The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-21 04:50:54

wdq
Website

[NEW]-FluXuan Linux-[RELEASE]

http://FluXuan.sourceforge.io

Yes a New Release is up and I took the decision to install the most needed programs.
Thinking that most of the people will stay and search for lightweight programs i choosed to install on FluXuan:

Slim, Fluxbox , SpaceFM, wicd, PaleMoon, Lxappearance, Lxrandr, Mousepad, HexChat, Xpaint, Xpdf, Abiword, Gnumeric, Audacious, VLC,  BleachBit, Gparted, tlp power management with gui.

PaleMoon repo added!
Non-Free Repos activated !

i386 - version ONLY and based on stable Releases of Devuan being a Operating System for older PC.

Hope you will enjoy  !

FluXuan Linux

Last edited by wdq (2020-05-05 05:22:35)

Just a simple man!

#2 2018-04-21 13:48:35

MiyoLinux

Re: [NEW]-FluXuan Linux-[RELEASE]

FluXuan...what a great name!

Downloading it now. I'm really looking forward to trying this out since I've never really given Fluxbox a go. Thank you for making it available! smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#3 2018-04-21 14:32:44

wdq
Website

Thank you so much for the kind words next edition will include some of Miyo `s tools big_smile thank you for making them available

Just a simple man!

#4 2018-04-21 14:37:03

MiyoLinux

You're very welcome! wink

Well...after finally getting it downloaded...(my internet kept going in and out)...

...all that I can say is...WOW!!! I'm writing this from the live session, and my free -m in the live session is 72 MBs of RAM used. smile

Gonna install it on an extra partition to see if that RAM usage is even lower. wink

Fantastic job wdq!!!

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-04-21 14:39:04)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#5 2018-04-21 15:01:57

MiyoLinux

Writing this from the installed system, and free -m is 58 MBs of RAM used. big_smile

I know that different computers give different usages and outputs...but that RAM on this old computer is just stinkin' awesome!

I know nothing about Fluxbox, so this will be a treat to explore. Thanks again wdq!

#6 2018-04-21 16:48:14

wdq
Website

Thank you very much MiyoLinux FluXuan ideea borned after i installed all the devuan derivatives and saw that all of them are mostly based on Openbox Miyo linux had a big part of making me use refractainstaller and the fact that the end user can install anything he wants it was a revelation for that you are a master and your good words means a lot to me.
It tooked me more than 2 months to get to that amount of memory,
Related to fluxbox , is more memory consumer than openbox but it has hes own toolbar / taskbar and that is a plus .

Fluxbox takes about 13 mb of ram and Openbox only 7 mb
JWM - ICEWM - 3 mb but they do not play well with slim and lighdm .

My next project is to port a live tv program something like - sopcast-player or tv-maxe to devuan.

Just a simple man!

#7 2018-04-21 23:22:03

MiyoLinux

You've done fantastic work. While I appreciate the kind words, all that I'm a master of is saying "LOL!" big_smile

Take your work and make it the best that you can. You've done a great job, and I wish you the best!!!

#8 2018-05-03 00:23:17

wdq
Website

Now that i managed to find a solution to install TV-MAXE  on FluXuan / Devuan .

Next FluXuan Project will be MiniUan - The Minimal Base of FluXuan ( Devuan with FluXuan modifications ) That anyone can build on,
that i will try to keep under 200 mb .

FluXuan Official Website Will be Ready Till Next Week !

Thank Everyone from Dev1galaxy for all the help, Devuan for the amazing OS that they build !!

Last edited by wdq (2018-05-03 00:24:19)

Just a simple man!

#9 2018-05-03 00:46:11

MiyoLinux

wdq wrote:

Now that i managed to find a solution to install TV-MAXE  on FluXuan / Devuan .

Next FluXuan Project will be MiniUan - The Minimal Base of FluXuan ( Devuan with FluXuan modifications ) That anyone can build on,
that i will try to keep under 200 mb .

FluXuan Official Website Will be Ready Till Next Week !

