Administrator

The Dream

amaro wrote:

The Four Agreements, Don Miguel Ruiz

"You are dreaming right now in this moment. You are dreaming
              with the brain awake."

[cut]

Yes.

Our delusion builds mental constructs and they are passed down from generation to generation.

This is samsara.  A prison of our own making. Endless dream after dream.

It is possible to stop dreaming but it is a daunting task and very few manage to escape from the endless cycles of birth and death.

There is no other time but NOW!

Fall into it and let the bottom fall out of the dream !!

#2 2022-02-26 20:48:45

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: The Dream

Just ordered the latest version of Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook. I got knocked off by a van on Friday and separated my acromioclavicular joint so it looks like I could do with a refresher. My first crash in over 10 years. Dammit.

golinux wrote:

At the moment of impact I really wanted to fall back into the dream but riding is great because it forces you to live in the moment, or at least as close to the moment as our sensorium will allow.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2022-02-26 21:31:27

andyprough

golinux wrote:

Our delusion builds mental constructs and they are passed down from generation to generation.

This is samsara.  A prison of our own making. Endless dream after dream.

It is possible to stop dreaming but it is a daunting task and very few manage to escape from the endless cycles of birth and death.

Samsara is a frightening concept. An endless prison that we are constantly creating for ourselves. Oddly, it's also my all-time favorite movie, by director Pan Nalin: https://archive.org/details/Samsara-PanNalin

Strange how Samsara can stir up such feelings of longing and dark foreboding at the same time. The desire to live past one short lifetime is intense, but the price paid is incalculable. The dangerous river of eternity.

#4 2022-02-26 21:52:30

golinux
Administrator

andyprough wrote:

The desire to live past one short lifetime is intense, but the price paid is incalculable. The dangerous river of eternity.

Well said, Andy. Those who are suffering hope for a better life. Even those who have a wonderful life want more.  The thirst is insatiable and fuels the cycle.

The error humans make is to assume a transition to the same time, place and species.  Destinations are infinite which makes the prospect even more terrifying.

Unless the mind is very disciplined, it is a roll of the dice.  That is what stopping the dream and practicing to be  here and now is about. Over time the dream fades and there is just now.

I'll have a look at the movie later.

#5 2022-02-26 22:03:18

golinux
Administrator

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Just ordered the latest version of Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook. I got knocked off by a van on Friday and separated my acromioclavicular joint so it looks like I could do with a refresher. My first crash in over 10 years. Dammit.

Oh NOOOooooo!

/me sends HoaS another virtual hug

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

At the moment of impact I really wanted to fall back into the dream but riding is great because it forces you to live in the moment, or at least as close to the moment as our sensorium will allow.

Any form of intense concentration touches NOW.  But that alone does not dispel the dream because the dream will return as soon as that concentration is broken.

#6 2022-02-27 00:44:01

golinux
Administrator

Did a 5 minute jump through from beginning to end. Stunning visuals wasted on such silliness, self-indulgence, and fantasy.  Nothing of liberative value there.  Just a celebration of excesses and stereotypes that perpetuate the dream.

#7 2022-02-27 20:38:25

amaro

golinux wrote:

Just a celebration of excesses and stereotypes that perpetuate the dream.

Lots of books, movies, theories fall into this category.
I see a lot of people explain one dream from the perspective of another (their) dream pretending their dream is freedom.
The easiest IMO, yet the hardest way out, is through learning most logical fallacies and avoiding them both in speech and thoughts.
This also helps staying as much as possible in a state of consciousness.
The moment one's attention shifts away from consciousness the dream of the society is there to cloud one's mind.
In the end one can only save oneself.

#8 2022-02-28 04:17:31

golinux
Administrator

@amaro . . . What exactly does "state of consciousness" mean to you?

In just a few crude words . . . I understand consciousness to be the receptor of all incoming data whether physical through the 5 physical sense doors or mental.  What we do with that information after contact is where humans get into trouble and start dreaming.  Noting what floats by without following it down a rabbit hole lessens the hold that dreaming has on the mind and brings it closer to NOW which is gone in a nano second (poetic not an actual measurement).

#9 2022-02-28 12:58:40

amaro

golinux wrote:

@amaro . . . What exactly does "state of consciousness" mean to you?

In just a few crude words . . . I understand consciousness to be the receptor of all incoming data whether physical through the 5 physical sense doors or mental.  What we do with that information after contact is where humans get into trouble and start dreaming.  Noting what floats by without following it down a rabbit hole lessens the hold that dreaming has on the mind and brings it closer to NOW which is gone in a nano second (poetic not an actual measurement).

Totally agree. Interacting with that data is where logical fallacies come into play. And once they interpret the data they make not following the data from outside the hardest past.

But there is also info that comes from within. And it should be approached in the same way - by not following. But the logical fallacies are there too. And they make not following the data from within impossible for the average Joe.

Identification with what comes from within is so enormous that the very idea of separating oneself from it is usually perceived as too esoteric to be even taken into consideration.

That is IMO why many people who manage to get out of the society dream are tempted to fall into some kind of personal dream.

So, to me "state of consciousness" is neither. It is being 99.99% aware of all the info that comes from outside and from inside and not following anything. That may seem passive but it is cogruent with the original being which is found once one starts to just note all the info flying around without interacting with it. It, the original being, is there all the time. But its voice is supressed when one engages in those dreams.

That is because interacting with any of the dreams, personal or social, is usually in conflict with the origianl being. And it requires supressing the voice of the original being. One either follows the voice of his orginal being or interacts with parts of some dream.

In a way, it is not much different from the real life where one is either awake or is asleep.

#10 2022-02-28 20:06:03

golinux
Administrator

Yes, incoming data is just a springboard to dreams and that is where the real challenge lies. Some experiences are pleasant, greed/attachment arise and the mind seeks more. Some are painful, aversion arises and the mind recoils. Other incoming objects are so uninteresting we fall asleep or frantically seek pleasure to keep the dream alive. Better to just observe the whole contaminated process with detachment.

And an observation . . . the formatting of the text in the original Ruiz quote is producing line breaks.  Would be easier to read if the text could just flow.  However, it does give me an opportunity to note annoyance, so thank you for that . . .  big_smile

#11 2022-03-01 13:07:33

amaro

@golinux
I use 'epr/epy' from 'github' to read ebooks in terminal. Just copied the text from the terminal.
I have just posted new quote from a book I've just started.
This time I used 'epy' to open it in 'vim'.

You can check the formatting and let me know if there is a difference compared to previous one.
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=34963#p34963

#12 2022-03-01 16:15:54

golinux
Administrator

amaro wrote:

@golinux
You can check the formatting and let me know if there is a difference compared to previous one.
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=34963#p34963

Yes, better.  Could you please edit the other one also? I don't like to mess with content of users' posts.

As to the psychobabble . . . sooooo many words to state the obvious.  Not impressed . . .

As long a greed hatred and delusion exist in the mind, bias whether conscious or not, is inevitable. Duh . . .

Board footer