You are not logged in.
This is great! The 2026.10.06 version checks all the boxes listed above. The netinsaller also works fine, I selected lxqt and s6 for a change and all went well. I thought I should give a try to the desktop installer, but it kept showing this error message during base system install on a VM:
Failure trying to run: chroot "/target" dpkg --force-overwrite --force-confold --skip-same-version --install
/var/cache/apt/archives/libudev1-compat_3.2.19+really3.2.14-1+genuen6u1.debThe log on tty4 also had:
installing libudev1-compat:amd64 would break libudev1:amd64 and deconfiguration is not permitted (--auto-deconfigure might help)Quick summary about the 2026.10.02 images on a VM:
✔️ runit+lxde
✔️ runit+xfce
✔️ openrc+lxde
❌ openrc+xfce: error while installing the system through text installer
The images keep rolling, now riding the 2026.09.26 OpenRC edition.
NOTE: on the xfce edition, the value for XkbLayout from /etc/default/keyboard gets parsed by the default Xkbmap session startup script, but the value for XkbVariant is ignored. I deactivated that startup script, so the keyboard conf file I created in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d gets parsed instead and all is flowing smoothly on genuen 6 Excalibur OpenRC+Xfce, version 2026.09.26.
Currently spinning the 2026.09.10 lxde ISO, and all is well with the default locale. The language chosen during install does not seem to infuse into the installed system, though. Rrunning update-locale and changing the value for LC_ALL helps.
The only thing I have not been able to do yet is to change the keyboard layout. I ran dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration and the /etc/default/keyboard file now reflects the chosen options. However, the keyboard layout only changed after adding the layout manager to the panel and selecting a different layout from there. This gets reset after logout, so I am trying to find a way to change it system-wide.
UPDATE: since setxkbmap only changes the layout for the current session, I created a configuration file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d in order to get X to grab the desired layout at startup. This (expectedly) also changes the keyboard layout for the user password prompt.
This is a very polished system, installing out of the box with encryption, booting and running like a breeze. And now indeed being able to switch from eudev to vdev and back at will. Thank you very much!
A follow-up from a previous discussion, I have noticed that ntpdate-debian works while ntpdate returns ntpdig: no eligible servers. I did not have time to experiment further with ntpdate yet, but I was thinking it may be related to running in a VM. I just run ntpdate-debian instead if needed.
UPDATE: ntpdate does not use config files, so it needs a server as argument: ntpdate pool.ntp.org works.
FURTHER UPDATE: the date/time does not need to be set manually on the 2026.09.11 images. Thank you Aitor!
As there is a 2026.08.14 image, I tried the xfce version and all works fine and smooth.
A minor glitch that I forgot to mention earlier, clicking on the directory menu in the panel right after install currently brings a popup with the following content:
Failed to open "/home/aitor".
Error when getting information for file "/home/aitor": No such file or directory.
This is of course easily fixed by removing Directory Menu from the panel and adding it again.
I recommend you to upgrade the whole system allowing all the changes in /etc/init.d/
I did just that, and all went well. Now gparted is indeed launching as expected. 👍
NB: possibly related to the choice of encoding during the upgrade process, the console is currently not accepting diacritics (and other symbols like square and cube). They are not available in the terminal emulator, and a decryption passphrase with diacritics will be rejected at reboot time.
EDIT: the encoding issue can easily be fixed by running dpkg-reconfigure locales. It was caused by me not selecting UTF-8 but some fancy encoding during console-setup configuration.
Starting gparted with /usr/libexec/gpartedbin works.
Running pkexec --disable-internal-agent '/usr/sbin/gparted' gives the following output after entering password in the GUI prompt:
vdevadm control: /run/udev/control: No such file or directoryAs I was casually trying to break the 2026.08.04 image, it appeared that gparted would not start. The xfce-polkit daemon prompts for password, but nothing happens after sending the credentials. That was a random find, since I do not normally use gparted but I missed the menu entry I was actually aiming for (synaptic).
So I tried on older ISO images, through the main menu and from a terminal, and gparted is indeed failing silently in all cases, with admin privileges. Other than that, the 2026.08.04 image is running fast and smooth, and synaptic is starting as expected.
I added xfce-polkit to the iso image.
Thank you! This is now a perfect fit.
The lxde version also rocks out of the box. You have created the perfect dilemma for genuen users. ![]()
Thank you! Full success here with the 2026.07.24 image. ![]()
This is again an amazingly snappy system, low on resources and fully fledged. The only addition I am currently making to the installed system is lxpolkit.
Same here after using a different storage volume - but only without encryption. 🤔
So I am currently getting:
LVM without encryption : now works.
LVM + encryption : blinking cursor.
Which is already some nice progress!
Thank you!
The new image gives the same results as the 2026.07.17 on a VM here: all is well without LVM, stubbornly blinking cursor with LVM. 🧐
Some fresh news about the 2026.07.17 ISO image: the live system is booting fine, but it looks like LVM is not working. I first tried installing on a VM with encryption (and LVM), then without encryption (but with LVM), but I was only able to get it up and running when installing without LVM. In the two other cases, I am getting a blinking cursor.
The non-LVM system is as fast and pleasant as usual.
Also solved here by removing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nouveau.conf.
Thanks for looking into this!
Opening this new thread in order to keep all genuen related questions and discussions in one place, as a successor to the historical gnuinos thread.
First, I would like to take the opportunity to thank the whole Devuan community for their hard work, and especially Aitor for his sustained work on genuen (previously known as gnuinos) and for his active support all along the way.
Since we are here, I would also like to report that after creating a VM with the latest version (2026.06.20) of the genuen 6 iso image, I am currently not able to start a graphical session. I will try tweaking the VM settings, but am currently left with a blinking cursor. The Xorg.0.log file says:
[2026-06-20 08:10:03] (EE) No devices detected.
[2026-06-20 08:10:03] no screens foundThe VM was installed with the same settings as the previous genuen ISO image: LVM and encryption, QEMU/KVM on virt-manager and integrated Intel graphics.
@aitor: ntpdate -u pool.ntp.org gives the following error here:
ntpdig: no eligible serversRunning ntpdate-debian works though. It seems to be using debian.pool.ntp.org by default.
You may need to modify the NotShowIn= line in/etc/xdg/autostart/lxpolkit.desktop so you can see the lxpolkit entry in Settings > Session and Startup > Application Autostart. It may not show in Xfce by default . You can either remove XFCE from the NotShowIn= line, or replace that line with OnlyShowIn=XFCE.
Note that running synaptic-pkexec also requires a polkit agent to prompt for password. You need to use sudo if you want to be prompted for a password in the terminal.
Synaptic is installed, but you need a polkit agent to prompt for password if you are starting it from the panel menu.
I have been using lxpolkit for that purpose, but you can also use any of the various scripts mentioned in the nearby gnuinos thread.
I would suggest installing afresh from the latest genuen 6 excalibur iso:
https://www.genuen.org/mirror/excalibur
Here it is booting fine and fast into a graphical session. I suppose the external mediation is provided by case 2 above (dbus and elogind), but did not have time to investigate further.
XOrg server does not work anymore
Maybe it does, but on a different tty. If you press Ctrl+Alt+F7 instead of entering startx, what are you getting?
This does not show any error.
You could run cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep "(EE)" and see what that digs up.
there are several messages that xorg can't start
You may want to have a look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.
You should be using Excalibur.
I am currently able to update && upgrade genuen 6.0 Excalibur.
You may want to check your system time. If it is trailing, your system will see the InRelease file as a mirage from the future and refuse to trust it.