The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-12 22:32:07

MiyoLinux

[MiyoLinux] 64bit only - Update Notifier Icon missing.

Just discovered this today, and I apologize for any problems this may have caused people.

MiyoLinux comes with an update notifier that allows users to click its icon in the system tray in order to install updates. Somehow, I neglected to change the icon in the file path in the latest 64bit version of MiyoLinux (miyolinux-64bit-120316.iso). It still gives a desktop notification (without the icon), but it doesn't show in the system tray since its icon is missing. I sincerely apologize and am embarrassed about this.

It's easily fixed though. smile

Simply open your terminal and enter the following...

sudo leafpad /usr/share/pointlinux/update-notifier/pointlinux-update-notifier.py

After the file opens in Leafpad, scroll about 1/3 of the way down the file until you see the following...if you enable line numbers, it's line #35 that will be changed...

icon = "/usr/share/icons/PointLinux-Faenza/apps/48/update-notifier.png",

Change that line to read as follows...

icon = "/usr/share/images/updates.svg",

Then save and close the file.

Log out and log back in for it to take effect.

Again, I apologize.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2016-12-12 23:09:03)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#2 2016-12-14 11:41:52

nixer

Re: [MiyoLinux] 64bit only - Update Notifier Icon missing.

If you don't mind, I would like to know how you did it so that it can be implemented into my install. 

The package "update-notifier" wants to pull in some gnome3 stuff so I have resisted.

#3 2016-12-14 14:32:36

FOSSuser

My system already has the correct icon location in the python script. smile

keith@miyo:~$ uname -a
Linux miyo 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.36-1+deb8u2 (2016-10-19) x86_64 GNU/Linux

#4 2016-12-14 15:25:30

MiyoLinux

nixer wrote:

If you don't mind, I would like to know how you did it so that it can be implemented into my install. 

The package "update-notifier" wants to pull in some gnome3 stuff so I have resisted.

Hi nixer.

I used the PointLinux update notifier. Depending on your existing install, it will pull in very few dependencies or none at all. I used the .deb file located here...

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/poin … -notifier/

After it's installed, you will need to go into your file manager as root and change the file path to the icon used (as I outlined above). You can change the icon to any that you'd like to use...just make sure to put the correct path to the icon.

Then, restart your computer for the update notifier to start working.

If you'd like to use the icon that I use in Miyo, you can download it from my pCloud here...

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code … 1z345uGcAX

Below is a screenshot of what you'll see...a desktop notification and a notification in the panel's system tray. To install updates, click the icon in the system tray. Enter your password, and Synaptic will open and display the available updates. When you "Mark" them for installation, they will immediately be installed.

Hope that helps.

2016-12-14-100511-1280x1024-scrot.png?693

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#5 2016-12-14 15:36:12

FOSSuser

.......& if you are worried about gtk3 items, in a terminal, enter & run 'apt search gtk3'. smile

#6 2016-12-14 20:26:28

nixer

Thank you Miyolinux! 

I installed that program and it just notified me of updates being available.  By the way, I have it on a Devuan install, not Miyolinux.  I figured that if it works on one, then it should work on the other.  So far no problems and it pulled in no additional dependencies.

#7 2016-12-14 22:18:50

MiyoLinux

nixer wrote:

Thank you Miyolinux! 

I installed that program and it just notified me of updates being available.  By the way, I have it on a Devuan install, not Miyolinux.  I figured that if it works on one, then it should work on the other.  So far no problems and it pulled in no additional dependencies.

My pleasure; I'm glad to help as I'm able. smile

From your original inquiry, I assumed you were referring to a straight Devuan install rather than Miyo. I'm just glad to hear that you're using Devuan! big_smile

I think the most dependencies this particular update notifier has ever pulled in were 2. I can't remember what they were, but I had added the update notifier before adding much else to the system. Seems like they were just some libs. 99.9% of the time, everything is already installed that it needs. That's one reason I like this particular updater. It does the job, does it well, and doesn't require anything to do so.

Something crossed my mind that I would like to say about the updater...

It uses the dist-upgrade command to install updates. So, I would advise for you (and any possible Miyo users...if there are still any tongue big_smile ) to keep an eye out for the upcoming upgrade from Jessie to Ascii. When it happens, I would suggest following Devuan's upgrade procedure rather than letting the update notifier do the upgrade. It may not cause a problem, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

@FOSSuser: Thanks for the input! I certainly appreciate it friend! I'm wondering if the version of Miyo you're running has the correct icon, then perhaps you have the original 64bit MiyoLinux version? The missing icon in the 64bit version was from the latest release. Either that, or I neglected to install the latest release on the machine I discovered this on, and it's perhaps still running the Beta version of the latest release. If that's the case, I'm even more embarrassed! LOL! smile

Either way, I'm glad that I had the opportunity to help nixer.

#8 2016-12-15 00:58:29

nixer

It uses the dist-upgrade command to install updates.

