The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-06 07:12:00

Somewhat Reticent
Member
Registered: 2017-04-06
Posts: 103  

Packages from beyond Dev1 repos

How should packages from other projects (outside Dev1 repositories) be brought in?
For example, (a dated version of) vlc is in-repo, but libdvdcss is (apparently) not.
[added 2017/APR/06] Other than AppImage, that is.

Last edited by Somewhat Reticent (2017-04-06 22:37:35)

Offline

#2 2017-04-06 14:42:29

fsmithred
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 2,998  

Re: Packages from beyond Dev1 repos

This might answer your questions about packaging for devuan:
https://git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgra … alkthrough

The package you're looking for appears to be in the backports repo.

Be careful with backports: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=32

$ aptitude show libdvdcss2
No current or candidate version found for libdvdcss2
Package: libdvdcss2
State: not a real package
Provided by: libdvd-pkg

$ apt-cache policy libdvd-pkg
libdvd-pkg:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.4.0-1-1~bpo8+1
  Version table:
     1.4.0-1-2 0
         90 http://us.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ ascii/contrib amd64 Packages
     1.4.0-1-1~bpo8+1 0
        100 http://packages.devuan.org/merged/ jessie-backports/contrib amd64 Packages

Offline

#3 2017-04-06 14:48:11

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 3,772  

Re: Packages from beyond Dev1 repos

Somewhat Reticent wrote:

How should packages from other projects (outside Dev1 repositories) be brought in?
For example, (a dated version of) vlc is in-repo, but libdvdcss is (apparently) not.

Use repos outside of Devuan's with great care.

I have libdvdcss2 installed from:

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org/ jessie main

You might also want to check out Steve Pusser's private repo.  It has always been a reliable and compatible source.  MX is also free of systemd! Here's his thread on FDN. 

Sometimes you can find things in the Devuan merged backports:

deb http://us.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie-backports non-free contrib main

Offline

#4 2017-04-06 14:58:33

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 3,772  

Re: Packages from beyond Dev1 repos

@fsmithred  . . . Looks like libdvd-pkg might be a 'free' version of libdvdcss.  Do you have it in your setup and does it get the job done?

Offline

#5 2017-04-06 15:06:33

fsmithred
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 2,998  

Re: Packages from beyond Dev1 repos

Not installed. I have libdvdnav and libdvdread, but I can't remember the last time I tried watching a dvd.

Offline

#6 2017-04-06 22:43:46

Somewhat Reticent
Member
Registered: 2017-04-06
Posts: 103  

Re: Packages from beyond Dev1 repos

"… Looks like libdvd-pkg might be a 'free' version of libdvdcss…"
vlc and libdvdcss have always been Freed Open-Source software, As-Far-As-I-Know.
Some cartels bribe repressive regimes to suppress them, though.
libdvd-pkg automates downloading, compiling and installing (libdvdcss2 & libdvdcss-dev) from source - and optionally updating the same way.
…
I did get the libdvdcss2 binary from deb-multimedia.org to install, with whining about authentication.

Last edited by Somewhat Reticent (2017-04-06 22:45:41)

Offline

#7 2017-04-10 23:24:54

greenjeans
Member
Registered: 2017-04-07
Posts: 1,770  
Website

Re: Packages from beyond Dev1 repos

I get mine straight from VLC, they have their own repo and you can do it that way, they provide a key and such. But I just download the .deb and dpkg it in. I include it in all my iso's. Very seldom watch a DVD on laptop though, but some folks do. But still won't work right unless I load proprietary drivers (fglrx on this machine), playback is choppy with a lot of dropped frames.

Last edited by greenjeans (2017-04-10 23:27:57)


https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/ Vuu-do GNU/Linux, Devuan-based Openbox systems.
Devuan 6 mate-mini iso, pure Devuan, 100% no-vuu-do. Now with Xlibre as well.
Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate
https://devuanusers.com/ Apps source : https://git.devuan.org/greenjeans

Offline

#8 2017-06-13 06:32:39

Somewhat Reticent
Member
Registered: 2017-04-06
Posts: 103  

Re: Packages from beyond Dev1 repos

greenjeans wrote:

I get mine straight from VLC, they have their own repo and you can do it that way, they provide a key and such. … playback is choppy with a lot of dropped frames.

If cleaning smudges and scratches isn't enough, I find playback smoother if I expand the amount of time to buffer, or just rip to better storage with, say, handbrake.
…
My local library has DVDs.
…
yikes Can you get version 3.x at videolan.org?

Offline

Board footer