#1 2021-06-13 02:40:57

JSM
Website

The open source crisis?

Are there any? And if so, what is it?

First two articles that deal with open-source and crisis, in different ways:

https://tomtunguz.com/open-source-cloud … ty-crisis/

https://www.linuxadictos.com/en/la-gest … ierto.html

Risks and opportunities, as you can see. But I'm not an entrepreneur and I'm not a world saver either, thank God!

Linux father Linus had a wonderful idea! He did it wonderfully! But unfortunately he made it freely available to everyone. Sure, because he's a good guy, no question about it! But the result is really critical. How it started:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

"Open" versus "free" versus "free and open"

Open source development projects are positive. There are some that really impress me, like gimp and musescore! As a user, I experienced the second almost from the start, even before the first official version. And I still use it today, it's great! Of course, I am also impressed by some Linux distributions, but not by others. But everyone has their preferences.

So far everything is fine. But now comes the problem. How many Linux distributions and derivatives are there? It should be 5, maybe a maximum of 10. But unfortunately it really is a crisis! No, I don't mind if everyone thinks he have to make his own distribution. Should he, if he doesn't know how else to spend his life meaningfully. But it bothers me that as a user I have to search for the good distributors in this pile of "crap" for days or months! This is what makes life difficult for us as a user!

And what about the applications? The same problem. In a few areas the matter is clear and there is a good one and maybe 3 others who will eventually die again. In other areas there are dozens or even more! What for? And if you choose one that is not that good, you won't get any support! Always the same argument: we are all volunteers and our time is limited. Ok, then just delete the project again. It's very easy!

Open source is good, but it needs more discipline! Yes, open-source requires more discipline than a company's proprietary product! Why? Because the company fires you if you do badly. Not with open source! Therefore, open source needs more discipline. But because it is open and free, everyone who is incapable thinks he has to do a project now ... for example a wikifarm!

Is it difficult to do a wikifarm? No. You need a wiki software (MediaWiki for example), you need a free hoster and you need a logo and a "code of conduct" for the user ... and you are a little king! And there are so many who would like to be little kings but are not. You can call it egoism, or egocentricity, or narcissism, or whatever. But it is definitely not good. Because these people have everything they need to run a wikifarm, just one thing not: discipline! And so the project soon becomes a trap for hundreds or thousands of users. All delivered to some "experts" who are not.

Alternative? Sure, host it yourself. Sure, so even more "little kings". Where is this going? To chaos. Do we want to go there? No.

Do we want such "little kings" in the open-source movement? No. Do we want them in the social counseling center? No. Do we want them in the hospital? No. Do we want them in the police? No. Do we want them in Washington D.C. in the "White House", or in Buenos Aires in the "Pink House"? No. But why the hell are these psychopaths in all these places anyway?

Because psychopaths have very special mental abilities to sneak in everywhere, always with the same tricks and the same empty words!

There are two books on this that I would like to recommend here. No, not about Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Franco, Peron and whatever they were called. There are two other books, one very old and the other fairly new:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_(Plato)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm

I'm afraid one day we will have to destroy these psychopaths ... or the psychopaths will destroy us!

Here is a link to a somewhat special website about an international, pagan, nazi, feminist sect, with probably a few hundred million members! No, they are not "holy", they are psychopathic!

http://jsm.6te.net/anderes/hagia-en.html

And I will now not go on writing now about God and the devil, anyway that is the point!

Have a nice Sunday and God bless you! Amen!

#2 2021-06-13 03:42:30

zapper

Re: The open source crisis?

JSM wrote:

Are there any? And if so, what is it?

First two articles that deal with open-source and crisis, in different ways:

https://tomtunguz.com/open-source-cloud … ty-crisis/

https://www.linuxadictos.com/en/la-gest … ierto.html

Risks and opportunities, as you can see. But I'm not an entrepreneur and I'm not a world saver either, thank God!