Can you offer suggestions on what to change in lines 42 and/or 48 to have the updater script to do an "apt-get upgrade" instead of a "apt-get dist-upgrade"?

I could do a trial and error but I don't want to mess anything up.  Thanks again.

#9 2016-12-15 04:37:18

MiyoLinux

nixer wrote:

It uses the dist-upgrade command to install updates.

Can you offer suggestions on what to change in lines 42 and/or 48 to have the updater script to do an "apt-get upgrade" instead of a "apt-get dist-upgrade"?

I could do a trial and error but I don't want to mess anything up.  Thanks again.

Hi nixer.

Please read all of this post before making any changes, and make your decision based on the post as a whole. smile

You can change those lines as follows...

Line 42 will be...

check = "/usr/bin/apt-get -s upgrade | /bin/grep -c '^Inst '",

Line 48 will be...

gui = "/usr/bin/gksu '/usr/sbin/synaptic --upgrade-mode true --non-interactive'",

Edited to add: I then rebooted the computer just to make sure the changes took place.

Now, I've never attempted changing those before. So this was just an experiment. I did this on a fresh install of Miyo, and it works fine.

HOWEVER, it also wanted to upgrade Firefox-ESR...which caused me some concern. Normally, from my experience with Debian, an upgrade of Firefox ESR required a dist-upgrade. I can't say for sure that it works the same in Devuan.

So...

After allowing the updater to show me the updates in Synaptic, I canceled it. Then I tried running updates through the terminal with just the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade commands. It showed the same 6 upgrades as the updater showed in Synaptic...INCLUDING Firefox-ESR. Normally, (and you're probably well aware of this) if there's...let's say 1 item requiring a dist-upgrade, it will show as --> 1 not upgraded. So, I was assured that everything was fine as far as what was a regular upgrade.

I then canceled that upgrade, and ran apt-get dist-upgrade. It showed the same 6 upgrades again.

So, it appears that the upgrade of the latest Firefox ESR is included as a regular upgrade as opposed to a dist-upgrade.

It also appears that changing those lines will change the script to run an upgrade instead of a dist-upgrade.

Be aware though...

If you do change those lines, you should still check periodically (via the terminal) for a dist-upgrade; otherwise, you may miss out on some important updates that are needed. wink

Hope that helped.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2016-12-15 04:38:37)

#10 2016-12-15 10:26:05

nixer

Thank you very much MiyoLinux!  I will make these changes and test them out before fully trusting them.

Yes, those updates were normal updates as I received them about the same time. 

I was thinking about this overnight and it may not matter as much as I thought because devuan uses the release name "jessie" in the apt sources.list file and not the words stable and unstable.  Based on the old debian way, this would produce no change when the new release went live in devuan.  Personally, I prefer it this way as a major update (dist-upgrade) should only be done after I have prepared for it, like backing up data.

But still, apt-get upgrade is safer than a dist-upgrade.  Thanks again.

#11 2016-12-15 11:34:47

FOSSuser

I'm not sure which one I'm actually using in this instance, if there isn't much difference, then 'uname -a' wouldn't really say much. smile

I installed 'a' 64 bit system to a pendrive, but have updated it in situ, so whilst I have 2 versions downloaded, one has a modified date of 28 Nov, the other has 11 Dec, so this one I'm using may very well be less than the latest, sorry about that. smile

#12 2016-12-15 16:34:30

MiyoLinux

FOSSuser wrote:

I'm not sure which one I'm actually using in this instance, if there isn't much difference, then 'uname -a' wouldn't really say much. smile

I installed 'a' 64 bit system to a pendrive, but have updated it in situ, so whilst I have 2 versions downloaded, one has a modified date of 28 Nov, the other has 11 Dec, so this one I'm using may very well be less than the latest, sorry about that. smile

Ah...got it.

The last release came out on 4 December. Not much changed from the previous release. Here are the changes...

The installer is located in the Desktop folder.
Added the full Faba(s) and Moka icons.
Added NuoveXT.2.2 (LXDE) icons.
Added MiyoLinux Mix Theme to the 32bit version.
Added two "clickable/scrollable" desktops to the Tint2 panel.
Added the ability to disable touchpads in the Autostart file.
Added a few Keyboard shortcuts for user's convenience
Changed MiyoLinux Gray Theme to the newer colors.

Keyboard shortcuts...

The W is the Windows key.

W + Space = Menu
W + b = Browser (Firefox ESR)
W + f = File Manager
W + q = Exit Menu
Alt + F2 = gmrun (application launcher)
Ctrl + Alt + t = Terminal
PRTSC = Scrot (Screenshot of desktop)

Other than that, the only other change was me forgetting to change the update notifier's icon in the 64bit version. tongue. LOL!

Thank you FOSS. smile

#13 2016-12-16 19:11:56

MiyoLinux

nixer wrote:

But still, apt-get upgrade is safer than a dist-upgrade.

