The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2021-12-28 11:39:00

MiyoLinux

Re: Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas

...and I'm supposed to take your words as truth by faith?

If I swing a pendulum, it will swing.

Please don't tell me that you believe a guy named Ghengis Khan actually existed!

Now...perhaps it seems to have been forgotten that I am playing Devil's Advocate and just having fun here. I can keep going if needed. However, my point is that everyone believes in things that they can't prove. Everyone has faith. Proof may not require faith, but neither does faith require proof. Let everyone be convinced in his own mind and heart.

Just please...PLEASE don't tell me that you believe Leonardo da Vinci actually existed. tongue

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#27 2021-12-28 11:46:53

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

...and I'm supposed to take your words as truth by faith?

Not at all. Just follow through the mathematics and logic. You will find it to be an entirely consistent chain of reasoning that can be backed up by simple, direct observations.

MiyoLinux wrote:

If I swing a pendulum, it will swing.

And it will also precess. That behaviour would only be observed in a rotating frame of reference, as the mathematics of the laws of motion clearly demonstrate.

And no, I don't "believe" in "history". But that has no bearing on whether it actually happened or not.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#28 2021-12-28 11:54:06

hevidevi

All i can say is that the universe, galaxies are very hard to comprehend on how they operate together.

Here is a good video on how we figured out how the earth goes around the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khIzr6610cQ

#29 2021-12-28 12:21:48

MiyoLinux

EDIT: @HoaS...not hevidevi

I clicked the link.

So...I'm just to believe all of that scientific mumbo-jumbo is true?

By the way, I've worked in a scientific field for over 25 years, so I'm poking fun at myself.

One thing I've learned...scientists are human too. Just like workers in any field, some of them lie, cheat, steal, take shortcuts, and falsify data...but the people receiving the results have faith in the information obtained.

...and don't get me started on medical doctors and healthcare...

Anyway...please don't tell me that you believe some guy named Linus Torvalds wrote the code for the kernel used in what we know as GNU/Linux.

I know, I know...there is some guy alive today who goes by the name of Linus Torvalds, and people credit him for the kernel...but did you physically watch him write that code? Do you just accept that he wrote it by faith?

...and getting him to testify that he is Linus Torvalds and he wrote the code won't convince me, because I didn't see him write it. All the people who would testify that he wrote it won't convince me either, because people lie...and he could have paid them off.

In fact, as far as I know, this Manchurian Candidate known as Linus Torvalds is a pawn...created by a bunch of people who have their own agenda to cause divisiveness in whether it should be called GNU/Linux or just Linux...and it only shows that they will stop at nothing to push their agenda.

So go ahead and drink the koolaid...

By the way...I believe in Santa Claus. Sure...I can't prove that he's real, but you can't prove that he's not. tongue

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2021-12-28 12:27:57)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#30 2021-12-28 12:41:46

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

but the people receiving the results have faith in the information obtained

Not really, that's what peer review is all about wink

The experiments in any published papers can be independently reproduced and the results can be checked.

MiyoLinux wrote:

...and don't get me started on medical doctors and healthcare...

Did you know I trained as a medical student? tongue

#31 2021-12-28 13:20:37

MiyoLinux

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Not really, that's what peer review is all about wink

The experiments in any published papers can be independently reproduced and the results can be checked.

I'm not talking about that; I was referring to day-in/day-out and on-sight testing where the results are part of the daily operations. wink

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Did you know I trained as a medical student? tongue

No, I didn't.

Here's my request. If you were my doctor, I would hope that you would prescribe for me to complete 10 laps of motorcycle racing of no less than 320 kph, and ending with me just sitting on that beast in order to allow its guttural rumble to calm and sooth my hypertension.

Can you write that prescription for me? smile

#32 2021-12-28 13:50:17

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

You're welcome to ride pillion with me as I deliver various packages around London, England & Wales on my despatch motorbike. It won't do 320kph but I will go fast enough to scare you witless, if that's what you want. Just PM me next time you're in London wink

EDIT: fair warning though: I haven't carried a pillion for about 20 years and I threw the last one 30 yards down the road doing a stoppie trying to avoid the Volvo that broke my pelvis.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2021-12-28 13:52:42)

#33 2021-12-28 16:39:40

MiyoLinux

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

You're welcome to ride pillion with me as I deliver various packages around London, England & Wales on my despatch motorbike. It won't do 320kph but I will go fast enough to scare you witless, if that's what you want. Just PM me next time you're in London wink

EDIT: fair warning though: I haven't carried a pillion for about 20 years and I threw the last one 30 yards down the road doing a stoppie trying to avoid the Volvo that broke my pelvis.

It's a deal!

I grew up riding, and had quite a few spills myself, so I'm good. smile

I cracked my collar bone once and went for over a week in excruciating pain, because I didn't want to tell my parents. I was lying in the floor one day shortly thereafter...moving my arm round-and-round to see if I could work the pain away. Suddenly, there was a loud CRACK. My mother asked what the sound was...

I had broken the collar bone that was cracked.

I have a permanent lump on it, because according to the doctor, the cracked bone had been trying to heal before I completely broke it. yikes

#34 2021-12-28 17:56:13

anticapitalista

Since I haven't seen your broken collar bone, why should I believe your story? smile

Last edited by anticapitalista (2021-12-28 17:57:13)

#35 2021-12-28 18:00:42

MiyoLinux

anticapitalista wrote:

Since I haven't seen your broken collar bone, why should I believe your story? smile

Touché!

smile

#36 2021-12-28 18:01:56

Kelsoo

Never trust a BMW rider (or driver) :-P

#37 2021-12-28 19:10:24

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I started my despatch career on BMW R850Rs but I switched to Honda several years ago. Modern BMWs are horrifically unreliable, sadly.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2021-12-28 19:10:33)

#38 2021-12-28 19:15:02

golinux
Administrator

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Modern BMWs are horrifically unreliable, sadly.

