dude would slap the sh*t out of me...

tongue

#32 2023-12-02 11:34:35

steve_v

TBH I generally find his channel to be more overexcited SNS clickbait than I'll tolerate, but this is the first time I've managed to trigger the "desktop linux" fanbois hard enough to get a post read on youtube... At least there's plenty of "discussion" in the comments, so win? I guess? tongue

Colour of the error screen? Who cares.
That it's clearly copied from Windows? Cringe and worth a laugh, but ultimately irrelevant.
Replacing a full page (or more, while console scrollback was still a thing) of information with "the last error" and a QR code? Dumb. Just dumb. Shall we add a sad face emoticon as well?
Overlaying the GUI or dropping to a console? Sure, now do it while using the full screen for debug output and without the QR code nonsense.
Systemd contributors needing an explanation of "archaic" VT code and text interfaces before X/Wayland "takes over"... Deeply concerning. This is an init system and low-level utilities we're talking about here, anyone hacking on it should be well familiar with those things.

Last edited by steve_v (2023-12-02 11:47:04)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#33 2023-12-02 12:59:00

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

OFF TOPIC: Sorry...I wish I could sound wise and add something of interest to the topic. However...

...this is a personal preference; I stopped watching him (Brodie Clobbers-some...I mean Brodie Robertson) when he started putting goofy faces on his thumbnails. I could put up with the thought of his arm/hand movements slapping me in the face if I were talking to him, but those goofy faces??? No thank you.

cough cough...Distro Boob...I mean Distro Tube.

cough cough...Chris Titus Toes...I mean Chris Titus Tech.

Et al...

tongue

Last edited by The-Amnesiac-Philosopher (2023-12-02 14:46:56)

#34 2023-12-02 22:09:43

Esleep

Using computers is like being in a relationship with someone else

When we are very young, we feel very attached emotionally and are sensitive to

what we appreciate are interactions that are interdependent.

Then when we mature emotionally and intellectually, we can possibly find out

that instead of building relationships based on interdependency we can be

independent of each other, and thereby fostering a more healthy relationship

regardless of changes outside of our control in reality.

#35 2023-12-02 22:52:12

zapper

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher wrote:

OFF TOPIC: S
cough cough...Distro Boob...I mean Distro Tube.

cough cough...Chris Titus Toes...I mean Chris Titus Tech.

Et al...

tongue

DISTROBOOB! LOL! That is so awful, but this isn't the joke thread. tongue

Although, that would be more relevant for the dude who has the channels mentaloutlaw and lukesmith on youtube.

If you want to find someone who is trustworthy for linux info, never trust a far right nutcase like him.

big_smile

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#36 2023-12-03 02:11:14

steve_v

zapper wrote:

the channels mentaloutlaw and lukesmith on youtube.

If you want to find someone who is trustworthy for linux info, never trust a far right nutcase like him.

Except Luke actually includes technical, educational content in some of his videos, where the aforementioned Brodie has silly faces, hype, and clickbait.
I'll take a 'tuber with intense (but ultimately irrelevant) political leanings who knows what they're talking about over a politically "correct" one who doesn't any day of the week.

Why you 'muricans think your political infighting is everyone else's problem (and feel the need to inject it into Every. Single. Discussion.) I will never understand. I watch videos to learn something, not get outraged about how left/right/upside-down the presenter is.
This obsession with putting people in little "political affiliation" boxes and discarding information from outgroups is extremely tiring, and I'll have no part of it.

Esleep wrote:

Using computers is like being in a relationship with someone else[snip]

Please, smash that ChatGPT prompt some more, we all love irrelevant nonsense. roll

Last edited by steve_v (2023-12-03 02:20:39)

#37 2023-12-03 04:26:03

UnixMan1230

golinux wrote:

Anyone seriously interested in engaging with Devuan should monitor those sources. It is that simple.