Thank you for pointing this potential problem out nixer. I have made the appropriate posts on the MiyoLinux Wiki due to your input. smile

#14 2016-12-24 16:07:27

MiyoLinux

Just noticed that with the most recent update, the Devuan "Purpy" theme and Mate icons are included.

If anyone has changed the Update Notifier to use the "update" command instead of the "dist-upgrade" command, you won't receive the new Purpy theme and Mate icons in MiyoLinux...so you'll need to run an apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade if you would like them added to your system.

Thanks Devuan!

#15 2016-12-24 17:00:18

golinux
Administrator

MiyoLinux wrote:

Just noticed that with the most recent update, the Devuan "Purpy" theme and Mate icons are included.

Oh, thanks for posting that. Centurion_Dan was working on the packaging for desktop-base but I haven't see a default install yet.  Does Clearlooks-Phenix-Purpy play nicely (or at all) with MiyoLinux ?  And . . . I don't know if MiyoLinux uses slim but if yes, that should now be purpy too.

#16 2016-12-24 18:00:31

MiyoLinux

MiyoLinux uses lightdm; however, with this update, the Purpy theme integrates perfectly with the themes on MiyoLinux from what I can tell...both with the Widget and WIndow Border theme. wink

Thank you golinux...for all you do with the Purpy theme! smile

#17 2016-12-26 22:28:45

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

Does Clearlooks-Phenix-Purpy play nicely (or at all) with MiyoLinux ?

golinux,

After further consideration, I thought you might appreciate a visual to see your Purpy theme on MiyoLinux. smile

For the screenshot, I Purpy-ized MiyoLinux to show how it works in widgets, window borders, and the menu; however, instead of using the Mate icons that were included with the update, I used Fabo-Mono...I thought their purple shade might blend in well with your Purpy theme. Just click the image to enlarge it. wink

screenshot-12262016-05-16-27-pm_1.png?1482790756

#18 2016-12-26 22:51:09

golinux
Administrator

MiyoLinux wrote:
golinux wrote:

Does Clearlooks-Phenix-Purpy play nicely (or at all) with MiyoLinux ?

golinux,

After further consideration, I thought you might appreciate a visual to see your Purpy theme on MiyoLinux. smile

For the screenshot, I Purpy-ized MiyoLinux to show how it works in widgets, window borders, and the menu; however, instead of using the Mate icons that were included with the update, I used Fabo-Mono...I thought their purple shade might blend in well with your Purpy theme. Just click the image to enlarge it. wink

https://13707080-557519846114226283.preview.editmysite.com/uploads/1/3/7/0/13707080/editor/screenshot-12262016-05-16-27-pm_1.png?1482790756

Thank you for this!  Yes, it is nice and purpy now. Good to hear that the Mate icons were default. Where can I dl the "Fabo-Mono" icon set?  Not one hit on google for it.  I would like to recolor them to a more compatible hue (currently too pink and those bright blue ones would have to go). That would give users another option.  Was the DMZ (white) mouse icon theme also default?  Cheers for all your excellent contributions!

Last edited by golinux (2016-12-26 22:51:47)

#19 2016-12-27 00:06:35

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

Thank you for this!  Yes, it is nice and purpy now. Good to hear that the Mate icons were default. Where can I dl the "Fabo-Mono" icon set?  Not one hit on google for it.  I would like to recolor them to a more compatible hue (currently too pink and those bright blue ones would have to go). That would give users another option.  Was the DMZ (white) mouse icon theme also default?  Cheers for all your excellent contributions!

Oh no ma'am...I didn't mean to give the wrong impression. Neither the Purpy theme nor Mate icons became default in MiyoLinux after the update...they just became "a part of and available" to use in MiyoLinux after the update. My apologies for not clarifying that.

As to where to download the Faba-Mono icons...that was a typo. I wrote Fabo where I should have written Faba. Again, my apologies.

I borrowed them from the distro that originally turned me into an Openbox fan and user. I don't know if it's proper here on the forum to mention non-Devuan distros, so what I will do is give you the link to download them from me. I downloaded them from that distro's Sourceforge page. If you or another Moderator says that it's okay to mention the distro's name and/or download link, I'll give it. Otherwise, my download is the exact same as what you'd get from their Sourceforge page...since that's where I got it from. wink

Here's the link where you can download them from me. Be aware though golinux, the download includes both Faba-Mono and Moka icons. wink

Thank you for your kind words. smile Here's the download link...

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code … NeE5Rm5Wf7

Edited to add: Yes, the DMZ cursor theme is "sort of" default in MiyoLinux. I have it set as the default cursor; however, Adwaita (black) still shows on the Lightdm login screen.

Since MiyoLinux is a base system allowing users to do what they want, I didn't want to force a cursor on them. Users can still set the default cursor by opening their terminal and running the following command...

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme

...then enter the number that corresponds with their cursor of choice. I personally prefer the  white oxygen cursor myself. wink

Thanks again...

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2016-12-27 00:18:49)

Board footer