The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-04 13:54:52

kjpetrie

[SOLVED] Text dialogues asking pre-install questions in packages

This is really a question rather than a help request. Why do some packages, like task-kde-desktop, contain pre-install text dialogue boxes? In Synaptic they just cause the program to hang indefinitely with the user having no clue why unless they click "details". This caught me out last night when I waited 75 minutes to install KDE before I realised there was a problem.

It doesn't seem to be possible to interact with theses boxes although I eventually discovered I could dismiss them with Esc, so I'm not sure what the point is, given Synaptic can't access them. If options need to be chosen, doesn't the packager need to ensure the package knows the environment and can adapt to display questions in an appropriate way?

#2 2021-10-04 13:59:39

yeti

Re: [SOLVED] Text dialogues asking pre-install questions in packages

Then synaptic should be considered broken or at least incomplete.
Get used to running apt, apt-get or aptitude in a terminal instead and you are on the bright/safe side again.

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#3 2021-10-04 16:36:11

JWM-Kit
Website

With the details switch enabled you should be see the terminal window displaying the output, and you should be able to provide input when prompt. I have done this many times before. 
EDIT : At least that's how I remember it. I don't use synaptic a lot. I can't think of any reason why they would of changed the behavior.
EDIT Again : Just tested it by installing wireshark with synaptic. I was able to select yes or no from the text based dialog. First I just clicked inside the output window then continued as normal. . . .Now I have to go uninstall wireshark wink

I wouldn't say synaptic was broken. Although, It is my opinion the output terminal should be shown by defaults. My advice would be to just leave the "details" option open. I believe once selected it will stay that way until you revert it, I could be wrong on that so feel free to test and prove me right or wrong. Even if it doesn't remember being selected it only a simple mouse click.

I think Synaptic is a much better tool than many of the software centers/stores designed to replace it. I use both it and the command line. Synaptic is a nicer option if you wish to search and browse. 

While this discussion is great none of it actually answer the question.

Why do some packages, like task-kde-desktop, contain pre-install text dialogue boxes?

Most common reason is : If  a package containing a configuration file and is upgraded a choice must be made to either overwrite the old file, or keep it. Since the user could of made custom changes to the config file it is best to allow the user to made the decision.
It is necessary for the prompt to be text based since anything graphical would require dependencies.

Last edited by JWM-Kit (2021-10-04 16:58:25)

#4 2021-10-12 22:24:40

kjpetrie

I see. Thank you. I get that, and I've now find if I click on the console part of the dialogue it will then accept keyboard input. I'm more used to rpm than dpkg, which can mark files as configuration files and then treat them specially depending on whether they've been altered or not, allowing users to examine the files afterwards and merge them as necessary. I don't know whether dpkg has similar functionality, but maybe people don't feel it's trustworthy or just prefer to do it this way.

Anyway, my initial assessment that the questions couldn't be answered was incorrect, so the question doesn't really need answering now. It just shows there can be just enough difference between different uses of the same program (Synaptic/apt and Synaptic/apt4rpm in this case) to trip up those used to the other one.

#5 2021-10-12 22:36:13

golinux
Administrator

Isn't diversity/choice wonderful!

Board footer