The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2022-11-17 01:55:31

deepforest

Re: Can you suggest some tips and tricks for speed up Devuan?

andyprough wrote:

On sysvinit you can use sysv-rc-conf to enable and disable services.

sudo sysv-rc-conf

Make sure you know what the different runlevels are, or learn them. They are fairly simple, but important.

Nice tool! Thanks!

#52 2022-11-17 03:07:02

andyprough

deepforest wrote:
andyprough wrote:

On sysvinit you can use sysv-rc-conf to enable and disable services.

sudo sysv-rc-conf

Make sure you know what the different runlevels are, or learn them. They are fairly simple, but important.

Nice tool! Thanks!

I'm like HOAS - both of us dispense 80th level magic, and both of us are too cool for forums.debian.net. And we both revere Richard Stallman like a saint.

#53 2022-11-17 03:14:54

deepforest

deepforest wrote:
Devarch wrote:

To speed up devuan I've disabled anacron. Sometimes it slows down shutdown. You can disable FS check if it's enabled.

Thanks you i will try.

Now i use several hours Trinity De its awesome so fast, response and not slowdowns, compare to default xfce

Hmm. After disabling anacron i always have this error after booting
https://i.imgur.com/lZB72tt.png
all working again after enabling anacron

Last edited by deepforest (2022-11-17 03:16:05)

#54 2022-11-17 08:35:37

aluma

The last thing I would like to do is advertise a distribution.
I just want to remind my colleagues of the ancient optimization algorithm, it began with the assembly of the kernel for specific conditions and user desires.

Here's an example, today there are modules in the kernel waiting for apparmor and tomoyo.
I have neither one nor the other, why load them into the kernel?
But I've already played enough in the compilation ...

#55 2022-11-17 11:05:00

Altoid

Hello:

aluma wrote:

... remind my colleagues of the ancient optimization algorithm ...
... assembly of the kernel for specific conditions ...

+1
With all the crap permanently being crammed into the kernel (much of it without comment), compiling the kernel will eventually become a must do for many.
ie: you end up finding out about them long after the fact when you have look at dmesg or system logs, something I do often.
That's what they are there for.

aluma wrote:

... an example ...
... modules in the kernel waiting for apparmor and tomoyo.
... have neither one nor the other, why load them ...

Well ...

Probably because there are quite a bit of aspiring Poetterings amidst the Debian devs/maintainers.
Fortunately there are ways to avoid loading them, for the time being.

aluma wrote:

... already played enough in the compilation ...

I never got around to doing that.
Too much time and energy needed.

A.

#56 2022-11-17 11:55:52

Marjorie

Devarch wrote:

To speed up devuan I've disabled anacron. Sometimes it slows down shutdown.

This strikes me as odd.

Anacron is useful on personal PCs that  you turn on and off so that scheduled cron jobs run just after startup (you can set a possibly randomised delay). This avoids  cron jobs not being run because your machine would be turned off at the time set for the cron job. On an alway-on server you would typically run such jobs in the small hours.

The jobs run by anacron are those in /etc/cron.hourly/, /etc/cron.daily/, /etc/cron.weekly/ and /etc/cron.monthly. If a job is unnecessary for you then remove it from the respective /etc/cron.*. If you think it's using too much resource consider doing it less frequently.

As I mostly hibernate rather than shut down my personal PC overnight I've also set it up so that it also checks if anacron needs to run any daily, weekly or monthly when its woken.

I can't think of any reason why anacron should delay shutdown.

#57 2022-11-17 12:33:36

Ogis1975
Website

Devarch wrote:

You can disable FS check if it's enabled.

It is not a good idea. It is highly recommended to run it when the system requests to avoid file system errors. If you permanently disable fsck checks on the partition, errors that come up in the future may get through undetected and break your kernel or corrupt your data.

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#58 2022-11-17 18:18:30

Devarch

deepforest wrote:

I've no problem with Cinnamon or Budgie.

#59 2022-11-17 18:21:42

Devarch

Marjorie wrote:
Devarch wrote:

To speed up devuan I've disabled anacron. Sometimes it slows down shutdown.

Anacron is useful on personal PCs ...

I don't use cron.

There is a bug or some problem with it. Sometimes it blocks shutdown. Quite seldom, but annoying.

#60 2022-11-17 18:28:24

Devarch

Ogis1975 wrote:
Devarch wrote:

You can disable FS check if it's enabled.