Thank Everyone from Dev1galaxy for all the help, Devuan for the amazing OS that they build !!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

big_smile

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-05-03 00:46:32)

#10 2018-05-03 10:40:10

MiyoLinux

Hi Nili! It's on my 12 year old 32 bit Sony Vaio laptop. smile

#11 2018-05-03 12:33:57

siva

Nili wrote:

never seen 50MB yet on x64.

Presumably because x64 assumes the system is using >=4gb of ram, and that the extra 50mb won't matter.

On an 8gb system, my distro boots somewhere between 75-90mb before X is launched, and about 105-110 with X running.  On a 1gb qemu vm, it's somewhere around 60-75mb without X.

#12 2018-05-03 12:44:07

wdq
Website

Well - FluXuan is ONLY 32 BIT Operating System ..... if anyone reeds the first post

I will release a 64 bit Version only on Request and nobody asked for so .... what should i do!

LOLOLOLOLO

Thank you all for interest showed in FluXuan

Just a simple man!

#13 2018-05-03 12:48:32

siva

wdq wrote:

what should i do

Document your processes.

#14 2018-05-05 12:17:07

wdq
Website

I am trying to figure out where is the relation to FluXuan in all the latest POSTS !

Just a simple man!

#15 2018-05-05 14:31:37

Nili
Website

You're absolutely right wdq, Sorry for the noise mate, i was stupid talking general specific infos of my customs on your thread.
Edit: I just cleaned the wasted generated by me.

Congratulation on your OS!
Regards!

Last edited by Nili (2018-05-05 14:41:05)

openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

#16 2018-05-05 14:39:55

devuser

32bit only is an interesting approach. I think 64bit might perform a little better for some calculations (where being able to use 64bit registers is an advantage or the noriously low register count of x86 becomes noticable) but will use more RAM (due to larger pointers, larger alignments and probably also larger opcodes). What kind of specs do you have in mind when you think of older hardware? I see nothing wrong with using 64bit on a Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM (that's actually what i am using right now - without swap). Systems where i'd opt for 32bit would likely have 512MB or even less RAM (besides CPUs that simply don't support it of course).

#17 2018-05-05 21:56:36

wdq
Website

devuser wrote:

32bit only is an interesting approach. I think 64bit might perform a little better for some calculations (where being able to use 64bit registers is an advantage or the noriously low register count of x86 becomes noticable) but will use more RAM (due to larger pointers, larger alignments and probably also larger opcodes). What kind of specs do you have in mind when you think of older hardware? I see nothing wrong with using 64bit on a Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM (that's actually what i am using right now - without swap). Systems where i'd opt for 32bit would likely have 512MB or even less RAM (besides CPUs that simply don't support it of course).

Ohhh Yeah that is s question related to this topic  big_smile LOLOLOL

First , thank you devuser for the interest in FluXuan

What i will try to do is a system that can be used on a system let us say AMD k6 2 with 800mghz and 512 mb of ram ...... that is why next release will not have chromium and a lot of changes in the program list as in kernel a lot of tweaks to reduce ram usage and size ...... with the next release i will release MiniUan witch will be only the base of FluXuan no Xorg or anything just the minimum base of Devuan with FluXuan tweaks that anyone can build on .

I hope this will please a lot of users!

Just a simple man!

#18 2018-05-05 22:19:47

siva

I am trying to figure out where is the relation to FluXuan in all the latest POSTS !

I think it'd be a great idea to make a wiki for your project.  I'd be interested in reading it.

