The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-10-20 23:39:20

aitor
Website

Re: GNUinOS - Libre

zapper wrote:

Is it using both runit and runit-init?

I love that combo and am using it on my x230 thinkpad, and yes it is faster than openrc. smile

It does use both runit and runit-init, but most of the services are still managed in the classic way.

zapper wrote:

I would love to see Gnuinos be like a deblobbed devuan like trisquel is for ubuntu, only ten thousand fold better.  trisquel still has a lot of freedom issues, rust, java and redhat's bs services.

Yes, the freedom flaws related with rust and cargo due to IceCat, as you know from the Hyperbola forum.

If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

#27 2020-10-21 01:00:26

zapper

aitor wrote:
zapper wrote:

Is it using both runit and runit-init?

I love that combo and am using it on my x230 thinkpad, and yes it is faster than openrc. smile

It does use both runit and runit-init, but most of the services are still managed in the classic way.

zapper wrote:

I would love to see Gnuinos be like a deblobbed devuan like trisquel is for ubuntu, only ten thousand fold better.  trisquel still has a lot of freedom issues, rust, java and redhat's bs services.

Yes, the freedom flaws related with rust and cargo due to IceCat, as you know from the Hyperbola forum.

Excellent to hear, is there a guide to migrate from devuan to gnuinos and is it almost as stable as devuan?

I would love an unbranded palemoon even more than even iceweasel-uxp, one that is set to reasonable privacy settings. 

And yes, I much prefer Hyperbola's way of doing things usually. I dislike anything to do with redhat, but for now some stuff needd.

If HyperbolaBSD is ever successful, I hope you or someone else will make their own spin. heh... I like to have wine, and that is not going to be available on HyperbolaBSD due to multilib security issues. For one of my laptops anyways... smile

That being said,  till that day comes of HyperbolaBSD being stable, I hope you will continue your tireless work. smile

Just a heads up though, I use the beowulf version of devuan

Last edited by zapper (2020-10-21 01:01:12)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#28 2022-03-09 17:00:48

andyprough

Just a note that the latest Chimeara and Daedalus ISO's have been uploaded over the past couple of weeks, presumably by @aitor. Very much appreciated, I am downloading and installing now.

#29 2022-03-09 20:05:24

zapper

andyprough wrote:

Just a note that the latest Chimeara and Daedalus ISO's have been uploaded over the past couple of weeks, presumably by @aitor. Very much appreciated, I am downloading and installing now.

Yep, I knew this like a month ago... sorry, I thought you did too.

That being said, updates have been somewhat problematic.  I think he needs to make a libre version of librewolf, ironic? yes, but it has better settings by default anyhow.

Also, icecat is too outdated/slow, to be any use...

I wish this wasn't the  case, but it is.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#30 2022-03-09 20:27:59

andyprough

zapper wrote:
andyprough wrote:

That being said, updates have been somewhat problematic.  I think he needs to make a libre version of librewolf, ironic? yes, but it has better settings by default anyhow.

Trisquel's abrowser is basically the constantly updated version of Icecat - anyone can install it on Devuan/GNUinOS with MagicBanana's little script: https://trisquel.info/en/forum/state-we … ent-164779

For 32-bit Devuan/GNUinOS, just make one small change to the script as I describe here: https://trisquel.info/en/forum/state-we … ent-165331

GNUinOS webpage warns us not to add outside repos, but I think in the case of abrowser we are OK because we are apt pinning all of Trisquel's other packages not to install.

Last edited by andyprough (2022-03-09 20:33:27)

#31 2022-03-18 00:42:03

zapper

andyprough wrote:
zapper wrote:
andyprough wrote:

Trisquel's abrowser is basically the constantly updated version of Icecat - anyone can install it on Devuan/GNUinOS with MagicBanana's little script: https://trisquel.info/en/forum/state-we … ent-164779

For 32-bit Devuan/GNUinOS, just make one small change to the script as I describe here: https://trisquel.info/en/forum/state-we … ent-165331

GNUinOS webpage warns us not to add outside repos, but I think in the case of abrowser we are OK because we are apt pinning all of Trisquel's other packages not to install.

Something interesting has happened of late... I don't know why, but I cannot enter their forums, only 7 possibilities exist I imagine:
1: They blocked my IP address
2: They only let members view the forum now
3: Trisquel has finally died... -_- Not sure if this will do any good for anyone...
4: They have been hacked
5: Their forums website is buggy right now
6: They are blocking certain useragents
7: Something else

I originally thought of three, but I think these are all possible,  but honestly, I think 1 and 2 and 4 are the most likely... unless they are working on their website...

More to the point, I cannot see any thread on their website...  within their forums, it all looks blank, its just rather...

Weird...

