The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2023-01-15 12:02:26

Evenson
Member
Registered: 2022-09-08
Posts: 58  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

https://docs.codelite.org/downloads/download/#ubuntu-debian

??


"A stop job is running..." - SystemD

Offline

#27 2023-01-15 12:25:48

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 3,125  
Website

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

Evenson wrote:

https://docs.codelite.org/downloads/download/#ubuntu-debian

Their Debian buster & bullseye repositories should be binary-compatible with Devuan beowulf & chimaera, respectively.

So try something like

curl -fsSL https://repos.codelite.org/CodeLite.asc | gpg --dearmor | sudo tee /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/codelight.gpg >/dev/null
sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/codelight.list <<!
deb https://repos.codelite.org/debian bullseye devel
!
sudo apt update
sudo apt install codelight

^ That example is for bullseye/chimaera, change the deb https line if you're using beowulf instead.

Disclaimer: the Devuan developers do not recommend using third-party repositories (including mine) so you're on your own if you try this.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2023-01-15 12:29:25)


Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

Offline

#28 2023-01-15 12:28:48

Evenson
Member
Registered: 2022-09-08
Posts: 58  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Evenson wrote:

https://docs.codelite.org/downloads/download/#ubuntu-debian

Their Debian buster & bullseye repositories should be binary-compatible with Devuan beowulf & chimaera, respectively.

So try something like

curl -fsSL https://repos.codelite.org/CodeLite.asc | gpg --dearmor | sudo tee /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/codelight.gpg >/dev/null
sudo apt update
sudo apt install codelight

Disclaimer: the Devuan developers do not recommend using third-party repositories (including mine) so you're on your own if you try this.

Why do you feel the need to insert irrelevant information? Please re-read OP.


"A stop job is running..." - SystemD

Offline

#29 2023-01-15 12:30:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 3,125  
Website

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

Evenson wrote:

Why do you feel the need to insert irrelevant information?

I've just shown you how to install codelight in Devuan. There is no need to add codelight to the Crapton repository and I certainly won't keep it updated and maintained.


Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

Offline

#30 2023-01-15 12:32:28

Evenson
Member
Registered: 2022-09-08
Posts: 58  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Evenson wrote:

Why do you feel the need to insert irrelevant information?

I've just shown you how to install codelight in Devuan. There is no need to add codelight to the Crapton repository and I certainly won't keep it updated and maintained.

You assume much but contribute nothing, go away.


"A stop job is running..." - SystemD

Offline

#31 2023-01-15 12:33:35

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 3,125  
Website

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

I've just contributed a new user repository specifically for the use of the community. Is that not relevant for this thread?

The repository is empty at the moment but it should have some packages soon.


Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

Offline

#32 2023-01-15 12:35:12

Evenson
Member
Registered: 2022-09-08
Posts: 58  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I've just contributed a new user repository specifically for the use of the community. Is that not relevant for this thread?

The repository is empty at the moment but it should have some packages soon.

A devuan repo?


"A stop job is running..." - SystemD

Offline

#33 2023-01-15 12:37:29

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 3,125  
Website

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

The OBS only offers Debian repositories, unfortunately, but they are binary-compatible with the relevant Devuan release and I certainly won't be adding anything that would conflict with the list of banned packages.


Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

Offline

#34 2023-01-15 16:16:39

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 2,987  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

As soon as I fully wake up, this thread is gonna have major surgery and time out for Evenson. You never know what toxic alien life-forms will drop by for a surprise visit . . . LOL!

Online

#35 2023-01-15 16:43:22

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 2,987  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

Done! That's better!

Online

#36 2023-01-15 21:40:47

andyprough
Member
Registered: 2019-10-19
Posts: 327  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

MiyoLinux wrote:
JWM-Kit wrote:

I know this is currently just in discussion, but if this comes to fruition can I suggest it be called "The Devuan Community's  Crapton Repository" or the DCCR for short.  Of course in the Devuan community It will simple be known as Crapton.

-- to be clear, I'm not expecting anyone to take this suggestion seriously.

I don't know, but I think Crapton is a great name for it...but that's just me and my quirkyness...  tongue

Name really needs to change to something like DDCCR - Devuan Distrinbtuions Community Crapton Repository

Offline

#37 2023-01-16 01:51:55

Evenson
Member
Registered: 2022-09-08
Posts: 58  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

golinux wrote:

As soon as I fully wake up, this thread is gonna have major surgery and time out for Evenson. You never know what toxic alien life-forms will drop by for a surprise visit . . . LOL!

Apologies for the drunk posting, i wont be back.


"A stop job is running..." - SystemD

Offline

#38 2023-01-16 18:11:59

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 3,125  
Website

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

golinux wrote:

major surgery

Much appreciated, thanks!


Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

Offline

#39 2023-01-17 13:34:53

MrReplikant
Member
Registered: 2022-12-03
Posts: 53  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

Woah, Kudos to you, HOAS! Didn't think my silly idea would actually get anywhere, glad to see it coming to life!


That's all, folks.

Offline

#40 2023-01-18 17:40:49

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 3,125  
Website

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

I plan to add a "fake" package (made with equivs) for polkitd so I can use sway without having that shit running just in case the bug report isn't actioned before the bookworm release. Leaving this post here as a reminder.

