The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#326 2018-11-08 14:47:21

kekePower

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

HI all good folks.

Thank you so much MiyoLinux for this fast and awesome spin.

2 things I want to comment on.

1. Cryptsetup/installer isn't working 100%
2. Install doesn't rename user "miyo" to my username

1) I chose to encrypt my home disk. This works fine, but the setup doesn't complete. By this I mean it doesn't add the proper entry in /etc/fstab.
I had to add /dev/mapper/home_fs to /etc/fstab

2) I think this may be because I chose to encrypt /home, but the installation doesn't rename the "miyo" user to my username. On first or second reboot, I had to log in as root and rename the directory and everything went smoothly after that.

The boot time is awesome and enables me to get to work in mere seconds and with a little more tweaks I also hope to get better battery our this old-timer called Dell Latitude E6510.

Since I'm only running a Writer app (writeapp.co), I've disable all but one core and also disabled HT. Bought a new SSD and have turned down the brightness quite a lot. Still getting about 3+ hours of battery and am considering getting a bigger battery at a later time.

Again, thank you for all your great work.

Cheers,
kekePower

#327 2018-11-08 17:27:04

fsmithred
Administrator

kekePower: I'd like to see the installer log. (It should be in your home or else in /var/log). Paste it somewhere or email it to me. Encrypting the root, home and changing username should all work. If no, I need to know why, so I can fix it. Thanks.

#328 2018-11-08 17:59:14

kekePower

fsmithred wrote:

kekePower: I'd like to see the installer log. (It should be in your home or else in /var/log). Paste it somewhere or email it to me. Encrypting the root, home and changing username should all work. If no, I need to know why, so I can fix it. Thanks.

This is the installer_error.log

http://paste.debian.net/1050963/

I installed cryptsetup and loaded dm_mod before starting the installer.

Last edited by kekePower (2018-11-08 17:59:58)

#329 2018-11-08 18:10:53

kekePower

fsmithred wrote:

Hi again.

Also got an idea.

when the script installs the files, it uses rsync -av. If you use rsync -Hav it will, correctly, copy symlinks as well if there are any.

Cheers,
kekePower

#330 2018-11-09 08:26:48

MiyoLinux

Hi kekePower!

First...welcome to the forum! smile

Secondly...I'm sorry for the encryption situation. To be honest, I've never tried encrypting during installation. sad

Thirdly...thank you for the kind words and good report otherwise! smile

Since I'm being honest...even though I am a bit shady at times tongue  ... I can build a distro, but I rely on the expertise of others for being able to install what I make. As you noticed, fsmithred responded to your situation. He is a true wizard in all that he does. In fact, he is the person behind the installer that I use for Miyo. I just leech off of him. tongue

Thank you for reporting the issue. Hopefully, my editing of refractainstaller configuration files didn't lend to the problem...

To fsmithred: I use an older version of the installer if that helps...base=9.3.3  >>>  GUI=9.2.3

Perhaps it's time for me to move to newer versions?

kekePower,

Thank you again! I'm very happy to know that you're happy with the system. I do put a lot of time and effort into trying to create something that will be pleasing to others. Sometimes I succeed, and sometimes I don't! tongue  Most importantly, I am so very glad that you were able to fix your situation.

I find it very interesting that you're from Norway. That is one of the places that I would most love to visit one day. smile

Take care!

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#331 2018-11-09 17:01:55

fsmithred
Administrator

@kekePower: The log ended after the first rsync command, so I can't tell what happened after that. I've seen that happen before, but I don't know the cause. I'll have to try an encrypted install to see if that's what does it.

-H preserves hard links. I don't know if I have any of those. Symlinks are already handled properly (e.g. /vmlinuz and /initrd.img work right.) I've also considered adding -X and -A for xattr and acl. I might make the rsync command more configurable than it already is.

@miyo: Yes, newer versions of the installer are better. Look for 9.4.3 soon, and then 9.5.0 for beowulf and beyond.

fsmithred (not a wizard. I just kick it around until it does what I want.)

#332 2018-11-09 17:26:21

kekePower

fsmithred wrote:

fsmithred (not a wizard. I just kick it around until it does what I want.)

Don't we all big_smile Hehe...