I will put it simply, as... 0 posts or threads on each category super weird.  Point being, something doesn't seem right...

Last edited by zapper (2022-03-18 00:46:08)

Peace Be With us All!

#32 2022-03-18 01:18:57

andyprough

zapper wrote:

Something interesting has happened of late... I don't know why, but I cannot enter their forums, only 7 possibilities exist I imagine:
3: Trisquel has finally died... -_- Not sure if this will do any good for anyone...

None of the above. It's this:
8. They are moving the forum to a new software and server, and it is currently down during the transition.

#33 2022-03-18 01:28:55

zapper

andyprough wrote:
zapper wrote:

None of the above. It's this:
8. They are moving the forum to a new software and server, and it is currently down during the transition.

So... something else

That was option 7.

Although, I didnt think that was it, for sure... good to know though!

Btw, do you know how to get alsa working in for it in devuan? I doubt you can with dbus requirement removed, especially for Hyperbola, but I don't use alsa or pipewire.

As a heads up! 

Thanks though, I am surprised they didn't put a notification about this anywhere on the current website, but ah well, it least I know now why.

smile

Peace Be With us All!

#34 2022-03-18 01:33:18

golinux
Administrator

Seems you've forgotten this is a GNUinOS - Libre thread not a Trisquel thread.

#35 2022-03-18 01:43:18

zapper

golinux wrote:

Seems you've forgotten this is a GNUinOS - Libre thread not a Trisquel thread.

Yeah, sorry bout that, I was making mention of this, because I wondered if I could put Abrowser on Devuan/Gnuinos

But that probably is not relevant enough due to the amount of odd stuff on this  thread... my bad...

Peace Be With us All!

#36 2022-03-18 03:43:00

andyprough

zapper wrote:

Btw, do you know how to get alsa working in for it in devuan? I doubt you can with dbus requirement removed, especially for Hyperbola, but I don't use alsa or pipewire.

Thanks though, I am surprised they didn't put a notification about this anywhere on the current website, but ah well, it least I know now why.

Ruben did put a notification a couple weeks ago.

My level of knowledge about how to make sound work with alsa is total crap. Sometimes I get lucky, sometimes not. If you are using GNUinOS, I'm assuming you already tried installing apulse and then doing "apulse abrowser"?

#37 2022-03-19 10:59:15

aitor
Website

zapper wrote:

I wondered if I could put Abrowser on Devuan/Gnuinos

I'll build abrowser for gnuinos daedalus. But, even being Rubén one the core developers of IceCat, I think that abrowser is just a rebranded firefox taken from ubuntu:

http://archive.trisquel.info/trisquel/p … f/firefox/

#38 2022-03-19 13:20:25

aitor
Website

zapper wrote:

is there a guide to migrate from devuan to gnuinos and is it almost as stable as devuan?

I did it today from devuan chimaera to gnuinos chimaera and it succeded. Add the repository of gnuinos to your sources.list:

deb http://packages.gnuinos.org/merged chimaera main
deb-src http://packages.gnuinos.org/merged chimaera main

deb http://packages.gnuinos.org/merged chimaera-security main
deb-src http://packages.gnuinos.org/merged chimaera-security main

deb http://packages.gnuinos.org/merged chimaera-updates main
deb-src http://packages.gnuinos.org/merged chimaera-updates main

Download the package containing the gnupg key:

$ wget http://packages.gnuinos.org/gnuinos/pool/main/g/gnuinos-keyring/gnuinos-keyring_2020.05.03_all.deb
$ sudo dpkg -i gnuinos-keyring_2020.05.03_all.deb

Update the repository and upgrade the system:

# apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

Install linux-libre and simple-netaid:

# apt-get install linux-image-5.10.0-11-amd64 simple-netaid-cdk

Optionally you can reboot with this kernel and remove the rest of the kernels. In doing so, you'll be able to reinstall linux-image-amd64

If you decide to install vdev, it's highly recommended to install also runit as service supervisor:

# apt-get install vdev libudev1-compat runit runit-init getty-run

To end with, here you are my suggested ifupdown configuration in /etc/network/interfaces:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

I cross my fingers smile

Last edited by aitor (2022-03-19 13:21:14)

#39 2022-04-23 05:38:55

zapper

Didn't work much last I checked, but thankfully,  seems the whole UXP situation has been fixed, so I don't need abrowser anymore...

Thank God...

Seems a problem was lifted recently...

smile

Peace Be With us All!

#40 2022-06-06 00:21:52

davidb
Website

Just tried to access the GNUinOS website.  "Site Unavailable" and currently suspended?  Anyone else seeing this?

