The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-14 10:18:29

Geoff 42

Claws-mail themes after upgrade to Daedalus

After updating from Chimaera to Daedalus, there seems to have been some changes to the theme in Claws-mail.
I don't know whether this is from a change in the Devuan theme or in Claws itself, now on v 4.1.1.
At first, after the upgrade, I noticed that the toolbar icons were jumping sideways as I moused over them.
I have since installed the claws-mail-themes and have looked at some them, but Claws crashes when I go back to the default theme!
It does restart ok, with the default theme, but I see that the toolbar icons are not now jumping sideways!

The odder feature is that when I open a compose message window, the area near the top, where it shows the headers, has the line(s) for entering To: (or Cc: etc) which are now very deep. There is probably room to have it 3 lines deep. As you add more recipients, these lines are all also very deep. This looks very odd and also takes up a lot of vertical screen space for no benefit. If you type a very long line in the To: field, it just scrolls across and leaves the blank space above and below.

The background to the message area is now a light blue colour. I wonder whether this is a Devuan theme feature. This is not really a problem, it is just that it is new/different! This does also affect the toolbar area and menus.

The OS upgrade also seems to remove the Claws plug-ins, but it is easy enough to reload them.

Claws itself continues to work nicely.

#2 2023-12-14 15:57:31

golinux
Administrator

Re: Claws-mail themes after upgrade to Daedalus

@Geoff 42 . . . Most of the Daedalus theming was done 2 years ago and only tested on xfce and my setup which is chimaera.  I have no idea how it interacts with claws. Over the years, csd and gtk3 have raised havoc with the clearlooks-phenix theme. Since I am now out of the theming business after almost 10 years, someone will either have to step up to take on that task or users will have to live with what Debian provides and/or the old Devuan themes which will still be available in the repos and on Devuan's git store.

#3 2023-12-14 16:16:58

Geoff 42

Thank you for the update on the theming!

I am running LXQt with Openbox and have set the overall theme to be Clearlooks-Phenix-Sapphire.

Geoff

#4 2023-12-14 16:47:19

golinux
Administrator

You might want to check if the other Devuan themes misbehave in a similar way. I only played with the colors in the theme(s) except for a few times that I needed help from the XFCE folks. Oh and yes . . . the background for all the themes has been a light version of the dominant color.

#5 2023-12-14 19:35:50

fsmithred
Administrator

I'm not seeing any weird behavior with claws mail. I was going to post this a few hours ago and include the warning that my results might not match yours because I'm using lxqt with openbox. Now I see you're using the same.

I have the sapphire theme selected in the openbox settings (and in openbox configuration manager) and silver theme selected in lxqt preferences.
This is daedalus on ASUS EEE netbook, 1366x768 display.

#6 2023-12-15 15:39:22

Geoff 42

It seems that the light blue background is part of the Clearlooks-Phenix-Sapphire theme and does show up in other programs.

I think that the toolbar icons jumping sideways, is because the highlighted icons were a different width from the normal versions, so as you mouse over them, so the icons to the right move sideways. Since playing with the Claws themes and returning to the default, this phenomenon has gone away!

The remaining "feature" is in the compose message window, where there used to be several lines to enter recipients, but owing to each line being about 3 lines worth of height, there is only room for one and a bit lines at a time. This area is scrollable, so can be worked around, but is an annoying waste of space. Do you see this with your copy?

I am interested in your comment about the silver theme in LXQt preferences. I am seeing a choice between Debian and System. I have chosen the System theme as the lighter option.

Geoff

#7 2023-12-16 11:26:23

Geoff 42

I have just received an email, to which I replied. When the compose window popped-up, the To: line was already filled in. However, the To: line was the expected height, i.e. suitable for a single line. Now, when I click on the compose email icon, the new compose window now has the suitable height To: line.

I do not know what has tidied up this "feature". I am, however, happy that Claws is working nicely.

Geoff

Board footer