The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2021-09-14 09:43:51

Élisabeth

Re: [SOLVED] USB image - Access Denied error

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

sorry about editing your post.. must be tired...

No problem. I just nearly overlooked it.

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

Ok. so AnyBurn is no good, then.[...] dd-windows uses the name "partition0" for the whole disk

I tried dd as well.

dd if=devuan_chimaera_4.0.beta-20210906_amd64_netinstall.iso of=\\.\f:

I can boot from this (and AnyBurn) if and only if the Debian USB is present.

PS: once we get there, can I ask questions about partioning on the forum?

#52 2021-09-14 10:00:32

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

As discussed at https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/USB_fl … ion_medium using dd for windows you should probably use a od argument rather than of so as to tell the program to write to the whole drive; otherwise it merely writes to the first partition.
Thus, it may look like this:

dd if=devuan_chimaera_4.0.beta-20210906_amd64_netinstall.iso od=\\.\f

PS: once we get there, can I ask questions about partioning on the forum?

Yes, certainly.

#53 2021-09-14 10:29:24

Élisabeth

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

As discussed at https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/USB_fl … ion_medium using dd for windows you should probably use a od argument rather than of so as to tell the program to write to the whole drive; otherwise it merely writes to the first partition.
Thus, it may look like this:

dd if=devuan_chimaera_4.0.beta-20210906_amd64_netinstall.iso od=\\.\f

The version of dd I downloaded doesn't have an od command. I get an error.

#54 2021-09-14 10:48:20

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Hmm. I'm not sure how then to verify.
Maybe, after doing dd, eject the USB and put it back in, while still in windows.
It should then contain two partitions; the first of some unknown format (format zero) and the second a FAT12 partition. If you mount that, it should have a folder named EFI.

Possibly you can use the diskpart command, then select the USB disk and use the sub command list partition.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window … s/diskpart

#55 2021-09-14 15:53:10

Élisabeth

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

[...]
Possibly you can use the diskpart command, then select the USB disk and use the sub command list partition.

After using dd there's only one partition on the USB stick:

N° partition   Type              Taille   Décalage
  -------------  ----------------  -------  --------
  Partition 1    Principale          14 G     31 K

The Windows file system cannot recognize the files on the USB stick.
However, I can boot from it as described in point 5. of this post.

The Debian USB stick also has only one partition.

Last edited by Élisabeth (2021-09-14 16:05:53)

#56 2021-09-14 16:16:25

Élisabeth

As described in this post, I can boot from a Chimeara netinstall USB if Debian is plugged into another USB port.

When I select to boot from USB the BIOS  Select Boot Device sceen does not give me the choice which USB to boot from. It chooses one of them automatically, and which one depends on which slot they're in. So it was pure chance that I discovered that I can boot Devuan netinstaller when Debian is plugged in also.

Stupid question: why not proceed with this ? I can go through the installation menu and make my choices. Do you think this USB won't be suitable for the actual installation ?

#57 2021-09-14 16:24:28

KS4TD
Website

I've read this thread and it seems there's been much confusion about this process, but there is a simple solution: use Rufus to create the boot USB stick under Windows.  Rufus has always worked under Windows for me to make bootable Linux sticks for many distros: Debian, Devuan, Linux Mint, Slackware, CentOS, et cetera.  Rufus is "intelligent" when creating USB boot sticks and you do not have to install Rufus if you use its "portable" edition.  It has great support if you need it also.  Best part: it's free. big_smile  I hope this helps.

#58 2021-09-14 16:47:03

golinux
Administrator

Yeah, I mentioned Rufus early on.  Seems it got lost in the confusion,

#59 2021-09-14 17:11:41

Élisabeth

golinux wrote:

Yeah, I mentioned Rufus early on.  Seems it got lost in the confusion,

It did indeed.

But here you go:

• [which image + USB] | [which write method] | [result]

1. Chimeara netinstall | AnyBurn, dd-Windows, copy/paste |  no error, no load, BIOS re-presents  Select Boot Device screen

2. Chimeara netinstall | Rufus |  Secure Boot Access Denied error

3. Chimeara netinstall + Debian | AnyBurn, dd-Windows, Rufus, copy/paste  | BIOS loads Devuan installation menu

The Rufus created USB behaves differently but doesn't boot on its own either.

#60 2021-09-14 20:08:22

rolfie

Just found something in a German laptop forum about rufus and Secure Boot: rufus does not write a valid Secure Boot signature. That means in your case rufus isn't the right tool.

rolfie

Edith: well, I have successfully used rufus for a lot of bootable USB sticks in the past. Legacy mode or UEFI, it always worked fine, but without Secure Boot. I always did disable this "feature".

Last edited by rolfie (2021-09-15 06:08:54)

#61 2021-09-14 20:50:37

Élisabeth

rolfie wrote:

Just found something in a German laptop forum about rufus and Secure Boot: rufus does not write a valid Secure Boot signature. That means in your case rufus isn't the right tool.

That'll be why this is the only burn tool that returns the Secure Boot error with netinstall.

I'm impressed - you're multi-lingual.

#62 2021-09-14 20:56:03

Élisabeth

Stupid question: why not proceed with my Debian USB inserted? I can boot Devuan and through the installation menu and make my choices. Do you think my  Devuan USB won't be suitable for the actual installation ?