#333 2018-11-10 12:53:42

fsmithred
Administrator

Found it - in the changelog for refractainstaller-gui 9.4.0:

Fixed bug: encrypted /home gets incorrect fstab entry

#334 2018-11-21 07:46:14

MiyoLinux

For any Miyo Modern users...

I recently discovered that Deepin now has Deepin Dark icons. They work much better if you're using the Deepin Dark theme (or another dark theme). See how to get (and install) them in the video below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw5mkvHS9PM&t=36s

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#335 2018-12-18 11:49:23

MiyoLinux

Instead of MiyoLinux, our 8-year old son calls it MizdoLux.

...might be on to something!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! tongue

#336 2018-12-19 07:42:06

zephyr
Website

Miyo wrote:

Maybe it's time to introduce the youngster to a build-system, after all, he has a name for it!! cool

Can't get my oldest grandson away from his gaming long enough to teach him, love to! smile

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#337 2018-12-19 09:09:03

MiyoLinux

zephyr wrote:

Miyo wrote:

Maybe it's time to introduce the youngster to a build-system, after all, he has a name for it!! cool

Can't get my oldest grandson away from his gaming long enough to teach him, love to! smile

cheers

zephyr

So many distros have "code-names" for their releases...so I'm thinking I might just have to let him come up with "code-names" for Miyo releases...

I'm pleased to announce the latest release of MiyoLinux...code-named MizdoLux.

big_smile tongue

He's pretty good at making up words. LOL!!!

#338 2019-01-24 21:48:08

elheikki

I noticed there is a 2019-Release folder on sourceforge's miyo files page.
Is there a new release coming soon or is this just a placeholder for future?

I'm about to install a miyo system, but should I hold on for new version shortly?

#339 2019-01-24 23:33:15

MiyoLinux

elheikki wrote:

I noticed there is a 2019-Release folder on sourceforge's miyo files page.
Is there a new release coming soon or is this just a placeholder for future?

I'm about to install a miyo system, but should I hold on for new version shortly?

Hi elheikki!

Thanks for your interest and the question. smile

The 2019 folder was a place holder, but I'll be releasing new .isos this weekend. However, they will be slightly different than previous releases; in that, they won't use obmenu-generator for the menu. I'm calling this release Miyo-Basic (code-named Addy).

It's more geared toward those who prefer to edit their menu manually. The "Addy" code-name comes from an Openbox enthusiast who was kind enough to allow me to include some of his GTK themes, window themes, and tint2 themes. I only used a sampling of what he has to offer.

By default, the applications menu is dynamic, but I include instructions on how to change to a completely manually edited menu in the Release Notes.

So, the choice is up to you...if you prefer obmenu-generator, then use one of the previous releases. smile

This will probably be my last release based on ASCII...hoping to start working on Beowulf soon. smile

Here's a link to an introduction to the upcoming release for this weekend...I've made a few changes to the themes and icons used in the video though.

EDITED! Put a link to the wrong video! It's fixed now... tongue

https://youtu.be/ezhLzIp4NYw

Thanks again!

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2019-01-24 23:45:15)

#340 2019-01-30 10:02:37

MiyoLinux

I don't know how, but (here on the forum) I failed to announce the release of Miyo-Basic (code-named Addy)! sad

Miyo-Basic (code-named Addy) is now available...and has been for over a week now... tongue

Here's a condensed overview from the Release Notes...

Why Miyo-Basic?

This is for those who prefer to configure their own menu, so I have provided two Openbox menus to get you started. One that's completely manual, and one that has a dynamic Applications menu (the default menu). The choice is up to you. More information is given in the Release Notes.

Why Code-named Addy?

Addy is a Linux enthusiast who produces some of the most attractive themes that I've seen. I contacted Addy and asked for permission to use some of his work in a MiyoLinux build. He graciously allowed me to do so! I have included just a taste of his work.

PLEASE NOTE: THERE ARE NO VIRTUALBOX GUEST ADDITIONS INCLUDED IN MIYOLINUX.

ATTENTION: there are three .isos available. The i686 (32bit) and x86_64 (64bit) .isos are intended for use on BIOS installations.

The x86_64-EFI (64bit) is intended for EFI installations.