Linux father Linus had a wonderful idea! He did it wonderfully! But unfortunately he made it freely available to everyone. Sure, because he's a good guy, no question about it! But the result is really critical. How it started:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

"Open" versus "free" versus "free and open"

Open source development projects are positive. There are some that really impress me, like gimp and musescore! As a user, I experienced the second almost from the start, even before the first official version. And I still use it today, it's great! Of course, I am also impressed by some Linux distributions, but not by others. But everyone has their preferences.

So far everything is fine. But now comes the problem. How many Linux distributions and derivatives are there? It should be 5, maybe a maximum of 10. But unfortunately it really is a crisis! No, I don't mind if everyone thinks he have to make his own distribution. Should he, if he doesn't know how else to spend his life meaningfully. But it bothers me that as a user I have to search for the good distributors in this pile of "crap" for days or months! This is what makes life difficult for us as a user!

And what about the applications? The same problem. In a few areas the matter is clear and there is a good one and maybe 3 others who will eventually die again. In other areas there are dozens or even more! What for? And if you choose one that is not that good, you won't get any support! Always the same argument: we are all volunteers and our time is limited. Ok, then just delete the project again. It's very easy!

Open source is good, but it needs more discipline! Yes, open-source requires more discipline than a company's proprietary product! Why? Because the company fires you if you do badly. Not with open source! Therefore, open source needs more discipline. But because it is open and free, everyone who is incapable thinks he has to do a project now ... for example a wikifarm!

Is it difficult to do a wikifarm? No. You need a wiki software (MediaWiki for example), you need a free hoster and you need a logo and a "code of conduct" for the user ... and you are a little king! And there are so many who would like to be little kings but are not. You can call it egoism, or egocentricity, or narcissism, or whatever. But it is definitely not good. Because these people have everything they need to run a wikifarm, just one thing not: discipline! And so the project soon becomes a trap for hundreds or thousands of users. All delivered to some "experts" who are not.

Alternative? Sure, host it yourself. Sure, so even more "little kings". Where is this going? To chaos. Do we want to go there? No.

Do we want such "little kings" in the open-source movement? No. Do we want them in the social counseling center? No. Do we want them in the hospital? No. Do we want them in the police? No. Do we want them in Washington D.C. in the "White House", or in Buenos Aires in the "Pink House"? No. But why the hell are these psychopaths in all these places anyway?

Because psychopaths have very special mental abilities to sneak in everywhere, always with the same tricks and the same empty words!

There are two books on this that I would like to recommend here. No, not about Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Franco, Peron and whatever they were called. There are two other books, one very old and the other fairly new:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_(Plato)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm

I'm afraid one day we will have to destroy these psychopaths ... or the psychopaths will destroy us!

Here is a link to a somewhat special website about an international, pagan, nazi, feminist sect, with probably a few hundred million members! No, they are not "holy", they are psychopathic!

http://jsm.6te.net/anderes/hagia-en.html

And I will now not go on writing now about God and the devil, anyway that is the point!

Have a nice Sunday and God bless you! Amen!

Yep, evil indeed tries to sneak in, and fool the masses...

Honestly, the last part you say about the psychopaths needing to be destroyed, some part of me agrees with you, but on the other hand, they need to be thoroughly disgraced or the problem will come back, also, I don't support people like trump anymore then people like Biden... but I can tell you, I dislike the side of lunacy more than the, just enough side, always.

What we need is people who want to bring bold brave good change in power, Bernie Sanders in my opinion goes in that direction mostly, but not nearly as much as he should.  But yeah, he is the closest anyone can find.

Honestly, I don't like extremists, haters and cheaters, but it seems like they find their way into places that are the opposite of where they belong all the time.

People who are evil/haters, extremists and cheaters, belong in one of three places:

Jail
Mental Hospital
Or without power to control anyone via power whether it be corporations or government.

I hope our world can start to distance itself from these evildoers, God be willing, but unfortunately he works through people, thus it may take a very long time.

May he have mercy on our souls...

God knows we need it...

Have a good one!

