The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-10 04:15:10

Roger
Website

Migration problem: network

I am experimenting with migration from Debian stretch to Devuan on a VirtualBox machine running on a Windows 10 laptop. I have a Debian machine there, and made a clone in order to test the migration process without damaging a working system (the whole point of virtual machines). Everything works well until reboot after the final dist-upgrade; on rebooting there is no longer a network connection.

In passing I should say I am impressed with the ease of the migration process; my test machine has only 430 Debian packages, essentially X11 and compilers, plus the standard utilities, and the process only required 69 upgraded packages. That suggests to me that where there is no systemd contamination, Debian packages are essentially left intact.

The virtual machine network connection is simply through dhcp connected directly to the laptop via NAT. For some strange reason, the adapter is called enp0s3 instead of eth0 which one might expect. I have not done much exploration of the problem yet, and the only things that occur to me are (a) a different adapter name, or (b) no running dhcp client. I assumed that the migration process does upgrade/replace the dhcp client.

I did not install wicd as the existing /etc/network/interfaces file is precisely what is needed, assuming the adapter is identified correctly. With only one connection to the network, it doesn't seem that a network manager is required.

Suggestions for fixing this problem would be much appreciated.

#2 2019-04-10 05:56:24

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Migration problem: network

Roger wrote:

the adapter is called enp0s3 instead of eth0

See https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch … face-names & https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwa … faceNames/

tl;dr: either substitute the new name in /etc/network/interfaces or add net.ifnames=0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub & run update-grub (as root).

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2019-04-10 09:44:53

fsmithred
Administrator

In Debian, udev names the interfaces as enp... as you show. To revert those to the old names, boot with net.ifnames=0. (This is not relevant in Devuan.)

In Devuan, eudev names the interfaces with the old names like eth0. To revert to the new names, boot with net.ifnames=1

#4 2019-04-10 15:53:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ Oops! Thanks for the correction.

@OP: sorry for the misinformation.

#5 2019-04-11 00:18:58

Roger
Website

Thanks for the help; I should have known, as I had dealt with the opposite problem when Debian upgraded from jessie to stretch.

All I needed to do was edit the interface name in /etc/network/interfaces and restart networking (now easy to do with the familiar SystemV).

I must repeat again how easy the migration process was; Devuan is obviously the way to go, and things are now arranged back in a familiar way.

#6 2019-04-12 16:34:09

crankypuss

Roger wrote:

Thanks for the help; I should have known, as I had dealt with the opposite problem when Debian upgraded from jessie to stretch.

I've forgotten, was it stretch that introduced systemd?  I've been falling back to jessie for years.

I recall having gotten Ubuntu oneiric (11.10) tweaked up just as i wanted it, then whatever their next version was, it went from their old startup code (maybe that was "upstart"?) straight to the dogs, and i think that was when they introduced systemd.

Trainees have to gain experience, but i hope the next set is less destructive in their enthusiasm.

#7 2019-04-12 17:04:45

PedroReina
Website

crankypuss wrote:

I've forgotten, was it stretch that introduced systemd?

No. It was Debian Jessie; this is why Devuan has a version called Jessie.

I have some boxes with Debian Jessie around. But what I hated was install a computer class with it (16 boxes). Systemd didnt work the way I wanted. So, I moved on. I'm here.

#8 2019-04-12 17:58:22

golinux
Administrator

crankypuss wrote:

I've forgotten, was it stretch that introduced systemd?  I've been falling back to jessie for years.

The first bits of systemd appeared in Wheezy.

#9 2019-04-12 18:10:21

crankypuss

golinux wrote:
crankypuss wrote:

LOL, wheezy is one of the versions i just deleted as a waste of space.  I'm running Devuan ascii, with backups on Debian jessie and Ubuntu oneiric, none of them have systemd as i'm reading it.  Ug like.

#10 2019-04-12 18:25:54

golinux
Administrator

crankypuss wrote:
golinux wrote:
crankypuss wrote:

LOL, wheezy is one of the versions i just deleted as a waste of space.  I'm running Devuan ascii, with backups on Debian jessie and Ubuntu oneiric, none of them have systemd as i'm reading it.  Ug like.

IIRC the bit was libsystemd0 not the full init.

#11 2019-04-12 18:28:39

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

It was possible to switch from sysvinit to systemd as PID1 in wheezy but sysvinit was the default.

Board footer