You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-27 00:37:00

golinux
Administrator

How World Leaders are Scrambling to Secure Food in the Shadows

From Amanpour and Company last night:
How World Leaders are Scrambling to Secure Food in the Shadows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppwlFwcL4iY

In a world full of unrest, fears are mounting about access to our most vital resources — food and water. The Grab" is a documentary that chronicles the way certain governments are attempting to control these global resources. The journalist and director behind the film, Nate Halverson and Gabriela Cowperthwaite, join the show to discuss whether the fight over our most precious commodities could lead to geopolitical conflict.

I knew this was happening but not to this extent. Could actually be the reason for the invasion of Ukraine. All that grain for the cattle Russia is starting raise now that the climate is getting warmer . . .

In other news . . . Italy’s first field trial of a gene-edited crop is in tatters, after vandals completely destroyed a test plot of experimental rice near the northern city of Pavia. No one has claimed responsibility for the destruction.

https://www.science.org/content/article … id=5257777

#2 2024-06-27 08:46:00

Camtaf

Re: How World Leaders are Scrambling to Secure Food in the Shadows

Reminds me of the Russian tactic of burning crops as they retreated in WW2....

#3 2024-06-27 15:05:25

Dutch_Master

I tried to stay out of this, I really did roll

Genetically modified foods (hyperfoods) are widely available in the US, where food standards are deliberately low to allow big farm maximize their profits.

Look where it led them  roll

Yes, hyperfoods are bad for your health. Which is why the EU has banned them. As a result, the population over here clearly has better judgemental powers to keep extremists out of a position dominating the various political stages tongue

#4 2024-06-27 15:48:18

golinux
Administrator

@Dutch_Master . . . you are preaching to the choir here. I have been opposing GMOs since about 1995 and have worked with activists around the world. Be aware that your European sanctuary is constantly under pressure from industry and without the work of many of my colleagues, "hyperfoods" would already be rampant in EU. Enjoy it while it lasts because sooner or later . . .

#5 2024-07-01 05:29:10

LU344928

Aren't we all genetically modified organisms?

None of us is an exact replica of our parents, so aren't we, as well as every other creature on earth produced by sexual reproduction, genetically modified organisms?

Devuan Daedalus 5.0  |  MX Linux 23  |  Slackware 15

#6 2024-07-01 13:48:01

golinux
Administrator

Good grief! Have you done no research?! There are many types of reproduction not just sexual but intentional human manipulation of genetic components is something that only imbalanced human minds could conceive and accomplish. That hubris will eventually scramble plant, animal and human reproductive systems in unrecoverable ways. Oh well . . . maybe we'll get another chance the next world cycle . . .

#7 2024-07-01 14:11:16

igorzwx

The problems of "vital resources" and of "reproduction" are real problems. Another problem is how to separate facts from myths.

You might be surprised, but facts are myths, and nothing more. This scientific discovery was made by Roland Barthes.
If you think that it is a joke, you might be mistaken. The secret knowledge in encoded in British textbooks:

Barthes claims that is at the level of secondary signification or connotation that myth is produced and consumed... According to Barthes,

"what allows the reader to consume myth innocently is that he does not see it as a semiological system but as an inductive one. Where there is only equivalence, he sees a kind of causal process: the signifier and the signified  have, in his eyes, a natural relationship. This confusion can be expressed otherwise: any semiological system is a system of values; now the myth-consumer takes the signification for a system of facts: myth is read as a factual system, whereas it is but a semiological system."
Jonh Storey, And Introductory Guide to Cultural Theory and Popular Culture, Edinburgh University Press, 1993.

To summarize, facts are myths, and myths are a sort of knowledge. The consumer of facts is a slave of knowledge.

#8 2024-07-01 14:29:53

golinux
Administrator

As usual, you are missing the point . . . maybe you are a confused bot . . .

#9 2024-07-01 14:48:02

igorzwx

Yes, I was confused by the movie, so many facts...

#10 2024-07-01 15:33:56

golinux
Administrator

Yes. Humans live in the confusion of the movie they create in their own minds from misinterpretation of incoming sensory data. Words just muddy things further . . .

#11 2024-07-01 15:48:25

igorzwx

It might be a sin to obfuscate the Teaching.

Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think.
The Dhammapada - Full Audiobook with Text (AudioEbook)
_https://youtu.be/TcGfY4WSgVA

#12 2024-07-01 16:07:33

golinux
Administrator

Hahahaha! Yes, I have had at least 3 different translations sitting on a shelf for decades.

The only "sin" is not seeing things as they are . . .

#13 2024-07-01 16:19:24

igorzwx

If reading does not help, you may try wu wei.

#14 2024-07-01 16:23:10

golinux
Administrator

You keep digging that hole deeper . . . the choice is yours . . . but please, let's not waste any more of Devuan's resources on this nonsense.

Afterthought . . . I was just washing dishes and remembered a little story/tale/fable from decades ago . . . where or how it came to me is lost in time.

A monk lived high in the mountains and winter was coming. A devotee came before winter set in to offer the monk a gift of many books filled with teachings and wisdom. In the spring, the donor returned and asked if the monk found the books useful and the monk replied, "Oh yes, they were very warm books".

Board footer