The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-09-07 07:10:44

Charon795
Member
Registered: 2023-08-25
Posts: 55  

[SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

Hi all! I am a new devuan and linux user. i have some questions and also i am facing some problems
I need your help
1. Keyboard issue
I have a dell inspirion 7537 keyboard model. In the settings, I set the dell inspirion 6000/8000, but the keys are still confused for some reason. what to do?
2. I want to put a theme from the following site: https://www.xfce-look.org/p/1661959
Chose the Colloroid theme. The question is how to install it instead of the standard one?

Offline

#2 2023-09-07 08:14:02

golinux
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 3,180  

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

Charon795 wrote:

Hi all! I am a new devuan and linux user. i have some questions and also i am facing some problems

Welcome to Devuan!

Charon795 wrote:

2. I want to put a theme from the following site: https://www.xfce-look.org/p/1661959
Chose the Colloroid theme. The question is how to install it instead of the standard one?

You can either put it into /home/[youuser].themes/ or in /usr/share/themes. You will need to put it into /usr to have the theme work on synaptic etc.

Online

#3 2023-09-07 08:26:23

Charon795
Member
Registered: 2023-08-25
Posts: 55  

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

golinux wrote:
Charon795 wrote:

Hi all! I am a new devuan and linux user. i have some questions and also i am facing some problems

Welcome to Devuan!

Charon795 wrote:

2. I want to put a theme from the following site: https://www.xfce-look.org/p/1661959
Chose the Colloroid theme. The question is how to install it instead of the standard one?

You can either put it into /home/[youuser].themes/ or in /usr/share/themes. You will need to put it into /usr to have the theme work on synaptic etc.

I tried to extract the folder with Colloroid to the path usr/shame/theme/ but I get an error saying that I do not have enough rights to extract to this directory

Offline

#4 2023-09-07 09:05:28

PedroReina
Member
From: Madrid, Spain
Registered: 2019-01-13
Posts: 267  
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

Charon795 wrote:

I tried to extract the folder with Colloroid to the path usr/shame/theme/ but I get an error saying that I do not have enough rights to extract to this directory

You have to do it as the user named "root".

Offline

#5 2023-09-07 09:13:53

Charon795
Member
Registered: 2023-08-25
Posts: 55  

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

PedroReina wrote:
Charon795 wrote:

I tried to extract the folder with Colloroid to the path usr/shame/theme/ but I get an error saying that I do not have enough rights to extract to this directory

You have to do it as the user named "root".

Logically. How to do it?

Offline

#6 2023-09-07 11:25:31

Charon795
Member
Registered: 2023-08-25
Posts: 55  

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

The issue with the installation of the theme has been resolved. The keyboard issue still stands.

Offline

#7 2023-09-07 11:29:40

stopAI
Member
Registered: 2023-04-04
Posts: 138  

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

Hello.

You shouldn't play with the root directory. Especially with files downloaded from unknown sources. Considering you have no experience with Unix systems, I would advise you to install the theme you downloaded into your user home directory.

I would advise to make everything much simpler

Create dir

$mkdir .themes

And put extracted files to that folder.

P.S.

I also suggest you to search for themes in the official Devuan package repository. It really has a lot of good themes, which, by the way, are properly tested and compatible with the current version of Devuan.

Offline

#8 2023-09-07 11:46:15

Charon795
Member
Registered: 2023-08-25
Posts: 55  

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

stopAI wrote:

Hello.

You shouldn't play with the root directory. Especially with files downloaded from unknown sources. Considering you have no experience with Unix systems, I would advise you to install the theme you downloaded into your user home directory.

I would advise to make everything much simpler

Create dir

$mkdir .themes

And put extracted files to that folder.

P.S.

I also suggest you to search for themes in the official Devuan package repository. It really has a lot of good themes, which, by the way, are properly tested and compatible with the current version of Devuan.

Thank you for your reply.
And sorry for the dumb question. Do I just need to type this in the terminal? Nothing else needs to be added to create a directory?
I will only be glad if you send a link where you can download themes

Last edited by Charon795 (2023-09-07 11:47:25)

Offline

#9 2023-09-07 11:56:34

rolfie
Member
Registered: 2017-11-25
Posts: 1,105  

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

Next time one problem per post please, makes answering and follow up much easier.