#19 2018-05-05 22:32:07

devuser

wdq wrote:

Ohhh Yeah that is s question related to this topic  big_smile LOLOLOL

My pleasure. Any time! tongue

wdq wrote:

What i will try to do is a system that can be used on a system let us say AMD k6 2 with 800mghz and 512 mb of ram

Ah, i see. On such a system 32bit is obviously a perfect choice (besides 64bit not really being possible of course). Those specs remind me a little of my old laptop. A Mobile Athlon 1800+ with exactly 512MB of RAM and that was tough to setup already. I also still have Pentium 3 based laptop lying around. If i get the time i might give FluXuan a try on this beast big_smile

wdq wrote:

next release will not have chromium

Yes, finding a usable browser will be hard. I recently tried to use a very old laptop (sorry can't remember the actual specs - some very old Celeron CPU maybe?) and while it would run firefox it was to slow to do anything with it. After trying a bunch of browsers i settled for netsurf. Still slow but somewhat usable. Sadly no javascript support but i think they are working on it. Links2 in graphics mode would likely run even faster but it's seriously ugly to point i'd rather use text mode.

wdq wrote:

and a lot of changes in the program list as in kernel a lot of tweaks to reduce ram usage and size ...... with the next release i will release MiniUan witch will be only the base of FluXuan no Xorg or anything just the minimum base of Devuan with FluXuan tweaks that anyone can build on.

Sounds great. I am quite curious as to how much performance you can squeeze out of these old systems and looking forward to testing it smile

#20 2018-05-05 22:37:22

devuser

siva wrote:

I think it'd be a great idea to make a wiki for your project.  I'd be interested in reading it.

Seconded. Seems like an exciting topic.

wdq wrote:

JWM - ICEWM - 3 mb but they do not play well with slim and lighdm.

What's the problem with IceWM (besides the package in ascii being practically broken) btw? I've been using it with slim for years with zero issues.

Last edited by devuser (2018-05-05 22:45:17)

#21 2018-05-06 06:22:44

wdq
Website

Seems like Slim  have problems with policykit permissions related to udisks and upower when you use JWM or ICEWM.

If there is a new linux user and does not like using sudo mount /dev/XXX then it will be a small problem using Slim.

With Slim will give problems in auto mounting Removable Drives, even if you turn your computer on with the flashdrive in .

I will try to write a wiki with no gramatical problems and better structure , for the moment i am trying to finish the FluXuan website .

It will be fun to reed because,  i still work on my English skills being Romanian and English my second Language and the fact i started using it 4 years ago,
could give me a small excuse in the way i write . big_smile

Last edited by wdq (2018-05-06 06:26:26)

Just a simple man!

#22 2018-05-06 10:39:24

devuser

wdq wrote:

Seems like Slim  have problems with policykit permissions related to udisks and upower when you use JWM or ICEWM.

If there is a new linux user and does not like using sudo mount /dev/XXX then it will be a small problem using Slim.

With Slim will give problems in auto mounting Removable Drives, even if you turn your computer on with the flashdrive in .

I see. Never tried auto mounting. At most i use spacefm and udevil to mount stuff but i can't even remember if i did this back then. My usage of slim was probably during wheezy days so it's been a while.

wdq wrote:

I will try to write a wiki with no gramatical problems and better structure , for the moment i am trying to finish the FluXuan website .

It will be fun to reed because,  i still work on my English skills being Romanian and English my second Language and the fact i started using it 4 years ago,
could give me a small excuse in the way i write . big_smile

Cool and don't worry to much about your english. As far as i am concerned it's fine but then i am not a native speaker either. Who knows how we both sound to someone who has spoken english for his/her whole life? big_smile

#23 2018-05-14 17:20:42

MiyoLinux

Fluxuan YouTube review! smile

https://youtu.be/nX9VAXMw2A8

#24 2018-05-14 19:56:12

golinux
Administrator

MiyoLinux wrote:

Fluxuan YouTube review! smile

https://youtu.be/nX9VAXMw2A8

As the reviewer says - impressive.  Well done, wdq.

#25 2018-05-17 06:59:07

wdq
Website

Thank you so very much golinux for the find ... and kind words , next release that i work on now will insane in my opinion less memory consuming , auto / dynamic menu Myio`s language changer and a nice wrapper with a lot of info for the refracta installer

for memory consumtion a small sneek

2018_05_17_074908_1280x800_scrot.png

I am pleased to be a part of this great community and i will always be present when i do not work on a new release.

Just a simple man!

Board footer