The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-07-24 19:13:12

greenjeans
Website

Re: List of Devuan derivatives

mckaygerhard wrote:

i think so then that miyolinux must work directly in devuan and not divert the work.. its more productive

No it's not, more people using and experimenting with Devuan make for an extremely robust development environment, how do you think Debian got to be as big as it is? Much of the derivative work WILL make it's way into Devuan as it merits it, Refracta-tools is an excellent and shining example of this and how well this system works.

It is Devuan's wonderful attitude and specific encouragement of new developers and experimenters that drew me to it and keeps me here trying to make contributions in any way I can.

I have tried every one of those derivatives, and have learned something new with each one, and incorporated what I felt was best in all of them into the work i'm doing, and I guarantee you that the inclusion of these other developers work in mine has made my stuff at least 100% better than it ever could have been without it.

just my .02 worth.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#27 2017-07-24 20:09:50

mckaygerhard
Website

can you detail what are incorporated from the oteher derivated work into the miyolinux? as i can see any docs about it

with that i can take and change my review!

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-07-24 20:10:16)

#28 2017-07-24 20:26:12

greenjeans
Website

mckaygerhard wrote:

can you detail what are incorporated from the oteher derivated work into the miyolinux? as i can see any docs about it

Maybe if you actually gave one of my iso's a good test drive instead of giving it an "uff i'm tyred" (WTH does that even mean?), you might notice a lot of derived work from the Devuan derivative list. wink

Miyolinux is outstanding, you look at my work on Vuu-do and you will see that Miyolinux worked EXACTLY like it was built to, to inspire other folks to try openbox and make it easy to do so, and even to build your own system from it.

Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

#29 2017-07-24 20:33:45

mckaygerhard
Website

i got your iso, tested and have nothign more that minimal iso like a minimal devuian iso, please provide details... as i detailed in my review its just devuan with openbox,, same as thoers isos does..

as you can see all the iso was donwloaded and teste excep for the rasperry case, due my raspberry are quite older give me some problems..

i can tell you: miyolinux its just a devuan with openbox by default..  no more.. and that its the same that use the cd debuan and choose expert mode

if you dessire i can help with documentation, and some to made more information about your project but as its its not so clear

#30 2017-07-24 20:39:01

greenjeans
Website

mckaygerhard wrote:

if you dessire i can help

That would be a nice change of pace. smile

#31 2017-07-24 20:39:54

MiyoLinux

mckaygerhard wrote:

i think so then that miyolinux must work directly in devuan and not divert the work.. its more productive as Debian does with derivatives projects

I'm sorry mckaygerhard, but I don't understand? Are you saying that projects like these divert people away from pure Devuan? If so, Devuan doesn't think so; in fact, Devuan WANTS people to build distros based on their work.

From the Devuan website's main page...

Distributions based on Devuan

Various operating system distributions have already started adopting Devuan as a base OS. Here below a list in order of chronological appearance. When reviewing Devuan we do recommend taking derivatives in consideration: they harness the power of our base distribution targeting it at specific usage and this is exactly what we mean to achieve with Devuan. The default desktop provided by classic installer-iso images shouldn’t be considered the way we mean to use Devuan on the desktop.

If I've misunderstood what you were trying to say, I apologize.

mckaygerhard wrote:

Though this was a response to what greenjeans wrote, I will answer it. The only thing incorporated into MiyoLinux from another Devuan-based project was the Refracta Tools. The only documents that you will find regarding MiyoLinux are what's on the Sourceforge site. When I made MiyoLinux, I never expected it to be discovered. I thought that if 50 people eventually found it and used it, that would be amazing to me. It went way beyond that.

Friend, I wasn't offended by your review, nor do I wish you would change it. I know MiyoLinux wasn't/isn't perfect, but it suits the purpose that I envisioned for it. If it doesn't suit your purpose (or other's), that's very understandable, and I'm sorry that it doesn't.

I only responded to your post for two reasons...

1. Because I thought you possibly misunderstood the purpose of MiyoLinux.
2. The other projects. You seemed unreasonably critical for no reason, and I felt bad for them and all of the hard work and hours and hours and hours that they put into their projects.

I'm still using MiyoLinux and haven't had a problem. Not because it's MiyoLinux, but because it's Devuan.