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#3 2021-06-13 11:55:45

blackhole

"But unfortunately he made it freely available to everyone"

This argument is nonsensical. You're arguing that he should have made it proprietary?

"How many Linux distributions and derivatives are there? It should be 5, maybe a maximum of 10. But unfortunately it really is a crisis!"

"But it bothers me that as a user I have to search for the good distributors in this pile of "crap" for days or months! This is what makes life difficult for us as a user!"

Choice isn't a bad thing. You're essentially asking people not to release their distributions so that you have less options. More nonsense.

#4 2021-06-13 12:08:45

alphalpha

JSM wrote:

But now comes the problem. How many Linux distributions and derivatives are there? It should be 5, maybe a maximum of 10. But unfortunately it really is a crisis! No, I don't mind if everyone thinks he have to make his own distribution. Should he, if he doesn't know how else to spend his life meaningfully.

i like the fact that there are tons of distros out there

JSM wrote:

But it bothers me that as a user I have to search for the good distributors in this pile of "crap" for days or months! This is what makes life difficult for us as a user!

it is really not that difficult, after all the differences are not always that big

the only crysis i see, is with those people who want to decide what other people use

#5 2021-06-13 12:38:44

zapper

blackhole wrote:

"But unfortunately he made it freely available to everyone"

This argument is nonsensical. You're arguing that he should have made it proprietary?

"How many Linux distributions and derivatives are there? It should be 5, maybe a maximum of 10. But unfortunately it really is a crisis!"

"But it bothers me that as a user I have to search for the good distributors in this pile of "crap" for days or months! This is what makes life difficult for us as a user!"

Choice isn't a bad thing. You're essentially asking people not to release their distributions so that you have less options. More nonsense.

You do have a point there regarding choice. Though actually, I think the real problem, is corporations like redhat trying to ruin linux with their dbus, systemd and other crap and general bloating.

They have done quite a job infecting linux with bs.

smh...

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#6 2021-06-13 17:15:49

golinux
Administrator

I'm beginning to wish this forum had an ignore option . . .

JSM . . . please take it elsewhere.  This is basically a technical forum with this space to socialize.  Please don't pollute it with the insanity that is invading all corners of the web.  Especially since you are contributing nothing of value to Devuan.

Please familiarize yourself with this forum's (almost) No Code of Conduct

Your inappropriate post has been moved to Admin.

#7 2021-06-13 18:50:27

JSM
Website

@golinux

It's sad that you don't want to see the truth and that you don't want to let others see it either. Why? I can only guess. And where is my answer to @zapper now? You didn't delete his post. Censorship? Freedom? Or what? You have to choose.

God bless!

#8 2021-06-13 19:18:54

golinux
Administrator

@JSM . . . In case you're wondering, the decision was not unilateral.  Feel free to contribute to the technical areas of this forum but please share your "truth" where it is relevant and can be better appreciated.

Your post was in no way a response to what  zapper wrote.
[edit] I was looking at the wrong post.

#9 2021-06-14 00:12:39

JSM
Website

@golinux

Recently someone wrote to me who has a lot of life experience:

The "I" is just a kaleidoscope of data coming and going but has no substance.

I'm afraid he's wrong. The "I" has a lot of substance and it can become very dominant, especially when the "I" stands for ideology. I like Buddhism in general, but it brings the danger of nihilism. One has to be very clear and sure not to cross the line.

My reply to @zapper was quite relevant. After all, @zapper is a supporter of the BLM. And yet we were able to communicate, even if I think to differentiate between black life and non-black life is at least nonsense, if not racism. It's a shame that the communication has now been blocked by your "I". It was an opportunity.

God bless!

#10 2021-06-14 00:38:42

golinux
Administrator

You are like a 6 year old child pushing limits.  And then when the hammer drops you whine and think you are a victim.  My advice would be to just stop arguing.  It serves no purpose but to illustrate your willfulness and depth of misunderstanding.  You are very clever at twisting things to support your ideology but please don't embarrass yourself further because you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Here . . . I'll stop it for you . . .

Board footer