The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2021-05-01 12:47:56

brocashelm

Re: As Debian 11 moves closer to Devuan. Is there any reason to stay on De

Centralization is bad.

Also, since we've been getting GNU/Linux Mint refugees (myself included), this can influence Devuan's development as there will be more potential beta testers, packagers, and forum regulars who can share their wealth of knowledge. I like it better that way than going big with corporate sponsorships (e.g. Red Hat, Canonical, Microsoft, Intel, HP).

#52 2021-05-02 11:50:26

dice
Website

brocashelm wrote:

Centralization is bad.

Also, since we've been getting GNU/Linux Mint refugees (myself included), this can influence Devuan's development as there will be more potential beta testers, packagers, and forum regulars who can share their wealth of knowledge. I like it better that way than going big with corporate sponsorships (e.g. Red Hat, Canonical, Microsoft, Intel, HP).

yep its good to see mint going this way, have always had a soft spot for mint as it was one of the first distros i installed over windblows.

#53 2021-06-02 20:37:25

mweishaar

I would flip this question around:  Is there any reason to switch to Debian?

I have been using Linux since RedHat 5.1 (1998) and eventually went to *buntus and then Mint.  Over the years I basically forgot about the init system.  When Mint made systemd mandatory, and I started having minutes-long startup and shutdowns, that is when I learned what systemd was.  And it was now the default with no turning back. sad 

That's how I found Devuan, and it just works great for me.  Just like how when Firefox performance went south quickly, I switched to Palemoon.  I know FF has since turned things around quite a bit, but that doesn't mean I just go back to it.  I'll keep using what I use until it does something that makes me want or need to switch.

I have no good reason to switch to Debian (or Mint).  I'm very happy with Devuan, it does what I want and need.  I do like that Debian *might* move back to init choices, because there's something more than a little unsettling about having only one choice for init.  I can certainly understand if systemd is better for admins, and even if people prefer it. 

Personally, if I HAD to switch to systemd I would likely do that instead of going to BSD.  Let's hope it doesn't come to that.  smile

#54 2021-06-14 00:44:43

lightwaves

Hi all, staying with devuan and any other non tyrannical operating systems. Those beings seen and unseen, who have a thirst to dominate everything, have a rude awakening coming very soon. Though some of them, are probably wondering how they have been allowed to try and dominate everything in this realm for so long and when they would be stopped. Well that time is very, very soon. They follow the same strategies always and infiltration and subterfuge is one of their major tactics, ie. superimposing one image on another to create a false reality. Well, it certainly is not false to those attempting to dominate everything, because that is their intention. To subvert systems and concepts and overlay them with their version, to gain control. They use pyramid scheme system overlays, so that a very few can give commands and dominate from that position. Sound familiar, 'systemd'. You will find, that they have used very similar strategies all across this world, in all systems that humanity relies upon. As said, their end time of ruling this realm is almost upon us, rejoice brothers and sisters. The inertia of all their mis-creations is coming to an end. peace love light

#55 2021-06-14 14:15:20

ComputerBob
Website

Instead of trying to remember and re-post it all, I would like to point anyone who wonders about the OP's original question to read my very sincere and heartfelt answer to that question.

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=30200#p30200

As was previously said by others who, undoubtedly, are much more qualified than I am to speak:

"It's about more than the code."

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views since 1998
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

#56 2021-06-26 17:54:06

Tatwi
Website

There's something to be said about purpose built devices; I would prefer to use Devuan over Debian, because Devuan is supposed to work 100% fine with SystemV Init. I know I won't need to fight with the system just to get it work and that means a lot to me!

For me, it's not about "not using ____", it's about continuing to use that which "ain't broke and don't need fix'n"!

#57 2021-09-19 18:05:33

Zen_Floater2

I"m an OpenBSD user and I"m eating this up.  My choice would be Devuan if I were to use Linux ,,, or maybe Slackware 15 in the next century.

I am a human converted into a Squirrel in the 1960's by ALIENS and placed in a MAGICAL FORREST in Oklahoma.

#58 2021-10-08 23:23:11

zapper

Minimalism isn't always pretentious, it depends on what you need and what you want from software whether it be a DE, WM, or what an OS is in general.

To be honest, if Devuan is more then a systemd protest distro, I guess I would've thought it would be fighting more the redhat nonsense...

Not trying to be critical, just sayin, systemd is not the only problem plaguing the linux atmosphere.

Aka, not just systemd, but also, at bare minimum, pulseaudio, networkmanager, wayland as well as systemd. The reason I don't use it as my main OS, is because of that and dbus as well as openssl and java. So meh... to each their own.

I should mention though, a dev I know looked at the dbus code even found in powerkit the application used with draco desktop, fingerprints your hardware...

