The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-07 18:32:30

kjpetrie

Fight for the Plasma Desktop Cube

If you use Plasma and find the Cube one of the most useful features and a major motivation for choosing it over other desktops, you will be shocked to learn KDE plan to abolish it at the next release (5.23.x).

Now, of course, that won't affect Devuan users immediately because the Plasma here is many versions back, so presumably will not be upgraded to 5.23 in the immediate future, but it may well bite when the next version of Devuan comes out. By then the cube will be long gone and any chance of persuading KDE to put it back will be long behind us.

I have opened a wishlist bug report at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=443410 and a topic on the KDE forum at https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=172850 and would welcome support there.

KDE have invited those who care enough to rewrite the effect using QML, but I imagine that's not a trivial thing to do unless you know both QML and the internal workings of Plasma well.

#2 2021-10-07 18:46:58

andyprough

Re: Fight for the Plasma Desktop Cube

I remember getting the cube working for the first time with the compiz window manager on KDE. When was that, 15 years ago? That would have been on a SuSE Pro box, maybe SuSE Pro 10.1?

Good times. You can still do the cube on the Trinity Desktop (TDE), I think I even got it going with compiz a couple years ago if I recall correctly. I was using that awesome Devuan respin, Exo GNU/Linux. That was one incredible introduction to the world of Devuan. I'd still be using it, but vanilla Devuan is just so perfect.

Here it is - looks like I was using a hex-cube at the time: Screenshot_2019-09-22_00-25-43.png

#3 2021-10-07 19:04:32

golinux
Administrator

golinux remembers the compiz "cube" with nostalgia. This from 2009 . . .

compiz2009

#4 2021-10-08 04:01:20

durham

I remember trying to get compiz to work in 2007 or so, and failing. I tried every year or whenever I switched distros or got a new computer. Always failure.

I'm nostalgic for something I never used. tongue

Last edited by durham (2021-10-08 04:01:37)

A dangerous technology is one that is available only to an elite group  -- George M. Ewing, Analog, April 1977

#5 2021-10-08 08:03:30

Nili
Website

If i had started Linux early before 2010, I'm sure compiz would have stick on me.

openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

#6 2021-10-08 12:31:20

hevidevi

Knoppix does a good compiz desktop. I always keep a few sticks of knoppix around for backups, they are like mini operating systems with everything you would possibly need out of a linux distro.

#7 2021-10-08 12:46:02

zapper

kjpetrie wrote:

If you use Plasma and find the Cube one of the most useful features and a major motivation for choosing it over other desktops, you will be shocked to learn KDE plan to abolish it at the next release (5.23.x).

Now, of course, that won't affect Devuan users immediately because the Plasma here is many versions back, so presumably will not be upgraded to 5.23 in the immediate future, but it may well bite when the next version of Devuan comes out. By then the cube will be long gone and any chance of persuading KDE to put it back will be long behind us.

I have opened a wishlist bug report at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=443410 and a topic on the KDE forum at https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=172850 and would welcome support there.

KDE have invited those who care enough to rewrite the effect using QML, but I imagine that's not a trivial thing to do unless you know both QML and the internal workings of Plasma well.

Not that I care about DE's much, but at least the KDE folks, are willing to allow someone to make those changes, that gives me a small amount of respect for them, whether they are bloated or not, which I think they are. wink

That being said,  I wonder if Gnome would be as willing to preserve features people like. I am not sure...

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

Board footer