The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-01-10 15:23:05

MrReplikant

A Survey of User-made Content

Full Disclosure: I act alone in this, this is not put on by the Devuan team themselves.

I would like to know who all here has software they have or would like to package for Devuan, but can't due to the limitations on Devuan's official resources. This is following up on the end of the discussion in "My crappy radio player". This is intended to get a better idea of how much "community" software would be out there for Devuan, and whether or not it's enough to make a dedicated community repository worthwhile.

Again, this is a PRELIMINARY survey, nothing is set in stone yet, I just want to get a feel of the total extent.

Last edited by MrReplikant (2023-01-10 15:23:38)

That's all, folks.

#2 2023-01-11 08:59:26

berni51
Website

Re: A Survey of User-made Content

Believe it or not, but for my daily drivers, my printservers, camservers and NFS-servers there is nothing I'm missing. I use Chimaera ans 2 Daedalus installations and everything I need is in the repositories. It was never necessary to compile a program from source. So I'm quite happy with Devuan. Maybe I'm unpretentious, but thats my situation. 

Regards
Berni

The good ol' days will not return, and the rocks might smelt and the sea may burn.

#3 2023-01-12 12:02:00

MiyoLinux

I have several things... tongue ...that I've built (aka coded) and include with MiyoLinux releases, but I don't think they're really worth making "repository builds" for; they're basically just convenience-items that I include on MiyoLinux.  wink

Perhaps My Crappy Radio Player and the MiyoLinux Update Notifier (which I don't actually include in MiyoLinux releases) may be of interest to some folks? I don't know, but I would be glad to package them for a Community Repository if desired.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#4 2023-01-13 21:11:44

zapper

MiyoLinux wrote:

I have several things... tongue ...that I've built (aka coded) and include with MiyoLinux releases, but I don't think they're really worth making "repository builds" for; they're basically just convenience-items that I include on MiyoLinux.  wink

Perhaps My Crappy Radio Player and the MiyoLinux Update Notifier (which I don't actually include in MiyoLinux releases) may be of interest to some folks? I don't know, but I would be glad to package them for a Community Repository if desired.

jwmkit is a good example of this
sct which is set color temperature is a massively huge example of this. faf currently is working on a fork of sct,  that is more or less, a continuation of it.

Noods is good, for a DS emulator.  its pronounced like this tho:

Noo-ds.

I feel the need to mention to him that he may want to space it to make sure people know its not called Noods.

tongue

multiload-ng-systray is another

Btw, if you want more examples for community software that is actually good, hyperbola.info has a crapton of reasonable lightweight software packages for said purpose.

I currently am in the process of convincing a dev on the team to ditch redshift in favor of set color temperature. The one from the faf repo. smile

This all being said, this idea is in fact good.

Whoever makes this repository, I recommend you, add specifically, stuff that either

A: Debian doesn't have due to selfishness, meaning like their ideology about how wonderful it is to use redhat bloated frameworks

B: Debian cannot support even if they wanted to, which is a less guilty reason... tongue

C: Stuff neither Devuan or Debian has.  Innocent reasoning...

D:  Specifically lightweight packages that aren't traditionally available or are outdated as all hell and get important fixes from time to time.

Or E:  some mixture of the above or something else entirely.

Btw, when I gave these reasons, I speak of course, of packages that are not usually supported, etc...

@jwmkit I took your offer up to make a mention here

Btw,  I thought of something new as an idea, assuming you haven't already done this, make it so we can add icons from a zip directly into jwmkit instead of the standard ones. For everything we usually use it for, etc...

Meaning when we use jwm.

I had heard of this window manager called uwm, but I haven't figured out how to use it, hence why I want to try their icons out for my purposes.

wink

Btw, hopefully someday HyperbolaBSD becomes a beta or beyond, but if that day comes, I hope you guys will at a some point, choose to make your own forks, or help with it, etc...

