The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2022-11-20 01:27:36

steve_v

Re: Devuan: Existential issues.

devuanuser wrote:

remember to make an effort to man up and actually answer the OP questions

Sure, I'll get right on that. As soon as somebody starts paying me to man the helpdesk. roll

In case you have somehow missed the memo, nobody here is obliged to be nice to you, answer your posts exactly the way you like, or try to help you at all for that matter.
Devuan is not obliged to provide you with anything either, let alone pander to your pedantic expectations, and the included software comes with no warranty of any kind. If you don't like it the way it is, either do something constructive about it or don't use it.

Throwing a tantrum over such trivial matters as covered in this thread is entirely on you. If you're going to behave that way, then I expect this community is better of without you anyway.

Sheesh, the entitlement of some people. All over an "alarming" lack of gnome-user-manager preinstalled FFS.

Last edited by steve_v (2022-11-20 01:30:33)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#27 2022-11-20 08:48:07

aluma

If we talk about capital letters, then I would write with these letters and place on the start pages of sites:
"IN THE LINUX COMMUNITY NO ONE OWES ANYTHING TO ANYONE!" smile

Last edited by aluma (2022-11-20 08:48:29)

#28 2022-11-20 09:51:10

Camtaf

Throwing a tantrum over such trivial matters as covered in this thread is entirely on you. If you're going to behave that way, then I expect this community is better of without you anyway.

We certainly will be......

.... the entitlement of some people. All over an "alarming" lack of gnome-user-manager preinstalled

.....& hasn't the common sense to install it for themself....

I wonder how the poster will fair on the Slackware forums...... wink

#29 2022-11-20 12:13:42

steve_v

Camtaf wrote:

I wonder how the poster will fair on the Slackware forums.

Poorly, if they expect there to be a preinstalled GUI tool for every administrative task and throw a "but mah desktop-iso" wobbly when people point them to CLI utilities and manual pages.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#30 2022-11-20 15:01:37

Altoid

Hello:

Camtaf wrote:

I wonder how the poster will fair ...

Right ...

It would seem that those of us who had something to say have already said it and in the best possible way.
Whether it made any sense or helped at all is up to the OP and how he processes it.

But beyond that, there's no need to keep picking on the chap.

I'd like to think that we are better than that.

Best,

A.

Last edited by Altoid (2022-11-20 15:02:32)

#31 2022-11-20 18:45:11

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

devuanuser wrote:

I did. You're welcome.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#32 2022-11-21 03:35:37

zapper

devuanuser wrote:
ralph.ronnquist wrote:

It's vaguely interesting that you want to whine so incessantly about what you have and haven't installed.
Please go on.

I try a last time.
Give factual answers please and not just innuendo and vague opinions.

1) Why is there no gui-based User config in Devian Desktop.
You claim there is ... please provide program name and directory
2) Why does the Live version allow capitalized user names but the Desktop version only allows lowercase.

Thanks

Uh... yeah... lol

I just want to make something clear...

I do not see any innuendos...

big_smile

You silly thing you...

smile

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#33 2022-11-21 03:46:14

zapper

steve_v wrote:
devuanuser wrote:

Sheesh, the entitlement of some people. All over an "alarming" lack of gnome-user-manager preinstalled FFS.

There is a better way anyhow, he could just...

*GASP* NOT USE GNOME!

*HORRIBLE*

tongue

I am one of the few out there who want a stable, libre, privacy focused simplisticly designed system, meaning, the core of the system of an OS, to me shouldn't adopt every bloated corporate ideal under the sun. Aka, java, anything requiring dbus, systemd, wayland, pulseaudio, pipewire, openssl only, as mandatory dependencies and stuff like it, as much as possible.

This all being said, with linux, the more you are willing to do DIY, it seems like the more potential for actual stability, security, freedom, etc... otherwise you get a mess... all for the sake of shiny eye candy.

Btw, it would have been easier if this person just instaled XFCE4. While this isn't free from the crap I mentioned, completely, it is at least many times more stable from what I remember than the following:
KDE
GNOME
MATE
LXQT
CINNAMON
Some window managers that are bloated as well, etc...

This has been my past experience btw... when I used devuan and other systems prior especially... with the exception of my current system of course... smile

Btw, using the terminal is not as hard as newbies or outsiders to linux would think. The documentation is friggin everywhere on the web lately.

Oh one last thing too, love your sarcasm... only removed that part, because mods don't like too much unneeded comments from what they reply to.

big_smile

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#34 2022-11-21 03:49:10

zapper

Camtaf wrote:

We certainly will be......

.... the entitlement of some people. All over an "alarming" lack of gnome-user-manager preinstalled

.....& hasn't the common sense to install it for themself....

I wonder how the poster will fair on the Slackware forums...... wink

Well, I used hexchat a while back trying to get help for a different distro then ArchLinux once... probably he will get similar help to how I fared then.

I quit the chat not long after due to their hypocrisy in response.

Aka, they claim lightweight DIY and yet they embrace complexity like systemd and other unneeded garbage.

Smh...

But yeah, they will love to have him there so much, that they will give him a new titled next to their name, hint it is similar to Banner, but not quite.

big_smile

Peace Be With us All!