Again, I don't want you to change your review of MiyoLinux. I have always appreciated any input, and I appreciate yours. Have a good day/evening/night wherever you may be friend. smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#32 2017-07-24 20:43:35

mckaygerhard
Website

where its the code, where its the process to make the miyolinux? what pacakges (apart of the very altered openbox ) are modified and where are the files? in sf there's no repo and i note the recently added wiki, i suggest gitlab or the git.deviuan.org

i suppost that git.devan.org must be the best place to those derivate work.. but are a little desert in that sense

i send a more private mail to coordinate

#33 2017-07-24 21:00:14

MiyoLinux

mckaygerhard wrote:

where its the code, where its the process to make the miyolinux? what pacakges (apart of the very altered openbox ) are modified and where are the files? in sf there's no repo and i note the recently added wiki, i suggest gitlab or the git.deviuan.org

i suppost that git.devan.org must be the best place to those derivate work.. but are a little desert in that sense

i send a more private mail to coordinate

The wiki has been there since the beginning. smile

I did make a "How to make MiyoLinux" guide at one time.

What packages are modified? The only modified packages that I can think of off the top of my head are changing the Exec= command in a few of the applications so that they open from the menu.

The only packages that aren't Devuan are...

1. Obmenu-generator (though all of its dependencies came from Devuan)
2. The update-notifier

Other than those two items, the only non-Devuan supplied items in MiyoLinux are some of the themes and icons.

Unfortunately, I have no desire to have a gitlab account.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#34 2017-07-24 21:33:43

mckaygerhard
Website

so as you said, theres no more differences rather than a Devuan with just openbox ... one package modified and a very dark theme (now passed away in fashion)  .. so my review seem very exact.. confirmed by you..

so what can i post in a wiki that are different from devuan if there's no material or source repository to track?

#35 2017-07-24 21:40:35

greenjeans
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

Hey before I forget, Trizen pushed an update to the main obmenu-generator perl script a couple days ago, says "minor tweaks" but there's a fair bit of extra code, it works but have not tested it thoroughly yet.

#36 2017-07-24 22:19:09

MiyoLinux

mckaygerhard wrote:

so as you said, theres no more differences rather than a Devuan with just openbox ... one package modified and a very dark theme (now passed away in fashion)  .. so my review seem very exact.. confirmed by you..

so what can i post in a wiki that are different from devuan if there's no material or source repository to track?

I don't know what to tell you mckaygerhard.

I guess you can tell people through your wiki that with Devuan, you can make it your own. wink

#37 2017-07-24 22:20:19

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

Hey before I forget, Trizen pushed an update to the main obmenu-generator perl script a couple days ago, says "minor tweaks" but there's a fair bit of extra code, it works but have not tested it thoroughly yet.

Thank you sir. I'll check in and around on it. smile

#38 2017-07-24 22:24:53

golinux
Administrator

MiyoLinux wrote:

I guess you can tell people through your wiki that with Devuan, you can make it your own. wink

Yes. That's a good part of what derivatives are all about.  Make it your own and pass it on.  Many candles lit from one flame . . .

#39 2017-07-24 22:29:10

greenjeans
Website

golinux wrote:

Many candles lit from one flame . . .

That is a beautiful and spot-on analogy ma'am. wink

#40 2017-07-24 23:16:27

mckaygerhard
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

well its a base system, usefully to start to work on a derivate,  but still hangs when used the mupen64plus..  in older machines, so then its the same as devuan that also hang and any other recent linux in older machine (and next kernel now removed support for olde cpou urrggg well nothing its forever)

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-07-24 23:18:04)

#41 2017-07-24 23:45:43

MiyoLinux

mckaygerhard wrote:

well its a base system, usefully to start to work on a derivate,  but still hangs when used the mupen64plus..  in older machines, so then its the same as devuan that also hang and any other recent linux in older machine (and next kernel now removed support for olde cpou urrggg well nothing its forever)

To be honest, I had never heard of mupen64plus until today. It sounds interesting.