I do recall seeing some people at one point who had interest in a Devuan flavored HyperbolaBSD type blend.

big_smile

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#5 2023-01-14 01:20:01

JWM-Kit
Website

I was waiting for @zappers input from our discussion before making the suggest  of JWMKit as a possibility for this repository, but I see he already jumped in head first. wink   I guess he's quicker to action than I am.  Thanks

JWMKit is not in the Debian repository and the project was originally release here on these forums as a Refracta build of Devuan.  I do maintain debs so it should be easy to add to the repository and keep up to date.

I think it would also be nice to see things like JWM themes in the repository, and custom Devuan wallpapers, icons, etc.  Or archives of older Devuan artwork that is not in the current release.

Also having the repository would help deliver the newest versions to the user of my Devuan based JWMKit Linux.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2023-01-14 01:21:44)

#6 2023-01-14 02:21:38

zapper

JWM-Kit wrote:

I was waiting for @zappers input from our discussion before making the suggest  of JWMKit as a possibility for this repository, but I see he already jumped in head first. wink   I guess he's quicker to action than I am.  Thanks

JWMKit is not in the Debian repository and the project was originally release here on these forums as a Refracta build of Devuan.  I do maintain debs so it should be easy to add to the repository and keep up to date.

I think it would also be nice to see things like JWM themes in the repository, and custom Devuan wallpapers, icons, etc.  Or archives of older Devuan artwork that is not in the current release.

Also having the repository would help deliver the newest versions to the user of my Devuan based JWMKit Linux.

I thought that was already obvious... I was confused why you didn't reply here sooner.

xD

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#7 2023-01-14 02:41:16

MiyoLinux

zapper wrote:

has a crapton of ...

Now you're getting into my happy space! Hahahahahaha! Well said man...well said! smile
tongue

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#8 2023-01-14 04:03:33

golinux
Administrator

JWM-Kit wrote:

FYI . . . all the previous Devuan artwork is archived on our git as raw files and all the Clearlooks-Phoenix-*  debs are still available in the Chimaera repos and likely Daedalus too!

#9 2023-01-14 18:26:20

MrReplikant

JWM-Kit wrote:

So what does JWMkit....do?

That's all, folks.

#10 2023-01-14 19:22:11

JWM-Kit
Website

golinux wrote:

FYI . . . all the previous Devuan artwork is archived on our git as raw files and all the Clearlooks-Phoenix-*  debs are still available in the Chimaera repos and likely Daedalus too!

Thanks.  I remember seeing it when browsing the git, but I forgot about it.  I just needed reminded.

#11 2023-01-14 19:48:10

JWM-Kit
Website

MrReplikant wrote:

So what does JWMkit....do?

I'll keep my answer short so not to derail this thread.

JWMKit's goal is to provide JWM (Joe's WIndow Manager) with the easy of use found in much more complicated window managers and desktop environments.

I consider JWM the lightest of the window managers.  So JWMKit with JWM can provide an ultra lightweight system that is easy to use.

Check out the links in my signature for more info.  The wiki would be a good place to start.

I am the author and maintainer of JWMKit.  JWMkit should works on any distro, but in it's early days development specifically targeted Devuan.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2023-01-14 19:50:34)

#12 2023-01-14 19:58:44

golinux
Administrator

@JWM-Kit . . . This discussion piqued my interest so I went to your website and at the top of the page found this:

JavaScript error: TypeError: window.customElements is undefined (https://design.codeberg.org/components/codeberg-components.js @ 2:145333). Open browser console to see more details.
JavaScript error: TypeError: window.customElements is undefined (https://design.codeberg.org/components/codeberg-components.js @ 2:145333). Open browser console to see more details.
JavaScript error: SyntaxError: expected expression, got keyword 'import' (https://codeberg.org/assets/stlview.js @ 11:8). Open browser console to see more details.

Oops! Have no idea whether that is under your control but should probably be fixed . . . : )

#13 2023-01-14 20:05:46

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

@golinux: which browser are you using? The codeberg site works fine for me with Firefox v108.0.2.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#14 2023-01-14 20:11:08

JWM-Kit
Website

@golinux
Thanks.  It's out of my control.  it's up to codeberg.  Everything works for me.  So maybe try it again latter?

#15 2023-01-14 22:26:02

golinux
Administrator

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

@golinux: which browser are you using? The codeberg site works fine for me with Firefox v108.0.2.

