The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-03-23 16:54:03

golinux
Administrator

AI on mainstream media

The genie is already out of the bottle but at least the MSM finally caught up with it . . .

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/vi … 6341189759

"Artificial intelligence has developed rapidly in recent years, stoking concerns that the technology is being released too quickly and without enough testing. Lester Holt speaks with Tristan Harris and Aza Raskin, co-founders of the Center for Humane Technology, about the dangers of developing AI without regulation."

It is a good time to be old . . . big_smile

#2 2023-03-24 07:33:00

yeti

Re: AI on mainstream media

IMO there is no intelligence in there.
But one of my favorite science fact-checkers contradicts me:

Sabine Hossenfelder
    I believe chatbots understand part of what they say. Let me explain.
    https://invidious.nerdvpn.de/watch?v=cP5zGh2fui0

I'll definitely not play with GPTs, BART et al.
Instead I'd prefer to revisit facts and rules based (proof-)systems.

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#3 2023-03-24 13:47:56

yeti

Digital overlord with bad habits...

Computerphile
Bing Chat Behaving Badly
https://invidious.nerdvpn.de/watch?v=jHwHPyWkShk

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#4 2023-03-24 14:28:40

yeti

Not already scary enough?

Here's more:

The Verge
Microsoft lays off team that taught employees how to make AI tools responsibly / As the company accelerates its push into AI products, the ethics and society team is gone
https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/13/2363 … ai-layoffs

#5 2023-03-24 15:17:06

golinux
Administrator

Adding this on Amanpour & Co. yesterday to the discussion:

Fmr. Google CEO Eric Schmidt on the AI Revolution

"Artificial Intelligence is here to stay. How it is being appliedβ€”and, perhaps more importantly, regulatedβ€”are now the crucial questions to ask. Walter Isaacson speaks with former Google CEO Eric Schmidt about A.I.’s impact on life, politics, and warfare, as well as what can be done to keep it under control."

#6 2023-03-24 16:49:39

yeti

So far I only saw one aspect of Large Language Models where I'd like to see more:

Real Science
    Could Chat GPT Talk to Whales?
    https://invidious.nerdvpn.de/watch?v=hph9OeKjg3w

#7 2023-03-25 15:14:51

yeti

Skynet jobs: Cheap in – Cheap out?

DW News
    Who is feeding some of the most popular and advanced AI-applications?
    https://invidious.nerdvpn.de/watch?v=UNF0LIIQKlY

#8 2023-03-29 22:15:43

yeti

Some slowly wake up?

DW News
    Why Musk and other experts call for a pause on the development of powerful AI systems
    https://invidious.nerdvpn.de/watch?v=iI_RNK4X2wg

TOO LATE!
Toothpaste-tube-problem!
Mwhuaaahahaahahahahahahaaa...

#9 2023-03-29 22:24:17

yeti

Gooooood moooorrrrrniiiiiing!!!

Fortune
    Elon Musk and Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak among over 1,100 who sign open letter calling for 6-month ban on creating powerful A.I.
    https://fortune.com/2023/03/29/elon-mus … werful-ai/

#10 2023-04-02 12:43:18

delgado

Then ... What is the business model behind that campagne?

#11 2023-04-02 16:01:47

yeti

Those ideas are only the above water seeable nose of the swimming ursus maritimus:

Times Radio
    Should we be worried about children developing relationships with AI chatbots?
    https://invidious.sethforprivacy.com/wa … m248fifKIM

Replika - Virtual AI Friend
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/replika-v … 1158555867

IIRC there was a company already planning to reanimate your dead grandma as AI.

And with all that chatter with bots, you 2-legged data cattle will produce pure bit-gold for others.

#12 2023-04-02 16:13:20

golinux
Administrator

Horrifying! And the dysfunctional sheeple will love it!! No doubt that humans are the stupidest most self-destructive species on the planet.

#13 2023-04-02 16:29:42

yeti

I don't think that's a purely human problem.

Other species discovering technology will outrun their own (mental) evolution by technology like we do and will get addicted by all the benefits of over exploiting nature for feeding their laziness, technology, greed, ...

Even if auto-mobile AI (robots, androids) were the next big player in that game, they still would compete over limited resources and and that would ignite the need to be faster, stronger, ... than the competitor.  We can imagine how that'll end.

...maybe all this is just unavoidable in the greater evolution of the universe and maybe it even happens on billions of planets in billions of galaxies in similar ways right now...

1. Hitchhiker (0,5) Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place.  And some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have left the oceans.

Last edited by yeti (2023-04-02 16:31:32)

#14 2023-04-03 02:36:10

zapper

golinux wrote:

The genie is already out of the bottle but at least the MSM finally caught up with it . . .

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/vi … 6341189759

"Artificial intelligence has developed rapidly in recent years, stoking concerns that the technology is being released too quickly and without enough testing. Lester Holt speaks with Tristan Harris and Aza Raskin, co-founders of the Center for Humane Technology, about the dangers of developing AI without regulation."

