The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-05-17 02:34:59

golinux
Administrator

Google to delete inactive accounts

FYI . . . Google will start deleting accounts that have been inactive for at least two years as part of a new security plan, the company announced Tuesday . . .

I have a few of those because who wants google much in their life. It seemed like a good idea at the time . . .

#2 2023-06-25 04:50:41

Tatwi
Website

Re: Google to delete inactive accounts

It really does seem that the only way to preserve a bit of your history online is to become just famous enough to qualify for a modest Wikipedia entry. "Golinux was an upstanding member of the GNU/Linux community in the early 21st Century. Here is a picture of him at Uber Nerdcon Extreme Linux Edition '29 talking to a group of doting fans". Beyond that our data is so much dust...

Google... See, I want to like them and be all happy about using their products, as I type this on my Lenovo Thinkpad C14 Gen 1 Chromebook, with my Pixel 6a snoozing on the bedside table, but they sure go out of their way to be unlikable and in so many ways! Seriously, I upgrade to the 6a from my old-as-dirt Samsung Galaxy 6 and i swear to Richard Stallman, the Google folks took every mundane task one can do in Android 9 and added at least 2 levels of futzing to them in Android 13. Swipe down and turn off WiFi with a tap? Nope, now you have open Connections and then tap the Wifi toggle, because that's so much better! Honestly, there are at least 7 of this exact problem with features one uses all the time... The usability of my phone has cratered from that high point of Galaxy 6 (itself I had to go back to twice, after giving my giving my children my Galaxy 8/10e/A53 at various times, because they broke theirs).

Anyway, I like using Gmail, Goggle Drive, ChromeOS, and (older versions of) Android, but I've lost all faith in Google's ability to not suck, let alone actually be good at anything.

As for our memories outlasting our lives, nothing beats good old books! There are plenty of nifty tools and services for turning our photos (and even spoken thoughts) into awesome hard or soft cover books. I did a garden memory book for the kids back in 2013 using HP's service and it has held up well (sitting on a shelf most of the time). If your book tells a story, who knows how it may captivate someone in the future.

#3 2023-06-25 07:18:11

yeti

"I like using Gmail, Goggle Drive, ChromeOS, ..."

Scary.

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#4 2023-06-30 02:51:49

zapper

@tawai I lost faith in Goggle on the mostly the same level, as early as 2014. What took you so long? wink

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#5 2023-06-30 18:28:51

Tatwi
Website

zapper wrote:

@tawai I lost faith in Goggle on the mostly the same level, as early as 2014. What took you so long? wink

I've never been a Mac person, so when both the Blackberry and Windows phones took a dump, I went with Android. Prior to then, whenever that was, I had actually de-Googled. After re-Googling a little for the play store access, it just all piled on with the wife and kids using Chromebooks for school (and ChromeOS is kinda cool for what it is). My usage is still limit though. I really do only use gmail, drive, and Chrome/ChromeOS, though I use Chrome in an incognito window for everything other than gmail, drive, outlook, and spotify. I know incognito is not private, but it does prevent building a history in one's Google account.

Still, none of that speaks to why I heald faith for so long. Pragmatic optimism and the convenience of drive, I guess. That was, of course, before I learned that they have that really stupid culture that chases novelty and ignores the value of maintaining the quality of services; In my books, 800 days of 100% uptime for gmail is way more deserving of a raise than banging out yet another messaging app, etc. Google is broken, from the inside out, and it sucks almost as much as their search results.

#6 2023-07-21 02:43:50

zapper

Windows 8.1, was when I first tried to escape, but it took a year for me to be successful. Still, it was when I began. But yeah, I agree with you, google or gaggle if you prefer, is broken from the inside out. You can say this about mac as well and microsoft and possibly about even some distros as well.

*cough red *cough hat *cough

They are likely to incur lawsuits for trying to make gpl code proprietary...

So weird....

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

Board footer