Ah . . . what's in a name . . .

Marketing!

And the sheeple "buy" into it!!

#39 2021-12-28 20:24:11

aitor
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

That behaviour would only be observed in a rotating frame of reference, as the mathematics of the laws of motion clearly demonstrate.

That's truth, because an observer that is at rest with respect to the rotating frame of reference is being accelerated. Indeed, there is a centripetal acceleration associated to the undergoing rotation. So, in the context of the special relativity, such observer cannot be considered an inertial observer and, therefore, inertial forces arise produced by the rotation itself (e.g. Coriolis).

If you work systematically, things will come by itself (Lev D. Landau)

#40 2021-12-28 20:50:15

aitor
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

By the way...I believe in Santa Claus. Sure...I can't prove that he's real, but you can't prove that he's not. tongue

There is another phenomenon that, in spite of it really cannot demonstrate that the earth is necessarily a spherical globe, it does demonstrate, for reasons of simmetry, that it cannot be a flat surface: That is the magnetic field it generates.

Last edited by aitor (2021-12-28 20:51:29)

#41 2021-12-29 19:37:47

alphalpha

i have some disc shaped magnets here wink

#42 2021-12-29 20:47:25

aitor
Website

alphalpha wrote:

i have some disc shaped magnets here wink

LOL! Then, i'm beginning to doubt...

#43 2021-12-29 21:58:08

golinux
Administrator

Thanks to everyone who has made this thread such fun!  All of you are what makes Devuan so special!!

#44 2021-12-29 22:07:28

andyprough

Christian scholars are nearly unanimous in rejecting December 25th, 1 AD as the birth date of Jesus. The Christmas deniers on this forum are in agreement with the Biblical and historical scholarship. December 25th AD 1 is a date that was calculated by 6th century Roman monk Dionysius Exiguus. Catholic scholars seem to agree that a primary motivation of Dionysius was to eradicate the widely used Roman calendar which celebrated 3rd-century emperor Diocletian, a noted persecutor of Christians. Jesus was probably born between 6-5 BC, and some scholars believe it would have been between March and May, depending on their view of the astronomical signs that were recorded.

Nothing that's been brought up here is worth arguing over. Many Christians do not celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25th and see it as simply a pagan festival time that Roman Christians grabbed onto. For me it's a matter of it being part of the fabric of society, as is our wrongly dated calendar. Around Christmas each year I get time off from work, so I spend it with my family like most others. I don't mind adhering to incorrect traditional dates and calendars as long as the trains still arrive on time - no harm no foul.

As far as the fantasy of Santa Claus, Saint Nicholas (Nikolaos of Myra) was a real person, a 3rd century Turkish bishop, apparently quite rich, who apparently liked to anonymously give gifts to poor children. Whenever we sneak a gift to someone, in a way we're carrying on his same spirit and tradition. However, anyone but a child believing in a magical elf in a red suit riding a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer and squeezing down chimneys to distribute gifts, all because they watched some show on TV about a book by Clement C. Moore, is just a victim of Madison Avenue advertising and Hollywood hype - that depiction is all about generating profits for retailers.

#45 2021-12-29 22:32:40

MiyoLinux

I also believe in the Tooth Fairy, and no one can prove to me that the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist.

Also...just as alphalpha has witnessed, every magnet that I own is flat and shaped like a disc. Now I'm starting to think that the earth is flat also based upon the magnetism that I can observe.

I'm just glad the Lizard People haven't taken me captive into one of their pain-caves and bludgeoned me. Yeah...that's right. I'm talking about you Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerburg, and Elon Musk...

#46 2021-12-30 00:00:36

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I celebrate Grav-Mass instead :-)

#47 2021-12-30 00:16:20

golinux
Administrator

andyprough wrote:

Nothing that's been brought up here is worth arguing over.

I am seeing rather playful observations and discussions not arguments.  wink

andyprough wrote:

For me it's a matter of it being part of the fabric of society, as is our wrongly dated calendar.

There are many possible "fabrics" from which to choose.  Why does it always have to be the same.  All yearly observances for whatever reason are boring and annoying and . . . a great way to control the narrative.  "Columbus Day" is embarrassing for any number of reasons . . .

andyprough wrote:

Around Christmas each year I get time off from work, so I spend it with my family like most others. I don't mind adhering to incorrect traditional dates and calendars as long as the trains still arrive on time - no harm no foul.

There are many holidays that provide a respite from the day to day but only one that beats us over the head with nonsense for months in advance.

#48 2021-12-30 01:44:41

MiyoLinux

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

So...basically a good game of Hot Potato will suffice?

#49 2021-12-30 02:47:56

andyprough

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Sir Isaac Newton wrote books on Christian theology. Any serious atheist would have to dismiss his laws of gravity as the rantings of an unenlightened madman. Gravity is fake news.

#50 2021-12-30 10:02:11

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

andyprough wrote:

Any serious atheist

I'm actually a devout agnostic big_smile

andyprough wrote:

dismiss his laws of gravity as the rantings of an unenlightened madman. Gravity is fake news.

Newton's laws have already been shown to be nothing more than a vague approximation, as has Einstein's theory of General Relativity.

FWIW I find Loop Quantum Gravity to be the most appealing of the current theories on offer but we don't have enough data to make any firm statements. Yet.

Board footer