The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-07 22:25:08

stevuan

Multi-DVD installation sets

Hello everybody,

I'm happy about Devuan. It not only provides init freedom but also runs stable and incredibly smooth and fast.

But as someone who installs also offline machines regularly I still miss one big comfortable feature. It's the multi-DVD installation sets that Debian has been providing for so many years now which makes Debian outstanding and awesome in this regard.

I searched through the net and also through this forum but still wonder why Devuan doesn't provide its package repo on a multi-dvd installation set, too.

Is this a complicated thing to achieve and if so, how could I help?

I would really love to have this Debian feature also for Devuan. It would make offline installs easy as pie and would meet one last but big advantage of Debian in offline installation cases.

Thank you and thank you for Devuan.

#2 2022-03-07 23:08:21

golinux
Administrator

Re: Multi-DVD installation sets

This wouldn't work for you?

server (~670 MB): CD1 of a 4 CD set that allows for a complete off-line server/minimal installation. The remaining CDs offer several desktop choices and a limited selection of additional software.

CD2: Xfce (installable from tasksel) and LXDE.
    CD3: MATE (installable from tasksel) and Openbox window manager.
    CD4: Cinnamon (installable from tasksel) but requires CD2 and CD3 to install.

From https://devuan.org/get-devuan

#3 2022-03-08 12:09:11

fsmithred
Administrator

There's also the pool1 iso (DVD) that has 5000 packages. That's in addition to the dvd installer iso. If those two isos don't have what you want, you could get the debian isos and carefully pull packages from there. That should work for anything that doesn't depend on systemd (directly or indirectly).

#4 2022-03-08 13:01:35

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

There is also the debian-cd package:

Debian-cd is the official tool for building Debian CD set since the potato release. It was formerly called YACS (for Yet Another CD Script).

Its goal is to facilitate the creation of customized Debian CD sets.

I've never actually tried it but it looks like it can do what the OP wants.

See https://salsa.debian.org/images-team/de … easy-build and the other README files in that directory for some guides.

And simple-cdd offers a more basic approach that may be more accessible for the n00b.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#5 2022-03-08 15:57:43

golinux
Administrator

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

There is also the debian-cd package:

If you go that route you'll need to be aware of the banned packages list or suffer the consequences.

Board footer