#35 2022-11-21 03:52:09

zapper

devuanuser wrote:

No problem.
Good riddance.

Once you kids grow up, remember to make an effort to man up and actually answer the OP questions

Bye.

Btw, you really should chill, believe it or not, this is a friendlier crowd. If you want unfriendly or immature crowds, go to ArchLinux, or Debian fourms, try this stuff there, see how bad their response is.

Trust me, it won't be long till you get a new interesting title next to your username and it is similar to:

Banner

But it has one letter different.

xD

Peace Be With us All!

#36 2022-11-24 23:19:11

devuanuser

All very amusing thanks.
I have been booting Unix since the eighties, so I see a problem with a usergroup when I run across them.
This is surely one.

Cheers kids.

#37 2022-11-25 04:05:12

andyprough

devuanuser wrote:

I have been booting Unix since the eighties

In the 80s I was writing fortran programs on a timeshare computer. And I recall we didn't need GUI's for writing fortran or for Unix user administration.

Did you file a bug report regarding the capitalization issue? I can actually see how that could be problematic in certain very specific instances, although I don't think it's a huge problem. As was pointed out, probably by you yourself, it can be fixed with a simple change to a config file. But it should be corrected, and a bug report would be the proper process. There's a link at the top of this page that says "Bugs" - you can click there to go to the bug reporting page.

#38 2022-11-25 04:16:56

zapper

devuanuser wrote:

All very amusing thanks.
I have been booting Unix since the eighties, so I see a problem with a usergroup when I run across them.
This is surely one.

Cheers kids.

I don't know you well, but out of curiosity which Unix, do you plan to use?

By Unix, I mean BSD btw.

I recommend OpenBSD, if you have very basic needs.

That system puts everything including other BSDs and probably most operating systems to shame in general, due to lack of bloat and reasonable security that linux wouldn't go near ever.

Anywho, no hard feelings from me, but in all seriousness, most operating systems communities/fans have more toxicity then they should.

Point being, pick whatever OS suits you best, all I will say is, it would be wise to pick that one if you need the minimum in functionality, aka word processor, low tech games and web browser stuff.

Sorry though, I hope you know, your not the only one I do this too. I do this to anyone I consider requiring to loosen up.

Either way, peace then and have a good one!

Btw, just so you know, I am not trolling you right now.

When I troll, I prefer sarcasm or nonsense anyhow.

big_smile

Peace Be With us All!

#39 2022-11-25 04:38:05

steve_v

devuanuser wrote:

Proof positive that age does not always beget wisdom then.

devuanuser wrote:

I see a problem with a usergroup

The problem is you insulting people who volunteered their free time to try to answer your questions.
If you want guaranteed professional responses, you go to a paid support channel. This is not that, this is best-effort when-we-feel-like-it by a community of volunteers. Answers are not guaranteed, correct answers even less so.

Last edited by steve_v (2022-11-25 04:40:18)

#40 2022-11-25 04:51:46

zapper

steve_v wrote:
devuanuser wrote:

Proof positive that age does not always beget wisdom then.

devuanuser wrote:

I see a problem with a usergroup

The problem is you insulting people who volunteered their free time to try to answer your questions.
If you want guaranteed professional responses, you go to a paid support channel. This is not that, this is best-effort when-we-feel-like-it by a community of volunteers. Answers are not guaranteed, correct answers even less so.

About that... he isn't proof that age doesn't beget wisdom... well... not as much as my favourite example, anyways...

If you want a real example, look up Qanon.

big_smile

Peace Be With us All!

#41 2022-11-25 15:14:17

trinidad
Website

upgrade my rackservers

Reading through the OP's original post is confusing to me. At first the question and the praxis seem upside down i/e better to install the server first then spin up a DE after the server is configured, not the other way around. The systemd complaints seem irrelevant to me as well since we are addressing a server installation. The desktop is inconsequential if the server is installed and configured first. Anyway, since there is an existing Linux system on the server in question perhaps Debian is a better choice to begin with for simplicities sake, but it may be worth reading through the links below first.

https://www.debian.org/releases/bullsey … 03.en.html

https://systemd.io/USER_NAMES/

The OP's question is a bit ill defined in that there is no mention of the server's purpose, which also bears on the subject of user name configuration in some cases. I wish the OP only good luck, but it almost sounds like the water is little deeper than he thought it would be. Times have changed a bit.

TC

#42 2022-12-01 04:04:57

devuanuser

trinidad wrote:

upgrade my rackservers

I wish the OP only good luck, but it almost sounds like the water is little deeper than he thought it would be. Times have changed a bit.
TC

Amazing how the hyperbole develops about a person/company you know nothing about.
None of your conjectures about me or my skills are even remotely true.

But, keep it coming it is amusing as heck.
This one made us roll with laughter.

Last edited by devuanuser (2022-12-01 05:30:30)

#43 2022-12-01 04:16:09

steve_v

I distinctly recall you stating that you were leaving...
Staying for a spot of trolling perhaps, or was that all just more melodrama in keeping with your OP?

#44 2022-12-01 05:55:58

golinux
Administrator

Enough of this comedy . . .

Board footer