To the keyboard issue: I never cared for any keyboard model. Locale and keyboard layout are usually defined during setup, im my case Germany/German. Maybe you take a read into the Ubuntu wiki, or search the web a bit for the keywords "linux configure locale" and "linux configure keyboard".

What I haven't seen is a exact description of your problem, so a specific answer isn't possible.

My locale shows:

$ locale
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

In /etc/default/keyboard I find:

$ cat /etc/default/keyboard
# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="de"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""

BACKSPACE="guess"

That works for me.

Maybe you tell as a bit more about the problem? What is your locale? Which keyboard settings are used? What does not work?

Last edited by rolfie (2023-09-07 11:57:58)

Offline

#10 2023-09-07 12:04:19

Charon795
Member
Registered: 2023-08-25
Posts: 55  

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

Sorry. I'll keep it in mind next time.
When installing the system, I specified the usual 105-key model and now I have mixed up characters on numbers like a question or an exclamation mark
As I said, I changed the keyboard model to my own, but still, for some reason, nothing changes. As instead of an exclamation mark, she wrote the letter n with a round, and continues to write it. and I literally don't know what to do with it

Offline

#11 2023-09-07 12:14:15

rolfie
Member
Registered: 2017-11-25
Posts: 1,105  

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

Show the printout of:

$ locale
$ cat /etc/default/keyboard

and tell us which keyboard layout do you have? Norwegian, Swedisch, Spanish .... ?

Last edited by rolfie (2023-09-07 12:15:04)

Offline

#12 2023-09-07 12:28:22

Charon795
Member
Registered: 2023-08-25
Posts: 55  

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

rolfie wrote:

Show the printout of:

$ locale
$ cat /etc/default/keyboard

and tell us which keyboard layout do you have? Norwegian, Swedisch, Spanish .... ?

I can't copy information from the terminal. I press ctrl+c but nothing
I use Russian and English layout

Offline

#13 2023-09-07 12:42:01

alexkemp
Member
Registered: 2018-05-14
Posts: 302  

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

Please stop full-post quoting almost *every* reply, that is just childish nonsense. If you wish to indicate what you are replying to, then edit the text down to the minimum. These forums are noisy enough as they are without scores & scores of full-text quotes.

Charon795 wrote:

I can't copy information from the terminal. I press ctrl+c but nothing

If you are using the "xfce4-terminal" (see menu:Help | About) then the command to copy highlighted-text is shown at menu:Edit | Copy (key-command is Shift+Ctrl+C).

Offline

#14 2023-09-07 16:08:34

stopAI
Member
Registered: 2023-04-04
Posts: 138  

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

Charon795 wrote:

Do I just need to type this in the terminal? Nothing else needs to be added to create a directory?
I will only be glad if you send a link where you can download themes

Please check this:

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=5969

Charon795 wrote:

I will only be glad if you send a link where you can download themes

I really don't recommend you do that, ie. download themes from unknown sources. For starters, before you gain experience, install themes from the official Devuan  repository.

Last edited by stopAI (2023-09-07 16:08:58)

Offline

#15 2023-09-11 08:44:55

Charon795
Member
Registered: 2023-08-25
Posts: 55  

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

stopAI wrote:
Charon795 wrote:

Do I just need to type this in the terminal? Nothing else needs to be added to create a directory?
I will only be glad if you send a link where you can download themes

Please check this:

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=5969

Charon795 wrote:

I will only be glad if you send a link where you can download themes

I really don't recommend you do that, ie. download themes from unknown sources. For starters, before you gain experience, install themes from the official Devuan  repository.

So can you tell me HOW can I install themes from the official repository??

Offline

#16 2023-09-11 11:47:17

stopAI
Member
Registered: 2023-04-04
Posts: 138  

Re: [SOLVED] Keyboard issue, theme installation

Charon795 wrote:

So can you tell me HOW can I install themes from the official repository??

Did you understand what I wrote to you? Did you click the link and read what it says? I don't really understand what you don't understand...

P.S.
Here is the link again that describes how to install gtk themes.

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=5969

Offline

Board footer