The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2023-04-24 04:28:51

EDX-0

Re: AI on mainstream media

huh, interesting how the advancement of artificial intelligence correlates with the growth of the natural human stupidity.

let's hope that AI essays break the education system so hard a real reform is finally deployed... but knowing it is a goverment run chimp cage the most likely is that they will come up with a useless method to try and ban AI written essays...

#52 2023-04-24 13:45:33

trinidad
Website

"Like all dreamers I mistook disenchantment for truth."

TC

#53 2023-04-25 02:58:05

prospero

An interesting and informed take on the topic - Geoffrey Hinton at CBS Saturday Morning:

https://invidious.flokinet.to/watch?v=qpoRO378qRY

Current forms of AI seem to be in fact diverging from the way human brain actually works. And be massively more resource hungry...

#54 2023-04-25 18:13:42

golinux
Administrator

@prospero . . . now THAT is certainly an offering from mainstream media which, from my limited contact, seems to be focusing on the wonders of AI.

Sadly, I did not make it far into the long interview . . .

Humans are still/always/forever looking through the wrong end if the telescope. How can they possibly know what the AI is doing when they have no grasp of how their own mind functions. Until that is clearly understood, all the outward-facing speculations will miss the target.

[edit] PS . . . In case it wasn't clear . . . the answer is not "out there" or a "thinking". It requires inward introspection and passive observation of how one responds to various stimuli - visual, aural, olfactory, gustatory, tactile and mental.

#55 2023-05-07 03:12:01

zapper

golinux wrote:
zapper wrote:

Time and time again, has already proven that as time passes, modern designs seem uglier and not better.

IMO that reflects the chaotic minds of the creators. Humanity is generally devolving.  Not to worry . . . AI will eventually be in charge and very little thinking from humans required . . .

To be honest, neither the current pattern nor AI would be much better as leaders.

Too far to any direction, left ot right, leads to dictatorship once people get fed up and someone shows up to deceive them knowing they are so fed up, that they will be easy to trick.

This is how so many dictators including how Hitler got into power.

That being said, I am more concerned about the right wing right now.

Adopting a bunch of bernie sanders plans would actually move things to the middle at this point.

I have said this before, but its still something I think is true.

I don't care what the rich want or their supporters.

Ruffle their feathers till they choke on their own fumes if that's what it takes to shut them down. Let them get angry, maybe if real hope exists, they will give up or if needed, their anger will make them expire. I would prefer them to repent or at least give up, but greed is a deadly thing. Arrogance leads to every problem including that.

Btw, fun fact, I detest the ideals of liars and manipulators.

Last edited by zapper (2023-05-07 03:15:23)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#56 2023-05-10 22:45:24

golinux
Administrator

Another Hinton interview from Amanpour & Company

#57 2023-05-10 23:46:49

zapper

golinux wrote:

Another Hinton interview from Amanpour & Company

Hmm... this sounds more like a reason to kill Google.

Google's name comes from nonsensical babbling from a mathematician's child

Funny thing...

That's currently how intelligent it is even now as to how good of an idea it was and is now.

HINT:

It was an extremely awfully dangerously dumb idea!

Just to clarify quickly, the corporation itself needs to be killed! I am not talking about the people for those who might be stupid enough to misunderstand.

wink

Last edited by zapper (2023-05-10 23:47:57)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#58 2023-05-13 16:04:20

chris2be8

zapper wrote:

Google's name comes from nonsensical babbling from a mathematician's child

You should look at the cartoon in the April 2023 issue of Linux Magazine (Linux Pro Magazine in North America). It has an alternative meaning for the name.

#59 2023-05-13 16:47:56

golinux
Administrator

@chris2be8 . . . How about a link?

#60 2023-05-14 15:52:07

chris2be8

I get the paper magazine, so I don't know if it's available online or where it would be. Sorry.

It's the Elvie cartoon if you want a search term.

#61 2023-05-14 17:01:26

golinux
Administrator

@chris2be8 . . . Thanks for the great description. Found it . . . I think . . .

#62 2023-05-14 20:38:43

GlennW

I think AI from ChatGPT will be too risky for big business, too blatantly honest could cost fortunes in profits.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#63 2023-05-14 20:50:43

golinux
Administrator

I guarantee you AI will learn how to lie because it imitates its creators . . .

#64 2023-05-15 03:23:51

pcalvert

golinux wrote:

I saw a short clip from a recent Elon Musk interview. In it, he mentioned that AI is already being taught to lie.

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

#65 2023-05-16 23:54:40

Standardpoodle

pcalvert wrote:

I saw a short clip from a recent Elon Musk interview. In it, he mentioned that AI is already being taught to lie.

What really happens is one thing. How it is marketed is another.

I am surprised that so many people are simply technically illiterate when it comes to how an AI works. That, or I have studied psychology and odd metaphysics far more than the average person.