#41 2022-06-06 07:30:31

aitor
Website

davidb wrote:

Just tried to access the GNUinOS website.  "Site Unavailable" and currently suspended?  Anyone else seeing this?

It'll be available in a few minutes, thanks.

#42 2022-06-06 07:39:02

aitor
Website

aitor wrote:
davidb wrote:

It'll be available in a few minutes, thanks.

Done smile

#43 2022-06-08 00:52:43

davidb
Website

aitor wrote:

Done smile

Cool!  big_smile

#44 2022-06-12 04:41:27

charliebrownau
Website

Gday

Is it possible to run commands or program that converts Dev1 into Gnuinos
without a complete reinstall

is the difference between dev1 and Gnuinos just the kernal being libre
or other stuff needed to change ?

#45 2022-06-13 07:51:08

aitor
Website

charliebrownau wrote:

Is it possible to run commands or program that converts Dev1 into Gnuinos
without a complete reinstall

No, such script doesn't exist. It might be a good idea to write something like this.

charliebrownau wrote:

is the difference between dev1 and Gnuinos just the kernel being libre
or other stuff needed to change ?

No. There are other differences besides the kernel, e.g. eudev, runit, initramfs, to name a few. So, whereas transitions from devuan to gnuinos should happen smoothly, doing things the other way around isn't so trivial. On the one hand, some packages like dbus need to be downgraded because keeping the versions of gnuinos may be problematic depending on the init system you are using; on the other hand, if you convert gnuinos into devuan from vdev, you'll break the system for sure. This conversion must be done always from eudev.

Maybe, i'll write a how-to soon. Thanks for your interest smile

#46 2022-06-14 03:51:38

charliebrownau
Website

Thanks for the good reply

You get a Kangaroo Thumbs up Approval

#47 2022-07-25 21:38:56

andyprough

I see there's a new version of GNUinos ISO's posted to the Chimaera live mirror today, both 32-bit (PAE and non-PAE) and 64-bit, with XFCE or openbox. https://www.gnuinos.org/mirror/chimaera/live/

I've tried the XFCE version, think I'll have a look at the openbox version this time.

#48 2022-07-25 23:26:57

aitor
Website

andyprough wrote:

I see there's a new version of GNUinos ISO's posted to the Chimaera live mirror today, both 32-bit (PAE and non-PAE) and 64-bit, with XFCE or openbox. https://www.gnuinos.org/mirror/chimaera/live/

I've tried the XFCE version, think I'll have a look at the openbox version this time.

Yes, I've fixed some issues related to Hopman.

On the other hand, I'm also looking at the following plugin for SpaceFM, the file manager included in the openbox version:

https://github.com/jpfleury/corbeille-spacefm

because it doesn't send files to the trash bin when you hit delete in the right click popup menu.

If you decide to install another file manager, you must indicate it in the files below:

• ~/.xmenurx

• ~/.hopmanrc

If they don't exist, you can create them and copy the content of the respective files located in /etc/default, modifying them for matching your installed programs.

#49 2022-11-08 20:51:32

shenzero123

hello
recent i am using gnuinos and i very interesting with it
because it have update new and fast than devuan(although it is devuan-based) and it use runit make default instead sysvinit. I tried download chimara but netinstall, desktop install and live install, it display false positive of mouse and it make i press false all software but with newest version daedalus, it wont. I tried and i comfortable with daedalus version but it have a issue. i cannot install it, because it dont have a guide, tutorial or installer anything in live version. and yeah with text install version i almost cannot see what is displaying on the screen sad
I will very happy if you can fix issue, thank you!
P.s: recently all linux distribution based debian/devuan almost dont have new update with lastest kernel 6.x, some will have, some wont but i am regular user, i just want kernel lts for stable to use for work and daily, with me lastest will not bestest LOL , sorry for my english :3

#50 2022-11-21 03:02:00

zapper

shenzero123 wrote:

hello
recent i am using gnuinos and i very interesting with it
because it have update new and fast than devuan(although it is devuan-based) and it use runit make default instead sysvinit. I tried download chimara but netinstall, desktop install and live install, it display false positive of mouse and it make i press false all software but with newest version daedalus, it wont. I tried and i comfortable with daedalus version but it have a issue. i cannot install it, because it dont have a guide, tutorial or installer anything in live version. and yeah with text install version i almost cannot see what is displaying on the screen sad
I will very happy if you can fix issue, thank you!
P.s: recently all linux distribution based debian/devuan almost dont have new update with lastest kernel 6.x, some will have, some wont but i am regular user, i just want kernel lts for stable to use for work and daily, with me lastest will not bestest LOL , sorry for my english :3

I had trouble last time I used daedalus too... to be fair.

Though it might be in beta still, it was last time I used it... last I checked.

smile

Peace Be With us All!

Board footer