I have no idea why that is even needed... or what they do with it. Aye...

Also, I don't care about DE's. wink WMs for the win man! smile

I do still have a Devuan VM in case I need it though. I noticed that chimaera has security, updates and regular repos.  I am guessing that means Devuan's newest version is coming out before the end of the year.  Or sooner, not sure which.

But yeah, I would be careful about trusting Debian again till they stop feeding on Redhat's ideas so much.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#59 2021-10-09 09:14:15

Camtaf

Zen_Floater2 wrote:

I"m an OpenBSD user and I"m eating this up.  My choice would be Devuan if I were to use Linux ,,, or maybe Slackware 15 in the next century.

I keep OpenBSD in reserve, as it were, with the ever increasing amount of crud being put into some distros - Devuan is my choice for ease of use.

I was a long time Debian user - until they forced systemd on us, that made me look around for an alternative, first, AntiX, for many years, (after the demise of #! (Crunchbang) Linux), then the move to Devuan, full time, as I now am.

#60 2021-10-12 07:02:31

Spock

For me, not using Debian isnt simply a technical matter of trust regarding their use of systemd, but I stopped using Debian way, way, before systemd. Firstly I could never come to terms with the holier than thou attitudes and the sneering at the users who wanted to install proprietary software, but I at least respected their position on that. Loved Debian, didnt like their policies, decided I would respect them and move on.
Then a while later I learnt just how much money they were taking from global corporations that appeared to be compromising everything I respected about Debian. Even though I disagreed with them, I at least respected them, admired them in fact, until I found out they hadn't enough self respect and restraint and discipline to say no to the money that has now corrupted them. Now I cant even download their Net install without feeling slightly tainted. They have gone from being saintly upholders of the values of Linux to being grubby corporate shills.

#61 2021-10-12 07:38:43

darry1966

Refracta for me over Debian anyday still using the lxde Beowulf spin as a daily works well on a low spec compaq.

Last edited by darry1966 (2021-10-14 07:56:10)

#62 2021-10-12 12:25:02

rolfie

Tatwi wrote:

There's something to be said about purpose built devices; I would prefer to use Devuan over Debian, because Devuan is supposed to work 100% fine with SystemV Init. I know I won't need to fight with the system just to get it work and that means a lot to me!

For me, it's not about "not using ____", it's about continuing to use that which "ain't broke and don't need fix'n"!

Same for me,

rolfie

#63 2021-10-22 08:01:31

rdav

The Debian hybrid Systemd-SysV-OpenRC gives me the creeps.
If I need any app that requires systemd then it's trivial to spin up a MX Linux or Ubuntu VM with Virtual Machine Manager to install the app.

I can't see a reason to move.

Devuan has been rock solid for machines at work.
Easy to maintain and update.
No mystery hiccups, all problems have been figure-outable.
Stable OS for production machines.

All credit due to the Devuan Veteran Unix Admins!!

#64 2021-10-22 14:09:49

Altoid

Hello:

rdav wrote:

... Debian hybrid Systemd-SysV-OpenRC gives me the creeps.
I can't see a reason to move.

+10
Because there is none.

But most important: the OPs original question has_already_been_answered (very wisely) by one of our admins.

golinux wrote:

Trust is a fragile thing and not easy to repair. 
It's about more than code ...

As far as I am concerned, golinux's answer was more than enough.
What else was needed?

I cannot believe time and resources are still being wasted on this thread, three pages long and started eight months ago.

A thread to justify/question Devuan's existence and what it stands for?
Absurd.

A.

Last edited by Altoid (2021-10-22 14:12:20)

#65 2021-10-23 08:43:31

yeti

Altoid wrote:

A thread to justify/question Devuan's existence and what it stands for?
Absurd.

You could have chosen not to add to this, or do you have no free will?
Absurd!

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#66 2021-12-12 14:12:49

swarfendor437

With the advent of Devuan 4 "chimaera", puts most of the other GNU/Linux OS's out there to shame, not least with its accessibility installer included.
There is absolutely no reason in my opinion to leave Devuan at all - it keeps on getting better with every release! As someone who has worked in a service area supporting students with little of no vision (I retired end of August this year), I can now start arguing for Devuan on other mailing lists. Compare privacy intruding Windows (most versions) plus the additional cost of an overpriced screenreader (ok there is NVAccess granted) but Orca wins hands down!

Last edited by swarfendor437 (2021-12-12 14:13:36)

#67 2021-12-12 17:36:53

golinux
Administrator

swarfendor437 wrote:

As someone who has worked in a service area supporting students with little of no vision (I retired end of August this year), I can now start arguing for Devuan on other mailing lists.

Thanks for the positive feedback here and on your other thread.  But perhaps "advocating" might be more a more effective approach than "arguing".  wink

Board footer