Does anybody want any other fake packages while I'm at it? It'll be just like running Slackware but without the ridiculous disk usage big_smile


Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

Offline

#41 2023-01-19 19:56:03

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 1,323  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I plan to add a "fake" package (made with equivs) for polkitd so I can use sway without having that shit running just in case the bug report isn't actioned before the bookworm release. Leaving this post here as a reminder.

Does anybody want any other fake packages while I'm at it? It'll be just like running Slackware but without the ridiculous disk usage big_smile

Hey man...I'm redesigning the Crappy Radio Player...

I'm working on adding tabs for different music genres instead of having them all just thrown together.

Although...just throwing them all together is more inline with it being "Crappy". tongue

Hahaha!


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#42 2023-01-20 06:52:30

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 3,125  
Website

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

^ Sounds good. I'm tempted to make a terminal-based version using dialog/whiptail. I don't like GUIs...


Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

Offline

#43 2023-01-20 14:56:55

MiyoLinux
Member
Registered: 2016-12-05
Posts: 1,323  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

^ Sounds good. I'm tempted to make a terminal-based version using dialog/whiptail. I don't like GUIs...

big_smile


I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Offline

#44 2023-02-04 15:17:16

boughtonp
Member
From: UK
Registered: 2023-01-19
Posts: 153  
Website

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

MrReplikant wrote:

Full Disclosure: I act alone in this, this is not put on by the Devuan team themselves.

I would like to know who all here has software they have or would like to package for Devuan, but can't due to the limitations on Devuan's official resources. This is following up on the end of the discussion in "My crappy radio player". This is intended to get a better idea of how much "community" software would be out there for Devuan, and whether or not it's enough to make a dedicated community repository worthwhile.

What would be the benefit of a Devuan-specific community repository, as opposed to a Debian-wide one?

Unless you're not intending it to be Devuan-specific, in which case I amend the above to: what would you consider to be the benefits of a Debian-wide community repository?


3.1415P265E589T932E846R64338

Offline

#45 2023-02-04 16:11:02

fsmithred
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 2,360  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

boughtonp wrote:

What would be the benefit of a Devuan-specific community repository, as opposed to a Debian-wide one?

Unless you're not intending it to be Devuan-specific, in which case I amend the above to: what would you consider to be the benefits of a Debian-wide community repository?

I imagine that a Debian-wide community repository would not exclude software that requires systemd. One for Devuan would need to exclude things that won't install on Devuan. If you're running Debian, you will probably be able to use anything that's in the crapton repo.

Offline

#46 2023-02-11 13:49:17

boughtonp
Member
From: UK
Registered: 2023-01-19
Posts: 153  
Website

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

I included that follow-up question to try and communicate that the no-systemd aspect is less relevant to what I'm asking.
(i.e any repository could choose to have a no-systemd rule irrespective of whether it was Devuan-specific or not.)

My questions were trying to understand specifically what angle MrReplikant is coming from.

I see multiple potential motivations/possibilities, and didn't want to go off down one track only for it to be irrelevant/wrong due to being on different pages...


3.1415P265E589T932E846R64338

Offline

#47 2023-02-15 14:27:41

MrReplikant
Member
Registered: 2022-12-03
Posts: 53  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

boughtonp wrote:

I included that follow-up question to try and communicate that the no-systemd aspect is less relevant to what I'm asking.
(i.e any repository could choose to have a no-systemd rule irrespective of whether it was Devuan-specific or not.)

My questions were trying to understand specifically what angle MrReplikant is coming from.

I see multiple potential motivations/possibilities, and didn't want to go off down one track only for it to be irrelevant/wrong due to being on different pages...

fsmithred hit the nail on the head. Ensures software that requires systemd isnt included. But as for the most basic reason for  the Crapton repository? We have a lot of community-made stuff or things we want to see packaged for Devuan. Since we can't use official resources for that, we instead provide our own.


That's all, folks.

Offline

#48 2023-03-01 05:43:16

zapper
Member
Registered: 2017-05-29
Posts: 729  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

I may have once mentioned once that I was searching for a specific system load monitor...

I out of nowhere found which one it was...

gkrellm was what I was seeking all along...

big_smile

I recommend someone add this to the repo here you mentioned starting/have in place.

Btw, couldn't load website till recently.

wink


Black Lives Matter!  I am white, but I prefer equality over hatred.
Haughtiness comes before a fall, pride before destruction.
Peace be with you!
No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and mammon!

Offline

#49 2023-03-01 15:40:40

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 2,987  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

I have gkrellm installed from the Devuan repos so why does it need to be added to this repo?

Online

#50 2023-03-03 07:17:03

zapper
Member
Registered: 2017-05-29
Posts: 729  

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

golinux wrote:

I have gkrellm installed from the Devuan repos so why does it need to be added to this repo?

Hmm... nvm then.

I didn't realize there was a hide taskbar option for this.

That's why I wanted this.

I saw this app on puppylinux's jwm build a while back.

wink


Black Lives Matter!  I am white, but I prefer equality over hatred.
Haughtiness comes before a fall, pride before destruction.
Peace be with you!
No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and mammon!

Offline

Board footer