The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-25 10:42:59

zephyr
Website

Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas

Wish the Dev1 Galaxy Forum and all the folks with Devuan a very Merry Christmas and a most Happy New Year!

Cheers

Z

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#2 2019-12-25 07:41:13

roluan17

Re: Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas

Same to you!
Merry Christmas.
Thanks for your work!
Looking for a small LIVE Distro and so I got here. Distrowatch mentions a user Forum (https://sourceforge.net/p/linnix/discussion/) but the link goes nowhere.
Does STAR still exist?
CROWZ is  not mentioned yet on Distrowatch. Where can I get news on what is going on from your side?
Greetings

#3 2019-12-25 08:02:41

zephyr
Website

roluan17 wrote:  Looking for a small LIVE Distro and so I got here. Distrowatch mentions a user Forum (https://sourceforge.net/p/linnix/discussion/) but the link goes nowhere.
Does STAR still exist?

Thanks, Ozi will be happy you pointed that out! A good link for Star is ...
https://sourceforge.net/projects/linnix … =directory

Just uploaded Fluxbox,  It might take a few while the upload is pending with SourceForge.

Thanks again!

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2019-12-26 03:11:21)

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#4 2019-12-25 11:41:36

Camtaf

Seasons Greetings.

#5 2020-12-25 01:39:22

rgl808
Website

Seasons Greetings

#6 2021-12-24 17:33:38

MiyoLinux

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#7 2021-12-24 17:47:06

golinux
Administrator

The solstice is the only event worth noting.  All the rest is just human fantasy.  wink

#8 2021-12-24 21:04:29

Kelsoo

golinux wrote:

The solstice is the only event worth noting.  All the rest is just human fantasy.  wink

Not on my planet :-P   

.....whisky again

My excuse is real but a bit of a stretch... I'm gluten intolerant  so can no longer drink beer!!!!  Anyway: Greetings and good will to all freetards and init deviants

Last edited by Kelsoo (2021-12-24 21:05:29)

#9 2021-12-25 09:03:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Bah humbug!

EDIT: and a happy new year!

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2021-12-25 09:03:49)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#10 2021-12-25 21:35:53

GlennW

golinux wrote:

Simple and direct.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#11 2021-12-26 07:09:15

LU344928

golinux wrote:

Very true. In fact the fantasy comes from the solstice...

A happy festive season to all.

Google is not your friend

#12 2021-12-26 17:41:28

golinux
Administrator

LU344928 wrote:

Very true. In fact the fantasy comes from the solstice...

Yes . . . humans live in a fantasy world. They rarely see things are they are but rather as they imagine them to be.  The source of all our suffering . . .

#13 2021-12-27 06:58:53

hevidevi

Solstice is not really a fantasy...

The winter solstice, also called the hibernal solstice, occurs when either of Earth's poles reaches its maximum tilt away from the Sun. This happens twice yearly, once in each hemisphere (Northern and Southern).

edit: Merry Yule

Last edited by hevidevi (2021-12-27 07:03:06)

#14 2021-12-27 16:56:19

golinux
Administrator

Thanks for a definition/description of the solstice.  I assumed everyone would already know that but maybe I expect too much of humans in 2021 (which is also an arbitrary numerical designation) . . .

#15 2021-12-28 01:55:05

MiyoLinux

LOL!

...and here we have the conundrum of belief.

What I believe may not be what you believe, but according to your belief...what you believe is greater (and more sound) than what I believe; therefore, my belief is inferior to your belief in your belief; however, your belief is no more relevant than the belief of me or someone else. Therefore, to believe something relegates belief to the individual's belief in what is true. Other's truth may not be other's truth. Therefore, be satisfied in your own mind that your truth is the truth...and hope that your truth is truth.

...n'stuff

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#16 2021-12-28 02:18:24

golinux
Administrator

@MiyoLinux . . . Are you suggesting that the movement of planet earth around the sun is a belief?  Maybe the earth is flat too?! LOL!!

Well, perhaps a flat earth belief is going to make it into your neighborhood school . . . You never know these days . . .

#17 2021-12-28 05:56:20

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

I would have thought that the belief component in this fabulously interesting discussion would be regarding the note-worthiness of certain days or not rather than whether postulated astronomical situations happen to arise or not.

#18 2021-12-28 09:33:04

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

@MiyoLinux . . . Are you suggesting that the movement of planet earth around the sun is a belief?  Maybe the earth is flat too?! LOL!!

Well, perhaps a flat earth belief is going to make it into your neighborhood school . . . You never know these days . . .

Wha'the?

Okay...I'll play Devil's Advocate for the fun of it...

smile  tongue

Have you ever personally witnessed planet earth moving around the sun? I will go out on a llimb here and venture to say that you haven't...that you've never taken a trip into space far enough out in order to see (for yourself) that planet earth does indeed move around the sun...

