You are not logged in.
Pages: 1
There is a continual need for validating that the actual end-result of the default installation matches the result intended by the developers and distro-maintainers.
This topic would serve as an initial place to jot down
the various ISO INSTALLATION TESTING NEEDS
for the DEFAULT installation path only.
This community has an enormous wealth of IT experience, across a vast domain of Linux subsystems and their interoperability.
I acknowledge that I am the junior-most member here, yet I would like to try this as an experiment (one that can be rearranged, redirected, dismissed, or commandeered and re-assigned by the stewards of Devuan).
The purpose is three-fold:
1) to reduce both the maintainer pain points and the end-user friction, so that both user and maintainer expectations are more fully, and more consistently realized.
2) to reduce the maintenance burden, by having human testers (gasp)
3) to provide an initial means for others to readily assist in the on-going care of Devuan
(...with myself being the initial "guinea pig" to volunteer to test this out on behalf of those who come later. I don't have the stamina to continue *to lead* such an endeavor long-term, but I'm very willing to see this procedural test list become established).
* Test Web connectivity -- ping -c 3 example.com
* DE Package Manager functionality (i.e. Discover, synaptic, etc.)
* any initial dmesg startup error messages
* any initial shutdown errors
* can the system play a very basic mp3?
* anything that is actually relevant to determining...
did the end-result actually meet the intended result, for the default installation path?
Last edited by KindlyDoRight (2026-10-08 22:14:56)
Offline
* WiFi testing
* default Power/Battery settings
Last edited by KindlyDoRight (2026-10-08 22:16:53)
Offline
* Virtual guest screen resizing
* Copy-Paste between Host and Guest
Last edited by KindlyDoRight (2026-10-08 22:17:04)
Offline
<post spacer>
Jot down all testing notes, ideas, adhoc testing thoughts down below:
(as discussions vet the various items, the above "living" lists will be filled out)
Last edited by KindlyDoRight (2026-10-08 22:22:56)
Offline
"pain points" ?? "friction" ?? What are you talking about?
Offline
I'm glad you've not experienced any. Peacefully and of good-will, I reference
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=8232
You are completely welcome to delete this topic. I have no qualms with it.
Offline
That explains nothing. What do those terms mean for you? Why do you use them?
Offline
KindlyDoRight . . . do you ever come up for air? LOL! Does blood or electricity run through your veins?
Offline
It's a nice thing to offer but how would you find the boundary? Eg 2.4 GHz Bluetooth clash with 2.4ghz WiFi card, throwing the wifi is not a Devuan problem though not the desired result on install, or xfce tiny writing on 4k screen upon install, but fine on another lower res laptop etc.....
Last edited by SS (2026-10-08 23:01:47)
Offline
@KindlyDoRight as noted by golinux, we think your postings are generated. Your account is currently suspended. Please email me to discuss.
Offline
I'm not sure they're generated, I would say that's just their posting style. I found some activity via a web search elsewhere from 3 years ago and much the same style. Or perhap they ran their post through some LLM to come up with some of the wording in question.
There used to be someone at LQ who used a lot of text formatting and upper case. Made the posts at worst practically unreadable, at best obnoxious and preachy.
Aside from that, there's obviously far too much misdirected effort. It seems like the usual "$DISTRO is too difficult for beginners to install" thing.
Last edited by blackhole (Yesterday 07:33:28)
Offline
blackhole: Aside from that, there's obviously far too much misdirected effort. It seems like the usual "$DISTRO is too difficult for beginners to install" thing.
I see the motivation quite differently. Pulling in the same direction and being an elf in the workshop is a faceless task. Creating something new/unique scratches an itch for personal recognition. Which road do you think the "Me Generation" is likely to choose?
Offline
Please consider; it's unfair to paint this OP with general failings of generations, which, if it needs discussion, should be pursued in a separate, off-topic thread. I'm thankful for blackhole's and additional reflections on the question of AI-slop-or-not, though preferrably as email to me rther than additional posts on this thread.
Offline
@KindlyDoRight, after review and discussion we have decided that suspending is not warranted, and we welcome you back as forum member.
Onwards we want to remind you and everyone about the virtue of minimalism both in content and count of forum posts. We moderators prefer to avoid moderating against personal style but rather prefer that people self-adjust towards a coherent and pleasant discussions forum on Devuan related matters. And to be sure: AI generated posts are not acceptable.
Offline
Pages: 1