The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-24 16:44:27

Caluser2000
Member
Registered: 2018-04-24
Posts: 33  

Beowolf

Replace my old Mint 17.3 installation with a netinstall of Beowolf 32-bit. I'm very with the outcome. A lot snappier. Well done devs.

Offline

#2 2020-09-24 17:50:36

Vernon
Member
Registered: 2020-07-19
Posts: 89  

Re: Beowolf

Congrats! I had a similar experience switching my 32bit netbook from Fedora to Devuan with an LXQt desktop.  Which desktop and Window manager are you using?

Offline

#3 2020-09-24 18:21:47

brocashelm
Member
Registered: 2020-06-29
Posts: 59  

Re: Beowolf

I stuck with 18.3 for the longest time because I could still boot with Upstart (Systemd couldn't be removed successfully). I moved over to Devuan and "Mintified" it to the point where I don't even look back now.


"In a Time of Universal Deceit — Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act" | George Orwell
Cthulhu 2020 | No Lives Matter

Offline

#4 2020-09-24 19:21:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,139  
Website

Re: Beowolf

brocashelm wrote:

I moved over to Devuan and "Mintified" it

You removed the security repositories? Not sure that's wise... [/joke]

@OP: good choice.


Black Lives Matter

Offline

#5 2020-09-24 19:45:19

brocashelm
Member
Registered: 2020-06-29
Posts: 59  

Re: Beowolf

Some of us like to live on the edge... wink

Last edited by brocashelm (2020-09-24 19:46:11)


"In a Time of Universal Deceit — Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act" | George Orwell
Cthulhu 2020 | No Lives Matter

Offline

#6 2020-09-25 07:56:16

PedroReina
Member
From: Madrid, Spain
Registered: 2019-01-13
Posts: 157  
Website

Re: Beowolf

brocashelm wrote:

Some of us like to live on the edge... wink

In all your systems? Wow smile

Offline

#7 2020-09-25 14:22:09

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,139  
Website

Re: Beowolf

Well actually my lame attempt at humour was a dig at Mint's atrociously poor security support: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments … inux_mint/

The OP is wise to move on from that crapfest.


Black Lives Matter

Offline

#8 2020-09-25 16:13:51

brocashelm
Member
Registered: 2020-06-29
Posts: 59  

Re: Beowolf

PedroReina wrote:
brocashelm wrote:

Some of us like to live on the edge... wink

In all your systems? Wow smile

By switching to Ceres. Way better and no less stable than Beowulf on a good day. Chimaera did give me problems, though. Perhaps the reality is LTS-based systems generally suck and rolling releases are the way to go. I like not having to worry about doing another major system upgrade ever again.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Well actually my lame attempt at humour was a dig at Mint's atrociously poor security support: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments … inux_mint/

The OP is wise to move on from that crapfest.

It's just a newbie's first distro that can then be used to level up to something else when it's time. What Ubuntu should've been (at the very least) and not nearly as much of a joke as Pop!_OS or the "popular" MX GNU/Linux.

Last edited by brocashelm (2020-09-25 16:16:34)


"In a Time of Universal Deceit — Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act" | George Orwell
Cthulhu 2020 | No Lives Matter

Offline

#9 2020-09-25 21:25:01

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,139  
Website

Re: Beowolf

What's wrong with MX? I'm not a fan of the forum administrators but the developers seem to do a pretty good job catering for GUI-loving n00bs.


Black Lives Matter

Offline

#10 2020-09-25 22:28:12

brocashelm
Member
Registered: 2020-06-29
Posts: 59  

Re: Beowolf

I know this is just going to derail the thread (I'll stop after this post, so make of it what you will), but I was more or less referring to how in the heck they are "popular", when I barely know any GNU/Linux user who has that OS as their daily driver, newbie or experienced. I could understand some exceptions, but the "number one on DistroWatch" thing just seems like a meme.

Also, isn't Systemd now included to some extent (source)?

Nonetheless, I appreciate the efforts of people like Steven Pusser who port and maintain packages not currently supported by Debian upstream.


"In a Time of Universal Deceit — Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act" | George Orwell
Cthulhu 2020 | No Lives Matter

Offline

#11 2020-09-25 23:32:03

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 2,074  

Re: Beowolf

brocashelm wrote:

I know this is just going to derail the thread (I'll stop after this post, so make of it what you will), but I was more or less referring to how in the heck they are "popular", when I barely know any GNU/Linux user who has that OS as their daily driver, newbie or experienced. I could understand some exceptions, but the "number one on DistroWatch" thing just seems like a meme.

Also, isn't Systemd now included to some extent (source)?

Nonetheless, I appreciate the efforts of people like Steven Pusser who port and maintain packages not currently supported by Debian upstream.

systemd has always been available in MX:

https://mxlinux.org/wiki/system/systemd/

https://mxlinux.org/blog/about-mx-19-and-systemd/

Offline

#12 2020-09-28 19:57:42

Caluser2000
Member
Registered: 2018-04-24
Posts: 33  

Re: Beowolf

I don't find Mint any better or worse than any other distrobution quite frankly.

This whole my distro is better than your distro thing is just plain bull shit.

Last edited by Caluser2000 (2020-09-28 19:59:39)

Offline

#13 2020-09-29 18:28:34

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2019-03-24
Posts: 1,139  
Website

Re: Beowolf

Caluser2000 wrote:

I don't find Mint any better or worse than any other distrobution quite frankly.

That's not what you said in the OP tongue

Caluser2000 wrote:

This whole my distro is better than your distro thing is just plain bull shit.

Well, yes — all opinions are bullshit big_smile


Black Lives Matter

Offline

#14 2020-09-30 12:23:01

fsmithred
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 1,643  

Re: Beowolf

Distrowatch ratings are based on the number of page views for each distro's summary page. That may not be a good indication of how many people actually use it. (Note: I know one person who does use MX.)

Offline

Board footer