I'm a MarioKart8 player myself, but I use the WiiU. Not sure how it works (or if it works) with mupen64plus, but if you're ever racing someone from the US with the name MiyoLinux...that's me. big_smile

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-07-24 23:48:17)

#42 2017-07-25 00:08:52

MiyoLinux

greenjeans wrote:

Speaking of obmenu-generator...have you tried upgrading from Jessie to Ascii with your builds? If so, have you figured out why obmenu-generator kicks the bucket on Ascii? I'm in the process of trying to figure it out as time permits.

What's strange is...before I switched to Devuan, I built several Openbox systems on Debian Stretch (while it was still Testing), and obmenu-generator always worked on those. I'm thinking some depends must be missing from the upgrade in Devuan from Jessie to Ascii? Not sure yet though. I didn't even notice this until I tried an upgrade in Devuan about a week ago. tongue

#43 2017-07-25 00:23:13

mckaygerhard
Website

ah dont worry .. its a old game.. predecesor of that you are playing... its nintendo64 fro 90's / 2000's  i'm taking about emulators on older machines.. each day passed and each upgrade made, runs more slower and linux ask for more resources.. its a pain... like MS does ...

i quite busy now with some gambas projects, but at night each day i search and made some things in the devuan.. due the current Debian politics i must use it ...

i'll change the review at sourceforge later ok.. and titled miyoliunx as basefor modifications...

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-07-25 00:26:27)

#44 2017-07-25 01:00:08

MiyoLinux

mckaygerhard wrote:

ah dont worry .. its a old game.. predecesor of that you are playing... its nintendo64 fro 90's / 2000's  i'm taking about emulators on older machines.. each day passed and each upgrade made, runs more slower and linux ask for more resources.. its a pain... like MS does ...

i quite busy now with some gambas projects, but at night each day i search and made some things in the devuan.. due the current Debian politics i must use it ...

i'll change the review at sourceforge later ok.. and titled miyoliunx as basefor modifications...

I appreciate your willingness to change the review, but I don't want you to. Let it stay as is. smile

All that I would like is for people to hopefully understand what a particular spin/derivative/distro is geared toward. Once that is determined, then one can hopefully ascertain if a particular spin/derivative/distro will suit what they are looking for. smile

If I failed to describe the purpose of MiyoLinux in a clear manner, then I apologize.

Take care. smile

#45 2017-07-29 10:23:18

zapper

aitor wrote:

Hi pekman,

First of all, thanks for your interest taken in Gnuinos. I'm the author of this distribution, and now i'm working on some applications in gtk. One of them is a new GUI for the backend of simple-netaid. Here you are the code:

https://git.devuan.org/aitor_czr/simple … ree/master

and here you are a video, comparing the behaviour of the status icon with the status icon of the original GUI (written in freepascall):

http://gnuinos.org/simple-netaid-gtk_2.mpg

The active wifis will be shown at real time in the future, as you can see in the following video:

http://gnuinos.org/simple-netaid-gtk.mpg

But, at the time being, there will be a "refresh" button for that, because i have to fix a Segmentation fault.

Another project is a new menu for openbox (also in Gtk), dynamic and multilingual. Here you are a video:

http://gnuinos.org/openbox-menu1.mpg

This menu will have also a static header (still not included), containing items like "gmrun", "terminal", "web-browser", etc... and a static footer, containig as a final item the "Exit" option (at the same developed in gtk, i.e. a new openbox-logout).

I'll also work on a device-manager-gui, for umout/eject,  mount/open... external devices.

Shortly i'll start learning "amprolla", developed by Nextime. Gnuinos will use amprolla, vdev, simple-netaid and linux-libre (and OpenRC, maybe). So, the release of Gnuinos will take some time smile

Cheers,

Aitor.

I sent you an email, I hope you will succeed. Also, I hope you can get stallman on board for supporting you. smile

ps, why does it say it hasn't been updated for a while anyways?
just curious because on your website it looks like it has been two years since it has been updated, i mean the iso...