If installing the EFI version, please pay close attention to the instructions given in each window.

Live User Information:

Username = miyo
Password = miyo
Root password= miyo

It is available at...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyoli … ase/Basic/

Here's a video to help users get acquainted with it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7dmMh_pZsI&t=661s

#341 2019-01-30 16:09:03

golinux
Administrator

Well done, Miyo!!

#342 2019-02-02 18:38:25

MiyoLinux

Thank you ma'am! smile

#343 2019-03-30 18:36:11

MiyoLinux

Hi everyone...well, it's finally ready...

Miyo-Compiz (code-named Radac) is now available. Available in i686, x86_64, and x86_64-EFI versions. Available for download here...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyoli … se/Compiz/

Here is a really, really, really professional video overview...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELvYycR2nZA

...and here's the readme from Sourceforge...

Have fun! smile

PLEASE NOTE: YOU WILL BOOT INTO A LOGIN SCREEN IN THE LIVE ENVIRONMENT. CHOOSE THE SESSION (OPENBOX OR COMPIZ), AND THEN FILL IN THE PASSWORD IN ALL LOWERCASE LETTERS. THE PASSWORD IS...

miyo

Please be aware that this build is based on Devuan beowulf; as such, it is still considered as a "testing" release at the time of this build. Please be aware that you may (or may not) experience some issues due to that fact.

SPECIAL NOTE FOR NON-ENGLISH INSTALLATIONS

Hopefully, this release will make it easier for users who install MiyoLinux in a language/locale other than English. I have included all locales in this build; however, a user will still need to install the appropriate "task" packages for their language/locale.

CONDENSED NOTES ON THIS RELEASE

1. Miyo-Compiz uses sddm as the display manager                
2. Miyo-Compiz uses elogind instead of consolekit
3. New text editor
4. PulseAudio and Pavucontrol are not included in this build
5. How to enable sound with alsa if you have more than one sound card
6. How to activate the firewall with UFW
7. Update Notifier
8. Regarding Hibernate in the Exit menu
9. Miyo Accessories are in the "Other" menu category for this build
10. PCManFM (as root) and Customize look and feel (as root) now use pkexec
11. Included the papirus-folders script to change Papirus folder colors
12. The menu on the panel is jgmenu
13. The right-click menu in the Compiz session is pmenu
14. The Openbox right-click menu
15. The decorative prompt in lxterminal

Feel free to download the full Release Notes for more information on each of the above items.

The software is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and noninfringement. In no event shall the authors or copyright holders be liable for any claim, damages or other liability, whether in an action of contract, tort or otherwise, arising from, out of or in connection with the software or the use or other dealings in the software.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2019-03-30 19:41:46)

#344 2019-03-30 19:16:59

golinux
Administrator

@Miyo . . . that video link starts in the middle not at the beginning!  Get rid of the &t=1052s . . .

Now off to watch it!!!

#345 2019-03-30 19:38:46

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

@Miyo . . . that video link starts in the middle not at the beginning!  Get rid of the &t=1052s . . .

Now off to watch it!!!

...I just like to do things a little differently. LOLOLOLOL!!! tongue

Fixed!

#346 2019-03-31 02:11:56

darry1966

Nice to see back in the saddle.  don't let anything kill your passion.:)

#347 2019-03-31 20:09:04

catprints

Not my style but the video was Great Fun! lol

"The obstacle is the path."

#348 2019-04-01 04:42:20

MiyoLinux

darry1966 wrote:

Nice to see back in the saddle.  don't let anything kill your passion.:)

Thanks darry1966. smile

catprints wrote:

Not my style but the video was Great Fun! lol

Thanks catprints. Not my style either...this build was at a user's request. I personally use the Openbox session on it, but periodically use the Compiz session when I'm feeling frisky. tongue

Glad my sense of humor didn't turn everyone off! LOLOLOL!!! big_smile tongue

#349 2019-04-01 15:38:42

KatolaZ

Keep the good work MIYO. Passionate people move this shitty world forward ;-)

#350 2019-04-02 08:08:52

MiyoLinux

KatolaZ wrote:

Keep the good work MIYO. Passionate people move this shitty world forward ;-)

Thank you sir.

Board footer