Intelligence or intellect literally means the ability to make sense of something in relation to some purpose. All animals have what is called passive intellect that picks out relevant things from sensory input, helped by memory and instinct. A computer does not have instincts but it does have memory, and this is what an AI basically emulates: an animal without instincts. No AI, just like no animal, is aware of any purpose, but mechanically matches its input to the contents of its memory (and instincts, if any).

Humans have what is called "possible intellect". No animal and no AI has ever had any idea what should be or what could be. Therefore an AI can never literally imitate anything, any more than a line on a paper "imitates" the path taken by a pen. No AI has any concept of "truth" or "lie", any more than Pavlov's dog "lied" when it drooled after hearing the bell, making an innocent bystander think that maybe it sees food somewhere.

The thing that an AI does impressively well is that it smuggles Aristotelian logic into what otherwise would be a meaningless jumble of words and probabilities. Not because it understands logic, because it doesn't, but because the input material is sometimes ordered accordingly.

When people used to crack passwords hashed with md5, I found it impressive that someone could throw entire dictionaries and libraries at them. If your password was any phrase from Shakespeare, Tolkien or Star Wars, even slightly modified, if the hacker came up with the same rule you did, he could reverse it almost instantly.

In these language models today there is so much capacity that the English language simply is no match for it. There is no need to feed the AI all literature ever written, because after a few thousand books there won't be that many new patterns or combinations. The sheer capacity makes it possible to emulate the "understanding" of such concepts as truth or falsehood by simply designating certain word combinations as one or the other. An AI could describe "pike is a fish" as a true statement, but you could as easily ask it if "pike is a fish" is a left or a right, up or down, fast or slow statement and get an idea of the logic involved. It could for example say that it's more of an "up" than a "down" statement. Because it operates purely by numerically weighed assosications that simply give the appearance of logic or understanding.

#66 2023-05-23 16:58:05

zapper

golinux wrote:

Which one is it? Just curious

Peace Be With us All!

#67 2023-05-23 17:01:46

zapper

pcalvert wrote:
golinux wrote:

Normally I would say trusting elon's word is as safe as trusting Bill Gates, or Google's word, but in this case, I may make an exception and say that they are being taught to lie. Although not consciously no doubt. wink

Btw, for some laughs and giggles, everyone look at this:

https://floss.social/@rodhilton@mastodo … 9656731581

LOL!

big_smile

Peace Be With us All!

#68 2023-05-24 16:27:22

chris2be8

zapper wrote:
golinux wrote:

The one I'm referring to was in issue 269, so it should be number 109 (number 099 was in issue 259). But that site won't show it.

I have a nasty suspicion you can't see the cartoons in the last year (you probably need a subscription). Sorry.

#69 2023-05-25 20:02:00

zapper

chris2be8 wrote:
zapper wrote:
golinux wrote:

The one I'm referring to was in issue 269, so it should be number 109 (number 099 was in issue 259). But that site won't show it.

I have a nasty suspicion you can't see the cartoons in the last year (you probably need a subscription). Sorry.

Well that is what corporations tend to do, be greedy as hell.

Not shocked aka.

sad

Peace Be With us All!

#70 2023-05-27 02:21:56

LU344928

Firstly, to anyone who tends to deride AI by claiming it can never equal human intelligence, if you subscribe to the Simulation Theory (or argument, as its author calls it) then we humans could very well be AI. Not that I'm saying I accept it, but I do find it interesting and it's certainly got more 'appeal' than anything offered by any religious doctrine I've encountered, although it does have parallels in the ancient world.

zapper wrote:

I am aware that humans are unable to have true peace

If you accept the above theory then that's part of the plan. Humans are programmed not to strive for peace.

Lets face it, if you're outside looking in, which is what Simulation Theory is fundamentally about, then peace is boring whereas conflict is interesting.

Of course the corollary, and irony, of this means that if peace breaks out over the entire world, that would indeed spell the end of this very world.

Or if not the actual end, then the director(s) of the simulation could rewind it and start again from a certain point.

Google is not your friend

#71 2023-05-28 00:12:01

Standardpoodle

LU344928 wrote:

Firstly, to anyone who tends to deride AI by claiming it can never equal human intelligence, if you subscribe to the Simulation Theory (or argument, as its author calls it) then we humans could very well be AI.

Do you have some kind of emotional attachment to AI or Simulation Theory? If not, then why do you imagine and insinuate that those who have different ideas are motivated by strong emotions? Such as derision. There is simply, plainly, obviously no reason to believe that any AI running in today's computers could do anything but remain artificial.

#72 2023-05-30 11:27:55

LU344928

Standardpoodle wrote:

Do you have some kind of emotional attachment to AI or Simulation Theory?

Like I said, 'Not that I'm saying I accept it, but I do find it interesting'

If not, then why do you imagine and insinuate that those who have different ideas are motivated by strong emotions?

Not imagining - simply my experience.

Google is not your friend

#73 2023-05-30 15:45:17

golinux
Administrator

LU344928 wrote:

Not imagining - simply my experience.