It is a good time to be old . . . big_smile

When you say MSM, just to clairfy, you are aware that any media and all media that operates only on TV fits this bill, right?

When corporations like Google are considered left wing, by a country, you know the countries who think that are controlled by extremism.

Although I suppose denial can be a pre-existing condition, if you don't think this.

Not sure what anyone here thinks, but considering USA's alt right uses MSM alot, it sounds like denial to me very often.

I hope, that you, golinux that you aren't one of those people.

Btw, as an obvious, patents are hell for tech, due to the power they give the tech companies to abuse their power.

In any case, it doesn't matter who controls the DRM, even if the people are mostly benevolent, there will always be the factor for people who don't care about the law who will do whatever it takes to abuse it.

Bad guys will disable the remote blobs by any means, legal or illegal and use safe havens and abuse the vulnerabilities of those who are stuck with the backdoors to cause havoc.

It would be nice if the whole world understood this...

Heard of ciphersaber.com?

That's where I realized its not about catching bad guys or about national security.

Its about finding legal dissenters and about giving corporations endless power, nothing else.

Last edited by zapper (2023-04-03 02:43:50)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#15 2023-04-03 05:50:45

aluma

Yes, it was not necessary to get down from the tree! smile
1528744060174930057.jpg

#16 2023-04-03 17:46:06

golinux
Administrator

@zapper . . . You torture yourself with so many questions that are quite irrelevant to me so how can I possibly respond to them. I observe the stream of events at a distance but do not identify with them. In fact "media" has been absent from most of my life. The "world" can't be fixed because sentient creatures are too flawed to make choices for the common good. The bell curve says it all though that is something slightly different from what I am trying to describe. The only "world" that can be changed is our own mind and that internal transformation is my only concern.

#17 2023-04-04 06:07:18

zapper

@golinux I am aware that humans are unable to have true peace, such a thing will take till the end of time to occur if it has a chance to happen at all.

This being said, I definitely seek such a transformation. As for if I seek it enough, I am not sure.

But seeing various discussions and learning about libre software, etc... these revelations came to me regarding the reality of my country and no doubt various parts of the world.

Last edited by zapper (2023-04-04 06:07:52)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#18 2023-04-04 16:03:02

golinux
Administrator

@zapper . . . Thanks for the clarity . . .  In the end the transformation that really matters is not the "movie out there" but understanding how the mind obsessively attaches to and misinterprets external events that are, in the end, inconsequential froth and foam.

#19 2023-04-05 07:07:52

zapper

golinux wrote:

@zapper . . . Thanks for the clarity . . .  In the end the transformation that really matters is not the "movie out there" but understanding how the mind obsessively attaches to and misinterprets external events that are, in the end, inconsequential froth and foam.

Some are, some aren't.

This sounds vague... well... because it is...

wink

Peace Be With us All!

#20 2023-04-05 16:37:29

golinux
Administrator

zapper wrote:

Some are, some aren't.

This sounds vague... well... because it is...

wink

Nice to know you are paying attention. smile It is a bit of a chicken egg conundrum. We are constantly experiencing sensory input. Some may be  beneficial, some harmful, some just pass through. Sorting which is which is not an easy task and ironically, it is not what comes to us but how we respond that matters and liking or disliking is the most flawed metric of all so best to choose wisely. Yes . . . the task is daunting . . .

#21 2023-04-07 04:11:43

zapper

@golinux truthfully, even if the eye candy stuff were the same as the old designs in every way but the appearance, I would still try to avoid it like the plague.

Time and time again, has already proven that as time passes, modern designs seem uglier and not better.

This is indeed my opinion, but I doubt I am the only one who thinks this.

All I have to do, is keep in mind, there are more than 8 BILLION people on the planet!

tongue

Peace Be With us All!

#22 2023-04-07 11:32:03

stopAI

aluma wrote:

Yes, it was not necessary to get down from the tree! smile

If you think that electromagnetic radiation does not harm human health, then you are very wrong.

#23 2023-04-07 15:59:37

golinux
Administrator

zapper wrote:

Time and time again, has already proven that as time passes, modern designs seem uglier and not better.

IMO that reflects the chaotic minds of the creators. Humanity is generally devolving.  Not to worry . . . AI will eventually be in charge and very little thinking from humans required . . .

#24 2023-04-07 16:00:04

yeti

Fran definitely counts to my main stream media...

Fran Blanche
    Musk And The AI Letter
    https://invidious.nerdvpn.de/watch?v=BAF8aZKUG0Y

#25 2023-04-07 16:09:39

golinux
Administrator

I listened to a minute or two of her incoherent ramblings and X'd it. How do you even come across this sort of nonsense? That is a rhetorical question BTW . . .

Board footer