I just want to get rid of this Windows shit and recreate what I had before my revious Linux laptop died.

#63 2021-09-14 22:03:18

GlennW

KS4TD wrote:

I've read this thread and it seems there's been much confusion about this process, but there is a simple solution: use Rufus to create the boot USB stick under Windows.  Rufus has always worked under Windows for me to make bootable Linux sticks for many distros: Debian, Devuan, Linux Mint, Slackware, CentOS, et cetera.  Rufus is "intelligent" when creating USB boot sticks and you do not have to install Rufus if you use its "portable" edition.  It has great support if you need it also.  Best part: it's free. big_smile  I hope this helps.

+1 Rufus, had always worked for me too.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#64 2021-09-14 22:52:32

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Élisabeth wrote:

Stupid question: why not proceed with my Debian USB inserted? I can boot Devuan and through the installation menu and make my choices. Do you think my  Devuan USB won't be suitable for the actual installation ?

Not stupid; yes, you should go ahead and try to install that way; whatever the outcome, it'll be an improvement smile

You will also have the backup path of just installing Debian and when that is up, return to installing Devuan.

#65 2021-09-16 02:01:58

JWM-Kit
Website

I guess I'm late to the conversation, but might I suggest using Balena Etcher to write the flash drive. It's a good tool and has a windows version. I suggest it because it worked for me when I had to create a Linux USB drive in windows.  I can't promise it will work, but it can't hurt to try.

#66 2021-09-16 20:09:41

Élisabeth

JWM-Kit wrote:

I guess I'm late to the conversation, but might I suggest using Balena Etcher to write the flash drive. It's a good tool and has a windows version. I suggest it because it worked for me when I had to create a Linux USB drive in windows.  I can't promise it will work, but it can't hurt to try.

Late to the party but I tried out of curiosity:

Chimeara netinstall | Balena Etcher|  Secure Boot Access Denied error

#67 2021-09-21 14:56:12

Élisabeth

Just to conclude this saga:

I was able to boot from my Devuan USB stick as described in this post - if and if only the Debian USB stick was present in another USB port.

I was able to install Devuan without problems using an EFI partitioning scheme.

As a matter of curiosity, I just created a USB installation drive with  dd under Devuan.

dd if=/home/elisabeth/Downloads/devuan_chimaera_4.0.beta-20210913_amd64_netinstall.iso of=/dev/sdb1 bs=1M 

But just like with all the USB tools I had created on Windows,  my PC couldn't boot from this either.

#68 2021-09-21 17:17:05

Camtaf

Strange behaviour - presumably you did try both USB ports with it - so very strange behaviour from your 'new' laptop.

EDIT: Just noticed, you were putting the image file onto sdb1 - it should be sdb - the disk, not a partition! smile

Last edited by Camtaf (2021-09-21 17:18:56)

#69 2021-09-21 18:27:39

Élisabeth

Camtaf wrote:

Just noticed, you were putting the image file onto sdb1 - it should be sdb - the disk, not a partition!

creating the output on sdb caused Secure Boot Access Denied error
creating the output on sdb1 caused the boot request to be ignored

I tried all three USB ports.

Anyway, Devuan is running on the PC.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get there!

#70 2021-09-21 21:53:52

golinux
Administrator

@Élisabeth . . . your tenacity is quite extraordinary!  Congratulations!

#71 2021-09-22 09:14:17

PedroReina
Website

golinux wrote:

+1

Still, I would like to know what the hell is going on the Élisabeth laptop. I've been intrigued since her first messages (but unable to help) and I feel that still nobody of us really knows what is happening. May be a bug in BIOS firmware? I said that just like a curiosity beause life is short and Devuan is already running in Élisabeth computer.

#72 2021-09-22 09:23:56

Camtaf

I agree, it must be computer BIOS/UEFI firmware at fault - remind me never to buy one of those! sad

#73 2021-09-22 13:12:13

JWM-Kit
Website

Camtaf wrote:

I agree, it must be computer BIOS/UEFI firmware at fault - remind me never to buy one of those! sad

Maybe the firmware depends on SystemD  lol  ( For those with no sense of humor it was a joke )

I also suspect the laptop's firmware. I wonder if an update is available. On the other hand we can not ignore that the Debian flash drive did work while the Devuan drive did not. Maybe Debian has worked some magic to get around the issue.  Seems to be a cat and mouse game.

A personal testimony:  I've had nothing but success with Lenovo laptops . . .but then again the first thing I do is change settings in the bios, which OP is unable to do in this situation.  That does make a big difference.

#74 2021-09-27 13:27:43

Élisabeth

golinux wrote:

Thank you! It's often been remarked upon by co-workers, and saved a couple of projects.

I could have had Debian on day one and to be honest it probably wouldn't have made an iota of a difference to my life as the end user that I am now.
But it became a matter of principle
a) not to give up b) to support free software

Last edited by Élisabeth (2021-09-27 13:44:56)

#75 2021-09-27 13:37:32

Élisabeth

Camtaf wrote:

I've had positive experiences with previous Lenovos. But predecessor rmodels didn't have secure boot nor were they password protected.

I'm just wondering how the Debian USB stick was created. Why did it start no problem.

But I have to move on to complete my set-up.
I'll need a bit more assistance with a few niggles - but they're just due to lack of experience on my side.

Board footer