The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2021-12-30 11:57:56

hevidevi

Re: Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas

Im not religious but i do believe there is higher powers, i say powers (plural) as i dont believe in universality, i think many powers converged to create or make what we see and experience today, and in saying that those powers can just as easily take them away or change them beyond comprehension.

Last edited by hevidevi (2021-12-30 11:58:28)

#52 2021-12-30 16:08:20

golinux
Administrator

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Newton's laws have already been shown to be nothing more than a vague approximation, as has Einstein's theory of General Relativity.

FWIW I find Loop Quantum Gravity to be the most appealing of the current theories on offer but we don't have enough data to make any firm statements. Yet.

The human mind has infinite ways to entertain itself with excursions like these while ignoring the reality of the present and thus remaining mired in ignorance.  wink

#53 2021-12-30 17:04:38

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ Well it's certainly one of my coping mechanisms, along with trolling. How do you manage?

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#54 2021-12-30 17:42:48

andyprough

hevidevi wrote:

Im not religious but i do believe there is higher powers, i say powers (plural) as i dont believe in universality, i think many powers converged to create or make what we see and experience today, and in saying that those powers can just as easily take them away or change them beyond comprehension.

There's something very close to what you describe in mainstream biblical scholarship called the Deuteronomy 32:8-9 worldview, which attempts to reconcile all the "divine council" power sharing scenes in Deuteronomy, Job, and many other places in the Hebrew Tanakh (Old Testament). Very fascinating stuff. There's a cool ancient Hebrew scholar named Dr. Michael Heiser that does youtube videos on it - search for his videos on the "Unseen Realm" if interested.

Last edited by andyprough (2021-12-30 23:11:06)

#55 2021-12-30 17:43:52

sgage

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

^ Well it's certainly one of my coping mechanisms, along with trolling. How do you manage?

I manage by immersing myself in actual reality. Not virtual, not augmented, not theoretical, but real, physical reality. I cut my firewood, I take care of my livestock (goats, sheep, and chickens), I grow as much as I can in my garden in season (it's now under half a foot of snow). That sort of thing. I entertain myself by walking in the woods here with my dogs, and playing music alone and with my friends (haven't been in a band for a while), and so forth. Now I am older and also somewhat disabled, so I have learned how to pace myself.

Here in the US, our 'culture' is, quite frankly, psychotic, and our society isn't a society. Things seem grim, and I believe, along with Yeats,  that

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world...

There is nothing I can do about it - it seems like a Juggernaut bearing down. About the best you can do is try to get out of the way.

Hey! Happy New Year Everybody!!!  :-)

Last edited by sgage (2021-12-30 17:49:46)

#56 2021-12-30 18:34:29

golinux
Administrator

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

In a few cryptic words . . . by not following the rabbit down the rabbit hole.

Data impinges on the eye, ear, nose, tongue, physical body and mind. Where we take it from there is a choice.  We can either note the event and let it go or follow the rabbit into a Proustian novella of mental spaghetti.

With practice, the reaction to these events swings with less force and stays closer to a place of neutral observation.  Like frames in a video the discreet events go by but the mind does not latch on to and follow them down the rabbit hole so over time there is less and less to cope with.

This is a taste of freedom from impulses that bring us so much grief.

#57 2021-12-30 20:27:06

aitor
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

Also...just as alphalpha has witnessed, every magnet that I own is flat and shaped like a disc. Now I'm starting to think that the earth is flat also based upon the magnetism that I can observe.

Earth's magnetic field protects the atmosphere from the solar wind resulting in the beautiful physical phenomenon known as Aurora Borealis. On the other hand, this magnetic field is generated by the movement of the metallic liquid in the core, in much the same way as the one generated by a solenoid, but as opposed to your magnets, which consists of some metals previously surrounded by a magnetic field so that all of its sub-atomic spins (microscopic fields that were cancelled each other out) point now in the same direction creating altogether a macroscopic one.