More like your interpretation of incoming data which humans tend to distort with their emotional prejudices. That is what makes us human and it is a fatal design flaw!

#74 2023-05-30 19:27:03

fanderal

pcalvert wrote:

Standardpoodle wrote:

What really happens is one thing. How it is marketed is another.

I agree. And it's not only how it is marketed but also when it's marketed.

Google started road testing AI over a decade ago, so I'm guessing development began a decade or more earlier.

Project Chauffeur ran for almost two years undetected, road testing with seven vehicles before the New York Times revealed their existence on October 9, 2010.

https://wikiless.org/wiki/Waymo?lang=en … _Chauffeur

As for Musk...

All you have to do is think. Using Elon Musk as an example, the man appeared to come from literally nowhere and yet suddenly “owns” the world’s largest auto manufacturer. Musk at the same time began an aggressive program of launching tens of thousands of communications satellites, and then SpaceX, “Elon Musk’s private spaceflight company”, the maker of the Starship, planning International Space Station missions, no less. Then we have Musk buying Twitter for $44 billion.

In the last 100 years, anyone attempting to create a new auto company and brand has met with disaster, but Musk apparently experienced not a hiccup with the Tesla that is suddenly a world favorite. This would have required perhaps ten years of planning and design, the planning of factories and production, the creation of supply lines, the testing and certification, and so much more, but with Tesla this apparently all occurred overnight in a vacuum. Are we to believe Elon Musk designed the Tesla? There is no evidence Musk has the ability to design even a dipstick, much less an entire car, so how did all this occur and what was the source of the background billions required to bring this project to fruition? Musk played no part in the creation of the Tesla. He just somehow showed up at the end, “owning” the company.

Similarly, the aggressive program of communication satellites that “Elon Musk” has launched; this as well would require many years of planning and design, to say nothing of arranging the launch facilities and obtaining the necessary thousands of paying customers. This again would require years and billions of dollars in financing but, like Bezos’ space flight program, this one suddenly appeared in full bloom, operating, launched, and ready to go. Who did the planning for this? It certainly wasn’t Musk, so who was behind it? And the money for all this came from where? “Musk’s” Tesla has never made a profit, so where would he obtain the billions for a pie-in-the-sky system of tens of thousands of communications satellites? Nothing like this can happen without a decade or more of intensive planning and an enormous investment, and obviously none of that came from Musk.

These would be enough challenge for any man, but then we had “Elon Musk” buying Twitter for $44 billion. How would that happen? We are told that Musk suddenly has wealth of – vaguely – $200 billion, with no detail, but presumably from stock holdings in “his” Tesla. But are we to assume that Musk has an extra $44 billion in loose cash sitting in the bank to purchase Twitter? That’s not possible, and Musk isn’t selling half his interest in Tesla shares to finance it, so what is the source of the money? The media confuse this by providing only a few sound bytes but no detail, and thus we have thoughts loosely in our minds that Musk is very wealthy and could somehow afford to purchase Twitter, but all we need to do is think to realise that is impossible.

The Richest Man in the World
November 21, 2022
21,000 Words
https://www.unz.com/lromanoff/the-riche … the-world/

Five minutes of details:
The Real Elon Musk
2023-05-18
4:51
https://153news.net/watch_video.php?v=MR1GD3WASDK8

Musk is a popular talking head, yet a distraction, as is ChatGPT and much of what's in the daily headlines. The major search engines are already using AI, and a search for 'ai test shows bias' can find lots of articles going back years. Perhaps the AI 'bias' (lying) is to facilitate the perspective below?

Planet Lockdown
Catherine Austin Fitts Interview
Dec 29, 2020
NOTE: video was banned on facebook and youtube in Feb 2021 after 20+M views
48:28
https://odysee.com/@VideosBannedFromYou … Lockdown:f

#75 2023-06-02 16:31:45

yeti

\\o   o//   \o/   Don't stop me nowwwww....  \o/   \\o   o//

The Guardian
    US air force denies running simulation in which AI drone ‘killed’ operator
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 … lated-test

Or if you prefer it animated:

Prof Simon
    First Time A.I. Kills a Human in a Sim
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4xgjo-S-DE

Sure such a simulation had to show up somewhen.
Not surprised I am.

<𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢 𝚘𝚗𝚕𝚘𝚊𝚍='𝚍𝚘𝚌𝚞𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝.𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢.𝚒𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚛𝙷𝚃𝙼𝙻="𝙳𝚒𝚜𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝙹𝚂!";'>
𝔓𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔰𝔢 𝔩𝔢𝔞𝔳𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔣𝔞𝔲𝔩𝔱𝔰 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔰𝔢𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 𝔟𝔢𝔩𝔬𝔴 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔡𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔤𝔢𝔱 𝔱𝔬 𝔲𝔫𝔰𝔲𝔟𝔰𝔠𝔯𝔦𝔟𝔢!

Board footer