Don't forget http://deb.devuan.org/bannedpackages.txt , so people have a sense of what packages might be worth making compatibility packages/patches for

"Less is only more when it's what you're looking for" -Unknown

#38 2023-12-03 05:02:13

zapper

I watch videos to learn something, not get outraged about how left/right/upside-down the presenter is.
This obsession with putting people in little "political affiliation" boxes and discarding information from outgroups is extremely tiring, and I'll have no part of it.

I mostly get annoyed by him because he uses made up concepts like BASED which means absolutely nothing of value and his stupid pictures that mean nothing of value as well.

But that being said,

I am at least glad to hear he does something of value.

Peace Be With us All!

#39 2023-12-03 05:22:22

aluma

steve_v wrote:
Esleep wrote:

Using computers is like being in a relationship with someone else[snip]

Please, smash that ChatGPT prompt some more, we all love irrelevant nonsense. roll

Yeah, ChatGPT, but there is some truth in that.

Once upon a time I diligently updated, configured, compiled, then I realized that instead of using the computer for its intended purpose, running application programs, I was doing its maintenance.

He gave up this occupation and has since looked after himself and I work for him.
Sometimes, reading forums, I want to tell my colleagues, decide for yourself-“Are you for the computer or is it for you?” smile

#40 2023-12-03 05:32:11

steve_v

aluma wrote:

“Are you for the computer or is it for you?”

Or, "Is this a hobby or a tool?". Either is a completly reasonable approach, and there are far worse things one could spend free time on than tinkering.
Most of my computers are workhorses, others are, well, more like pets. Same goes for my vehicles TBH, and electronic test equipment... tongue

Last edited by steve_v (2023-12-03 05:34:53)

#41 2023-12-03 05:35:53

golinux
Administrator

UnixMan1230 wrote:

Don't forget http://deb.devuan.org/bannedpackages.txt , so people have a sense of what packages might be worth making compatibility packages/patches for

I have always assumed that it was not possible to fork those banned packages for technical dependency reasons . . .

#42 2023-12-03 07:25:03

soren

steve_v wrote:
zapper wrote:

the channels mentaloutlaw and lukesmith on youtube.

Except Luke actually includes technical, educational content in some of his videos, where the aforementioned Brodie has silly faces, hype, and clickbait.
I'll take a 'tuber with intense (but ultimately irrelevant) political leanings who knows what they're talking about over a politically "correct" one who doesn't any day of the week.

Ive learnt quite a bit from Luke, only just found out about mental outlaw. Im not aware of there political leanings nor do i care either.
Another tuber ive learnt quite a bit from is Gavin Freeborn, really good no nonsense content.
https://www.youtube.com/@GavinFreeborn

#43 2023-12-03 16:25:36

golinux
Administrator

To authoritatively answer UnixMan1230's question above:

<golinux> Question about the "banned packages list". Are they banned because there are insurmountable entanglements and they CAN'T be forked or because they aren't worth the effort.
<golinux> IOW is the metric technical or judgmental . . .
<LeePen> golinux: which banned list are you asking about?
<golinux> LeePen: https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/bannedpackages.txt
<golinux> I didn't know that there was more than one list . . .
<LeePen> The actual banned list is just 'systemd, systemd-sysv, file-rc, reportbug-ng'
<LeePen> The list that you refer to is produced by amprolla as it recursively excludes anything else that has those as a dependency.
<LeePen> Or as a result of the source being forked already.
<LeePen> The item in [] after the package explains why it is banned.
<LeePen> e.g apticron-systemd.[systemd]
<LeePen> or bsdextrautils.[d1src:util-linux]
<LeePen> Actually reportbug-ng and file-rc have disappeared from Debian, so the basic banned list is just systemd and systemd-sysv.
<LeePen> Everything else follows as a consequence.
<LeePen> So, technical.
<golinux> So a hard dependency on 'systemd, systemd-sysv' is the reason?
<LeePen> Yes, either directly or indirectly.

Board footer