This said, in the flat model Earth's magnetic field couldn't exist (where is the volume of metallic liquid?). And even if it could, it wouldn't be able to protect the atmosphere in the various directions without certain degree of spherical symmetry. As a result, the atmosphere would be lost as happened in Mars.

If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

#58 2021-12-30 20:34:22

MiyoLinux

aitor wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

Also...just as alphalpha has witnessed, every magnet that I own is flat and shaped like a disc. Now I'm starting to think that the earth is flat also based upon the magnetism that I can observe.

Earth's magnetic field protects the atmosphere from the solar wind resulting in the beautiful physical phenomenon known as Aurora Borealis. On the other hand, this magnetic field is generated by the movement of the metallic liquid in the core, in much the same way as the one generated by a solenoid, but as opposed to your magnets, which consists of some metals previously surrounded by a magnetic field so that all of its sub-atomic spins (microscopic fields that were cancelled each other out) point now in the same direction creating altogether a macroscopic one.

This said, in the flat model Earth's magnetic field couldn't exist (where is the volume of metallic liquid?). And even if it could, it wouldn't be able to protect the atmosphere in the various directions without certain degree of spherical symmetry. As a result, the atmosphere would be lost as happened in Mars.

There is no liquid core. The earth is hollow. Just ask the Lizard People.

tongue

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#59 2021-12-31 11:22:12

hevidevi

andyprough wrote:
hevidevi wrote:

There's something very close to what you describe in mainstream biblical scholarship called the Deuteronomy 32:8-9 worldview, which attempts to reconcile all the "divine council" power sharing scenes in Deuteronomy, Job, and many other places in the Hebrew Tanakh (Old Testament). Very fascinating stuff. There's a cool ancient Hebrew scholar named Dr. Michael Heiser that does youtube videos on it - search for his videos on the "Unseen Realm" if interested.

With all due respect, no thankyou.

#60 2022-01-02 14:59:55

Nili
Website

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Everybody!

openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

#61 2022-01-03 04:07:54

LU344928

hevidevi wrote:

so mythology = fantasy ?

Not trying to be divisive, just trying to understand your point.

In the words of Thomas Paine, it's "a parody on the worship of the sun"

Google is not your friend

#62 2022-01-03 04:14:59

LU344928

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

... as has Einstein's theory of General Relativity.

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/784989

#63 2022-01-03 15:03:23

anticapitalista

LU344928 wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I like this though -

Disclaimer: AAAS and EurekAlert! are not responsible for the accuracy of news releases posted to EurekAlert! by contributing institutions or for the use of any information through the EurekAlert system.

#64 2022-01-03 15:29:36

LU344928

anticapitalista wrote:
LU344928 wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I like this though -

Disclaimer: AAAS and EurekAlert! are not responsible for the accuracy of news releases posted to EurekAlert! by contributing institutions or for the use of any information through the EurekAlert system.

In the right-hand column:

#65 2022-01-07 22:19:42

aitor
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

...and if ralph.ronnquist reads this from down-under....

¡ɹǝʞɐǝus ʎʞɐǝus noʎ˙˙˙˙noʎ ƃuᴉɥɔʇɐʍ ɯ,I

This deflection of your works may well be another evidence of the roundness of the Earth (Coriolis)

If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

#66 2022-01-08 03:44:00

MiyoLinux

aitor wrote:

This deflection of your works may well be another evidence of the roundness of the Earth (Coriolis)

Oh.

big_smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#67 2022-01-08 11:44:31

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

LU344928 wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Interesting paper, here's the full version: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio … Relativity

With related discussion here: https://www.researchgate.net/post/Chall … oretically

But anyway Relativity was already known to be an incomplete theory because of stuff like the twin paradox and the Bell inequalities.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#68 2022-01-09 09:55:40

LU344928

aitor wrote:

...evidence of the roundness of the Earth...

I once had a round-the-world ticket. Always flying in an easterly direction I ended up where I started from. If that doesn't prove the earth is round what does?

Board footer