102.6.0esr (64-bit)

SNS strikes again . . . This perpetual arms race is exhausting . . .

#16 2023-01-14 22:29:08

MiyoLinux

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

The codeberg site works fine for me with Firefox v108.0.2.

Wait just a stinkin' minute...

I thought you didn't like that shite???

HAHAHAHAHA!!! tongue

#17 2023-01-14 23:03:32

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

I thought you didn't like that shite?

Ahem:

$ pacman -Q firefox
firefox 108.0.2-1
$

Also: https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-p … BUILD#L142

tongue

#18 2023-01-14 23:15:48

JWM-Kit
Website

I know this is currently just in discussion, but if this comes to fruition can I suggest it be called "The Devuan Community's  Crapton Repository" or the DCCR for short.  Of course in the Devuan community It will simple be known as Crapton.

-- to be clear, I'm not expecting anyone to take this suggestion seriously.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2023-01-14 23:20:47)

#19 2023-01-14 23:24:20

MiyoLinux

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

I thought you didn't like that shite?

Ahem:

$ pacman -Q firefox
firefox 108.0.2-1
$

Also: https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-p … BUILD#L142

tongue

Sorry...I had to delete and edit my previous post since JWM-Kit responded while I was typing. tongue

Here's what I wrote...

Bwahahaha! big_smile

Touché  tongue

Hey man...I don't know if this will mean anything to you brother, but here's what I get when I try clicking on the link in your signature...

I'm too much of a conspiracy-theorist to allow it... -_-

2023-01-14-181357-1366x768-scrot.png

big_smile

#20 2023-01-14 23:27:15

MiyoLinux

JWM-Kit wrote:

I know this is currently just in discussion, but if this comes to fruition can I suggest it be called "The Devuan Community's  Crapton Repository" or the DCCR for short.  Of course in the Devuan community It will simple be known as Crapton.

-- to be clear, I'm not expecting anyone to take this suggestion seriously.

I don't know, but I think Crapton is a great name for it...but that's just me and my quirkyness...  tongue

#21 2023-01-14 23:27:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

JWM-Kit wrote:

I'm not expecting anyone to take this suggestion seriously.

Too late — I've set it up over at my OBS account:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show … Stick:DCCR

big_smile

EDIT:

@Miyo: the SSL certificate expired last year. Those bloody anarchists need to get organised...

Just click on "Advanced" then add an exception for the site but be warned that viewing it will probably land you on an FBI watchlist.

Make no mistake: I am a dangerous far-left radical hell bent on overthrowing Western "civilisation".

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2023-01-14 23:30:18)

#22 2023-01-14 23:36:51

MiyoLinux

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

@Miyo: the SSL certificate expired last year. Those bloody anarchists need to get organised...

Just click on "Advanced" then add an exception for the site but be warned that viewing it will probably land you on an FBI watchlist.

yikes

Perhaps this means that when I visit London, you won't be giving me a ride on your motorbike...and wrecking with me as a passenger in the process???

LOLOLOL!!! tongue

#23 2023-01-14 23:42:05

JWM-Kit
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Sweet.  I didn't say I wasn't serious, just that I didn't expect anyone to take me serious.  big_smile

#24 2023-01-14 23:45:06

MiyoLinux

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
JWM-Kit wrote:

I'm not expecting anyone to take this suggestion seriously.

big_smile

EDIT:

Make no mistake: I am a dangerous far-left radical hell bent on overthrowing Western "civilisation".

I'm just getting off from working 36 hours straight...

I'll make .deb packages for My Crappy Radio Player and the MiyoLinux Update Notifier after I've had time to recover. HoaS, what do I need to do in order to upload them to your site?

#25 2023-01-15 10:13:43

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

I'll make .deb packages for My Crappy Radio Player and the MiyoLinux Update Notifier after I've had time to recover. HoaS, what do I need to do in order to upload them to your site?

The original source tarball (.orig.tar.gz), the .dsc file and the debian.tar.xz file.

MiyoLinux wrote:

I'm a dangerous far-right radical

Lol. You don't fool me Miyo — you're far too nice to be right-wing wink

Board footer