...or...

...do you accept that belief by faith?

Faith in what you've learned from others.

Faith in what you learned from books.

Faith in what others have taught you to believe to be true.

How can you personally verify that it's true?

As far as we can attest, there's this bright light that appears in the sky each morning, and it disappears later in the evening.

In fact, how do you know that there was a person named George Washington...who is ascribed as being "the father of our nation"...the "first President of the United States"?

Did you ever witness him for yourself, or do you accept that he existed and that his exploits are true by faith?

Faith in what you learned from others.

Faith in what you learned from books.

Faith in what others have taught you to be true.

...and don't point to history books. After all, human beings are notorious liars and history can be falsified. We can only put our faith in this story about this supposed man called George Washington...and hope that some shifty people didn't make it all up because they thought it would make a good story.

And don't point to paintings of him. Paintings only prove that an artist painted something...well...unless you were alive to see George Washington pose for said paintings.

And don't point to signatures of him. All that proves is someone signed that name. Signatures are easily and often forged.

And don't point to his image on bills and coins. All that proves is that some guy's image is on them.

Truth be known, you weren't alive centuries ago to verify if Washington actually existed and did the things ascribed to him.

How do you know that the person (and history) of George Washington is true if you didn't live back then and verify it for yourself?

I would venture to say that you accept George Washington by faith.

...n'stuff tongue

...but that's okay. I won't make fun of you for believing in him even though you can't prove that he existed. tongue

#19 2021-12-28 10:32:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

Have you ever personally witnessed planet earth moving around the sun?

I can discern the spheroid nature of our planet by simply going to the beach and observing the horizon — the tops of the ships appear before the rest. This can only be true if the surface is curving away from my observation point.

This is how people knew the Earth wasn't flat thousands of years before they were able to fly high enough to observe the curvature directly.

For more on this see https://physicsworld.com/a/fighting-flat-earth-theory/

And if you want a good laugh watch Behind The Curve — the Flat Earth people devise an experiment to "prove" their theory but in the last scene in the film it shows the exact opposite lol

#20 2021-12-28 10:56:04

MiyoLinux

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

Have you ever personally witnessed planet earth moving around the sun?

I can discern the spheroid nature of our planet by simply going to the beach and observing the horizon — the tops of the ships appear before the rest. This can only be true if the surface is curving away from my observation point.

This is how people knew the Earth wasn't flat thousands of years before they were able to fly high enough to observe the curvature directly.

For more on this see https://physicsworld.com/a/fighting-flat-earth-theory/

And if you want a good laugh watch Behind The Curve — the Flat Earth people devise an experiment to "prove" their theory but in the last scene in the film it shows the exact opposite lol

Wha'the?

...you quoted regarding the earth going around the sun, but proceeded to talk about the earth being spherical?

I would wager that you believe William Shakespeare was a real person even though you can't prove that he was.

tongue

#21 2021-12-28 11:00:32

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

The spheroid nature of the planet is explained by the (incomplete) theory of gravity and this also explains orbital behaviour.

What is your explanation for the observed behaviour of that weird bright light in the sky?

And no, I don't "believe" in William Shakespeare. Who the hell is that?

EDIT: remember: proof doesn't require faith wink

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2021-12-28 11:05:27)

#22 2021-12-28 11:16:31

MiyoLinux

Wha'the?

So now we've moved to earth rotation?

Can you meet me here in Florida and personally prove to me that the earth rotates? Don't bring any science books or scientific journals.  Just sit me down and show me that it rotates.

...and that weird light in the sky is Ra.

I'd almost be willing to wager that you believe that Napoleon was a real person...even though you can't prove it. tongue

#23 2021-12-28 11:17:30

LU344928

hevidevi wrote:

What I was getting at was, and to put it succinctly, Dec. 25 was originally a pre-Christian festival which celebrated the sun's movement north (by a small degree) thereby signalling longer days and eventually warmer weather.

Google is not your friend

#24 2021-12-28 11:23:25

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

Can you meet me here in Florida and personally prove to me that the earth rotates? Don't bring any science books or scientific journals.  Just sit me down and show me that it rotates.

Try swinging a pendulum. The precession you will observe is caused by the rotation of your reference frame.

For more on this see https://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/pendulumdetails.html

EDIT: apparently there's a demonstration model in the South Florida State College, you should visit it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YauQR4CCCI8

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2021-12-28 11:27:26)

#25 2021-12-28 11:29:26

hevidevi

LU344928 wrote:
hevidevi wrote:

What I was getting at was, and to put it succinctly, Dec. 25 was originally a pre-Christian festival which celebrated the sun's movement north (by a small degree) thereby signalling longer days and eventually warmer weather.

so mythology = fantasy ?

Not trying to be divisive, just trying to understand your point.

Board footer