Aitor, I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by zapper (2017-07-29 10:25:25)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#46 2018-05-14 01:22:50

figdev

i have returned (i have no idea what email i used with my previous account) for a handful of unrelated reasons, but as long as im here i would like to know what the policy (if any) is for inclusion on the above list.

more than a year later, i still think its unfair that i was excluded.

but if there is a policy to exclude refracta derivatives as being too far removed, i dont agree with that personally but i can at least accept that its not unfair exclusion based on some personal agenda.

the fact that a refracta derivative also incorporated a (lower) percentage of another distro was beside the point, though.

also (though it shouldnt matter) fig os no longer incorporates anything at all from librepup. it is entirely based on refracta and the debian repos to build. it only has the (devuan) repos that refracta uses in sources.list and its website is: https://figos.sourceforge.io/ there is even a support forum again.

if there is a policy about any of this, id like to know what the policy is.

this is now the official devuan forum, and my questions are about devuan, so i presume this is the place to ask.

Last edited by figdev (2018-05-14 11:47:07)

#47 2019-11-19 12:11:16

Camtaf

Just returned to the forum, & I see a number of those listed don't seem to be maintained, if the dates are anything to go by, so was wondering if , perhaps, the list could be divided into 'current distros' & 'older/unmaintained'(?). smile

(P.S. Previously known as FOSSuser.)

#48 2020-01-13 09:08:09

HevyDevy

Add this one to the list "maybe"....PsychOS (im not affiliated, just found it on distrowatch).

Very retro man!

https://psychoslinux.gitlab.io/index_modern.html

website doesn't format very well on my end?

Distrowatch

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issu … 13#waiting

Downloads

https://psychoslinux.gitlab.io/downloads.html

Last edited by HevyDevy (2020-01-13 09:16:38)

#49 2020-01-17 00:11:36

zephyr
Website

HevyDevy wrote: Add this one to the list "maybe"....PsychOS (im not affiliated, just found it on distrowatch).

Very retro man!

downloaded and gonna give a look at! Looks interesting enough! cool

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#50 2020-01-21 20:27:41

mckaygerhard
Website

three years passed and my words remained a hard as permanent truth, so lest check in that time:

still Winner: Dowse - http://dowse.eu/ ARM an raspberry focused, very featured linux, but not so light does not work well in older arm rasberry fist devices.. since last review by me..this project was grow and seems still used Devuan.. i hope as it used devuan also collaborate with too

raised second: EterTICs - https://gnuetertics.org/descargar.php good well done guys! enough multimedia tools and support for blind people, using defualt debian installer.. thanks! but still need tuning!

downgrade to 3rth: Exe GNU/Linux - http://exegnulinux.net featured! comes with something that other does not offer, complete desktop without take more than 400 mb ram, why used a limited LXQT if we have trinity for same RAM price!? that's why are in second place!

the rest:

downgraded to 4th: dyne:bolic oh soon now a linux with dark theme with a ugly desktop, lest analyze: multimedia with ugly things.. umm i dont know rick! looks false!

Star - https://sourceforge.net/projects/linnix : still nothing more than a devuan with "light" desktop (mostly windown managers not more), and 32bit work slower in asus eepc and hp P4 based cpu, raised to the 6th place due are active and the only feature are a theming in black

Refracta - http://www.ibiblio.org/refracta : featured the refracta software, nothing more that we cannot do in the current devuan, refracta does not work for blind persons.. so for what are that thing?

good-life-linux - https://sourceforge.net/projects/good-life-linux/ only a Devuan with LXDE preinstaled nothigs more that a black highly innovative (again) theme from fashion today

Gnuinos - http://gnuinos.org : nothing special.. page are empty and there's no sing of life! in fact still does not work well in some x86 older so why making light

MIYO - https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyolinux/ too minimized and does not featured nothing, currently dead now.. snif sniff

Nelum-dev1 - https://sourceforge.net/projects/nelum-dev1 : due now death was very heavy to use... nothing more than some theming featured.. yes.. again highly innovative dark theme..

heads - https://heads.dyne.org/about.html : when user download all the preinstalled software are outdated (kakaka, nonsense)

Crowz - https://sourceforge.net/projects/crowz/:  only a devuan linux with openbox or jwm with another "dark" again theme wow a new highly innovative dark (again) theme.. great!

Vuu-do - https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/ ??  seems that not featured nothing rather than a openbox install?

ALLIEN  .. https://sourceforge.net/projects/alien-os-mnml/ errr.. same as previous.. does not featured.. well .. all you know what its.. inclusivelly only uses german keyboard!! puff

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2020-01-21 20:39:22)

Board footer