It is not a good idea. It is highly recommended to run it when the system requests to avoid file system errors. If you permanently disable fsck checks on the partition, errors that come up in the future may get through undetected and break your kernel or corrupt your data.

We are talking about speed up. FS check can be done manually and it's a good idea to have some full backups.
Anyway, almost all accelerations have a price. Even mitigations=off (which is good smile  )

I run the system on top of overlayfs. So the system is immutable and does not require FS check. It costs me some additional time to shutdown but it's good for security and performace. Also it helps to protect ssd.

#61 2022-11-18 15:40:02

deepforest

deepforest wrote:
deepforest wrote:
Devarch wrote:

To speed up devuan I've disabled anacron. Sometimes it slows down shutdown. You can disable FS check if it's enabled.

Thanks you i will try.

Now i use several hours Trinity De its awesome so fast, response and not slowdowns, compare to default xfce

Yes, sorry. That was Trinity De, aRts bug.
https://mirror.git.trinitydesktop.org/g … issues/100

Last edited by deepforest (2022-11-18 17:21:43)

#62 2022-11-18 16:10:39

steve_v

To pick on just one sliver of the considerable nonsense in here: Why on earth would you want to disable filesystem checks?
They do nothing to general system responsiveness and we haven't had actual boot-time forced fscks for anything but "oh-shit-your-fs-is-fscked" scenarios since journalling became a thing... somewhere around 2001.
Fsck is fine, leave the poor thing alone.
So is cron for that matter. Cron is nice, and cron is useful. Cron uses about 2MB of memory, and unless you have something really dumb in your crontabs it won't do anything at all to performance.

deepforest wrote:

Trinity DE and its much faster than default xfce de.

Color me not at all surprised. Almost anything is faster than the default XFCE desktop. KDE 3.x was awesome of course... but It's also pretty ancient now.
If you want to see a responsive DE though, what you really want is KDE 1.1. That's what my Pentium MMX machine runs, and it runs it swimmingly. tongue

General performance tips: Avoid DEs. Avoid GTK3. If anyone or anything mentions GNOME or GTK4, panic.
Also 99% of things written in python/pygtk seem small on-disk, but run like a gut-shot pig compared to their C/C++ counterparts. It's a trap.

Pro-level performance on almost anything: Don't install a GUI at all. If you really must fondle a rodent, use a standalone window manager.

FWIW, I played a round of the "got a cheap decade-old laptop" game recently, and ya know what? A fully-functional (though akonadi-free) plasma install uses 200-300MB less memory than the refracta XFCE setup, and is noticeably more responsive. Got more knobs and shiny bits too.

I really have no idea why XFCE is Devuan's default desktop TBH, if I had to guess "gnome without systemd is too hard, so this is as close as we can get" is the best i have.
It sure ain't because it's fast.

RIP XFCE, the mouse got fat... Ate too many gnome libraries most likely.

Trivia: You used to get a whole GUI OS (including a web browser) in less bytes than most "modern" distros kernel + modules.
You also used to be able to fit a functional GNU/Linux system on a single 1.44MB floppy disk.

Wirth's law is all too real.

Last edited by steve_v (2022-11-18 16:15:28)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#63 2022-11-18 17:31:48

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

steve_v wrote:

I really have no idea why XFCE is Devuan's default desktop TBH, if I had to guess "gnome without systemd is too hard, so this is as close as we can get" is the best i have.

The sad thing is that GNOME is actually available:

https://pkginfo.devuan.org/cgi-bin/pack … e=1:3.38+3

I know you don't like GNOME but you are in fact completely wrong. It's great.

Totally agree about Plasma though — it's been lighter than Xfce for a while now and they've just about figured out Wayland, which is nice. Too many knobs for me though.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#64 2022-11-18 17:40:19

deepforest

steve_v
This!^

Thanks you for opinion! Its very useful. Agree with you!
bloatware almost everywhere

Don't install a GUI at all

gui DE its habit

maybe in time I will find zen and come to the naked console;)

If anyone or anything mentions GNOME or GTK4

i am worry about GIMP i love him:) GTK4 ruins it too?

what do you recommend for replace GUI DE, browser, etc?

Last edited by deepforest (2022-11-18 17:41:51)

#65 2022-11-18 17:44:02

deepforest

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Devuan go wrong way?

#66 2022-11-18 17:50:25

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

deepforest wrote:

Devuan go wrong way?

I don't think so. Nothing wrong with GNOME. We don't all use stone age machines and it's nice to have a polished, professional desktop in which there is actually a design principle.

FWIW I run it on a 12 year old ThinkPad X201 and it's fine, not slow at all. I have tamed it somewhat by masking half a million services but that's a systemd feature so I won't share it here.

#67 2022-11-18 18:04:36

deepforest

Ok. Thanks.

And what mean "FWIW"?

#68 2022-11-18 18:05:29

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

For what it's worth. (Sorry.)

#69 2022-11-18 18:13:52

golinux
Administrator

deepforest wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Devuan go wrong way?

The wrong way would be to tell the user what DE/WM they can or cannot use. We offer options and the user makes the choice.

#70 2022-11-18 19:18:03

deepforest

golinux
Thanks! And we appreciate your work!

#71 2022-11-18 19:29:53

steve_v

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I know you don't like GNOME but you are in fact completely wrong. It's great.

My dislike for GNOME dates back to 1999 or thereabouts, when they replaced the lightning-fast (g)mc file manager with that abortion commonly known as "nautilus". I'm probably a bit biased. tongue

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

it's nice to have a polished, professional desktop in which there is actually a design principle.

If the holy HIG is going to give us such wonders as CSDs and removal of global theming support, you can have it. All of it, i don't even want a lick.

I'm pretty sure there's a secret design principle behind KDE too, it's "make it optional and let the user decide".

In all honesty though, i have tried the GNOME 3... And I hated every second of it. I don't like the workflow, and I'm stubborn enough to expect my environment to conform to me, not the other way around...
Also the file-picker is a meme. tongue
KDE on the other hand has enough options that i can turn off all the newfangled idiocy and get a traditional desktop with a minimum of fuss... Then probably fullscreen a terminal window and not really look at it for the rest of the day.

GNOME also tends to pull in all the other systemd/wayland/pulseaudio/networkmanager nu-linux crap, and if I didn't hate the design philosophy enough already that too would be a dealbreaker.
But that's probably a rant for a different thread.

Last edited by steve_v (2022-11-18 19:34:43)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#72 2022-11-18 21:14:16

deepforest

steve_v wrote:

My dislike for GNOME dates back to 1999 or thereabouts, when they replaced the lightning-fast (g)mc file manager with that abortion commonly known as "nautilus". I'm probably a bit biased. tongue

It's not the fault of the gnome. It's an eternal chase freesoftware to proprietary(since Unix times to MS times) trends. Why so i don`t know? Why all free gui its parody to proprietary gui?

steve_v wrote:

In all honesty though, i have tried the GNOME 3... And I hated every second of it. I don't like the workflow, and I'm stubborn enough to expect my environment to conform to me, not the other way around...

millions casual hamsters(users) not agree with you

Last edited by deepforest (2022-11-18 21:26:54)

#73 2022-11-18 21:22:54

deepforest

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
deepforest wrote:

Devuan go wrong way?

I don't think so. Nothing wrong with GNOME. We don't all use stone age machines and it's nice to have a polished, professional desktop in which there is actually a design principle.

FWIW I run it on a 12 year old ThinkPad X201 and it's fine, not slow at all. I have tamed it somewhat by masking half a million services but that's a systemd feature so I won't share it here.

True Linux nerd use only clean console(without GUI) GNOME and KDE(and all freesoftware) always been like monkey that repeats modern proprietary trends(why they don't invents something own?) That Linux its alternative to proprietary is good, but Linux always been in catch-up role.

Last edited by deepforest (2022-11-18 21:26:09)

#74 2022-11-19 09:21:36

GlennW

kde settings won't allow Capitals in usernames either, but probably just a GUI for a service.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#75 2022-11-19 09:54:02

aluma

Designing a User Interface is not an easy task. Seriously, they were taken care of by Microsoft back in the days of MS3xx. Once, even the confession of one of the developers came across on the net that a program was embedded in MS Office that sends information about the frequency of clicking on menu items. This was taken into account for the optimal arrangement of items in the menu. Users didn't know about it, of course.
Who can afford such development costs? smile

Therefore, we see copies of MCs performed by "improvers to your taste." Everyone has different tastes and tasks, and this is the result.

Our choice of the minimum DU ends when we run the application program (otherwise why do we need a computer?). Today the browser "weighs" more than WinXP on my computer once. smile
And the search for the "holy grail", for me at least, is an undertaking without much sense.
$10...30 invested in hardware will achieve much more noticeable results.

Board footer